PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

What through ball setting do you use when playing full manual. I think mines on advsnced and im shit with it. Always end up corking it a mile.

I have my through ball on Basic, I feel that is the best to utilise the players passing statistics for me personally. Or at least, that’s what I’ve found on previous versions. I use manual high through ball more with my L2 button combined with an R2 after touch to put back-spin on the pass to reduce the pace.

I only ever play Zero Assist for passing which generally bleeds over to most other passes, but in previous editions to its detriment. This version they have finally nailed, no longer do I need to fully rely on R2 and pass combined for that short distance pass to ensure it’s accuracy.

Konami have a habit of creating coding for certain elements of the game but never seem to advertise them in their control listings. Which is crazy, but I’ve found them over the years.

Try holding R2 when you pass (more so in previous versions) and see just how much more accurate they are on Zero Passing Assistance, just like the shooting, you will lose pace of the pass as you do power in the shooting.

There is a very fine line between going fully manual on every technique but still retaining the defining core of player individuality that has always been the jewel in the crown of PES.

Last edited:
You’re welcome buddy, it’s nice to see footballing brains you can truly appreciate, so keep them coming brother ;)

I’m uploading one at present which involved a lovely manual chipped through-ball and a instinctive dinked finish like yours.

Funnily enough, as if inspired by our conversation I’ve just attempted a really cheeky dink from close range in my last match and it came off. One for later ;)

This one I loved because after a few interchange passes, a through-ball split the back two and sent my striker away. I deliberately ran in this direction,slightly away from goal to give me the angle for the right-footed dink into the far corner.

After full sprint to stay clear, I slowed up at the last moment (as in real life) to replicate the technique and relevant angle for the attempted chip into the far corner....

And the rest as they say is history.....

This is why I love PES, the replication of technique and fundamentals are absolutely paramount and exactly relevant.

Great stuff buddy I would never think of making an angle for the chip like that .. lovely goal and great run through by the forward.

I have my through ball on Basic, I feel that is the best to utilise the players passing statistics for me personally. Or at least, that’s what I’ve found on previous versions. I use manual high through ball more with my R1 button combined with an R2 after touch to put back-spin on the pass to reduce the pace.

I only ever play Zero Assist for passing which generally bleeds over to most other passes, but in previous editions to its detriment. This version they have finally nailed, no longer do I need to fully rely on R2 and pass combined for that short distance pass to ensure it’s accuracy.

Konami have a habit of creating coding for certain elements of the game but never seem to advertise them in their control listings. Which is crazy, but I’ve found them over the years.

Try holding R2 when you pass (more so in previous versions) and see just how much more accurate they are on Zero Passing Assistance, just like the shooting, you will lose pace of the pass as you do power in the shooting.

There is a very fine line between going fully manual on every technique but still retaining the defining core of player individuality that has always been the jewel in the crown of the PES.

Cheers mate, so Basic is just press the triangle to knock it into space? I think the lack of a through ball is holding me back as im just not confident using advanced as it just goes tits up. Im old and my hands are giving up on me, so im happy just to press X without snapping a finger these days :D

Cheers mate, so Basic is just press the triangle to knock it into space? I think the lack of a through ball is holding me back as im just not confident using advanced as it just goes tits up. Im old and my hands are giving up on me, so im happy just to press X without snapping a finger these days :D

Even on Basic its still pressure sensitive and directional. So the longer you hold it down the more power it will apply, and a small press will result in a less weighted, shorter through-ball.

Jimmy are you on PS4? You can upload the full buildup sequence from PS4 directly to youtube, always good to see what you were seeing as you were playing, and to know what decisions where made and how they were made

I am on PS4 but have never used or thought to use that feature, I'm a little Old School to be honest, but I will check it out. On that particular goal there wasn't any build-up, I dispossessed the centre half.

Nice to see some positive talk about the best parts of this game, and some lovely goals. :)

I'm not sure about after-touch existing though? I think I'd need to see some proof, because I just tried it in free training on zero assist and it never happened. A video showing an identical pass with and without back spin would be appreciated... I doubt it's existence though - if the command happens after the touch, the ball would visibly need to start spinning some point after it's kicked which would look weird and not line up correctly with the technique used.

R2 pass I can believe though, and makes sense technically. When I get the space I use R2 to keep hold of the ball to time a through ball and they are much more successful than when sprinting/dribbling.

Great stuff buddy I would never think of making an angle for the chip like that .. lovely goal and great run through by the forward.

Thanks buddy, one of my favourites so far that one.

