PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I dunno Chuny, I think I like the game and PES series as much as you do but this years version really doesn't feel like any evolution over 2017. If anything it feels like a regression. Master League is considerably worse! I've had to just stop playing all together, it was becoming a really frustrating experience.

I found myself playing against Liverpool as Man Utd on superstar as they pass the ball in my half of the pitch with inch perfect accuracy, one touch passes and backheels over and over and over again.

What's really odd is that I actually think on the pitch this game is the best it's ever been when you take the AI out of the equation! I've played a couple online games against some mates and it's so fun when you're not against the AI. There are fouls, penalties, misjudged passes and it's really entertaining and enjoyable. But offline just feels like such an underwhelming experience.

I've never really enjoyed playing football games online but for PES 2018 it really feels like that playing against the AI is so frustrating and poor that online is the way to go. Particularly if you play against like-minded people that enjoy the build-up aspect to football.

I agree with you mate.
The fact that I enjoy PES 2018 above any other football game that has ever existed doesn't mean I'm not going through what everybody else is going through. It certainly doesn't blindfolds me from picking on all the flaws. I think I simply just enjoy it more than what it pisses me off.

I don't have a different version. My version of PES didn't come with fouls, a deep Master League, and a clever AI.

But as Chris has pointed, many of these flaws have been there for years, so I kinda got used to them. There aren't NEW FLAWS (other than the player switching issue, which is new). But there are NEW IMPROVEMENTS. And that is just what makes me enjoy this year's PES so much.

That is how I would sum up PES 2018: NO NEW FLAWS V.S LOTS OF IMPROVEMENTS.

Specially for us, on PC. Graphically, the game has taken such a big step forward, that is hard for me to see the glass half empty. After what they gave us on PC this year (which is the least they could do, really: Give us the best version of PES) I have no problem waiting another year for a revamped Master League, better atmosphere, proper refereeing, etc.

Although I can see why most of you who are playing it on PS4 PRO are so pissed off. They have already had the massive graphical upgrade last year. They already got used to it. So now it's easier for them to just focus on the wrongs. But for, me on PC, I still find myself getting impressed by the high quality graphics and how realistic it all looks.

They have just gave me enough this year. Call me mediocre, if you like. I may very well be one. But I'm a satisfied one.

For me;

1) Player switching, not an issue. I can switch to players fine (L1).

2) Fouls/Pens , I like how Pes tries to keep penalties and fouls to a minimum. It really needs to be quite blatant before it is given, much better than rewarding players looking for fouls/pens. Was great to see last weekend with Liverpool vs Man Utd, ref was not giving any soft penalties, this is the kind of futebol I like. Was the same complaints last year, very glad Pes keep their pen/fouls philosophy of 'no soft pens/fouls'.

3) Shooting lacking variation ? Of course basic shooting has less variation, try advanced I have plenty of variation with shots.

4) Backheals are fine, great addition to the gameplay for me.

5) AI is much smarter than last year. they block alot more through-balls, track runners etc.

Enjoying Pes 2018, so much to learn, great game.

Well, as much as I'm loving it this year, you really beat me.
What surprises me the most, is that you are probably one of the oldest members currently active in here, having registered in 2003. And usually, the oldest ones are the hardest to please. Strange!

Last edited:
I don't think we should be used to long term issues. That's a wrong attitude and gives them a pass. Instead, we should make our voice heard telling them we want those issues finally solved. Those are the reason why every Pes since a decade feels unfinished,even when there are improvements in other areas.

I don't think we should be used to long term issues. That's a wrong attitude and gives them a pass. Instead, we should make our voice heard telling them we want those issues finally solved. Those are the reason why every Pes since a decade feels unfinished,even when there are improvements in other areas.

Oh no, I never said we should excuse them for turning a blind eye on this and act like the issues aren't there.
What I said is, I can look to the other side and still enjoy the game EVEN WITH those issues there. Meanwhile I can patiently wait for KONAMI to fix them.

It's a whole different attitude. Rather than sitting there, angry, with your arms crossed thinking "I won't play until they fix everything", I prefer to play and enjoy what they did do right, while waiting for them to fix what they did wrong.

I should also add that I find it extremely strange Adam's low activity on Twitter for the past 2 or 3 weeks.
Might be just a coincidence, but he went from being available almost 24/7 to barely tweeting or replying. He mostly limits it to retweeting.

Have others had the classic scenario where your player is blatantly fouled but the ref does nothing. He didn't play advantage, he just didn't see it as a foul.

