PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Keepers seem ok, but the shooting :BRICK: Every shot is a bullet!

Indeed. It looks like the same as last year. Its seem that is not the keeper that making the saves but is the shots thats is scripted. Just like previous years. I was expecting more variation on shooting. Ie, the shot curls so far away from the keeper that he has no reaction or something. Dont know how to explain properly since english is not my native language.

Indeed. It looks like the same as last year. Its seem that is not the keeper that making the saves but is the shots thats is scripted. Just like previous years. I was expecting more variation on shooting. Ie, the shot curls so far away from the keeper that he has no reaction or something. Dont know how to explain properly since english is not my native language.

I don't think it has been changed since 2015. I rarely see shots going over the post or miss timed or mis directed ones from guys with poor shooting stats. The game loses it's simulation part the moment I can start predicting how's the shot going to end up even before hitting it.

I remember last year perfectly. When the teasers and gameplay videos started to surface everbody was like "PES 2016 2.0" and that kind of comment. But when the game got out, you all changed your opinions. Because it felt different.

This year will be a whole 'nother story. Because it won't only feel A LOT DIFFERENT but it will look different. Specially for PC players.

So I suggest you guys stop reading too much into it and disecting every little second of every freaking video. I promise you, you will enjoy the game a hell of a lot more when it comes out if you stop doing that.

i herd a thousand more lines added to English commentary but that was a just website i seen. IMO commentary is important for excitement.

I think it might be one of the hardest part for football game developers. There are SO many variables and situations to take into account. Football is an unique sport. FIFA fails in the "emotional" department of commentary as well, so I reckon it might be the toughest part.

I don't think it has been changed since 2015. I rarely see shots going over the post or miss timed or mis directed ones from guys with poor shooting stats. The game loses it's simulation part the moment I can start predicting how's the shot going to end up even before hitting it.

Lack of shooting variety is a major issue that does not seem to have been addressed in years

Its so "easy" to change shooting mechanics. If shoot holding sprint your player will try to kick the ball with full power depending on body positiong. If you are running then you release the sprint button and shoot, the outcame will be different. Maybe a knock shot with a dip in the tragetory. A weaker shot but lethal for a goalkeeper little bit advanced or a diagonal shot diping into the far corner. It looks like Konami are lacking of creativety. Im tired of these ice hockey style shot.

Last edited:
I remember last year perfectly. When the teasers and gameplay videos started to surface everbody was like "PES 2016 2.0" and that kind of comment. But when the game got out, you all changed your opinions. Because it felt different.

This year will be a whole 'nother story. Because it won't only feel A LOT DIFFERENT but it will look different. Specially for PC players.

So I suggest you guys stop reading too much into it and disecting every little second of every freaking video. I promise you, you will enjoy the game a hell of a lot more when it comes out if you stop doing that.

Absolutely! That´s exactly what I meant!

PES Russia, i do understand you and i'm well aware that you are fans who want a better game.
But, still i understand Bhatti's reaction...

Totally agree!

My props to PES Russia though....it wasn´t critics specially against you....keep up the good work!

Sakes, man! The discussion is about a twitter geed AGAIN?

Adam Bhatti is a brand manager for a video game franchise, not the ruler of a fucking country. Get a grip, folks.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2018: Gameplay video analysis by PES Russia
*Light version

Material for analysis:

Timeline: video (not match-time)
d3a8466d1821.png

0:50 Slow-motion effect in replays
0:51 Long freeze-frame
0:55 The interactive crowd
1:06 Late crowd reaction
1:26 Fixed “cross” of ball landing location
2:04 COM takes the ball away
2:04 The ball sticks to the foot when the ball is received
2:12 COM is playing in advance
2:18 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
2:38 COM is covering the shot on goal
2:30 COM plays to the end and gets first to the ball
3:35 Repeat with no spectacular camera angle, 3:47 repeat from a spectacular angle
4:13 COM cool skip past the ball
4:32 A brilliant save game goalkeeper
4:58 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
5:33 Pop-up match statistics
5:44 The player instantly rises after physical contact
7:09 COM plays to the end and gets first to the ball
7:19 Number of passes instead of percentage of accuracy of the pass
7:56 COM gives an excellent pass
7:57 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
8:15 Torres playing with the body
8:40 Foul. Very few fouls in the game..
9:17 The ball sticks to the foot when the ball is received
10:08 COM gives an excellent pass
10:11 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
11:05 The goalkeeper does not immediately fix the ball
11:27 COM gives an excellent pass
13:51 Beautiful reception of the ball/first touch
14:39 The player is blocking the pass

I don't know if you guys noticed this but Monaco was shown in the PES trailer. Does that mean they are fully licensed? It sure seems like it.

DCTTP1eW0AE9-gI

Amen. I think on the surface about of people seem to expect drastic change just for the sake of it. Like Konami have to justify the new digit in the game title or something.

PES 17 is a solid foundation and its only going to get refined by this point, it's all it needs, and even then I can see the improvements to both animations & graphics. The player models & faces have improved leaps & bounds this year & I was contempt with them last year. Remember when they would reuse faces & assests for years?

Remember guys, PES 5 & 6 looked very similar to each other yet they are both beloved & held in very high regard.

Guys, compiling a list of gameplay elements to talk about on the podcast like passing, shooting, crossing, animations etc. Send me your lists please as I don't want to forget anything.

Thanks! Looking forward to having Matt on as well!

Guys, compiling a list of gameplay elements to talk about on the podcast like passing, shooting, crossing, animations etc. Send me your lists please as I don't want to forget anything.

Thanks! Looking forward to having Matt on as well!

Talk about how good the animations are. Also are the animations at a level were they should be or does it still need a lot of work? Thanks.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2018: Gameplay video analysis by PES Russia
*Light version

Material for analysis:

Timeline: video (not match-time)
d3a8466d1821.png

0:50 Slow-motion effect in replays
0:51 Long freeze-frame
0:55 The interactive crowd
1:06 Late crowd reaction
1:26 Fixed “cross” of ball landing location
2:04 COM takes the ball away
2:04 The ball sticks to the foot when the ball is received
2:12 COM is playing in advance
2:18 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
2:38 COM is covering the shot on goal
2:30 COM plays to the end and gets first to the ball
3:35 Repeat with no spectacular camera angle, 3:47 repeat from a spectacular angle
4:13 COM cool skip past the ball
4:32 A brilliant save game goalkeeper
4:58 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
5:33 Pop-up match statistics
5:44 The player instantly rises after physical contact
7:09 COM plays to the end and gets first to the ball
7:19 Number of passes instead of percentage of accuracy of the pass
7:56 COM gives an excellent pass
7:57 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
8:15 Torres playing with the body
8:40 Foul. Very few fouls in the game..
9:17 The ball sticks to the foot when the ball is received
10:08 COM gives an excellent pass
10:11 The imperfect reception of the ball/first touch
11:05 The goalkeeper does not immediately fix the ball
11:27 COM gives an excellent pass
13:51 Beautiful reception of the ball/first touch
14:39 The player is blocking the pass

See, the thing is, although I—and possibly the vast majority of PES players—would probably agree with most if not all of the points you raise, I'm not entirely convinced that highlighting *every* single issue at once is necessarily the best way to bring about the changes we so eagerly desire. We know that currently the team developing PES not only is relatively small, but is also working on a tight budget. It would be reasonable to assume that due to such limited resources, there is only so much that the development team can reasonably be expected to accomplish over any given time frame. Moreover, we know that the PR department (i.e. Bhatti) of PES Productions appears to be more receptive to certain kinds of “approaches” than others. Taking these factors into consideration, perhaps it would be a good idea to prioritise.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely appreciate the amount of work that PES Russia puts in in order to produce such exhaustive analyses/constructive criticisms—and with such persistence, at that. Believe me, I'd love to have a PES that is absolutely flawless, the PES of our dreams so to speak. But, under the aforementioned development/organisational circumstances, I fear that such extensive lists as the one above, together with a non-optimal communicative approach, might appear so overwhelming as to completely fail to produce the desired effect. Therefore, rather than submitting a long list of “problems”—small and big alike—it might be wise to concentrate on tackling fewer issues at a time, with a clear order of priority, and, why not, through an appropriate platform (perhaps a website such as e.g. PESWISHLIST.COM, or something along those lines). In my opinion, doing so would increase the chances that the PES PR team, as the de facto “gatekeepers” between hardcore fans and the development team, be more inclined to “listen” and “pass on” the valuable constructive criticism and suggestions that, if heeded, will actually result in potentially-gamebreaking issues finally getting addressed.

Judging by the footage available online (the IGN 4K video in particular), the improvements compared to last year in terms of animations, player models, ball physics, lighting, and other areas, are outstanding. Especially the animations, a staple of the golden PS2 era, and perhaps one of the hardest and most complex elements to nail. It's like suddenly PES has gone from having average/mediocre animations to having the best and most sophisticated animation system ever seen in a soccer videogame. The sheer amount, variety, and real-life faithfulness of animations (including many micro-movements/touches/feints) now available has by far exceeded what I previously thought possible. I'm talking about completely surpassing even my wildest expectations—no mean feat! PES productions deserves HUGE bravo for achieving this. This cannot be understated: the advances are spectacular.

Now, considering on the one hand the fact that we finally have a wonderful base upon which to build, and on the other the fact that, not only there actually exists a channel of communication with the development team in the guise of the PR team, but also that, however “undiplomatic” at times, the latter has indeed proven to be receptive in certain instances (e.g. they fixed the big shorts, by no means a game-breaking issue, but certainly one that was voiced by the fans), I think a case can be made that the time is ripe to step up our “game” and adopt a new feedback strategy. If our aim is to attempt to positively influence the development of PES, perhaps we should try to find a way to better coordinate our efforts. In my opinion, if we really want to be heard, going forward the invaluable constructive criticism that as hitherto been advanced, separately and individually, by PES Russia, MATT10L, and others, should be condensed and organised into a single whole that is simple, clear, and easy to understand as the coherent articulation of a more-or-less shared ethos. In short: disparate contributors, unitary vision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom