PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I agree completely. PES2017 wasn't fantastic but it was good and fun and enjoyable to play and it was clearly improved from the last games, there's absolutely no way I can invest any time and effort into a game that appears to be worse than the last years. We can now dribble nicely and the weight feels better but every other aspect of the game has regressed, AI, Modes etc.

It's simply UNBELIEVABLE that a company sells a game that, people like we, PAID MONEY for buying and enjoying it and the same people who PAID MONEY need to modify the game (thanks to our genius modders) for playing and enjoying it.

There's negativity every year but looking back (see my "timewarp" post), it wasn't quite this heavy last year, and there was at least twice the amount of posters. Really concerns me.

Just hoping that November's gameplay patch gives the game a new lease of life.

There's negativity every year but looking back (see my "timewarp" post), it wasn't quite this heavy last year, and there was at least twice the amount of posters. Really concerns me.

Just hoping that November's gameplay patch gives the game a new lease of life.

At this rate none of the old school will bother buying this game next year . .it feels like the patch will be make or break.

The patch won't change my idea about KONAMI and PES development. Let's assume it makes the game much better than it is now, why should that make me happy enough to make me look forward to next PES with hope and positivity? This is not a dayone patch, it's a patch that will be released two months after the game release and i'm not going to happily support that.

Next year it won't be a dayone for me. Will wait until they will release the complete version in November and will evaluate the consensus on here to consider buying it or not.

For me the patch is decisive. I really hope.

I do not think it should be as it is right now, but I still hope for a solution. While FIFA is good, is still cannot get the wow feeling really. Career Mode is still getting a little boring and the games is look like each other after a few games. At the moment, it still is clearly better though.

I hope.. For the unpredictability, PES can deliver when it is best.

It's sad actually. PES really looked strong. FIFA did the same. Right now i'm just disappointed and can't really tell why. Exhibition mode in PES still delivers. FIFA has it's moments, but in the long run is a bit boring.

What i can't understand is that PES isn't communicating. Something. Why not tell us December 1st and maybe deliver the patch ''before'' if possible.

I think it would make things a bit better if we actually knew what to look forward to. We don't know anything.

What i can't understand is that PES isn't communicating. Something. Why not tell us December 1st and maybe deliver the patch ''before'' if possible.

I think it would make things a bit better if we actually knew what to look forward to. We don't know anything.

well that's clearly a cultural thing, they have always been reluctant to communicate about issues or patches because I guess in a way it admits some sort of failure. Kojima said in that infamous PES2014 edge article that the dev culture at Konami isn't particularly modern so it doesn't surprise me to see this closed off behaviour. It would make a hell of a lot of a difference to the types of fan like us on these community websites though of course.

The problem will be when the patch comes, we still won't know what exactly has been fixed within it, all we can go by is the issues that have been acknowledged on twitter by Adam, which aren't many. So there'd be absolutely no point in getting your hopes up for any fixes beyond those.

So much negativity ?
Is the game so bad ?

No, but this year besides the usual long standing issues, some are even worse than last year and the patch still is not released. That's why there is so much negativity.

How would you guys rate PES 2018 and why? How would you rate PES 2017 etc in comparison?

Haven't really played that much. Master League is my game and therefore i am waiting for a patch (for fouls etc.), but also for a option file so everything is up to date.

For me;

1) Player switching, not an issue. I can switch to players fine (L1).

2) Fouls/Pens , I like how Pes tries to keep penalties and fouls to a minimum. It really needs to be quite blatant before it is given, much better than rewarding players looking for fouls/pens. Was great to see last weekend with Liverpool vs Man Utd, ref was not giving any soft penalties, this is the kind of futebol I like. Was the same complaints last year, very glad Pes keep their pen/fouls philosophy of 'no soft pens/fouls'.

3) Shooting lacking variation ? Of course basic shooting has less variation, try advanced I have plenty of variation with shots.

4) Backheals are fine, great addition to the gameplay for me.

5) AI is much smarter than last year. they block alot more through-balls, track runners etc.

Enjoying Pes 2018, so much to learn, great game.

