PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

I wouldn't stay against someone using advanced shooting, it's basically aimbot mode. I hope they allow you to filter these things

that's stupid considering I think Advanced is clearly harder for me than regular basic shooting. I score easier on Basic.. but that's probably because I'm not use to Advanced yet. My experience so far with Advanced is that hitting the top corner of the net is harder than basic. However, advanced is cool because I can hit lower shots really well... either way it's stupid to leave a match because someone is using one or the other.. I see no real big advantage of using basic or advanced over each other. Right now I would score more goals if I was using Basic over Advanced. To hit top corner on Advanced is harder than basic for me for sure

most of my shots that I aim for top corner always go over in Advanced shooting so far.. .. I can not keep it under the bar so my guess is I'm either holding the aim to long or to far?

Last edited:
Watch my defender who has this pass covered or so I thought . .he ignores the ball and allows the forward to shoot and score.

I've had some weirdness today and I'm pretty sure it's an issue with lag and only affecting one user.

I had an infuriating game where I couldn't do anything because my button presses were constantly delayed. Couldn't play one touch passes, couldn't move into space as I received the ball, change player terrible and defending impossible.

As I started writing this I just had another game like it. Absolutely infuriating but definitely lag related.

How do you guys deal with so many wrong passes on PA1? I mean, even simple 5m pass goes to the opponent instead of your player.

I've had some weirdness today and I'm pretty sure it's an issue with lag and only affecting one user.

I had an infuriating game where I couldn't do anything because my button presses were constantly delayed. Couldn't play one touch passes, couldn't move into space as I received the ball, change player terrible and defending impossible.

As I started writing this I just had another game like it. Absolutely infuriating but definitely lag related.

The defender had already reacted correctly but at the last second it looked like he was instructed to let it go to the forward.

How do you guys deal with so many wrong passes on PA1? I mean, even simple 5m pass goes to the opponent instead of your player.
Could you upload a vid of the sort of passes you mean? I play manual passes and routinely get high pass completion, 80-85% (probably - I hate that the %age has gone).

I play full manual again, last time was pes13.
Quick question, my opponent had time to time a green passing bar insteed of a yellow one. What does the green bar mean?

Same here eveything went wrong it felt like the other guys were quicker to everything .. .every match.

My point is that I'm managing on PA0 just fine, so I don't get why PA1 would be having problems unless the passes in question are difficult / failing for particular reasons. We can't judge that just on 'I'm missing 5 yard passes' so being able to see them would be useful.

i m not losing not even 1 game, either i m too good in this game or no one knows how to play the game XD

No one knows how to defend in this game or it's too laggy to register tackles. I had a game where I was one on one with a defender and he just tackled the air at the wrong direction and I went through and scored a goal. That's the problem with the automated direction/tackling. For some reason, it's a bit broken in PES 2018. Hopefully it will be polished and fixed for the next demo. But yeah, I have yet to lose and not because I play good football, but because of the exploitative way I play in. Which is what everyone in online are going to play in when the game comes out and they learn about it and if it's not fixed.

No one knows how to defend in this game or it's too laggy to register tackles. I had a game where I was one on one with a defender and he just tackled the air at the wrong direction and I went through and scored a goal. That's the problem with the automated direction/tackling. For some reason, it's a bit broken in PES 2018. Hopefully it will be polished and fixed for the next demo. But yeah, I have yet to lose and not because I play good football, but because of the exploitative way I play in. Which is what everyone in online are going to play in when the game comes out and they learn about it and if it's not fixed.

You've nailed it sir! I appreciate your honesty.

I play full manual again, last time was pes13.
Quick question, my opponent had time to time a green passing bar insteed of a yellow one. What does the green bar mean?
green - assisted action
yellow - manual
but in this beta first pass from the center always shown as green even if it manual

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed this beta. I've enjoyed the passing, enjoyed the dribbling, and especially enjoyed the defending as I have options in how I choose to do it. Some of the options aren't particularly new, just well implemented. I can play a hugely (for the most part) satisfying defensive game that doesn't exclusively rely on me simply following the ball carrier trying to time a standing tackle and getting upset because it doesn't work all the time, then telling everyone else they don't know how to defend.

My last match there was me using manual passing and knowing it was going to be a struggle, set up my team defended and it worked. It simply worked and when it wasn't, it felt way more often than not because of what I was doing or did, not some code turning against me. The match finished 1-1 with both goals coming in the first half. My opponent had 64% of the possession and I loved every minute of it, because my gameplan to be defensive minded to nullify France largely worked. I of course would have rather dominated possession and chances, but I think it speaks volumes for this game that a match in which I barely got a kick was so enjoyable. I wouldn't have found it enjoyable if all I was doing to tracking the ball carrier and trying to time a tackle the whole match. I enjoyed it because I had my team set-up but that I was also allowed to organise on-the-fly with simple player switching and movement. I was sheparding the man on the ball into areas where it was harmless, maybe having him turn back and slow down more than he wanted to, funnel them into areas that while there was what looked like space I was about to tighten it all up.

The goal I scored was actually one of the most satisfying I have scored in this beta and it was the direct result of sloppiness by my opponent. It was actually a rocket shot (THE HORROR!) and there was no lovely passing move or dribbling that set-up...

I enjoyed that goal more than I should have, not because of the execution (which was pretty sweet in my opinion) but because it was in a match in which I was (still am) experimenting with manual passing, was defending well but had conceded only moments before, and I just wanted back into the match. It was all just the football in that moment and around it, and it felt good.

Even though this (winning, as it turned out) goal came from a mistake you better believe I loved the passage of play using manual passing that took the game up to my opponents goal. That cheeky wee dink from throw in set it all up...

Watch my defender who has this pass covered or so I thought . .he ignores the ball and allows the forward to shoot and score.

I wonder if you need a side step to intercept it. I've had that happen before, just thought I messed up the interception maybe, not sure.

I think tackle direction was even more auto last year? If u go into free training in 17, u will realize tackles are always auto pointed towards the ball. It doesn't matter where u point your stick at, the direction of tackle is always auto corrected. Or did they fix this at some point?

Do you prefer pacey player having the same pace as slower player? If so, I don't think PES 2018 will be your game. However PES 2017 is more "balanced" in that aspect. I want to be punished if I don't time my tackles right especially if it's against a pacey player. However, I don't want to be punished by the "script/code" deciding it for me. I don't have much issue with PES 2018 sliding tackle however the normal tackles needs more work in terms of controlling and timing the tackles. So many times due to the bug in the coding, when I hold the tackle button or double tap, the defender faces the wrong direction and let's the attacker through. It can easily be rectified with more control over the tackling and less automation. That's what makes skills and pacey players op when you don't give the defenders more control over normal tackling. However knowing PES and it's fan base, PES will rather introduce "catch-up" bug and players like Bale will be useless again instead of giving more control to normal tackling/pressing/jockeying.

I think catch-up was worse last year?

Active defending is possible, but [] is a lot easier.

By the way, most guys who I've played 10v10 with has to relearn defending all over again, coz there is no such thing as [] COM defending in team play, when everyone is human on the field. Someone's gotta actually walk over to the ball carrier and win the ball back 1v1 always. Anyone who plays in that mode (10v10, not 3v3, where there are still COM players on the field) will understand what you're talking about.

But, anyway, active 1v1 defending is possible. It's just requires a lot more minor adjustments when approaching the guy. You have to carefully control your stride size etc and track the guy with manual positioning, then try to intercept the ball...sometimes it'll be mid path (of pass), sometimes it'll be a duel.

Not using X or [], but using a lot of super cancel and R2 to fine tune the positioning of my defender.

And here's a counter buildup from active 1v1 ball winning.

I wonder if you need a side step to intercept it. I've had that happen before, just thought I messed up the interception maybe, not sure.

I think tackle direction was even more auto last year? If u go into free training in 17, u will realize tackles are always auto pointed towards the ball. It doesn't matter where u point your stick at, the direction of tackle is always auto corrected. Or did they fix this at some point?

By the way, most guys who I've played 10v10 with has to relearn defending all over again, coz there is no such thing as [] COM defending in team play, when everyone is human on the field. Someone's gotta actually walk over to the ball carrier and win the ball back 1v1 always. Anyone who plays in that mode (10v10, not 3v3, where there are still COM players on the field) will understand what you're talking about.

But, anyway, active 1v1 defending is possible. It's just requires a lot more minor adjustments when approaching the guy. You have to carefully control your stride size etc and track the guy with manual positioning, then try to intercept the ball...sometimes it'll be mid path (of pass), sometimes it'll be a duel.

Not using X or [], but using a lot of super cancel and R2 to fine tune the positioning of my defender.

Excellent defending, and good to know there is another tool in the box when it comes to defending effectively too.

I didn't know that was possible. Thanks! That fixes most of the issues I have with defending. Now Adam said on Twitter that the player switching in defense will be sorted as well as the facing/direction bug when tackling. So it looks good. Hopefully catch-up bug doesn't make a return though because I want defending to be rewarding rather than on the plate.

Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed this beta. I've enjoyed the passing, enjoyed the dribbling, and especially enjoyed the defending as I have options in how I choose to do it. Some of the options aren't particularly new, just well implemented. I can play a hugely (for the most part) satisfying defensive game that doesn't exclusively rely on me simply following the ball carrier trying to time a standing tackle and getting upset because it doesn't work all the time, then telling everyone else they don't know how to defend.

My last match there was me using manual passing and knowing it was going to be a struggle, set up my team defended and it worked. It simply worked and when it wasn't, it felt way more often than not because of what I was doing or did, not some code turning against me. The match finished 1-1 with both goals coming in the first half. My opponent had 64% of the possession and I loved every minute of it, because my gameplan to be defensive minded to nullify France largely worked. I of course would have rather dominated possession and chances, but I think it speaks volumes for this game that a match in which I barely got a kick was so enjoyable. I wouldn't have found it enjoyable if all I was doing to tracking the ball carrier and trying to time a tackle the whole match. I enjoyed it because I had my team set-up but that I was also allowed to organise on-the-fly with simple player switching and movement. I was sheparding the man on the ball into areas where it was harmless, maybe having him turn back and slow down more than he wanted to, funnel them into areas that while there was what looked like space I was about to tighten it all up.

The goal I scored was actually one of the most satisfying I have scored in this beta and it was the direct result of sloppiness by my opponent. It was actually a rocket shot (THE HORROR!) and there was no lovely passing move or dribbling that set-up...

I enjoyed that goal more than I should have, not because of the execution (which was pretty sweet in my opinion) but because it was in a match in which I was (still am) experimenting with manual passing, was defending well but had conceded only moments before, and I just wanted back into the match. It was all just the football in that moment and around it, and it felt good.
lovely goal, and i love the replay in this game

Back
Top Bottom