PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Isn't auto shielding simply not pressing any buttons like the old times? I don't have any issues with that. It's sort of like a button press but without a button press.

An invisible button!

Auto tackle is available in our settings too currently. It's sort of like a button press without a button press? Not sure if that's what you mean

I think the point is, there are many moments where the game is just doing its game stuff, you just wait until it's done and it gives you control again.

There should be a conscious effort in each action.

I don't know what everybody's imagination of the action of "ball shielding" is, but if you go back to PES 14, it was there on the R-stick. As you carry the ball, and see incoming pressure arrive, you can tilt R-stick towards the direction of incoming pressure. And you'll see your attacking player hold his arm up, push against the incoming pressure. Though, it comes with a trade-off. When your player presses his arm towards the incoming pressure, they are locked into a body-to-body tussle, as a result, your player loses mobility in his movement/dribbling.

That's a VERY conscious decision. You are deciding whether or not you want to take your chances and try to run away from the challenge, or if you want to take action to push back and go force vs force.

That's the "action of ball shielding" I would refer to, since that's the one I've seen in 14 (since removed in 15).

If this action is auto, then it's no longer something we can decide for ourselves. It's the game doing game stuff, and we watch until it's over.

It's a bit more than this type of PES 17 shielding we have currently, where we just try to shield with the player's ass (standard body blocking):

I don't have a PS3 anymore, maybe someone can make a vid of the shielding in 14. The R-stick shielding/push back is definitely something different from standard body blocking.

The solution to this, is just like I said earlier. There's already auto feints and auto tackle features in our settings already. Just give us an on/off switch to auto/manual ball shielding setting as well.

Just for the record, I don't like auto shielding, just as I don't like auto tackles. Coz there will be times I want to decide, maybe I don't want to shield? Just as, sometimes, maybe I don't want to put in a tackle.

It would suck if the game decides this, on its own, for me.

I really hope Konami give us the option to turn off retired players regening into Master League as it ruins immersion for me as I only really buy under 21 players. Hopefully they have a good regen creator this year that randomizes properly and that the new youth players don't have the same face a lot of the time like in PES 2017.

He loves advantage after a foul Zee .. .no penalties since the last patch is shocking.
I've had penalties since the last patch. That is more than before. Before the patch, i had only one.

To be honest, i wouldn't have thought one of those was a clear cut penalty, but i got them...

I've had penalties since the last patch. That is more than before. Before the patch, i had only one.

To be honest, i wouldn't have thought one of those was a clear cut penalty, but i got them...

Really Gerd? I got a good few before the patch but absolutely none since.

He loves advantage after a foul Zee .. .no penalties since the last patch is shocking.
Sorry going into the PES 2017 discussion here but it's not advantage either. The defenders hack me down then clear the ball

Regarding shielding I quite like the body checks and so forth on PES 2017 but would love the right stick tactic that they had on 2014 but it must be contextually correct so that it results into a realistic jostle where balance, physical strength, ball control etc still come into play and FGS smaller doesnt always mean that you going to lose the ball.

It makes say Messi less of a ball carrier than a CR7 which is BS

Last edited:
I had one a few days ago, once I recovered from the shock I missed it....

Lol!. .. I played one game today and there was a blatant foul in the box . .but no.. .nowt given. .. .I don't understand it , before the patch I got quite a few for minor assaults. I don't know why people don't practice penos in training mode . . you can learn how much of an angle to put on the thumbstick.

Really Gerd? I got a good few before the patch but absolutely none since.

I've also had a few Deco, in one match there was one for the CPU and then one for me. I'm seeing more since the patch but playing on Top Player maybe I get more calls.

Regarding PES2018, I'm really hoping that there is more variety in shots from both the CPU and the player and that the passing isn't so arrow like.

After playing quite a bit of 2017 and recording a lot of the games I found myself cutting out a lot of the CPU shots (in the highlights I was doing) because they are always either on target or just past the post. I don't think I have seen a CPU shot go over the bar unless it's a volley.

I've been playing a little of the 'other game', 2016 version, and there was one moment when the CPU crossed the ball along the ground to their striker and he whacked it so hard and high that it went into row Z. There are more random moments in that game and I just hope that there will be more moments like that in PES2018.

I also hope that they bring back the 'free sides select' option so then that I can play cup comps or league playing as all the teams.

Last edited:
I've also had a few Deco, in one match there was one for the CPU and then one for me. I'm seeing more since the patch but playing on Top Player maybe I get more calls.

I'm on Superstar manual ..could be the problem. Geeee are you still playing ML?

seems to me the higher the difficulty the less fouls. on regular and professional i get them. also i get a different game altogether on player camera.

I've no problems with fouls in general. . .I get plenty .. .the penos were also there before the patch. . . .. It's discrimination I tell you.

Only asked because you've gone quiet and I thought that like myself we're getting caught up in the build up to Pes 2018.

I mentioned the post above because I was editing it as you replied and thought you wouldn't have read it all ;)

Haven't been playing the ML as much, I've had good games but I am starting to notice hardly any individuality. I think the 'skill cards' have more of an impact than the stats. So giving it a little rest and playing the 'other game' from last year.

Personally I'm trying not to get too caught up in all the hype, after all it's a short teaser video they show. Until they show clips from actual gameplay that clip guarantees nothing. Just my opinion though. Of course I am hoping that everything is included that we hope for. :)

I mentioned the post above because I was editing it as you replied and thought you wouldn't have read it all ;)

Haven't been playing the ML as much, I've had good games but I am starting to notice hardly any individuality. I think the 'skill cards' have more of an impact than the stats. So giving it a little rest and playing the 'other game' from last year.

Personally I'm trying not to get too caught up in all the hype, after all it's a short teaser video they show. Until they show clips from actual gameplay that clip guarantees nothing. Just my opinion though. Of course I am hoping that everything is included that we hope for. :)

Other game? . . .you traitor . . .when the going gets tough ay? . . Joking . ..you were always a Fifa fan Geeeee weren't you? Or did I get that wrong?. . ..whereas me . . .cut me and I'd bleed Pes .. .I've lost many a comrade in arms over the years. .. none of that fancy proper teams and stadiums for me. .. .no sir no . .. I'll fight Fifa on the beaches etc etc.

Other game? . . .you traitor . . .when the going gets tough ay? . . Joking . ..you were always a Fifa fan Geeeee weren't you? Or did I get that wrong?. . ..whereas me . . .cut me and I'd bleed Pes .. .I've lost many a comrade in arms over the years. .. none of that fancy proper teams and stadiums for me. .. .no sir no . .. I'll fight Fifa on the beaches etc etc.

Me, always a Fifa fan?! No I was and am a PES fan from the ISS days. You only have to look at my link in my signature to see that I was still editing PES5 up until a couple of years ago. Nothing has really touched it since although I prefer PES2017 now because of all the extra features and the harder AI opponent. I still play PES5 to this day with my older brother though and they are the best matches because we are so even. The only Fifa I have really gotten into is FIFA16 which is actually really good.

Every year for the last few years the cycle would be, buy PES, buy FIFA, go back to playing PES5. This year hopefully both games will be good.

Back on topic...I am really looking forward to PES2018 and as I mentioned before I really hope they have the free sides select back again. I used to love doing a league and controlling a different team for each match, it took ages but really added to longevity of the older games like PES5.

Me, always a Fifa fan?! No I was and am a PES fan from the ISS days. You only have to look at my link in my signature to see that I was still editing PES5 up until a couple of years ago. Nothing has really touched it since although I prefer PES2017 now because of all the extra features and the harder AI opponent. I still play PES5 to this day with my older brother though and they are the best matches because we are so even. The only Fifa I have really gotten into is FIFA16 which is actually really good.

Every year for the last few years the cycle would be, buy PES, buy FIFA, go back to playing PES5. This year hopefully both games will be good.

Back on topic...I am really looking forward to PES2018 and as I mentioned before I really hope they have the free sides select back again. I used to love doing a league and controlling a different team for each match, it took ages but really added to longevity of the older games like PES5.

I understand Geee . .. you know I'm a messer who likes to wind people up.. . .there's a different clip on facebook of neymar or somebody shaping up to hit the ball. . we'll end up with a week of dissecting his hair and everything in it.

As a master league player, the cutscene sounds like another shit attempt to add content to a piss poor mode. We need stadia, better commentary and a realistic transfer/schedule system. An a day/night selector.

A few bs cutscenes are just gonna kill it forever.

Did i mention we need more stadia?

IMO the call for manual gameplay has killed PES.

With regards to manual direction when passing/shooting I can see your point but when automatic decisions are made for the player I am controlling then I wholeheartedly disagree.

When we've gotten to a point where the A.I decides on my players actions automatically through his attributes and there is less and less input from the user to help improve individuality then where is the fun/achievement in that?

There needs to be a balance between the 2 and imo PES leans too far towards automation hence the feel of scripting

With regards to manual direction when passing/shooting I can see your point but when automatic decisions are made for the player I am controlling then I wholeheartedly disagree.

When we've gotten to a point where the A.I decides on my players actions automatically through his attributes and there is less and less input from the user to help improve individuality then where is the fun/achievement in that?

There needs to be a balance between the 2 and imo PES leans too far towards automation hence the feel of scripting

All manual does is put you in control of the direction of the ball .. ..the difference in players stats are still there. .I could never play assisted again . .it's too easy.

As a master league player, the cutscene sounds like another shit attempt to add content to a piss poor mode. We need stadia, better commentary and a realistic transfer/schedule system. An a day/night selector.

A few bs cutscenes are just gonna kill it forever.

Did i mention we need more stadia?

Next year i think we will have 4-5 new stadiums. Unless they hired much more people working on them i don't see how they could add more than that.

All manual does is put you in control of the direction of the ball .. ..the difference in players stats are still there. .I could never play assisted again . .it's too easy.
yeah, never again. i've been playing for ages now on manual. i set it to auto a few times for testing against buddies at home, but never had that freedom of passing offered by manual control. for me its on manual not for the raised difficulty but form the freedom of passing. i want to decide when and where to put the ball.

Next year i think we will have 4-5 new stadiums. Unless they hired much more people working on them i don't see how they could add more than that.

partnerships deals is what where getting just don't know how many, my guess it's AS Monico, S.L. Benfica, Inter Milan. Because these are the three leagues we don't have partnerships in and they have Champions League pedigree.

yeah, never again. i've been playing for ages now on manual. i set it to auto a few times for testing against buddies at home, but never had that freedom of passing offered by manual control. for me its on manual not for the raised difficulty but form the freedom of passing. i want to decide when and where to put the ball.
manual controls on player camera you can feel player likeness, stats matter and shootings great, i'll never go back any other way.
Barcelona on regular definitely will give you a game.
I became a big PES fan because of this. I play PS4 version.

Player was off balance and sprayed his shot. Shooting isn't easy or laser guided.

Last edited:
People talk about manual a lot here. I remember PES 2014, I think somewhere in an interview they said it was directed to those that are into manual controls. And look how it turned out to be, a piece of shit game. I'm not against manual people, but not everything should be manual. Just my imo.

Edit: I agree passing should be more manual but I don't like full manual passing, it def eliminates stats. Like Ozil when passing would not feel different from any other player. Semi-Assist based on stats and player input, would be great. Keep Lv1 but eliminate 2 and 3 as well. Full control defending response system from PES 2013 should be a feature again. It's very important.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom