PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

PES 2015 also made sense, but it went downhill after that.

There is an interesting video regarding dynamic difficulty in modern video games:

I'm pretty sure there are similar mechanics in place in Fox Engine PES.

Have been playing a bit over the summer break...Professional level seems really balanced for the way I play.

First two clips were from my Europa campaign as Atalanta and I was playing on manual shooting.

http://xboxclips.com/CalcioCalabrese/26fcb67a-24b8-4530-9757-04ab8dc51c94/embed
http://xboxclips.com/CalcioCalabrese/0bee29df-2e05-4c5d-b04d-339d7b3a48e6/embed

This is from an Argentinean league campaign I'm playing and I've reverted back to assisted shooting.
http://xboxclips.com/CalcioCalabrese/9eb0b10b-beaa-4b3f-a9f6-faf729578763/embed

This one was scored by the AI. I loved the keeper's original save and the AI's finish had me taking my hat off to them lol.
http://xboxclips.com/CalcioCalabrese/aac3985a-020a-4f1b-bf01-4bc18adc3315/embed

I've sort of changed how much PES I play this year, I'm really not sure if it's the game or whether it's because I played SO much PES 2017 that I ended up getting a little burnt out but playing a couple hours a week on this game has really made me begin to enjoy it a lot more.

I started playing again and was frustrated by the whole emphasis on getting it wide and crossing it in for a centre forward so I've just exclusively started playing small CF's and running the false-9 advanced setting. Keen to start another Master League now and start from scratch building a team to play that way, put together a short video from a match last night that was really fun to play.

Also people complaining about the Master League and unrealistic transfers with Liverpool selling their best players. As it turns out...

I've sort of changed how much PES I play this year, I'm really not sure if it's the game or whether it's because I played SO much PES 2017 that I ended up getting a little burnt out but playing a couple hours a week on this game has really made me begin to enjoy it a lot more.

I started playing again and was frustrated by the whole emphasis on getting it wide and crossing it in for a centre forward so I've just exclusively started playing small CF's and running the false-9 advanced setting. Keen to start another Master League now and start from scratch building a team to play that way, put together a short video from a match last night that was really fun to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he9fKxNL7TM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7lwABUri0

Also people complaining about the Master League and unrealistic transfers with Liverpool selling their best players. As it turns out...

Same. I'm having a lot of fun online. Just trying to play with as much freedom and as relaxed as possible. I'm just beginning to discover a lot more what is possible in the game, especially when you play extremely confident and composed. I'm starting to feel like I have the freedom to express myself how I want now...every cushioned touch, every slight shoulder drop. I'm finding the game is only repetitive if we do repetitive things. Vs humans helps too, I've no idea if COM is robotic.

The biggest tip I can offer is, do not think you are forced to pass the ball away when a defender is coming towards you. You can hold your ground and make him look silly, then he'll have to stop eventually coz it isn't working at all. By passing the ball away in panic, especially when you body angle isn't correct for the pass, you are doing exactly what he wants, he just forced a passing mistake out of you.

It also opens up space and time so much more on the field. And you finally get to see your team mates do some off ball movement, coz you have calmed the midfield tempo and the team starts to do its thing. If you get rushed to play quick tempo, you'll never see good "sly" movement from your team mates.

At this point I'm playing my online games in standing speed, not even walking speed anymore.

Confidence and composure is key. I mean, if you rush, you lose the ball anyway...why not just ride the pressure and get good at it. You may lose the ball from under your feet initially, that's why you want to "offload" the ball to someone else (that's what I used to do too in previous games, but this year, the pressure, while still overpowered, there gaps of weakness are larger). Just believe that you can hold the ball for longer than you think you could, eventually you'll get to the point you won't lose it easily. And then you'll realize the whole tempo of the game can be played, much, much, much slower. It's a kind of tempo I've never seen in a PES game before all these years, so that's a good thing I suppose.

Last edited:
Same. I'm having a lot of fun online. Just trying to play with as much freedom and as relaxed as possible. I'm just beginning to discover a lot more what is possible in the game, especially when you play extremely confident and composed. I'm starting to feel like I have the freedom to express myself how I want now...every cushioned touch, every slight shoulder drop. I'm finding the game is only repetitive if we do repetitive things. Vs humans helps too, I've no idea if COM is robotic.

The biggest tip I can offer is, do not think you are forced to pass the ball away when a defender is coming towards you. You can hold your ground and make him look silly, then he'll have to stop eventually coz it isn't working at all. By passing the ball away in panic, especially when you body angle isn't correct for the pass, you are doing exactly what he wants, he just forced a passing mistake out of you.

It also opens up space and time so much more on the field. And you finally get to see your team mates do some off ball movement, coz you have calmed the midfield tempo and the team starts to do its thing. If you get rushed to play quick tempo, you'll never see good "sly" movement from your team mates.

At this point I'm playing my online games in standing speed, not even walking speed anymore.

Confidence and composure is key. I mean, if you rush, you lose the ball anyway...why not just ride the pressure and get good at it. You may lose the ball from under your feet initially, that's why you want to "offload" the ball to someone else (that's what I used to do too in previous games, but this year, the pressure, while still overpowered, there gaps of weakness are larger). Just believe that you can hold the ball for longer than you think you could, eventually you'll get to the point you won't lose it easily. And then you'll realize the whole tempo of the game can be played, much, much, much slower. It's a kind of tempo I've never seen in a PES game before all these years, so that's a good thing I suppose.

Great post!

I think this has been brought up here before but headers/volleys etc when playing on manual shooting, my players just don't react sometimes, they just stand there. This doesn't happen when I use Adv shooting. Does anyone feel the same or am I just slow to react? :)

Reaction of manual headers when shooting has been an issue for years. More so on manual passes, compared to level one assistance

I think this has been brought up here before but headers/volleys etc when playing on manual shooting, my players just don't react sometimes, they just stand there. This doesn't happen when I use Adv shooting. Does anyone feel the same or am I just slow to react? :)
"Don't cross it, wait for me I'll come short because I can't header anyways" - me every time I get a corner kick when playing co-op with my gf :D

Last edited:

Pass it to where the receiver wants the ball, not where you want the receiver to be. That makes all first touch actions less awkward. Kinda a general rule anywhere on the field

Guys, what is the greatest Option File AIO version so far? Maybe with some more teams from Belgium, Turkey. And will it be an option file with winter transfers? In Bundesliga e.g. or do we have to do it manually?

Last edited:
Daytime game against Burnley in the rain and it really had that cold, wet, northern feel to the entire match. Missed a few good chances and rode my luck at a few corners but then had one of those gorgeous PES moments that make me just love this series and buy it every year regardless of how odd it plays at times.

It's a good tip for online players. Basically give them the mentality of holding their composure. I think you could beat a lot of players playing this way.

In terms of the game design, it just goes to exploit just how flawed defending space is. It takes players ages to close down the passing lanes. This is why a true gegenpress will never happen, and why it's incredibly boring to watch as defender after defender are just pulled out of position.

It's a good tip for online players. Basically give them the mentality of holding their composure. I think you could beat a lot of players playing this way.

In terms of the game design, it just goes to exploit just how flawed defending space is. It takes players ages to close down the passing lanes. This is why a true gegenpress will never happen, and why it's incredibly boring to watch as defender after defender are just pulled out of position.

Oh! It's for Online. Ok, that's why I didn't understand the point, because that's what I do all the time (offline player here). Seemed very obvious to me.
Sorry vxcmplx.

Hi everyone, long time lurker here. Nice to see some good discussion going on!

Before I begin I should say I'm a solely 'v AI' player, also exclusively playing fixed cursor.

I went back to 2013 last month in order to have a 7 player pes night and find myself really frustrated coming back to 2018. I'm no expert when it comes to analysing the technicalities of games but for me, there's something off about the AI positioning/space in the middle of the pitch and, perhaps related, the pace at which the AI plays forward. (I don't think the frequency of backheels helps with this at all).

I'm sure this has been gone over before by many with more perceptive scrutiny but it's a massive shame that it does some things really well but having played 2013 which doesn't suffer these problems (but does suffer others obviously!), I now find 2018 wholly unsatisfying to play. I would definitely be playing 2013 if I could get a modern day option file. (I haven't got the DLC so can't download any that are out there).

Just when I get back into PES and myClub and give it a go, get to the final of elite gold against Chelsea top player and guess who pops up with a winner for the AI, unplayable Diego freaking Costa....... Really Konami.... back to FUT I guess.:BRICK:

Just when I get back into PES and myClub and give it a go, get to the final of elite gold against Chelsea top player and guess who pops up with a winner for the AI, unplayable Diego freaking Costa....... Really Konami.... back to FUT I guess.:BRICK:
Yeah I tried out PES League the other night and it was quite laggy from my end to start with, then basically Diego Costa scored 3 goals in 2 minutes as if it was Usain Bolt vs Snails. FFS lol.

And then I played against Arsenal and some guy just kept running into my players without a foul and winning the ball. And with my lag I couldn't do anything. then we matched up again and I just stood on the ball and let him dive in and he couldn't score...

You can, but you need extremely high d line, and a team full of players that can actually run fast. With a 3.5 star team, stuff like that just don't happen.

Case in point, I was pressed to shit using Sassoulo yesterday, against someone who had Tottenham. Literally couldn't breathe. I think it makes some sense, just gotta set it up correctly with the right team.

Lost by 2 goals. I had 0 shots.

not trying to quote you out of context mate, it happened the same to me but it changed when i started playing online co-op. Im addicted to it now.

I enjoyed the 3v3 co-op in the beta but for me, pes has always been about creating a story in Master League so I've never really got into online. I should probably just stop playing 2013 because I know after a few weeks of 2018 I'll get used to it and be fine with it again. I just wish Konami would realise that there were many good features in older games that could be brought back to make everyone happy.

Is there a list of which International teams have proper kits and which don't? I've only seen lists for clubs with fake names and I want to get everything up to speed before I start a Master League. Do edits take effect if they're done after you've started a mode/league?

Nice video! I have really tried your approach in Divisions and it works great for the most part, also u can really feel the frustration in your opponents...;)

Sure you can feel the frustration. Its a 10 minute game in which is supposed to have fun. How much fun you think your opponent has when he can just watch you wasting 70 percent of the playing time by just passing the ball between your defenders?He cant do anything against it,because he can only control one player. So you could easily pass the ball on your half the whole 90 minutes if you want to. Playing this way is pathetic, childish,stupid and unfair. Would you like a match when you would be on the other side? Would you have fun just watching your opponent wasting time on his own half?Dont think so.

Easy there tiger, who said anything about passing the ball around 70 percent of the time? I don't anyway.

But please, tell us how the game should be played. I bet it involves high pressing for 90 minutes...

Not all edits do, but kit edits can be done during an existing master league save.
Thanks - that's ok then. I'm really just going to be changing team names and kits and that's it. Played a couple of ACL campaigns and a Europa League but most teams were licensed. Currently in an Argentinean League season but keen to start a Master League.

Only just tried this game online and now played 30-40 online divisions games. 2018 suffers from the exact same diseases as 2016+2017: relentless pressure whores, easy shooting and paint-by-numbers passing. Even the beta did this better. Overall I find PES 2018 bad - mediocre on- and offline. I'm done with this series, f**k this shit.

pretty much spot on Madmac79 there are some real nice aspects to PES 2018 its not a total distaster of a game it looks great moves better than probably any pes game made but the gameplay in laymans terms is a bit of a mess

I wonder how many of the team still there worked on PES 1-6 were many of them shown the door after the next gen pes 2008? maybe the worst thing that happened to football video games is the added complicated things they can now add with new tech yet football is simple game if you get the basics right you already have the basis for damn good game

I don't want to go too far off topic but why can you go back to a 14 year old game with all its ancient gameplay and have shots that spoon over because you shot at a stupid angle, crosses that off target and go nowhere because your player tried it with his weak foot ect ect yet in 2018 its all automated like a rocket? someone is making some terrible decisions in development and need to be replaced they also need to test their games how the hell did those ML transfers get past quality control ?? all they had to do was load up ML go 4 weeks forward in the calender and look at the AI transfers to notice sh*t we have a problem here

Interesting. Many posts speaking about the lack of variety in PES 2018, i agree, not becuase it cant be unpredictable since I've had some truly special games on PES 2018 but it goes back to my points regarding the Movement sensitivity.

There are too many scripted moments which come from the lack of movement variation!

There are nowhere near enough variables to simulate players spooning shots and miss-hitting crosses. After years of solid award winning quality gameplay from the PS1 to PS2. Konami could fine tune these variables into the 8 directional movement very well, even if it decided to fuck you over with script when it suited the AI.

The issue with PES 2014 to PES 2018 are that if you have space its not difficult to get your balance and nothing stops you from hitting the ball like a rocket in space for you and especially the AI. Where the game works well and hence why tactics are so vital, where you compress the space you get a really nice balance since shots are missed and go off target becuase players don't have the space to easily find their balance. For example in this breathtaking 4-4 i had, the opposition scored two wondergoals becuase i didn't close them down outside the box. This is different to the PS2 gen which which had only 1 type of shooting and it was fine tuned to balance miss hitting shots using it.

For me PES 2018 represent modern football very well, its ranges from either tedious boring, dull, underwhelming to a franking unforgettable 4-3 with retarded defending and thunderous range strikers galore. Representing the sanitised version of the beautiful game we long miss compared to the games 11-12 years ago with PES 5 and 6 which came out in a far better era of football,

I have come to another final conclusion on PES 2018, its 95% the same game as PES 2017, only real substantial difference bar the better implemented 'All out Defense' System and few tactical upgrades. Fundamentally they have upgraded the engine platform which PES is played on and improved the sensitivity but kept the gameplay the same and stopped putting any drastic changes in. Essentially in every upgrade and patch to the gameplay since the Open Beta they have tightened up the freedom in the game and gone backwards to make the game more and more like 2017.

PES 2018 does have the setup for the movement sensitivity of PES 2011-2013 to come back, thing is this will take at least a year to fine tune! When i tap R1, i see programming there like PES 2011-2013 had but there's no animations to manifest this properly PES 2018 i can see is about bridging the huge gap between the PES 2015-2017 solid basic base of a game and the final vision which Konami had on the fox engine manifesting as PES 2019

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom