PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

one thing I like about this online beta is manual keeper they allow to you use and it's fun. I love going on the keeper and making saves... it's a little thing but it feels awesome.. I'm going to play all day and night and try advanced shooting. I need to look up some tutorials on tactics and how to use them in game..

are you using the default camera curdstar
?

Last edited:
It sounds like what you want is layers of mechanics and inputs to defending so as it feels more skilful, more demanding, which goes completely against the relative simplicity to defending in the real sport in 1 v. 1 situations. Defending, simply tracking a ball carrier in real life is a ridiculously easy thing to do. Making a tackle is an easy process, as in the movement itself. It is all about timing and reaction.

Anyway, I feel like I have more or less complete control and a wealth of options/approaches available to me when defending, more than I have felt in any other football game in history, to be completely blunt about it. The issues, the more nuanced and thought through observations and criticisms like some player movements and speed when tracking and alike I get, but I'm not having this defending is automated nonsense, or that it lacks control. I hate to say it but it sounds like you simply aren't doing it right, or you aren't utilising all that is available.

The defending in this game is fun when you don't go making it all about focusing on the ball carrier exclusively. I've had matches where momentum has swung in my opponents favour and found myself just trying to slow them down, making them pass more than they really want to be in order to break me down, or having to start playing more speculative passes or crosses, and it works. I actually love shifting players positions about, tucking in a full-back on the opposite side of play, dragging Casemiro or A.N. Other back to double mark a recipient in the box; crowding the opponent out and making them do more; trying to take them out of their comfort zone when in possession without really tackling, even with the secondary pressure. Most of all, I love when I know my opponent is feeling the heat and starts to try 1-2's, perhaps blissfully unaware that he is committing numbers forward and opening up the field behind him for me to exploit if their move does break down.

Last edited:
one thing I like about this online beta is manual keeper they allow to you use and it's fun. I love going on the keeper and making saves... it's a little thing but it feels awesome.. I'm going to play all day and night and try advanced shooting. I need to look up some tutorials on tactics and how to use them in game..

are you using the default camera curdstar
?

Dynamic Wide, mate, yes. I tried lowering it but not sure if it works or not in this beta.

Regards tutorials. Use this one by @maremas in order to get an idea of the basics then work from there. It is a wee bit different this year in how the target circle moves around the goal, and I think it might be that Advanced Shooting offers even more possibilities than last year, but I'll need a more suitable practice environment than the beta can offer to try work out if that may be so.

The other side of the coin is that attacking is nearly confined to dribbling or crossing. . .not much support from other forwards or midfielders making runs .. . .I usually have two options facing the defence. . dribble past the 3 of them which I'm not capable of doing or pass it wide to a winger to cross

The game gives the option to make someone run, don't know if its still the same but in PES2017 L1+ RStick, gives orders to the player that you're going to give the pass, letting you break the lines.
Also in my case I use a lot 4-3-1-2 with 3 CMF because I can use L1+X to make any of them run into attack, that helps a lot when you can't find spaces.
I say this from my PES2017 experience, i haven't played 2018 yet.

I have yet to notice scripting against me. It usually favors me. Right now after playing 15 matches and winning 12 of those matches and drawing 3, I have finally found an exploit to win almost all the matches. The cut backs and the zig zag dribbling is a bit too overpowered especially when it's a laggy match and as soon as I get into the box, I hit the shoot button with the likes of Neymar or Greizemann and it pretty much goes in 100% of the time. As far as defending, usually if any player gets on my defensive third, I hoof/clear the ball or just slide tackle the player. I hope the CPU AI will give a bit of challenge especially from higher rated teams.

Yeah, noticed that too, the zig-zag dribbling is kinda too productive.

It might be due to the fact that aggresive pressing doesn't work as in previous games and/or i often see so much space between defenders that favors this kind of dribbling.

Maybe i haven't found the correct tactics yet even tho i've tried them all, it seems this game really favors attacking by artificially creating gaps in defence by AI taking retarded decisions.

For example, i take Neymar from mid and dribble past everyone up to the keeper. Ofc this doesnt happen every match but still i see it often.

I personally do not find it over powered, it is certainly easier than recent PES games because of exactly this point here made by Johnnyusa

It might be due to the fact that aggresive pressing doesn't work as in previous games and/or i often see so much space between defenders that favors this kind of dribbling.

You can no longer defend and and just sit back and hold x being lazy like previous PES games and I really like this, I like the feeling of always having to concentrate hard on defending and being kept on my toes at all times and being very careful/articulate about my movement and reading the play.

The reason why yous are saying it is overpowered is because 90%+ of the players playing the beta are not good at the game or are maybe even playing there first ever match on it, throw in this whole new defense system that actually requires you to not be lazy and yes sure I can see why you would think it is OP. I hate to brag but I am a very experienced/good player and win basically every match , but there is that odd time I come across someone who is also very good and knows how to work the defence system, good look running the pitch on players like them or me with Neymar from midfied and beating all my players and scoring, cause it aint happening lol. Wait until the full version is released and you can move up divisions and play only good players and people on your level and you won't be complaining anymore.

Last edited:
What freedom on FIFA? You can easily skill through the defense and pace spammers are the worst. It's basically end to end. Not a good comparison at all.

Well if you can't time your tackles right, that's what happens. You control when to push/shove attackers and when to make tackles. PES is already automated and does everything for you when it comes to tackling.

Just very busy buddy, started my own company beaumontbespoke.co.uk and it's taking 13-15 hours out of my day, everyday. On the plus side, the hard work is paying off, with the highest ratings on Yell.com in the country. So all good. How's you ?
All good mate. A bit traumatic this last month (dealing with someone's death) but getting better. Good to know all is good with you.

I see you're impressed with pes 2018. Last I remember you bailed out with 2014's input lag. You might've posted a little since but I can't remember much tbh.

Well if you can't time your tackles right, that's what happens. You control when to push/shove attackers and when to make tackles. PES is already automated and does everything for you when it comes to tackling.

Slide tackling on FIFA is automated and slow. If that's what you call timing then that's for the wrong reasons. Skills and pace player are op and you know it. So defense is worthless either ways. You're telling me you can't decide when to tackle on PES? Bs.

is it me or is lacazette brilliant in this game, he s so good in all aspects
He is very well rounded and pacey, scores most of my goals, Griezmann is a beast also and my facourite, absolutely love his dribbling and finishing, you can really feel the player individuality.

tumblr_oqz3utEiRD1tf8a5ao1_500.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Slide tackling on FIFA is automated and slow. If that's what you call timing then that's for the wrong reasons. Skills and pace player are op and you know it. So defense is worthless either ways. You're telling me you can't decide when to tackle on PES? Bs.

Do you prefer pacey player having the same pace as slower player? If so, I don't think PES 2018 will be your game. However PES 2017 is more "balanced" in that aspect. I want to be punished if I don't time my tackles right especially if it's against a pacey player. However, I don't want to be punished by the "script/code" deciding it for me. I don't have much issue with PES 2018 sliding tackle however the normal tackles needs more work in terms of controlling and timing the tackles. So many times due to the bug in the coding, when I hold the tackle button or double tap, the defender faces the wrong direction and let's the attacker through. It can easily be rectified with more control over the tackling and less automation. That's what makes skills and pacey players op when you don't give the defenders more control over normal tackling. However knowing PES and it's fan base, PES will rather introduce "catch-up" bug and players like Bale will be useless again instead of giving more control to normal tackling/pressing/jockeying.

The game gives the option to make someone run, don't know if its still the same but in PES2017 L1+ RStick, gives orders to the player that you're going to give the pass, letting you break the lines.
Also in my case I use a lot 4-3-1-2 with 3 CMF because I can use L1+X to make any of them run into attack, that helps a lot when you can't find spaces.
I say this from my PES2017 experience, i haven't played 2018 yet.

I know that I can make a player run. . in PES 2017 players made runs automatically as well as instructing them to. ..I haven't seen it that much in the Beta.

@Deco How do you make them run? I've seen the option to turn it on but I have never used it.

Do you mean a single player? Point at him with the right stick while pressing L1 and he'll move. . . when I said it about pes 2017 I meant the ai will make your players get into good positions automatically.

I really like PA1, a bit surprised by that tbh. I feel that Kante for example is a player you should just play simple passes with, not trying through balls etc, a feeling I haven't had in a long time with PES.

Now this is 2 top teams so all players are good passers. Hopefully this will be even more apparent when playing lesser sides.

Really glad that Konami has made it possible to choose team classes before matches, no more Real/Barca all the time. :)

- Manual shooting can make you look silly but it's something to continue experimenting with.

- Griezemann is overpowered IMO.

- Automatic shielding is fantastic.

- Kante is replicated perfectly, he must be extremely annoying to play against when used to his strengths.

- Lloris is also replicated very well, especially his poor kicking.

- The game still does that thing in certain scenarios where you switch the cursor to a defender and he automatically steps forward leaving a convenient hole for the opposition to use.

In the future, I want players to be aware of their teammates strengths. For instance, Lemar has the ball in a wide right position, on his right foot. When I cut in and move the ball to his left, those in the box should know that he's capable of playing them in and move accordingly.

I know you can manually trigger them but I always forget. Sometimes the window to play the pass is very small, the opportunity disappears and I need to recycle possession.

Really loved the beta and glad that Konami have done it but this has been my experience for the last 2 days of playing. I think I've only had one in my last 12 or so games finish!

I wouldn't stay against someone using advanced shooting, it's basically aimbot mode. I hope they allow you to filter these things

Do you prefer pacey player having the same pace as slower player? If so, I don't think PES 2018 will be your game. However PES 2017 is more "balanced" in that aspect. I want to be punished if I don't time my tackles right especially if it's against a pacey player. However, I don't want to be punished by the "script/code" deciding it for me. I don't have much issue with PES 2018 sliding tackle however the normal tackles needs more work in terms of controlling and timing the tackles. So many times due to the bug in the coding, when I hold the tackle button or double tap, the defender faces the wrong direction and let's the attacker through. It can easily be rectified with more control over the tackling and less automation. That's what makes skills and pacey players op when you don't give the defenders more control over normal tackling. However knowing PES and it's fan base, PES will rather introduce "catch-up" bug and players like Bale will be useless again instead of giving more control to normal tackling/pressing/jockeying.

More control like what? There is no catch up bug in PES 2018. I'm sure as hell its not as easy to defend as it was on PES 2017, now it feels more about timing than anything else. Also I'm not one of those guys that just holds R1 + X, I always try to position the way I want and cut the ball. Some people wait for the ball to come to them. This is an online beta we are talking about, bad connections give us an indication of input delay and feeling cheated.

Can you post examples of the script/code allegedly deciding things for you?

I'm going to be completely honest and say I have no idea, at all, as to what you are talking about regards automation. It sounds like you play with all your focus on the ball carrier when defending and always control the closest man to the ball and look to make the perfect tackle as soon as possible. This game will punish you if you put all your eggs in one basket like that. It will certainly cause many a frustration.

Is the standing tackle perfect? No, but it isn't completely automated either, nor is outcome overly scripted or coded.

Defending is not automated in this game. It is no more automated than defending in a 1v1 situation in real life.

In my experience, this game actually demands that you look to defend against your opposition with your team, not just the dude you have under your control. It demands that you marshall your defence. It demands some conservatism. It demands that you concede some ground and sometimes requires you to defend "passively"

That is how defending works in the real sport, regardless of the level. The teams which defend best are the teams which defend as a unit, not those with individuals displaying laser precision in tackling in 1v1 situations. If you stuck Giorgio Chiellini in a situation where he is out wide and, I dunno, fucking Christie Elliott has him in isolation then if Chiellini just looks to pressure him recklessly, looking for a laser precision standing tackle then I guarantee you Partick Thistle's Christie Elliott would beat him more than you think he would. Yep, Christie Elliott.

I mention Chiellini and then I think of Juventus and the Italian national side and how what is now a broken up defensive trio were considered the absolute best defensive unit of recent times. I would tend to agree, but did you (or others) watch the matches in which commentators, analysts and fans alike were reaching that conclusion? It wasn't because they were all doing laser precision standing tackles in 1v1 situations, early and all over the pitch. Nah, a LOT of their defending, their world class defending, was done as a unit and also very deep or in last ditch tackle situations. It sometimes wasn't Chiellini who took the ball off the ball carrier, but his tracking work combined with the rest of the unit seeing an attack break down. This beta has allowed me to approach defending with a similar mindset that even the standing tackle not being perfect matters very very little.

Defending can be ugly in this game, but defending can be awfully ugly and last ditch in real life too. In real life, when it comes off at the highest level, it can even be called World Class.

While not perfect, or finished (which it isn't) I love the defending in this game.

Advanced shooting I've found is arguably harder than manual shooting in some instances. You can't just point at the goal and charge the shot right up as you can with manual, where even shooting right at the keeper can see the ball slip through his crisp packet wrists.

Both setups have their pluses and minuses, but, as an overall representation of football, advanced shooting is definitely more varied and realistic than manual shooting in the 2018 beta. You don't have the same problems as with 2014-17 where shots keep hitting the post or bar, and you certainly don't see shots fly into the corner all the time. I hit a ridiculous number of shots wide or over because I still tend to aim for the very corners rather than feathering the stick more.

You don't see a single (a) open-minded person who (b) has actually played with advanced shooting in PES 2018 complain that it's OP or that it's 'baby mode'. It's just people who think that full manual is for 'grown-ups', who think everything should be manual just because it makes them part of a more hardcore elite. Football has nothing to do with it, because manual shooting makes no sense as a footballing concept.

Ha
If adv. shooting is an "aimbot mode", so why most online players play with basic shooting?
Because most people always abusing all the OP moves in online games, and play the way which is the easiest one.

Everything that you have explained happens to me when scripting is against me and I have seen it work for me when scripting was in my favour. . .I knew that I hadn't suddenly improved and had it all sussed . ..when it's against you it's a nightmare, I've clearly won tackles and yet my opponent comes away with the ball and every loose ball goes to the opposition like a magnet . .. but the weak passing and the ball rolling into touch while your player lets it go by him really pisses me off. I know when I'm beaten by a better player but I also know when the play is scripted.

Super cancel may help, collecting those balls a tad out of reach?

Back
Top Bottom