PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Ten simulated minutes of watching Spal (low table Serie A) keeping the ball from me with a passing web that would make golden era tiki taka Barça pale in comparison.. but luckily we don't have fouls that could break such a realistic game flow.. (sorry, I really tilted hard this time)

The real gamebreaking issue this year is the heavy script against AI in ML and the random boost/handicap in my club.At general the rest seems average to good imo despite some issues that seem fixable.I played an exhibition and two random selection matches and the gameplay even on superstar seems pretty decent. In the first random selection match i achieved a very pure football match that finished 0-0 with amazong lost chances and evenly 2-) or 3 fouls conceded from the cpu.

The game really is a mixed bag. For me, these two videos pretty much sums up 2018 for me:

The first one I call "Indefensible AI defending" and its all about the unreliable positioning of players in the game. This is one extreme where my team is in a defensive situation where they should just take up natural positions to cover the opposition players, but where my two CBs for no apparent reason are high up the pitch beyond the opposing CF with my two wing backs standing back leaving him onside. I find it a great example of the game's overall problems with positioning including forwards instantly retreating to defensive positions in stead of going for loose balls.
Its beyond me in this day and age of advances in AI that they can't program it better. Now, I'm no expert but it seems obvious to me that they could "just" have a computer watch a lot of football matches and learn how teams organically position themselves. In any case they should start by hiring someone knowledgable about tactics and such.

Now, the other one I call Danish Dynamite but its really all about the way the game allows you to get creative. Here its a fast build up on full manual with a pin point pass controlled and then lobbed by the striker. It also shows what they have achieved with animations especially in the replay with the striker making sort of a dummy move with his foot. Besides the act of creating, the overall experience in that game was great: the last group fixture in the world cup where a draw would see me through on second place. I started out going behind in a though game against France and I kept pushing on for the equalizer and actually ended up winning it 2-1 with that goal. The game was tense, both teams had their chances and it felt like anything could happen. So the game does have those moments of magic but as most agree a lot of frustration is also in there. The creativety part of it is also shadowed by the fact that the game has to be played on full manual (or passing anyway) for it to really feel rewarding and authentic, which is a reminder that the game still desperately needs to have a default passing (and shooting) assistance that feels like a sweet spot between PA1 and manual combined with a greater influence of stats and contextuality (body position when passing, shooing under pressure and with weak foot etc.).

I know I’m beating a dead horse here and that’s also why we don't even have the Footy United podcast anymore - they had enough and just don't bother anymore (thank you to Hulk for that podcast with B-man).
I wanna end all this by wishing everyone a happy new year, especially the afore mentioned guys; it was a pleasure listening to you while it lasted and I hope you guys will come together for one last farewell podcast! Ideas for that one would be: how it all started and how you guys met, play some highlights of fun and insightful moments from previous podcasts and, of course, why did you stop and how do you see the future of PES and football games in general - maybe with special attention to how VR could change things.

Anyway, happy new year to you all and here’s to hoping (as always) for a great PES 2019!

I gave up a few weeks ago im currently playing PES 4 on the PC I don't care about the ancient tech I have seen fouls been given penalties vs AI, injuries in my ML, stats that really stand out, AI goal variation and play and thats all I want from a football game

I really enjoyed PES 2017 ML but 2018 just wasnt good imo guess ill board the 2019 hype train in may/june again

I think I'm about to take a pause from Pes 2018 as well.

No difficult level, and no passing setting seems to fully satisfy me, with this options it is either too easy/not rewarding enough or frustrating without end. Plus, I think I can't take anymore the fact that this game is 1) probably the most tactically shallow Pes to ever come out (the fact that custom tactics are hard coded isn't surely helping) 2) every.single.team plays exactly the same regardless of their level/stats 3) this damn ball that gets magnetically attracted to players, that is probably the worst of it all and allows the cpu to bypass almost all your interceptations and your midfield every single time that is needed.. no matter if you have Kante, Casemiro and Khedira all togheter.. if CPU wants, the ball will magically reach to the forward after a chain of impossible to stop passes anyway.. I'm tired to no end to see this..

The community already did all the possible, but honestly it's just out of users power to fix the above, it is only in Konami's developers hands.. if at least, in the future, they'll give us real tools to customize the gameplay..

What is really sad about this, is that this Pes has great stuff that I truly love: graphically, thanks to almost perfect player models, animations and most of the lightnings it's the nearest I've ever seen to real soccer .. goalkeepers (at least in their own goal) are magnificent.. I like shooting, I like battles in the box.. there are a lot of small moments that makes me open my mouth in wonder.. I'm sure I'll come back to try out and find a way to enjoy this Pes eventually..

..but unluckily, as I think Chris said time ago.. as of now, Pes 2018 is a great highlight simulator .. and that's not what I'm searching for.. I want variety, I want randomness, I want physicality, I want tactical depth.. and this stuff this year just isn't there the way it should..

(sorry for the rant)

PES 4 or PES 5 had some great details about player injuries, like the medical-bearers that carry the injured player with the stretcher or the yellow cross injured player continuing the match with bandages in the knee.After two years in PS4 2017/2018 i gave also e break to my self from SUPERSTAR nightmare and i'm giving a try to previous PC versions like 2014 and 2013. 2013 was not good simulator but it was one of the best arcade football games. I would like to give arun to PES 6 or its off-springs (2008-2014 PS2 versions), but i played PES 6 for 7 years 2007-2014 so IMHO i got everything could be takne from this game, albeit still being my personal masterpiece.

pretty much spot on Madmac79 there are some real nice aspects to PES 2018 its not a total distaster of a game it looks great moves better than probably any pes game made but the gameplay in laymans terms is a bit of a mess

I wonder how many of the team still there worked on PES 1-6 were many of them shown the door after the next gen pes 2008? maybe the worst thing that happened to football video games is the added complicated things they can now add with new tech yet football is simple game if you get the basics right you already have the basis for damn good game

I don't want to go too far off topic but why can you go back to a 14 year old game with all its ancient gameplay and have shots that spoon over because you shot at a stupid angle, crosses that off target and go nowhere because your player tried it with his weak foot ect ect yet in 2018 its all automated like a rocket? someone is making some terrible decisions in development and need to be replaced they also need to test their games how the hell did those ML transfers get past quality control ?? all they had to do was load up ML go 4 weeks forward in the calender and look at the AI transfers to notice sh*t we have a problem here

@saintric I dont believe they give proper testing before release except for online MyClub content.Also nobody in KONAMI probably plays the game after release neither for testing nor for fun.Or else how haven't they noticed issues in the game like
no fouls,duplicate Paulinho,Duplicate Gyan Asamoah and other small but important quality facts that an amateur like me found in the first week of playing amd editimg the game.If i can do it,a team of professionals could do it better,i hope.

Last edited:
pretty much spot on Madmac79 there are some real nice aspects to PES 2018 its not a total distaster of a game it looks great moves better than probably any pes game made but the gameplay in laymans terms is a bit of a mess

I wonder how many of the team still there worked on PES 1-6 were many of them shown the door after the next gen pes 2008? maybe the worst thing that happened to football video games is the added complicated things they can now add with new tech yet football is simple game if you get the basics right you already have the basis for damn good game

I don't want to go too far off topic but why can you go back to a 14 year old game with all its ancient gameplay and have shots that spoon over because you shot at a stupid angle, crosses that off target and go nowhere because your player tried it with his weak foot ect ect yet in 2018 its all automated like a rocket? someone is making some terrible decisions in development and need to be replaced they also need to test their games how the hell did those ML transfers get past quality control ?? all they had to do was load up ML go 4 weeks forward in the calender and look at the AI transfers to notice sh*t we have a problem here
Completely agree.

Konami need people like you and me in charge of PR. People who will tell Konami what gamers actually want. Not Yes Men like Adam Bhatti who are only interested in sales of the game and looking good.

After online gaming blossomed, now it's all about an arcade game that looks a bit like football but doesn't play like one. Online player wants balance and there you go, the game is balanced by making all players and teams play the same. Online player wants no interruption, there you go, no fouls. Online players want accurate 360 no scope passes, there you go. Online player wants a more attack oriented games, there you go. Online players wants challenging AI, there you go with the cheap scripted AI that is fully RNG.

Guys, don't buy the game. It's simple as that. That is the only feedback they will acknowledge. It's a bit tiring, and i'm tired myself coming here on forums and always complaining. I decided to not buy a Pes game at day one, or new, anymore.

From now on i will only buy it used (if i feel it's a good game), KONAMI will never see my money again until i think they deserve it. I'm expecting a total reboot of the game, the series needs it, but sadly it seems that won't happen for a long time, or maybe never. Just read Adam Bhatti's tweets and you will see he already is asking for patience, saying things like "don't expect Master League to be totally remade in one year, that is a long process".

I'm ready for another year of half assed offline modes and AI. That's why i'm 100% safe to say next (this) year they won't deserve my money either.

My patience is over, i'm not going to support their half assed efforts anymore.

Guys, don't buy the game. It's simple as that. That is the only feedback they will acknowledge. It's a bit tiring, and i'm tired myself coming here on forums and always complaining. I decided to not buy a Pes game at day one, or new, anymore.

From now on i will only buy it used (if i feel it's a good game), KONAMI will never see my money again until i think they deserve it. I'm expecting a total reboot of the game, the series needs it, but sadly it seems that won't happen for a long time, or maybe never. Just read Adam Bhatti's tweets and you will see he already is asking for patience, saying things like "don't expect Master League to be totally remade in one year, that is a long process".

I'm ready for another year of half assed offline modes and AI. That's why i'm 100% safe to say next (this) year they won't deserve my money either.

My patience is over, i'm not going to support their half assed efforts anymore.
Same here. They won't get a penny from me until the game is actually decent again. Which might be never.

I'm not gonna buy it if things stay the way they are, as I already did in the 14-16 period.. certainly will not gonna take it day one or new as well.. but the problem here is that I don't think us hardcore guys will make such a big difference anymore, unfortunately they fully realized that the misfortune called Online/My Club is where the money are and the game is shaped around it.. if anything, I only see it getting worse from our perspective.

After all, they already said they are super satisfied with how Pes 2018 plays, or something along this lines, right? And we are all ultimately asking for a revolution.. well, it isn't coming from Konami next year, that's for sure..

Kids ain't stupid either you know? Kids started playing FIFA back in 08-09 for a reason. FIFA was taking huge steps year after year (from 08 onwards) and PES was at its lowest. So kids tried FIFA. Even way before online gaming mattered. Then they stuck with it and now they are too comfortable with it to even give any other football game a chance.

I also decided to check out from PES after 2017. I just can't believe how a series can go from the utterly sublime in the mid-2000's to what they've served up recently. I am ready to come back if they can develop a current-gen PES 5/6 hybrid - not just graphically but under the hood too. They are as far away from that as they could possibly be.

Anyone can comment if PS4 is better than Xbox One for PES 2018. Debating on which one to get as I have both systems. PC is out of the question.

Anyone can comment if PS4 is better than Xbox One for PES 2018. Debating on which one to get as I have both systems. PC is out of the question.
No difference, have both consoles and I usually play on PS4 because I prefer the controller but there's no difference in the way the game actually plays.

You can add kits on the PS4 version though so if you're keen on having a more licensed and visually polished game then I'd go for PS4 over Xbox.

In few words copy a fifa streets :SICK: ,all is based over the tricks
Futzal in PES has become as Mеme for PES over the years and this looks fake as hell :D but I'm OK with that. More modes more fun. I have 360 hours on 3 vs 3 Co-op modes so ...bring it on!

Last edited:
Happy New Year friends ! Recently, some assemblies about the inclusion of Futsal mode in PES have begun to appear on the Internet. Do you guys think Konami can do a test that is not even friendly in PES 2019? Would it be an innovation or not?

I'm nonplussed at this Futsal thing, but it has the ring of truth. Even if it's not true, it's still true. MyClub already is FIFA Street in essence. Konami is doing what it feels it has to do to keep the series alive. In 2000 and 2005 and 2010 we got a PES appropriate to the markets at the time. In 2018, the same principle applies. Wish we single-players could have a separate game though.

I'm nonplussed at this Futsal thing, but it has the ring of truth. Even if it's not true, it's still true. MyClub already is FIFA Street in essence. Konami is doing what it feels it has to do to keep the series alive. In 2000 and 2005 and 2010 we got a PES appropriate to the markets at the time. In 2018, the same principle applies. Wish we single-players could have a separate game though.

To keep the series alive Konami needs to produce a fun and addictive game of football -- something it hasn't done since PES 6.

Last pes game that made some sense was pes 2014, particularly the asian version.

After that the game has simply taken a very wrong direction in terms of ball physics crossing shooting passing AI. All this options have not been of much help either.

Either thay go back to what made the game great in the past, pes3 and pes5/we9lek being the raw models, or we are left with no footie game.

It has some appeal by being visually good in some department but i find myself more and more bored to death.

Back
Top Bottom