However, during the next break in play, the same ref goes back and books the opposition player for the the 'foul' that he committed. You know, the foul that I wasn't given a free kick for.

Is that even legal?

Have others had the classic scenario where your player is blatantly fouled but the ref does nothing. He didn't play advantage, he just didn't see it as a foul.

However, during the next break in play, the same ref goes back and books the opposition player for the the 'foul' that he committed. You know, the foul that I wasn't given a free kick for.

Is that even legal?

Yeh that's happened to me a few times . .doesn't make sense.

Just played a game before Champions League. Inter-Milan in versus mode.

This game definitely still offer me something. It was tight. Were really controlling things and got the lead by A. Silva in first half. Everything looked safe but out of nowhere Vecino scored after 65 minutes.
Ten minutes after Eder was alone with the keeper. Bonucci needed to take him down. Red card. Suddenly a draw was fine.

Im not experience this at all in fifa. Im hoping for a good patch and maybe some experiences like this in Master League...

Really enjoying this, ML bit weird at times and the difficulty level certainly ramped up from previous. Professional on Zero Pass Assist feels like Top Player.

I’ve found some great new additions with my favourite R2 button, and I’m collecting my usual videos to collate my usual videos. Have some amazing footage so far.

Finally, they have nailed the Zero Pass Assist system, no more bullshit misdirected 5 yard passes from previous, which I hated but lived with. This is beautiful, as is the R2 first touch pass and subsequent technique based animation.

CPU felt a little samey at first, but as with all PES, learn and adapt, play as you would on the park IRL and every changes. Do what you’ve always done, and get what you’ve always got.

I agree that the game isn't what some of you expected, and flaws from the past are still here, but please don't compare it to PES 2016... The worst PES of pratically all times in terms of balance. Every shoot resulted on target, goalkeepers were totally off, and others things...
What PES 2018 differs is the catch-up bug (or system to balance the game) removal, and there is a bit more space so. The AI isn't worse neither, just without the ball speed matters a bit more now. And the pitch is bigger.
Adds all those things together and you'll probably have a different game flow, more space, less interraction in the midfiled...
There's simple solutions for a good calibration, for me is all about the dribbling, control and passes speed, the game "in possession" must be a little bit slower. But not as much as Fifa 18 (without criticism) as all the players seems to "standstill" and without advancing, with the obligation of using the right stick. It's not a bad thing but the flow isn't natural to play in my opinion, dribbling in PES don't needs changes at all. Just the pacing, the stop and go, a bit more inertia, that's all.

For me ATM, PES 2018 is a better game than 2015 and 2016 for sure, and it plays differently than 2017. There's things that i liked on 2017 and easier to defends, but things added that i really enjoy on 2018 version.
PES 2017 also have the "no fouls" issue.

Also, i'm waiting for the gameplay/cursor patch... But i don't want the catchup comeback, not because i don't like it, but only because it changes the game, from what i saw, it was present in pratically every PES until now, except the 2008 version if i remember well (not a reference)
But for the moment, i edit a lot.

Joga!

Nice seeing you still around Jimmy.

Still enjoying this immensely myself. Some really unnecessary issues here and there doesn't undermine the immense game Konami has created on the pitch.

Going to start my ML after the patch

Need to also mention here that not every shot is a on target regardless of player stats like many se to mention. I personally love the miss kicks and general inaccuracy of the lower rated players. I made a gif of one such incident.

Check out @zeemeister1’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/zeemeister1/status/920406988588240896?s=09

Last edited:
IMO the game is not the masterpiece Edmundo thinks it is, but it is not as bad as people think it is.
The problem is that expectations are sky high and then people are disappointed.

I don't understand that. I buy PES since PES1, how long is that? More than 15 years. PES games were never perfect. And after PES6 Konami went through a very bad period. It seems the company lost quite a lot of hardcore fans then...

Is PES2018 worse than PES2017? I really don't think so. But the improvement is not the big step forwards Konami and people who played it at E3 wanted to let us believe...Perhaps that explains some bitter reactions.

What i don't like is this subtext that people like Edmundo who really love the game, are idiots or "fanboys". Why use that respectless word?

Everybody who visits this forum would be considered by most objective outsiders as a fanboy...i think it's kind of cruel to consider people who are enjoying a video game as idiots...that is intolerance and intolerance should not be tolerated on a forum...

What do i think about PES2018? I'm well aware that it is a missed opportunity, but there are days i enjoy it...of course there should be more fouls and until now i only got one penalty (in BAL mode and the penalty was taken by another player, so i still haven't take a single penalty in this game). But i have thrilling matches fairly regularly.

I'm playing a ML with Newcastle and i had a fantastic match against Man Utd at "Old Trafford". Match ended 4-5. They took the lead with 1-0 and 2-1, then my Newcastle team got to 2-5, but United came back strongly to 4-5...what a thriller great match...there is still some fun to be had in this game...but then again i'm an old idiot and a fanboy...and most people will only remember the positive things in this post...the fact that i mentioned some issues doesn't really matter...sometimes this thread disgusts me.

Where are the days when we could discuss football on this forum, the days of absurd bullshit from joostebrood? I'm getting old.

IMO the game is not the masterpiece Edmundo thinks it is, but it is not as bad as people think it is.
The problem is that expectations are sky high and then people are disappointed.

I don't understand that. I buy PES since PES1, how long is that? More than 15 years. PES games were never perfect. And after PES6 Konami went through a very bad period. It seems the company lost quite a lot of hardcore fans then...

Is PES2018 worse than PES2017? I really don't think so. But the improvement is not the big step forwards Konami and people who played it at E3 wanted to let us believe...Perhaps that explains some bitter reactions.

What i don't like is this subtext that people like Edmundo who really love the game, are idiots or "fanboys". Why use that respectless word?

Everybody who visits this forum would be considered by most objective outsiders as a fanboy...i think it's kind of cruel to consider people who are enjoying a video game as idiots...that is intolerance and intolerance should not be tolerated on a forum...

What do i think about PES2018? I'm well aware that it is a missed opportunity, but there are days i enjoy it...of course there should be more fouls and until now i only got one penalty (in BAL mode and the penalty was taken by another player, so i still haven't take a single penalty in this game). But i have thrilling matches fairly regularly.

I'm playing a ML with Newcastle and i had a fantastic match against Man Utd at "Old Trafford". Match ended 4-5. They took the lead with 1-0 and 2-1, then my Newcastle team got to 2-5, but United came back strongly to 4-5...what a thriller great match...there is still some fun to be had in this game...but then again i'm an old idiot and a fanboy...and most people will only remember the positive things in this post...the fact that i mentioned some issues doesn't really matter...sometimes this thread disgusts me.

Where are the days when we could discuss football on this forum, the days of absurd bullshit from joostebrood? I'm getting old.

I think you're right. The game still has it's good sides. The same things as always. The game is still very unpredictable compared to FIFA. And actually i don't think Career Mode in FIFA is better than Master League. The team roles in PES actually matters. Players actually are more difficult to in challenge mode compared to FIFA where i after one season was getting everybody without fighting.

Which settings are you using in ML? (normal or challenge mode). And how are you feeling the games in ML compared to Exhibition mode where it's perfect.

I play challenge mode. My aim is to stay up, rather simplistic for a team like Newcastle, also had some pretty good transfers...
The game is definitely more scripted in ML than in exhibition. But at times the scripting seems different than in previous versions.

In previous versions the CPU decided that you could not win a match and that was that for the rest of the match...no matter what you did, you would loose.

This still happens from time to time, but there seems to be a new script: one truly shitty half where you end up loosing 3-0 and then it seems that in the second half the scripting stops and you play a normal game. Sometimes you come back or win, sometimes you don't. To be honest, i quite like that now and then... am i imagining this? I've seen it 3 or 4 times until now...

I had a cup match where Bournemouth butchered me in the first half (3-0 down) and where i won 4-3. Come backs like that are great...still no fan of the scripting...

I would prefer another for of scripting, yo uset up the league with a script: for example 20 matches played, your team is third but as an injury crisis and that moment you start your ML or you take over at a club who is last (Hodgson at Crystal Palace), that would be fun...they could combine scenario's and ML. So much more they can do with ML.

I play challenge mode. My aim is to stay up, rather simplistic for a team like Newcastle, also had some pretty good transfers...
The game is definitely more scripted in ML than in exhibition. But at times the scripting seems different than in previous versions.

In previous versions the CPU decided that you could not win a match and that was that for the rest of the match...no matter what you did, you would loose.

This still happens from time to time, but there seems to be a new script: one truly shitty half where you end up loosing 3-0 and then it seems that in the second half the scripting stops and you play a normal game. Sometimes you come back or win, sometimes you don't. To be honest, i quite like that now and then... am i imagining this? I've seen it 3 or 4 times until now...

I had a cup match where Bournemouth butchered me in the first half (3-0 down) and where i won 4-3. Come backs like that are great...still no fan of the scripting...

I would prefer another for of scripting, yo uset up the league with a script: for example 20 matches played, your team is third but as an injury crisis and that moment you start your ML or you take over at a club who is last (Hodgson at Crystal Palace), that would be fun...they could combine scenario's and ML. So much more they can do with ML.

Some of the scripting sets it up as a game of two halves . .gets a bit obvious sometimes but I've often came back well but still got beaten by one goal which feels realistic as well.

I really don't understand scripting. The game is hard, perfect in Exhibition. A real challenge. Why not just have this standard in ML also. My problem is that the game sometimes is feeling different in that mode. Not for the better..

I really don't understand scripting. The game is hard, perfect in Exhibition. A real challenge. Why not just have this standard in ML also. My problem is that the game sometimes is feeling different in that mode. Not for the better..

Matches would be too similar if it played like exhibition.

For me there is only one way to enjoy PES 2018.
Full manual - TP -> SS (champions league).
I am playing with AC Milan and it's big fun and it's a challange for sure.

If i read a few post her and there, i am wondering, do i play a diffrent game.
I get fouled alot, even near the box, ok, no penalty yet, but the real situation didn't appear yet.
Maybe it is of the full manual passing, sometimes i my pass isn't accurate enough, it's a 50-50% ball and fortunatly my player is a step earlier on the ball and oppent fouls, or i get a lot of fouls with dribbling without pressing the sprint button.

Variation in shots.....on full manual...i had a lot of diffrent kind of shots.
some take a curl, some go straight...i have no issue with shots at all.
It is actualy the first PES titel, that i feel, that stats of player matter in passing and shooting.

The only problem i have is with headers after crossing. My player refuse to head a ball.
they constantly try to take volleys. If I use the pass button headers are no problem.
Only solution so far is to use L1 and triangle.....wich feels a little too assited.

Havn't played online yet, because got some internet issues atm.

Matches would be too similar if it played like exhibition.

Yeah scripting has to exist here. I remember back in the days, the much loved PES 5 and PES 6, where I simply got tired of the game after a couple seasons, where I could beat anyone. Game was amazing back then, but boring at the same time.
Scripting makes the game unpredictable to a certain point, wich is good. I like to believe that if you implement the correct tactic, you can break the scripting code. There are some games in 17 where it feels like that. But still, too overpowered sometimes. I am in the 1rst place on my ML, and yesterday I couldn´t win two easy matches. When you can´t create chances it´s one thing. But when I´m creating lots of them, easy ones, and the 60 rated goalkeeper keeps saving impossibly unhuman situations I get a bit suspicious. Makes me turn the game off more then I would like.

'Scripting' makes sense in ML when you take Team Spirit into account. obviously your TS level affects what happens in the game but as everyone in the ML stories thread will tell you the balance isn't correct and hasn't been since they implemented it. An average team with a TS of 50 plays like they are playing through sludge whereas a TS of 100 is like playing on an ice rink.

Scripting is fine, essentially the entire game is a script, it just needs to be more subtle and nuanced and your own user input needs to be able to 'fight' against the script as such. To be fair it seems like something that would be incredibly difficult to perfect on a development side, but the fact that people have been complaining about it in various forms for many years shows that it hasn't and is not going to be worked on in any way.

Yeah scripting has to exist here. I remember back in the days, the much loved PES 5 and PES 6, where I simply got tired of the game after a couple seasons, where I could beat anyone. Game was amazing back then, but boring at the same time.
Scripting makes the game unpredictable to a certain point, wich is good. I like to believe that if you implement the correct tactic, you can break the scripting code. There are some games in 17 where it feels like that. But still, too overpowered sometimes. I am in the 1rst place on my ML, and yesterday I couldn´t win two easy matches. When you can´t create chances it´s one thing. But when I´m creating lots of them, easy ones, and the 60 rated goalkeeper keeps saving impossibly unhuman situations I get a bit suspicious. Makes me turn the game off more then I would like.

Is it possible to break the script? I doubt it. ..I've seen some ridiculous scripting but I just shrug my shoulders and let the match play out.

Sorry guys, i don’t play the game (although i have a few times) so i do hold back from posting.

But all this talk about scripting is the main reason i cannot play it. I cannot play one 90 min match if what i do tactic wise and playing wise has no baring on the result.

I completly disagree that scripting was in old games 5, 6, and 2008 PS2. Yes players had off games, made mistakes, keeper fumbled balll in net, chances missed. But that was all stat based. All based (in part) on their Mentality stat amongst others. If any of my players is having an off day, after about 60 mins i would bring him off and it could make a difference to the performance and the result.

