PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Do you not think there is harm if it triggers an animation when you don't need it or doesn't when you do?
In current PES you get locked into the shielding animation, allowing another player to come in and rob you.
Good point(s).

I was imagining it in a way that makes it more difficult to win the ball than just holding down a button for a few seconds, as opposed to having the OPPOSITE effect (i.e. making it harder to keep possession), especially when we're talking about shielding.

I still think we need to play it before we can judge it, though. It's going to be one of those things that will appear in 1,000 different videos before release day without giving us any idea as to how well implemented it actually is...

This contextual ball shield... It could be as great as whole game changer or it could as useful as FIFA's "ball shielding" or "deft-touch" features which nobody ever uses.

But if it's manual I bet most people won't bother use it or even know about it. When it's contextual it happens while you play. We don't need football complication imo. We need fluidity in gameplay.

This contextual ball shield... It could be as great as whole game changer or it could as useful as FIFA's "ball shielding" or "deft-touch" features which nobody ever uses.

Actually, FIFA's ball shielding is grossly overpowered. Any half-decent online-player will spam LT/L2 the entire match because it's so effective (and essentially mandatory). You'll get thrown around like a ragdoll by strong defenders time and time again if you don't utilize it. It's even necessary offline because if you have two players running for a 50-50, or you're trying to break free of a defender, you need to feather LT/L2 or you're going to lose possession. If my back is to goal, then I'll immediately hold up the play with LT/L2. I can then lay it off or try to turn my marker. It's definitely one of my most used mechanics.

Like saintric says below, it's at times... too effective. It's nearly impossible to dispossess the CPU when they start backing up the booty. It's almost comical.

But I digress. Contextual shielding could be OK if implemented properly, but I'd rather have some agency over it. With that said, there are times where I feel my player should position his body in certain ways in order to maintain possession or get a foot in on his own accord.

Last edited:
impressed with whats been said and on show so far this could be a gem of a game and i think im going to grab it on the pc this year then as pes has a great modding community

as for ball shielding playing the AI on FIFA they spam it so much it looks stupid i kind of hope pes does it more subtle

In current PES you get locked into the shielding animation, allowing another player to come in and rob you.
PES is too scripted as it is. Manual shielding all the way for me but effectiveness should be stat related
agreed.........100% probably why they decided to keep it automatic. Playing the AI is frustrating enough.
Also how can a automatic system controlled by the AI "same AI your trying to beet" be a good thing. Automatic = scripting.

Manually controlled stat based is the way to go. Also is the AI going to use it, or just play direct end to end football like 2017?

Last edited:
Shielding should vary. . as in a big strong center forward should be able to perform it better than a small player who could be physically hassled off the ball by an imposing defender.. .having every player capable of successfully shielding wouldn't be realistic.

Shielding should vary. . as in a big strong center forward should be able to perform it better than a small player who could be physically hassled off the ball by an imposing defender.. .having every player capable of successfully shielding wouldn't be realistic.

That would be pure retro arcade.
It would need scaling by player height & weight etc.

That would be pure retro arcade.
It would need scaling by player height & weight etc.

It's tricky, I suppose. Some players are small and featherweight, but are very strong on the the ball due to core strength and low center of gravity. As someone mentioned, you could more or less get a decent approximation by using certain physical stats.

Bhatti just tweeted that we can expect the graphics to be stay true when playing in wide cam. They "figured it out"

Also the player sizes are similar to PES 2013 in size and the pitch bigger.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti/status/865276498734972928

I am getting dangerously hyped.

Don't know zee they had the pitch too small in pes 2014 and for me too big in pes 2013. . .I thought pes 2017 had the pitch size just about right.

They seem to be pretty confident. Confident enough to start showing little pieces and talking about it so early in the year.
I bet they caught EA off guard.

BTW, I see many people talking about the tattoos. Don't expect many more tattoos outside the Partnership teams: Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool (plus some more that may join this year). I bet my ass tattoos will be bound to players in those teams.

Bhatti just tweeted that we can expect the graphics to be stay true when playing in wide cam. They "figured it out"

Also the player sizes are similar to PES 2013 in size and the pitch bigger.

https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti/status/865276498734972928

I am getting dangerously hyped.

PES 2013 relation between pitch and players was perfect.
It seems big enough to discourage you from wanting to run the whole pitch with the same player (if stamina feature is applied correctly).

I found PES 2017 to be claustrophobic and as a result easier to spam long balls accurately. I suspect the larger pitch may affect long pass accuracy and frequency which will be an absolute blessing. At the moment in 2017 you can play crosses and long balls far too accurately with any old player.

They seem to be pretty confident. Confident enough to start showing little pieces and talking about it so early in the year.

BTW, I see many people talking about the tattoos. Don't expect many more tattoos outside the Partnership teams: Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund and Liverpool (plus some more that may join this year). I bet my ass tattoos will be bound to players in those teams.

Have you got ass tattoos? I'd say they were sore to get.

They've already stated that...

I always worry when developers show off intricate details like sweat, facial animations, players breath etc as their showpiece examples of how the new game is going to be awesome!
Fuck right off! It's all about what can be seen from the gameplay angle. All those little things are just fluff that should be an after thought and nothing more

Where is manual shielding mentioned?
I saw contextual shielding mentioned but that to me means automatic to the situation, no?
yeah I think I misread.. it says 'automatic' shielding.. I'm hoping that means you press a button and hold a button and it makes your player automatically hold and shield ball... back to the defending player... hope that's the case, and that its stats based..where most players are easily dispossessed... but players like ibra and d.costa would be doing this skill quite easily..

I'm with automatic shielding. I have no desire to press a button to manually shield. Just like the old games.
..yeah I think you are right.. and based on konami, in terms of seabass's control philosophy, less is more... leave the shielding up to auto. Totally contradicts my previous post, but as long as it is stat based.. that's the key....

Back
Top Bottom