PES 2011 Master League Online beta Feedback thread

Hopefully we can suggest that konami bump the AI difficulty up then for online play. Having it set to dumbass difficulty really hurts.

Amen. Also dont forget we are using rubbish defenders, their anticipation and reading of the game is poor. I'll be my house that a top defender will show alot more resolve and reaction. I've played against people who have bought top class DMF's, needless to say, them owned me in that part of the field. I'm finding hard, but there is so much to relearn for me, bad habits die hard.

Yup, just played some more and I totally agree with a couple of points - players NEVER, I repeat, NEVER, make runs down the wings. It's all through the centre.

Not true at all. My support strikers and full backs make runs, depends on the positioning, try tweaking the team style (some 'wide'/'narrow'/'medium' options are there) and occasionally using the 'swap wings' strategy. But even without doing that they make runs. I play with the default 4-3-3/4-2-1-3.

I feel like I can't fully judge the game yet due to lag, but it is quite good.

yea whats going on?

Isn't the fact it's a beta the issue? Remember this is NOT about finding bugs in game. It's about reporting just on the functions available in master league online. A lot of these gameplay bugs have been sorted!

Konami aren't fucked about the probelms with ingame bugs in this beta, it's about if there a issue with signing players or exploits in MLO etc.. If there a lot of lag, thats the big issue! Not the unfinished goalkeeping code!

There seems to be loads of issues but the game is not finished so I'm not too bothered about them :)

Nothing going on I don't think. All of these gameplay problems were known ages ago and we have been told they're either fixed or are being looked into.

Yesterday I think everyone was more blown away with how great the changes are and the problems weren't worth bringing up as we know they're fixed.

Now today I think everyone is getting that feeling of 'I want to keep playing and playing and playing...' but the more you play the more those problems annoy you. It's like you know they're gone in future versions so you have that feeling of 'damn.. I wish I could be playing that version instead... it would be so much more damn freaking awesome. It's more frustration that we're playing old code, than the game is broken and we've all just found out how terrible it will be.

When the problems don't show their ugly faces the game just flows beautifully and the amazing feeling of accomplishment when you string together a load of passes, perfect lobbed cross and a sublime finish capped off with all of the new animations. It's like no other football game.

Last edited:
It's only partly AI that is responsible for the issues. It's also down to the game overriding what you press. On more than one occasion I was pressing one direction, and then when the ball was passed by the opponent my player got sucked towards the ball, moving in a completely different direction for a short period of time before letting me have control again (at which point now well out of position). All the while I've been holding the same direction. That's got nothing to do with AI difficulty or player attributes and it's not something they're likely to fix for the full game.

I know most of us are busy playing the beta and looking for the positives and negatives in gameplay, but lets not forget that this is:

a) A Beta version

b) All played online

Therefore, bugs and lag may interfere with the gameplay experience. This is not an offline beta where we are able to judge the gameplay and feedback on it. This is a ML Online beta code and has been given to us for feedback on online lag issues and the ML online system.

There are obviously lots of animations that still needed to be sorted at the stage the code is at, which is pretty old now and issues have been touched on already, plus the GK and ref issues.

I've seen so many good and bad things, but whats the point when I give them gameplay feedback which they won't take into consideration now because its based on a code that is months old? I would've loved if they had given us an offline beta months back to properly feedback on gameplay and be of help and not just handed to journos etc. We've also been told that many of these issues have been worked on and the latest code is much better now, which I hope is true.

I know we can't help but comment on what we see because that is what we have in our hands atm, and most of the impressions have been about gameplay, but I would love it if we pressed more on the online side of it and the MLO format/system so we can give Konami feedback on what to improve on, like lag issues, private leagues, transfer system, etc. because this is what this is all about.

Last edited:
It's only partly AI that is responsible for the issues. It's also down to the game overriding what you press. On more than one occasion I was pressing one direction, and then when the ball was passed by the opponent my player got sucked towards the ball, moving in a completely different direction for a short period of time before letting me have control again (at which point now well out of position). All the while I've been holding the same direction. That's got nothing to do with AI difficulty or player attributes and it's not something they're likely to fix for the full game.

Try buying some decent defenders, and wait till you try it on Top Player. Top Player Ai will sort it all out, dont worry about that. The very same thing happens on PES 2010 on Regular Ai, in fact, it's far worse in so many areas. I dont see anything to be concerned about, I've barely noticed any issues in that regard in over 20 games. Either way, even this version at 60% is streets ahead of anything else out there, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until now, some games have an unbearable lag. it is impossible to judge the game under these conditions. I am located in South America, but I remember PES5... damn, that was a lot of fun online...

Until now, some games have an unbearable lag. it is impossible to judge the game under these conditions. I am located in South America, but I remember PES5... damn, that was a lot of fun online...

Make sure you stress on this in your feedback to Konami mate. Thank you.

Sure Lami, what I dont understand is why we can play FIFA almost lagless here in Peru and PES is almost lagfest LOL

Sure Lami, what I dont understand is why we can play FIFA almost lagless here in Peru and PES is almost lagfest LOL

Don't know mate really. For me though this has been better than 2010 online, still not perfect. Not sure where the problem lies exactly. Could be their code, servers, etc. All we can do atm is provide feedback on this online beta, hopefully it gets better and better.

Send to KONAMI the negatives that you saw in gameplay..Maybe is the last chance to improve some bugs and negatives things of the game..

Dunno about that, but I had a completely lagless match on the beta against a Brazilian. I was predicting lag, and was really surprised.

Had worse matches with people in the neighbor country (Spain) lol.

:OOOH:

---------

Really loving the managerial side of the Master League I must say, facilitated mainly by the return of the hexagon/pentagon (can't remember whether it's five or six sides :DOH:) and the ability to sort and filter the players more effectively. The displays are also a nice addition, seeing how valuations fluctuate and seeing how some players are becoming popular and gaining quite a following - this is a nice addition as it helps me find cheaper players I wouldn't otherwise have known about from other continents.

My only gripe so far is that the name search could be improved upon, I typed in Milner and it didn't find anything where as J. Milner did. I think the keyword search should be a tad better.

I had my first really laggy match today (SPAIN). Again, it was a red connection but the game seemed to stutter and I lost control of my players. The player-switching was even worse in these conditions and overall it was pretty unplayable. I stuck with it though in the hope that it would improve (and also because I refuse to hand a 3-0 win to someone who doesn't deserve it). This was then followed by two matches that seemed really smooth and responsive with the odd 'spike' now and again. This match was closer to home, WALES.

Last edited:
Dunno about that, but I had a completely lagless match on the beta against a Brazilian. I was predicting lag, and was really surprised.

Had worse matches with people in the neighbor country (Spain) lol.

Yea, it is kinda hit and miss the lag. However, we really dont know which games are lagfree really since we cannot have offline play...

Online was all over the place tonight. Played five games and four suffered with slight slowdown and lag. Still playable but not great nonetheless. I got twatted 3-0 by romagnoli and that was a silky smooth match. The lag doesn't seem to get any better or worse if I play someone else in England or abroad.

Oh, and this game is awesome. I'm really starting to get a feel for it now.

Just for the record, my id is fjnatteri as you can see in my info at the left. The lag has been better in the last 3-4 games I have had... we will see.
This game is really hard... passing the ball around is really complicated...
Bottom line is this game is a typical PES game with all those moments you feel "wow" and the other (those you feel "WTF?")... but it is non-stop fun...

PS: Please stop the PMs asking for a gameshare, it is not gonna happen...

First of all, I'd like to give a massive thanks to evo-web for allowing me to test the beta code. Cannot thank you guys enough, and Lami you are an absolute legend. :WORSHIP:

Feels like football

My impressions after five matches...

Before I start, I should note the caveat here is that this is a beta code of an online mode, and nothing more. The point can’t really be overemphasised. It wouldn’t be fair to draw too many conclusions about the final game based on this one mode only.

I’ve never been an online player in PES. I’ve heard the horror stories of years past, and to be honest, playing someone that isn’t sitting right beside me never appealed all that much. That may change this year.

I’ve played a few really good competitive matches, and have not once in five games seen anyone spam a trick button or play in any way that would spoil the game. Each match has been better than the last, as I’ve developed my understanding of the controls and begin to appreciate the difference between last year’s game and this. The old tactics feel useless. I felt like my football brain was being tested more than my dexterity.

In my first match, I was being caught in possession relying on things that worked so well in PES2010. I quickly changed tact, adapted my style to hit on the break and play balls into space, making use of the channels. To this end, I made adjustments to my first choice eleven, and selected the appropriate formation. I felt like a Stoke City or Bolton, not playing the most stylish of football, but doing what was necessary with the players at my disposal.

In one match, I came up against a player with Aguero spearheading his attack. I dropped Stein (DM) into the middle and played him in a spoiler role, charged with man marking Aguero and leaving both centrebacks free to carry out their own duties. This tactic worked a treat, as my default master league players frustrated the Argentine, denying him space to impact the game. On the other side of things, I employed a very successful counter attack, with the big man-little man combo up front.

I could really feel the tactical side of the game coming to the fore.

The passing game is miles ahead of what we’ve seen in the previous games. It’s hard to say much more about the intricacies considering I haven’t tried it out with real life players, but it’s certainly a massive improvement. The game has changed so much.

The most noticeable issue with the AI at this point would be the awareness to loose balls. At times players haven’t reacted to a ball when they’re the closest man. I don’t know if this is down to them being master league default players, or a genuine AI issue. If the latter, I hope it’s sorted out before the full release as it would be my biggest gripe so far.

As I said, I've only played five matches, but right now I am very impressed by how the game plays.

Everyone,

Please keep this on-topic and about feedback only. No need for personal arguments.

Maybe its just me, but the only positive I can see in this is that the relays look good.

I don't see this freedom business at all, yeah it may be slightly better than 2010 but it is not that much fun to play. Everything still feels on rails.

The gameplay is not the focus tho, so fair enough but I am not holding my breath for big changes from the demo. Offline it might be brilliant, who knows.

As for the mlo, it is ok as a game mode goes, not too involved and adds a new slant to online mode.

Would like to be more positive, but I call it as I see it.

My feedback with the gameplay is that sometimes the trapping logic overrides what you're pressing and ends up pulling your player out of position. It's not an AI difficulty or attribute based thing - It's not a skill to run in a straight line and I can't see why difficulty settings would affect your ability to control your own player. There's a very off chance that it may be addressed but as well as being likely to be embedded in how the code currently works, it'd also have a significant balancing impact on the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone worked the tricks out yet? I saw someone doing a heel chop with Castolo.

Is there much of the left stick stuff still in there? I seemed to be pulling off subtle feints and turns with just the left stick, but I've not been privvy to much 2010 play and don't really know how to pull off what. I've got Nene and he's up to his eyeballs in trickery cards but I don't know how to get the most out of them!

Maybe its just me, but the only positive I can see in this is that the relays look good.

I don't see this freedom business at all, yeah it may be slightly better than 2010 but it is not that much fun to play. Everything still feels on rails.

The gameplay is not the focus tho, so fair enough but I am not holding my breath for big changes from the demo. Offline it might be brilliant, who knows.

As for the mlo, it is ok as a game mode goes, not too involved and adds a new slant to online mode.

Would like to be more positive, but I call it as I see it.

I played you tonight mate, not sure if it was in the cup but I went on to win it, get over 5 million in the bank as well which I bought Fabregas.

I would say as well tonight it seemed to click with me, almost on a 10 match winning streak, having Arteta, Walcott and Tuncay helped as well but you have to use them right, you can't spam the sprint with these players and the slow dribbling works a treat in tight spaces.

Has anyone worked the tricks out yet? I saw someone doing a heel chop with Castolo.

Is there much of the left stick stuff still in there? I seemed to be pulling off subtle feints and turns with just the left stick, but I've not been privvy to much 2010 play and don't really know how to pull off what. I've got Nene and he's up to his eyeballs in trickery cards but I don't know how to get the most out of them!

Not a clue, just trying to get the basics down, and with it being online it's not really smooth enough for me to feel like bothering with tricks.

If you use RT (which I changed to RB as I like the trigger for dash) you can pull off a few little bits of skill when used with left stick, sometimes it messes up and turns your player crab walking. :(

Back
Top Bottom