PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

But, I love what FIFA brings, and I wish EA every success in the world with what quite simply is a phenom of a franchise and a true gaming Hall of fame franchise.

Without FIFA, PES could never strive to be all it can be and vice versa.

Both Konami and EA need each other, and it’s the consumer that will forever benefit from this.

True, but lately to me it seems like EA feels like KONAMI is no competition at all, while KONAMI is happy enough with the amount of copies they sell every year. In the end neither is forced to really innovate and we are doomed to years of minimal improvements instead of huge or revolutionary improvements football games so desperately need.

Football games are so behind other genres it hurts me as football fan.

Thank-you, my favourite so far is this Stevie G/ Lampard style barnstomer...

Wow, that stayed hit! Keeper no chance.

My most satisfying one might be the first one here by Wanyama;

The shooting is great when the ball is off the deck, teed up for half-volleys etc. So tempting to have a pop.

Last edited:
Wow, that stayed hit! Keeper no chance.

My most satisfying one might be the first one here by Wanyama;

The shooting is great when the ball is off the deck, teed up for half-volleys etc. So tempting to have a pop.

Amen to that, PES has always looked to replicate the physics of the technical side of the game, and if the opportunity arises like both of our goals, they are just begging to be hit.

Superb goal and lovely build up !! ;)

Some talk on nuances.

I like how slow the game is. Really gives u time to think about every touch. If u like walking pace football, there's a lot of fun moments for u to craft out

Eriksen here on the side line, pretty much no need for tricks, just a few simple body shape gestures to telegraph hints of passes. Defenders either have to choose to block passing lanes, or they have to come pressure u. They can only pick one. The game used to be so fast, it didn't matter. Not anymore, you can only pick one. Now defenders are punished for making the wrong decision here. That's also why the relentlessly pressuring guys just get to chase after shadows in this game. The game slower, pressing arrives slower too

Another thing I like about this goal here, is the sombero flick before the goal is not perfect. It used to be perfect from every player, every year. It had no regard for stats. Not anymore, it's really difficult to do a perfect sombero without the bobble and bounce aftermath. Welcoming change

Here's a perfect sombero, for comparison

And then a bonus pinpoint crossing goal. Bear your man, leave him behind clean, open up space for yourself. Lift your head and look. With all the time u have, read the run, measure, gauge power, deliver. All possible because of the slower speed. Also worth noting, this year is the only year I've liked manual crossing (because now with more freedom more organic)

Last edited:
There is only manual crossing though if you have pass assistance off (full manual)? I'm feeling crossing on PA1 can be a bit random to be honest... Sometimes you get a pacey ball whipped into a dangerous area, and others you just get a little dink/poke even with what seems like the same inputs/power, body position etc.

IMO the L1+B early cross is also a bit too direct to the target player, I want to be able to try those Beckham-esque crosses from deep into the corridor of uncertainty but they go straight to the head/feet of the targeted player in their current position... Easily defended by strong CBs most of the time.

I don't know why they changed the controls of it from having a single tap for a regular cross, double tap be a whipped/pacier ball, and triple tap being along the ground. The first two being lumped together means you now have less variety and less chance to trigger the one you want. I wouldn't even mind if trying to hit a pacey cross under pressure or on the weak foot meant just slicing it out of play...

Last edited:
great example that there are no limits with PA0+manual shot (FUMA).
Remember playing you at the beta.

PES18 is realy a great game played on full manual. on FUMA i would rate the game a 86-89.
on PA1 + BASIC SHOTING 75 max.
two diffrent games.

On FUMA u dont care about scripting and other flaws.

for me PES18 only playable on fuma, since PA1 fells like 4.

That goal from the cross shows the unresponsiveness I mentioned on the last page, look at this screenshot from the video, this is the frame that the striker's power bar started charging;

ABimizd.jpg

Despite the ball only being about half way there, instead of shooting first time the striker still chests and volleys from inside the 6 yard box (while the keeper stands and watches). Still a nicely executed goal though!

Plenty of times however, that unresponsiveness and extra touch ends up killing the chance of a goal, or costing goals defensively...

great example that there are no limits with PA0+manual shot (FUMA).
Remember playing you at the beta.

PES18 is realy a great game played on full manual. on FUMA i would rate the game a 86-89.
on PA1 + BASIC SHOTING 75 max.
two diffrent games.

