PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

imo fixes that should be important for 2019 if they managed to do this list for me id be happy

AI improved vs CPU remove lob ball spam

player switching overhaul in response an absolute must

slower ball speed in some situations get rid of that cannonball effect

shooting add more animations and variety

introduce pace again remove catch up bug

increase stamina effect,injuries on and off pitch, increase fouls, increase red cards in ML especially

imo fixes that should be important for 2019 if they managed to do this list for me id be happy

AI improved vs CPU remove lob ball spam
player switching overhaul in response an absolute must
slower ball speed in some situations get rid of that cannonball effect
shooting add more animations and variety
introduce pace again remove catch up bug
increase stamina effect,injuries on and off pitch, increase fouls, increase red cards in ML especially
This, plus let the CPU hit the ball with power.
I don't know if it's me or what, but it looks like all the shots made by the CPU from inside the box lack power.

This is very noticeable when my keeper parries the ball and one of the CPU attackers gets to it first: he should smash it into the open net, but he just gives it a little knock instead. On the other hand, I've seen the CPU strike the ball with lots of power from just outside the box without any problem.
It just looks to me like the CPU refuses to use power when inside the box. It just makes no sense.

I'd rather they use some sort of ball physics tech/engine that allows realistic trajectories for different, varied and unique outcomes every time the player kicks or heads the ball depending on the way he kicks or heads it and what angle, area of contact it's hit (punched and saved in the keeper's case).

I don't know the difficulty to achieve this, but I'd love it instead of the scripted trajectories and outcomes we know is going to happen every time.

Make the game more lively.

I'd rather they use some sort of ball physics tech/engine that allows realistic trajectories for different, varied and unique outcomes every time the player kicks or heads the ball depending on the way he kicks or heads it and what angle, area of contact it's hit (punched and saved in the keeper's case).

I don't know the difficulty to achieve this, but I'd love it instead of the scripted trajectories and outcomes we know is going to happen every time.

Make the game more lively.

I agree. I'd like a way in which you felt in previous PES that when you had someone hassling you from behind, that you would actually feel that pressure - and depending on your composure stat/ability (whatever it is now), that would determine the shot/pass/etc.

The ball physics in PES 2018 were less alive than they've been in previous years. Cannot remember the last time the ball actually became loose actually.

Player models and physics to me seem to be too "soft". Not as bad as Frostbite (FIFA) soft, but still, something doesn't add up. I think it's too smooth in some respects. Like a wave of animations that are in delay due to button input.

I'd also like the game to become more physical and borderline violent in some respects. Like I said, it's soft. It doesn't feel like anyone will ever get hurt. It's a sport afterall, there should always be a chance of someone getting hurt such as collisions or even off the ball with noone around.

I agree with all the above. If I had a magic wand and I could choose what to fix for next year, it would certainly be the ball physic and by reflex, which is the thing that I probably hated the most about this year, to have an appropriate, stat based first touch error as it was in previous years.

All the predictabilty and the "softness" as Matt said above on contrasts and physical duels fustrated me way more than the surgical cpu or the tactical dullness.

All the predictabilty and the "softness" as Matt said above on contrasts and physical duels fustrated me way more than the surgical cpu or the tactical dullness.
Personally, the #1 frustration for me is the last thing you mention - because so many PES reviews over the last 15 years say "every goal is different", "every match is different", "no two games are the same". (Google "PES" followed by each of those descriptions.)

For me, that's always been PES's raison d'être. Forget "sim", "arcade" and all of that. Tactics made a difference, and every match was different from the last (something the only other football game has never, ever managed to get right).

For all the less-than-realistic physics, psychic AI etc. etc. etc... That stuff was still there. So I was genuinely shocked to play 2018 and find just how diluted AI play had become, and how variation had been replaced by repetition. Changes to the gameplay have clearly (IMO) necessitated a simpler AI that doesn't stray too far from the winning formula, e.g. (lofted) through-balls.

As a few people have said, stepping back to 2017 feels like a step forward, if anything. (A more restricted gameplay engine, but arguably a better representation of football - which is interesting when you consider that you could say the same thing about PES 2014, PES 6, PES 5, PES 3...)

The ball physics should be similar to PES 2014. That’s the last time I remember the ball looking and moving greatly. The passing, shooting, crossing were fantastic. It felt like PES 2013 mechanics but improved with new animations. It lacked variation tho which is improved on this year. Also bring Mass back and I will be satisfied with the new game.

I want them to focus more on game modes this time around. ML should be the greatest career mode ever in the series. Become a legend should evolve as well. Create a mode all about challenges (crossbar challenge, volly/skills football challenge). Maybe a similar mode to Score! the mobile game, play vs legend player to get him on ML or MyClub, trade cards over a match on MyClub, etc. maybe even add a Futsal mode. Come on be creative Konami, I will play the shit out of that game.

Personally, the #1 frustration for me is the last thing you mention - because so many PES reviews over the last 15 years say "every goal is different", "every match is different", "no two games are the same". (Google "PES" followed by each of those descriptions.)