For me;

2) Fouls/Pens , I like how Pes tries to keep penalties and fouls to a minimum. It really needs to be quite blatant before it is given, much better than rewarding players looking for fouls/pens. Was great to see last weekend with Liverpool vs Man Utd, ref was not giving any soft penalties, this is the kind of futebol I like. Was the same complaints last year, very glad Pes keep their pen/fouls philosophy of 'no soft pens/fouls'.

3) Shooting lacking variation ? Of course basic shooting has less variation, try advanced I have plenty of variation with shots.

5) AI is much smarter than last year. they block alot more through-balls, track runners etc.

How are you seeing AI in Master League? Reading a lot of people talking about differences in Exhibition Mode vs. ML

How are you seeing AI in Master League? Reading a lot of people talking about differences in Exhibition Mode vs. ML
My guess is that he thinks it's brilliant (and that he gets penalties too).

I am fully aware that I sound like a dick here, but it's really hard to take someone seriously who's A) never had a problem with anything PES has ever done, ever, B) "doesn't see" the same problems that the vast majority have, and C) uses the phrase "sublime masterpiece" so often.

I mean:

How many people have complained about this? Let alone penalties etc...

Pes 2017 is sublime masterpiece, in which there is so much to learn.
Pes 2017 is a sublime masterpiece. Enjoy !!
Sorry to hear some of you not enjoying PES 2016. Im in love.
(In PES 2017) I'm getting all types of goals, dipping shots by AI, long range screamers.
(In PES 2016) Im getting long-range screamers from the cpu, a good variation of goals from cpu.
(In PES 2017) Im getting penalties for and against in the box, and they always solid penalties.
My fav futebol dev is konami by a country mile.

Again, I'm aware I sound like a dick here. But it's stuff like this that holds the game back. That "timewarp" post I made above shows that some of the big gameplay issues people talk about now, we were talking about last year.

I'd try the game for yourself - we all have wildly different opinions. But when guys like @Deco and @rockstrongo, who are always updating their ML stories in the ML thread and are real PES fans without ever being fanboys, have issues with the game - then I'd say that shows the general reception.

I still think the upcoming gameplay patch might improve things tenfold, though. There's no denying that the game is great on-the-ball, and I honestly think a few tweaks will improve it massively.

Last edited:

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more with this point in particular. There is a difference between not giving any soft penalties and having a free kick near the box once every 5 games if maybe you are lucky, while like one penalty or even ZERO in hundreds games. Like it or not free kicks are a big part of soccer, if the justification for having them gone is "they break the flow of the game" then we aren't talking about a simulation anymore.

And the true irony is that from what I can see they even put A LOT of work in to improve FKs. For example, I just shoot one with Dybala the other day that was IDENTICAL to the one he scored in the real life Super Cup (only, I hit the post). So they introduced a very satisfying system, only for you to almost never use it. It's crazy if you think about it.

My guess is that he thinks it's brilliant (and that he gets penalties too).

I am fully aware that I sound like a dick here, but it's really hard to take someone seriously who's A) never had a problem with anything PES has ever done, ever, B) "doesn't see" the same problems that the vast majority have, and C) uses the phrase "sublime masterpiece" so often.

I mean:

How many people have complained about this? Let alone penalties etc...

Again, I'm aware I sound like a dick here. But it's stuff like this that holds the game back. That "timewarp" post I made above shows that some of the big gameplay issues people talk about now, we were talking about last year.

I'd try the game for yourself - we all have wildly different opinions. But when guys like @Deco and @rockstrongo, who are always updating their ML stories in the ML thread and are real PES fans without ever being fanboys, have issues with the game - then I'd say that shows the general reception.

I still think the upcoming gameplay patch might improve things tenfold, though. There's no denying that the game is great on-the-ball, and I honestly think a few tweaks will improve it massively.
I really hope so Chris.
And one thing I've learned is no matter which of the games I play,it's kinda useless comparing them,and their faults,Pes and FIFA are two very different games,and hopefully stays that way.
But these things people are bringing up must be sorted.
And really hope they do,cause I want it to be fun again,especially when it's so good when being good

For me;

IMO you are playing another game, about point 1-2-4-5 i totally disagree. About 3, they could do better, but is not a great mistake for me.
Gameplay atm is broken, also a kid could notice that

For me;

how can you like pes then . Liverpool v Utd had 20 fouls..7 to 13 ..nothing like pes 18

For me;

This is just sad...

Unfortunately there are enough people like this for Konami to ignore the criticisms. Certain people on Twitter think that the people with issues are just a few bad apples on forums

Not being a smart ass,but which football game has those numbers?
If I play Pes it's 0-2,if I play FIFA 2-2/4-4 perhaps?

Agree here.

I have FIFA with 6 minutes each half, the maximum is maybe 4 fouls?

I don't know how it is this year with rival matches. But maybe there is actually more in these than in FIFA.

And who actually want 20 fouls in a game. Certainly not me. The important thing is that they are having an impact. That you or you're oponnent are making you're life difficult by making a free kick.

Agree here.

I have FIFA with 6 minutes each half, the maximum is maybe 4 fouls?

I don't know how it is this year with rival matches. But maybe there is actually more in these than in FIFA.

And who actually want 20 fouls in a game. Certainly not me. The important thing is that they are having an impact. That you or you're oponnent are making you're life difficult by making a free kick.
20 fouls are a bit to much.
I wouldn't mind that in a rival game,or playing a crappy team trying to mess with the game flow.
Yes rival games,tend to get more freekicks in PES.
So it shouldn't be to tough fixing the rest of them

how can you like pes then . Liverpool v Utd had 20 fouls..7 to 13 ..nothing like pes 18

mate i dont about you, but i cant play a game for 90 minutes, 20 minutes is the max for me per game, so if you average that out, you'd want to get around 2 fouls per 10 minutes of gameplay, which is pretty much spot on but i know our problem is we dont get given fouls when we do get fouled by the AI but in terms of fouls overall i get fouled around 2-3 times on average in a 20 minute match, if you got fouled 20 times in a short match that would be too much stop start and very boring as well.

Guys, it's very simple to me. It doesn't always have to be 20 fouls, 5 fouls, 7 fouls or zero fouls. Other than having it depending on the kind of match (as rockstrongo said, in a derby I expect to see a lot of hard tackles, and that was something Pes 2017 did decently enough), and playstyle of the teams, just have different refs with different judgement, so in one game you'll have plenty of fouls, in others way less.

Referee's strictness was something existing even in older soccer games if I'm not wrong, can't be that hard to reproduce today, if they are interested in doing it at all of course.

Guys, it's very simple to me. It doesn't always have to be 20 fouls, 5 fouls, 7 fouls or zero fouls. Other than having it depending on the kind of match (as rockstrongo said, in a derby I expect to see a lot of hard tackles, and that was something Pes 2017 did decently enough), and playstyle of the teams, just have different refs with different judgement, so in one game you'll have plenty of fouls, in others way less.

Referee's strictness was something existing even in older soccer games if I'm not wrong, can't be that hard to reproduce today, if they are interested in doing it at all of course.
Yes,referee strictness should be an option,or different characters among the refs.
The refs in Pes are very non existing as persons or characters,not even named or presented if I remember right

QQ club, didn't expect you to agree with me.

It is a forum, I just write my opinion based on my 193 hours game-time with Pes 2018.

Many of you seem to think everyone's experience will be the same when that is not the case. ie. user affects gameplay. Not everyone defends the same level, or attacks at the same level or way etc etc. Not every user 'looks' for fouls/pens. etc etc.

Anyway, time to load Pes 2018.

Enjoy !

This is just sad...

Unfortunately there are enough people like this for Konami to ignore the criticisms. Certain people on Twitter think that the people with issues are just a few bad apples on forums

What? Its sad that he is in the minority, its sad that he has to be described as "people like this",it does not mean he has to be castigated for liking it.
We have a perfectly good feedback section,if people really cared they would use it, instead of 1 v 1 infighting going nowhere same as every year.Lets just make it personal chaps then argue & finger point for another 12 months till another 80% release.
If people wish to make it personal I applaud the guys response for being level headed.

Back
Top Bottom