On FUMA u dont care about scripting and other flaws.

for me PES18 only playable on fuma, since PA1 fells like 4.
I see your point, but in co-op online where you can have 3 players all actively pressuring and blocking passes, FUMA is not viable to remain somewhat competitive except for maybe the very best manual players...

Even with manual crosses, you cannot choose the exact type of delivery you want in terms of pace/swerve, there is the B button alone, Bx2 and R2+B, in older games you had more options and a high level of control even with pass assistance.

Last edited:
That goal from the cross shows the unresponsiveness I mentioned on the last page, look at this screenshot from the video, this is the frame that the striker's power bar started charging;

ABimizd.jpg

Despite the ball only being about half way there, instead of shooting first time the striker still chests and volleys from inside the 6 yard box (while the keeper stands and watches). Still a nicely executed goal though!

Plenty of times however, that unresponsiveness and extra touch ends up killing the chance of a goal, or costing goals defensively...
assistance.

Well, thing is for first time actions like these, I charge the power bar up but in my mind, I actually have no idea of how to make contact with the ball, or where exactly the ball will be (height, location, behind me? in front of me? I have no idea).

I just charged it up just in case it was good enough to make a first time shot or header. I'm really just waiting for the game to fill in the blanks for me. And I guess that happens more in PA1 and above?

Because if I had better judgement and awareness of where the ball will be, I'd be doing this instead in this video @2:26

I'd have used super cancel and drifted a bit behind the ball the generate the angle and power for the contact for the header or volley.

But I didn't do that in this case, coz I had no clarity of what I'm actually doing. I just pressed the button and waited for it to complete it for me.

I mean, I think the game doesn't ALWAYS have this "chesting the ball" animation for every first time action you try when you receive a cross. But it does happen occasionally for me too. And sometimes when this happens I just think "fair enough, I wasn't clear how to make that contact myself". But that's the mindset I carry when I play manual, so YMMV if you play assisted. I just keep a mindset of making sure I know exactly where the ball is and how to make contact (see the super cancel video above to see what I mean).

Crossing is one of those things that can easily encourage button smashing. So I don't feel this is all bad. Maybe they should script more poor first touch contact with the ball from crossing, instead of putting a random chest cushioning animation there. Whatever they choose to do, I hope the contact don't come out perfect all the time.

Off topic, I think 2016 was the worst ever with this. Every first touch control was the same from every player, it was just glued and there was no variation.

And then here I have another goal where Dolberg scores a first time header without jumping, just redirecting the ball:

It might have to do with the delivery, the height of ball, the context, the body shape when receiving... Then also the stats. Maybe Forsberg isn't the type of guy I should put on the field if I wanted a diving header at chest height from him. I dunno, I just pressed a button in that case and hoped for the best lol. But that's not ideally how I play anyway

Last edited:
When you charge the shot that far in advance, there is no way it should result in chesting the ball like that... If it's not a suitable ball to make decent contact with then the player should attempt something and miss the ball or not get it on target... Controlling the ball like that then shooting makes no sense.

In your example it was a perfect cross to score from first time (diving header), and really after that control it should never have been a goal. The keeper should have rushed out and punched it...

Like I say, it was a great cross/well exected goal but overall shows some annoying issues in the game and doesn't look very realistic IMO.

When you charge the shot that far in advance, there is no way it should result in chesting the ball like that... If it's not a suitable ball to make decent contact with then the player should attempt something and miss the ball or not get it on target... Controlling the ball like that then shooting makes no sense.

In your example it was a perfect cross to score from first time (diving header maybe), and really after that control it should never have been a goal. The keeper should have rushed out and punched it...

Like I say, it was a great cross/well exected goal but overall shows some annoying issues in the game and doesn't look very realistic IMO.

Yeah I agree with this. In the video I only had clarity in my mind on what I was doing, up until the delivery. The contact on receive I just smashed the shot button.

They need to address the bold part in your post above. I don't think they game has done that well for many years now. First touch actions have been so binary (especially from long balls)

Last edited:
Well, thing is for first time actions like these, I charge the power bar up but in my mind, I actually have no idea of how to make contact with the ball, or where exactly the ball will be (height, location, behind me? in front of me? I have no idea).