For me, that's always been PES's raison d'être. Forget "sim", "arcade" and all of that. Tactics made a difference, and every match was different from the last (something the only other football game has never, ever managed to get right).

For all the less-than-realistic physics, psychic AI etc. etc. etc... That stuff was still there. So I was genuinely shocked to play 2018 and find just how diluted AI play had become, and how variation had been replaced by repetition. Changes to the gameplay have clearly (IMO) necessitated a simpler AI that doesn't stray too far from the winning formula, e.g. (lofted) through-balls.

As a few people have said, stepping back to 2017 feels like a step forward, if anything. (A more restricted gameplay engine, but arguably a better representation of football - which is interesting when you consider that you could say the same thing about PES 2014, PES 6, PES 5, PES 3...)

I think Pes past greatness that you well recapped ("every goal/match is different") it's kinda like a mix-up between the two things honestly. The way the engine made the teams and the flaw of the game respond differently (tactics) AND the randomness of the single pitch situations (physics) were what made me feel that sensation. When both or, at the very least, one of the two things was well represented, I was gonna enjoy the game no matter what.

I'll make two personal examples. Pes 2009 was dull in physics.. bad player inertia, bad first touch, not so good passing, plain dribbling, rushed animations. BUT.. tactically it was superb, big teams played like big teams, star players of the CPU were so well characterized I think I've never seen it so good after that (I still remember a Konami cup in which I played two times the same game against France, one against Henry, which destroyed me alone, one without.. which I won.. outstanding..).. so, it made for awesome games, and some of the most funny ML I've ever played..
And, Pes5/WE9 etc.. that I think we can all agree, was tactically bad, all the cpu teams played the same all defense module, bad attacking schemes games, no matter if it was Real Madrid or default team.. BUT.. you had a fantastic rythm, top individuality, randomness at every duel, unpredictability and realism in shots.. so, it was anyway the undisputed masterpiece it was..

I simply feel like Pes 2018 failed at both this vital parts, and that's why most of us are where we are. Just restore at least one of those two things and I'll guarantee you I'll play it for all the season.

The ball physics should be similar to PES 2014. That’s the last time I remember the ball looking and moving greatly. The passing, shooting, crossing were fantastic. It felt like PES 2013 mechanics but improved with new animations. It lacked variation tho which is improved on this year. Also bring Mass back and I will be satisfied with the new game.

I want them to focus more on game modes this time around. ML should be the greatest career mode ever in the series. Become a legend should evolve as well. Create a mode all about challenges (crossbar challenge, volly/skills football challenge). Maybe a similar mode to Score! the mobile game, play vs legend player to get him on ML or MyClub, trade cards over a match on MyClub, etc. maybe even add a Futsal mode. Come on be creative Konami, I will play the shit out of that game.
Konami won’t focus on master league. They’ll be obsessed with building on myClub.

I don't know if you guys hang around the winninnelvenblog forum at all but that place is pure MADNESS atm. People really do take this game way too serious in a bad way. I don't think PES 2018 is a fantastic game at all (it's flawed as hell) but some people on that forum has for some reason made it their mission in life to bash the game no matter what. I just can't wrap my head around why you want to spend so much time on a forum of a game that you haven't liked for 10-15 years? Especially when you constantly complain that Konami don't listen to feedback anyway. I bet you are going to feel great when you are looking back at your life and remember that you gave hours and hours of it complaining about a football game that you hated. It's just, well, weird.

Last edited:
I bet you are going to feel great when you are looking back at your life and remember that you gave hours and hours of it complaining about a football game that you hated. It's just, well, weird.
Holy words man.

I mean, there are things I don't like about PES 2018 too (things which I stated several times also here) but I don't feel the need to bash the game day in, day out.
I just don't play it on a regular basis anymore and that's all: I went back to 2017 instead.
I'm having one or two matches with 2018 from time to time (as I pre-ordered it so I don't like to see it there colelcting dust) just to see if it evolves enough to challenge PES 2017 in terms of how good a match feels.
If it did, I believe it could still be the best PES ever.

I did the same with PES 2014 and with PES 2017, after all: I decided they weren't my cup of tea after trying their demos, but I bought both of them after playing them at a friend of mine late into the season and seeing they had improved enough in the meantime.

As you're talking 'bout WENB, let's face it: the PES casual has a point here. The audience has changed, gaming itself has changed, so PES has changed accordingly. No self-proclaimed PES hardcore fan that would love the game to still be what it was more than 10 years ago really stands a chance nowadays.
We can't pretend gaming is still what it was more than 10 years ago, it would be 'covering our eyes with slices of ham' like we say here in Italy.
Therefore, we can't demand PES to still be what it was in the early 2000s.

Why are you so resigned to accept a Pes targeted to casuals? I just can't accept that.

The problem here is that Pes is trying to be Fifa and it's doing a poor job at that. Why are they wasting their time trying to attract people that will never be really interested in it?

Look at the results, Pes vision has been compromised, hardcore fans don't like it anymore, casual fans will always choose Fifa.

There is still space for a much more hardcore game. Hardcore fans are still there, hardcore games still sell. I'm here waiting for the time Konami will understand that.

Pretty much agree with most of the above im glad people see what I can with pes 2018

I have enjoyed my ML this year after accepting the annoyances and trying to explore the game as much as i can to see where it lacks and what you can 'unlock' trying different things but it is very rigid where as football has real unexpected moments

I know saying "in pes 5 6..." is becoming a repetitive remark over the last 10 years but its true you play a ML in those games and you have to deal with suspensions, injuries, games that are stop start with fouls and random moments of play that surprise you

Pes lacks these moments right now to make a ML addictive because you know you can play the same 11 90% of the time you dont have to deal with finding many solutions to problems you just pick a team set it up and play with the odd change by your choice not forced

We all know that PES 2019 will be full of spectacular bicycle overhead kicks after Ronaldo's one in yesterday's match, don't we?. Konami always does this type of thing. Try to recreate some important event/goal in the next game, but they over do it, so you end up seeing 5 goals JUST LIKE THAT in 2 consecutive matches or maybe 3. Just like it happened with backheels this year.

The bicycle thing has been alive and well since Pes 16,remember scoring tons of them in that game.
But I agree,some sort of a repetitive move will surely appear.
Pes 19 will be my first game that I don’t buy on release day.
I think,at least for me,a lot of things needs to be better if I’m gonna buy it this year.
Btw,will it be any more patches on Pes 18?
Still think it’s strange that Fulham and is it Valencia that are official partners without a stadium?

I don't know if you guys hang around the winninnelvenblog forum at all but that place is pure MADNESS atm. People really do take this game way too serious in a bad way. I don't think PES 2018 is a fantastic game at all (it's flawed as hell) but some people on that forum has for some reason made it their mission in life to bash the game no matter what. I just can't wrap my head around why you want to spend so much time on a forum of a game that you haven't liked for 10-15 years? Especially when you constantly complain that Konami don't listen to feedback anyway. I bet you are going to feel great when you are looking back at your life and remember that you gave hours and hours of it complaining about a football game that you hated. It's just, well, weird.

to be honest, a lot of the discussion on WENB was rational and along the lines of the kind of post Chris made above regarding Tactical dilution. Sure, there have always been trolls there and plenty of haters who have no interest in the game anymore and without moderation it's like the wild west. However Since Alan arrived on the scene and took a shit all over the site all hell has broken lose and it's sad to see.

If I play PA1 online,and I set my settings to similar,will it still be PA3 dudes playing vs me on PES 18?
I’ve been murdered lately,by gegenpressing super duper dudes who doesn’t miss a pass.
Should be an age filter to...

If I play PA1 online,and I set my settings to similar,will it still be PA3 dudes playing vs me on PES 18?
I’ve been murdered lately,by gegenpressing super duper dudes who doesn’t miss a pass.
Should be an age filter to...

I can't say for sure about PA1 but if you play with manual passing and set to similar settings you only get paired with other manual passers. I would imagine it's the same for PA1.

I can't say for sure about PA1 but if you play with manual passing and set to similar settings you only get paired with other manual passers. I would imagine it's the same for PA1.
I think I need to set it to manual again,and not play Liverpool every game....
Thanx for the answer pal

to be honest, a lot of the discussion on WENB was rational and along the lines of the kind of post Chris made above regarding Tactical dilution. Sure, there have always been trolls there and plenty of haters who have no interest in the game anymore and without moderation it's like the wild west. However Since Alan arrived on the scene and took a shit all over the site all hell has broken lose and it's sad to see.

Yeah, I know, that's why I was surprised how bad it is atm. And both "sides" are equally bad tbf, it's just so baffling for me personally that you would give so much energy to something you say you have hated for so long now. One would think you would give up after a while...

I think I need to set it to manual again,and not play Liverpool every game....
Thanx for the answer pal

Only problem then is of Course that you have a harder time getting matchups. And I'm afraid it could be even harder for you Xbox-guys since, if I'm not mistaken, Pes is bigger on the ps4. I get matches quite easy in Divisions with that setting but sometimes it can take a while (10-15 min) depending on the time of day

Only problem then is of Course that you have a harder time getting matchups. And I'm afraid it could be even harder for you Xbox-guys since, if I'm not mistaken, Pes is bigger on the ps4. I get matches quite easy in Divisions with that setting but sometimes it can take a while (10-15 min) depending on the time of day
Yes that’s an issue for sure,been quite easy on PA1 getting opponents.

DaBKAFWX4AEmr3f.jpg

giphy.gif

it was bound to happen anytime, but i didn't want Ibra to disappear from ManUtd..
I use ManUtd in Co-op to terrorize people.. and we will miss him for sure

Just wondering here, but would anyone else have preferred the nets from the PS3/360 version? They seem much better to me...

Back
Top Bottom