Yes there are many times in 2008 PS2 when i am under the cosh but i can hold on or concede. I never get the feeling that the opposition will score, maybe that they could score. When i feel like that i concentrate a lot more (a bit like Spurs v Real Madrid last night) and hoof balls out. Holding on is fantastic feeling, if a player makes mistake and lets them score then to me it is down to the player.

Scripting completely does not exist in the older games, just stats making a difference to some players.

Sorry for rant and off topic. ;)

Is it possible to break the script? I doubt it. ..I've seen some ridiculous scripting but I just shrug my shoulders and let the match play out.

It´s just kind of a theory of mine. Sometimes I feels I´m getting scripted, and as soon as I change tactics, it´s like countering the scripting... it´s not about hacking the game, it´s actually how the game may be programmed. Probably wrong here, but sometimes tactics or the way we approach the match makes a huge diference. I still see heavy scritping sometimes though. I wouldn´t really mind at all, but sometimes it happens for 5-6 matches in a row and the overall feeling is that the game is making all efforts to screw you in the league table.

Sorry guys, i don’t play the game (although i have a few times) so i do hold back from posting.

But all this talk about scripting is the main reason i cannot play it. I cannot play one 90 min match if what i do tactic wise and playing wise has no baring on the result.

I completly disagree that scripting was in old games 5, 6, and 2008 PS2. Yes players had off games, made mistakes, keeper fumbled balll in net, chances missed. But that was all stat based. All based (in part) on their Mentality stat amongst others. If any of my players is having an off day, after about 60 mins i would bring him off and it could make a difference to the performance and the result.

Yes there are many times in 2008 PS2 when i am under the cosh but i can hold on or concede. I never get the feeling that the opposition will score, maybe that they could score. When i feel like that i concentrate a lot more (a bit like Spurs v Real Madrid last night) and hoof balls out. Holding on is fantastic feeling, if a player makes mistake and lets them score then to me it is down to the player.

Scripting completely does not exist in the older games, just stats making a difference to some players.

Sorry for rant and off topic. ;)

Of course it does Geeeeee . .do you think scripting was only put in recently? I remember playing all the old Pes games and when you reached a final or semi -final the script would kick in and you would be hammered. .remember the one where konami thought it was a laugh for your whole team to have purple arrows in a cup final or last league match. C'mon it's always been there Geeee ..it didn't look as vicious because the games were limited.

It´s just kind of a theory of mine. Sometimes I feels I´m getting scripted, and as soon as I change tactics, it´s like countering the scripting... it´s not about hacking the game, it´s actually how the game may be programmed. Probably wrong here, but sometimes tactics or the way we approach the match makes a huge diference. I still see heavy scritping sometimes though. I wouldn´t really mind at all, but sometimes it happens for 5-6 matches in a row and the overall feeling is that the game is making all efforts to screw you in the league table.

I think tactics can lessen the severity of the beating . .in Konami's mind it seems to be a case of them thinking. ."as time passes you will look forward to these beatings".

Sorry Deco, i completely disagree. I know we had this conversation a while ago and we had to agree to disagree.

Regarding the purple arrows that’s just stat based again. It depends on ‘Form’ stat. Since editing the older games for many years now i make sure that very few players in the database have less than 5 for Form.

One of the things i read about most in this and the ML thread is how scripted the game is. It’s what put me off buying it but eventually i did and i experienced the scripting straight away. In last years game there were certain games where the CPU would always score in the first few minutes no matter how many times i restarted. What’s that all about?

I never experienced that in older games.

Gee, i'm 100% sure that scripting did exist in PES6 because i did a test once.
I played with AZ67 against NAC Breda or Rhoda JC and as soon as i started the match it was obvious to me something was wrong. I lost the match in an unfair way and decided to replay the match. I once again lost the match in almost exactly the same way. And then i did something stubborn, i decided to replay until i did not loose.
I replayed that match 28 times and never won. My opponents won each and every time and always the same way. I scored first, and then they scored twice in the first half.
The first attack in the second half produced 28 times a goal for the CPU team and afterwards i pulled one back.

Every single of those 28 matches ended 2-3 and the way the score went was identical every single time, not matter what tactical changes i made...

To be completely honest, i don't remember if it was 28 times i replayed after 2 first attempts, it could have been 21 or 25 or 29, but it was certainly more than 20 times.

I did that only once..nowadays the scripting is less obvious, yes i'm cheating and sometimes i replay scripted matches...now and then i can win them...and in more recent editions i never had exactly the same scenario for a match (i.e. the way the score builds up the same way each and every time).

This is 100% true.

Back
Top Bottom