I just charged it up just in case it was good enough to make a first time shot or header. I'm really just waiting for the game to fill in the blanks for me. And I guess that happens more in PA1 and above?

Because if I had better judgement and awareness of where the ball will be, I'd be doing this instead in this video @2:26

I'd have used super cancel and drifted a bit behind the ball the generate the angle and power for the contact for the header or volley.

But I didn't do that in this case, coz I had no clarity of what I'm actually doing. I just pressed the button and waited for it to complete it for me.

I mean, I think the game doesn't ALWAYS have this "chesting the ball" animation for every first time action you try when you receive a cross. But it does happen occasionally for me too. And sometimes when this happens I just think "fair enough, I wasn't clear how to make that contact myself". But that's the mindset I carry when I play manual, so YMMV if you play assisted. I just keep a mindset of making sure I know exactly where the ball is and how to make contact (see the super cancel video above to see what I mean).

Crossing is one of those things that can easily encourage button smashing. So I don't feel this is all bad. Maybe they should script more poor first touch contact with the ball from crossing, instead of putting a random chest cushioning animation there. Whatever they choose to do, I hope the contact don't come out perfect all the time.

Off topic, I think 2016 was the worst ever with this. Every first touch control was the same from every player, it was just glued and there was no variation.

And then here I have another goal where Dolberg scores a first time header without jumping, just redirecting the ball:

It might have to do with the delivery, the height of ball, the context, the body shape when receiving... Then also the stats. Maybe Forsberg isn't the type of guy I should put on the field if I wanted a diving header at chest height from him. I dunno, I just pressed a button in that case and hoped for the best lol. But that's not ideally how I play anyway

Press the button with the right tempo and also player ability skill make often the difference, i'm used to play with PA 0 and Advanced Shoot

Love this, a cheeky little manual and high pass dink with R2 for the control of the lobbed pass to set up the flick over the head volley strike....!! Beautiful and all on Zero Pass Assist as always.

This was why I love PES, the ability to recreate your footballing brain on a video game. This deserved more, but the technical side of its intention was beautiful.

It was Le Tissier-esque.

A dinked in through ball, R2 control and direction created the flick and space, then an audacious maxed out chip almost ended the perfect move.

“Close, but no cigar ....!!”

This was why I love PES, the ability to recreate your footballing brain on a video game. This deserved more, but the technical side of its intention was beautiful.

It was Le Tissier-esque.

A dinked in through ball, R2 control and direction created the flick and space, then an audacious maxed out chip almost ended the perfect move.

“Close, but no cigar ....!!”

I agree with you .. all it takes is a bit of imagination and quick thinking .. had this sussed a couple of moves before it happened.

I agree with you .. all it takes is a bit of imagination and quick thinking .. had this sussed a couple of moves before it happened.

Absolutely beautiful that, superb finish and exactly what I said about expressing your footballing brain in a video game, and also the type of classy finish I love to try myself. Gorgeous.

Just scored something similar, I didn’t need to attempt this finish, but it felt natural in my own personal style of play in real life to attempt it. I will upload it, I’m sure you will enjoy.

Absolutely beautiful that, superb finish and exactly what I said about expressing your footballing brain in a video game, and also the type of classy finish I love to try myself. Gorgeous.

Just scored something similar, I didn’t need to attempt this finish, but it felt natural in my own personal style of play in real life to attempt it. I will upload it, I’m sure you will enjoy.

Cheers buddy .. look forward to your vid.

Cheers buddy .. look forward to your vid.

You’re welcome buddy, it’s nice to see footballing brains you can truly appreciate, so keep them coming brother ;)

I’m uploading one at present which involved a lovely manual chipped through-ball and a instinctive dinked finish like yours.

Funnily enough, as if inspired by our conversation I’ve just attempted a really cheeky dink from close range in my last match and it came off. One for later ;)

This one I loved because after a few interchange passes, a through-ball split the back two and sent my striker away. I deliberately ran in this direction,slightly away from goal to give me the angle for the right-footed dink into the far corner.

After full sprint to stay clear, I slowed up at the last moment (as in real life) to replicate the technique and relevant angle for the attempted chip into the far corner....

And the rest as they say is history.....

This is why I love PES, the replication of technique and fundamentals are absolutely paramount and exactly relevant.

Back
Top Bottom