If you watch the video again, keep an eye on the keeper, he naturally moves to his left to narrow the angle and cover his near post as any professional keeper would, its rule number 1. But, that leaves him open for that type of chip, probably one of the hardest techniques to pull off in real life, but when you do, it's worth the admission fee as they say. :)

Nice to see some positive talk about the best parts of this game, and some lovely goals. :)

I'm not sure about after-touch existing though? I think I'd need to see some proof, because I just tried it in free training on zero assist and it never happened. A video showing an identical pass with and without back spin would be appreciated... I doubt it's existence though - if the command happens after the touch, the ball would visibly need to start spinning some point after it's kicked which would look weird and not line up correctly with the technique used.

R2 pass I can believe though, and makes sense technically. When I get the space I use R2 to keep hold of the ball to time a through ball and they are much more successful than when sprinting/dribbling.

I don't think we ever see back-spin, I've just always used it slow the pace of it, which is kind of the same thing. It definitely works, that R2 button is a 'Control' thing in general.

Another aspect of this new PES I love is the large variation of the R2 First Touch Pass animations that are now available depending on the player and skill set. As well as the timing and situation of course.

Holding R2 and X as the ball arrives mid-height produces some beautiful first touch passes when timed correctly.

Had one of my best games just now, first knockout round in the Europa League with Liverpool against Galatasaray. Lost the away match 2-0, but still played a pretty patient game up the break. Just after that, an opposite defender desperately saved a corner, but instead gave me a goal. Pretty convenient. But the real beauty was the equalizer, Milner from outside the box, an absolute hammer which went in from the bar. Coutinho then scored at '83 after a fast counter. Galatasaray were knackered at that point, I ended up winning 5-0.

I'm still doing quite poorly in the league, pretty realistic from Liverpool this year I guess. One of the matches where the AI turned on its boring shit-tactics, I won 6-1 (Huddersfield), a man down as well after 1-1. All the signs were there, instant backheels and generally the ability to pass any ball instantly at all times without a 1/100 of a second to process it. But still, it did them absolutely no good, they were utter shit.
I feel that I can almost instantly know if a team is going to play like that, if the AI behaves itself (and often still beats me) it pretty much does so during the entire match, and vice versa.

Can someone please explain how to unlock the option so I can manually edit my player's positions on the sub screen in My Club mode? They seem to be locked to their assigned positions under my current manager.

Another aspect of this new PES I love is the large variation of the R2 First Touch Pass animations that are now available depending on the player and skill set. As well as the timing and situation of course.

Holding R2 and X as the ball arrives mid-height produces some beautiful first touch passes when timed correctly.

Animations in general are superb this year - loads of variation and usually relevant to the situation and my intention. They also match the physics of the ball and your inputs, there are even different animations for R2+B (lofted long pass) than B alone.

I like the animations for little details that you could miss, or not even notice were they not present, such as the GK's exasperated reaction on this goal;

Unlikely scorer of such a piledriver though... Ragnar Klavan... :LOL:

Can someone please explain how to unlock the option so I can manually edit my player's positions on the sub screen in My Club mode? They seem to be locked to their assigned positions under my current manager.
You cant its dependent on the manager. You can change a CMF to an AMF if he is high up the pitch or a CF to and SS but that's as far as it goes. You can also adjust the position within limits but you cant for example change a LWF that is out wide to an SS

Even the tackles look good this year. The push is the push, the tackle is the tackle. The angle of the tackle also determines how far the ball rolls away. Here I barely hooked my leg back and flicked the ball, the ball doesn't go to far because the contact had a sharp angle. Nice detail, not seen this in previous years

im still waiting for the patch cause of frustration with certain parts of game play, but one thing this game does really well and is light years from fifa IMO, is the tactics and the unlimited picture you can create is fkn amazing, there is still untapped depth in that area, cant wait to play again in november

im still waiting for the patch cause of frustration with certain parts of game play, but one thing this game does really well and is light years from fifa IMO, is the tactics and the unlimited picture you can create is fkn amazing, there is still untapped depth in that area, cant wait to play again in november

Jimi you're depriving yourself of some good football, to be honest I don't even notice the faults anymore and will probably pipe up with a "What have you done konami?"after the patch.

Jimi you're depriving yourself of some good football, to be honest I don't even notice the faults anymore and will probably pipe up with a "What have you done konami?"after the patch.
yeah, you reckon just jump on give it another crack, what difficulty you have at buds

Different use cases of advance through ball

I think u get a more "free ball" feeling to it. Less rigid and less locked to target player. U can use it to pick out the pocket of space to pass to, instead of trying to have it snap to a man

Why is sometimes the arrow (bar) green? See at assist to goal. I have seen it rarly at FM games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom