PES 2015 Discussion Thread (PS4/XB1)

Champion and Beglin are not to blame, they need good scripts.
For me the NBA2K games are the ones with the best commentary, but even they get repetitive after a while.

Their deliver is simply dreadful though.

Half the time they just shout and it's completely unfitting to the spectacle at hand. I have no idea if they could do a good job but it'd help if they were more methodical, slow, and elaborative.

Right now I'd say that Fifa and PES have completely the reversed-style of commentary that they need. PES, as a more methodical game, should have commentary that isn't so abrupt whereas Fifa, which is a more frenetic game, should have commentary that isn't interrupted constantly.

But yeah, I completely blame Konami on this one if I'm being honest. It's one of the things about the game that does make me genuinely question whether the kind of game they've ended up with is in fact the kind of game they want to make. Or maybe it's simply a case of the European branch being out of sync. Who knows.

I think they should rethink their commentary, maybe extract real world commentary lines (follow the chosen commentator for a few months).

People make better commentary by taking lines from youtube games (with some dodgy audio quality here and there), go figure what could be done if implemented properly.

But i'll take proper stadium atmosphere and chants over commentary any idea.

just get rid of John Champion, 7 yrs was enough of him
1 year was enough of him. Can't stand him. A commentator is supposed to be unbiased. For the amount of experience he has, he should be a lot better at commentating and not just for a game. I turn the commentary off too. If Tyler isn't available, I'd want Barry Davies out of retirement.

Finally got round to editing the prem and championship teams so started a Master League with QPR. No idea why I chose them but I did.

Got rid of SWP, Hill, Ferdinand, Dunne, Rob Green, Zamora, Kranjaer & Zarate

brought in 4 new defenders, Ocha (GK) from Malaga, Icardi, Sloth, Ibe (on loan).

Lost first game 2-3 to Burnley but no new players played in that game.

Beglin said he'll help in rewriting his lines to suit his style, he seems happy to speak about this which seems good and promising he's open to suggestions.

The issue has never ever been champion and Beglin and their voices at all, they are good commentators, the issue has always been like northzzz said the terrible scripts he's given!

EA have got commentary spot on in FIFA this year I think (obviously there's still issues, i.e. mentioning "the World Cup of 2014" at every fucking opportunity), but it's a thankless task I think. If you get commentary right, nobody says anything about it because you don't "notice" it (it's essentially background noise), but if you balls it up, you get a lot of angry gamers.

I found it amusing, though, playing NBA Live 15 over the weekend (which is free with EA Access). You imagine that if a company nails commentary in one game, it'll be nailed across the board because they'll apply the same principles and recording methods in all their titles.

It's almost (but not quite) PES-like at times, especially during half time. The guy says player names like he's depressed, and gives his analysis like he's hyper, causing bipolar commentary. "Baldwin. :CRY:[pause] HAD A GREAT GAME! :D"

They could get two strangers to do the commentary and I wouldn't care, to be honest, if it was at the level FIFA's is now. Get all the team names recorded in the same tone, start off all your analysis in the same tone, then it's all seamless.

Beglin will still be a commentator in Pes 2016 :YAWN:

he wrote this on his twitter account

At least that means there will be fresh commentary and not the same old lines that we've had for like the last 2 years, commentary in other languages is much better, perhaps John Champion & Jim Beglin weren't free to record fresh material until now? Also, seeing as there is this PES Studio now in London, I'm hoping there will be a significant improvement in the commentary, both delivery & script, we shall see eh :)

Last edited:
Are you sure commentary is better in other languages ?
In French it is as badas in English.
I don't understand Portugese or Italian enough to have an opinion about that.

just get rid of John Champion, 7 yrs was enough of him and it was sadly a memorable 7 yrs

Exactly. Beglin too. While I realize the same shit script for the last 7 years is partly to blame, Champion and Beglin are just incredibly boring to listen too. For me they represent the worst of times for the PES franchise. It's time for a new script and new commentators. I'm tired of playing games in PES with no sound because the commentary, crowd and overall atmosphere are so poor.

Remember watching a video clip of the 2 german commentators recording new lines etc and it sounded really good, but someone will clear that up no doubt :)

Exactly. Beglin too. While I realize the same shit script for the last 7 years is partly to blame, Champion and Beglin are just incredibly boring to listen too. For me they represent the worst of times for the PES franchise. It's time for a new script and new commentators. I'm tired of playing games in PES with no sound because the commentary, crowd and overall atmosphere are so poor.

This.They have milked it for so long I think their profligacy is going to rebound on them!

They need to apply the commentary correctly as well. No good them saying a player hasnt had a sniff all day and he has a hat trick or that the crowd are bored when its 3-3.

They need to apply the commentary correctly as well. No good them saying a player hasnt had a sniff all day and he has a hat trick or that the crowd are bored when its 3-3.
That's the biggest problem for me, though admittedly I find it hilarious when Champion asks a question and there's a stony silence afterwards because there's been a hiccup somewhere.

"How do you see this one going, Jim?"
[Jim holds up a sign saying "I know you took my muffin and I'm not saying another word until you give it back"]

The Portuguese commentary in both PES and FIFA is horrendous ('Portugal' Portugesee, the Brazilian is ok), same with Spanish in PES, not Mexican or Argentinian (latin America) Spanish but the 'Spain' Spanish is just as horrid and robotic as the the English.

The biggest and most important change which i'm sure is being implemented is getting someone who is a Native English speaker to sound engineer the whole thing.!

I wish they get the stadium atmosphere a litle bit better, then i wouldn't care about commentary.

I also play BAL regularly and i watch my kids playing the same mode on FIFA, must say the camera on FIFA is much, much better.

now this cant be me. Surely.

Started a ML with Valencia and was enjoying it. The games were close and I had played about 12 won 5 Lost 5 and drawn 2. The games were balanced and although I lost 3-5 to Barca it was closer than the scoreline suggested.

So, I started another with QPR after hours editing the Prem and the games are horrible. Too fast. Too many goals. I lost 3-2 to Burnley, 3-2 to palace, Draw 2-2 with Hull. I then go to Anfield and win 7-3 in a truly horrible game that I got no joy out of.

PES15 is one weird game.

now this cant be me. Surely.

Started a ML with Valencia and was enjoying it. The games were close and I had played about 12 won 5 Lost 5 and drawn 2. The games were balanced and although I lost 3-5 to Barca it was closer than the scoreline suggested.

So, I started another with QPR after hours editing the Prem and the games are horrible. Too fast. Too many goals. I lost 3-2 to Burnley, 3-2 to palace, Draw 2-2 with Hull. I then go to Anfield and win 7-3 in a truly horrible game that I got no joy out of.

PES15 is one weird game.

you might wanna check if you were on/off line, I found playing a master league while logged in made the game faster and more goals oriented. MIght be all bs though but i had noticed it in several occasiones.

German commentary of PES is o...k. Since years the same old duo but it´s not that annoying and as bad as the german FIFA commentators.
These are truly horrible!

While the english ones of FIFA are quite okay again.

The trouble with PES is that playing with the not so good teams is a real chore. Obviously they shouldnt be as good as the good teams but they are too dumbed down.

You know what could be introduced this time of year for the game? When you start a Master League or CM on Fifa - it should start with todays date. For example if I started one today then it should start on 10/04/15 with your club in the same position as they are now. No transfer window now as its closed.
So if you chose Leicester you would be bottom with 5 games to go? can you save them? If you do then you get another 12 month contract.

Just an idea.

We've talked about CPU momentum here, but didn't think it could be this bad. :D This happened today to me on PS4; it's the only time I have seen this in hundreds of matches.

YouTube - PES 2015 bug (PS4): extreme momentum

I've had something similar by the CPU. Suddenly my defender was dribbled and i couldb't work out how the CPU player did it...
He scored so i could watch the replay and i still couldn't work out how he passed my defender...

I'vhad this once...to be honest i really don't care. There are some matches you got the feeling that everything goes against you and i would prefer it otherwise, but isn't it like that sometimes IRL?

To answer my own question, it is, but not this way...

I don't think we're at a point, even with the current generation of consoles, where the AI can beat you without resorting to "cheating" in this way when it realises X team/player should beat Y team/player (with FIFA it's the CPU on Legendary passing the ball away whenever you get within one millimetre of the ball, and dribbling past your defenders who reach out and tackle empty space).

I was convinced with this generation we'd get games that felt more natural when playing the AI, but no, the harder (and what I'd consider the more realistic) difficulties still show telepathic abilities and alien reaction times. It's a shame too because with PES fans (in Konami's eyes) not wanting an overhaul in gameplay, and FIFA fans being 11 years old on average (and who enjoy scoring 10 goals a game in Ultimate Team), I don't see this being a priority for the developers any time soon.

I don't think we're at a point, even with the current generation of consoles, where the AI can beat you without resorting to "cheating" in this way when it realises X team/player should beat Y team/player (with FIFA it's the CPU on Legendary passing the ball away whenever you get within one millimetre of the ball, and dribbling past your defenders who reach out and tackle empty space).

I was convinced with this generation we'd get games that felt more natural when playing the AI, but no, the harder (and what I'd consider the more realistic) difficulties still show telepathic abilities and alien reaction times. It's a shame too because with PES fans (in Konami's eyes) not wanting an overhaul in gameplay, and FIFA fans being 11 years old on average (and who enjoy scoring 10 goals a game in Ultimate Team), I don't see this being a priority for the developers any time soon.

Why should we want an overhaul? Pes 2015 is good as a base,it's a new base. They should just improve on it. They better not completely overhaul and change its gameplay just for the sake of it.

Why should we want an overhaul? Pes 2015 is good as a base,it's a new base. They should just improve on it. They better not completely overhaul and change its gameplay just for the sake of it.

I would say the same, but i hesitate because i don't have a clue how these games work and how they are made. I think Chris is rather knowledgeable, so he may well have a point.

Here is what i think (for what it's worth, not much i guess).

PES2015 for me is a solid foundation to improve PES.
I want a game that is less scripted. Perhaps the difference between good teams and bad teams should be more pronounced in terms of stats.

Although i must say that i really like how some teams play. I'm currently doing a ML with Crystal Palace. I 've won against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool. Lost to Mancherster City, but that was a close one.

And then there is Man Utd. I've played them 3 times (2 in the EPL and once in the Cup) andi just can't win from that team. What is good is that i lost this 3 matches in a similar way. Basically Man Utd beat me because Fellaini and Rooney are unpalayable and Van Persie is much better than the current real life Van Persie.

In the last match. United started without Fellaini and i was 2-0 until he came on the pitch. I lost 3-2 and that seemed very logical after the two previous matches. That is pretty impressive (perhapsa coïncidence).

What should also be improved?

First of all and formost the collision system. This is bad and always advantages the CPU team.

More CPU fouls.

Better refs.

My personal feeling, and I'm no expert (despite your vote of confidence Gerd, thanks :D), is that the current engine has a lot of the old code (or at least old ways of doing things) that works great for a core gameplay experience, but restricts development of e.g. the physical side of the game, the collision system, the way the AI functions on the higher difficulty levels... I mean, even graphically the engine is way behind what I expect from a big-name developer (which obviously isn't as important, but the whole Fox engine thing is tied into last-gen technology and is already out-of-date, in my admittedly limited technical opinion).

With a team that is seemingly so committed to gameplay, I just like to imagine what they could do if they started from scratch with an engine built for current technology, gameplay-focussed and as realistic as they could make it.

But I'd imagine Konami sees the sales paling in comparison to FIFA each year and passes down their instructions to the developer to "not piss off the core demographic, which is the only group of people left still buying our game". (Which is, I do happen to know, the kind of conversations big-name outfits have with producers - or at least, some of them do.)

Sad as it is, I'm still holding on for the day when I play a football game, offline or online, and feel like I've played a thoroughly realistic game and lost because I was outplayed in a realistic manner, rather than feeling cheated, through-ball spammed or otherwise unfairly/unrealistically beaten.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom