PES 2011 Master League Online beta Feedback thread

Grateful to get a beta key but only about 473 players registered. Hope a lot more are handed out especially to other evo webbers like Klashman who signed up 20mins after the annoucement!

-I don't use fully manual passing and would prefer the LT to be mapped to the strategies, as the back button is too awkward, making you take your thumb off the analogue stick. Because of this I only really use strategies in between passes or in the breaks of play. I tried to change it in the button configuration but you can't! AAARRGGHHH!

-The new front end and game plan drag and drop system takes some getting used to, but is actually quite cool :)

-I miss my man marking, which is crucial for defending, where is it?

-I also miss my player index (setting each player to defense/balanced/attack), where has it gone? Klash told me it's in the options menu that is hidden in the beta but will be in the full game.

-I've had a blatant penalty not given, a sliding tackle through the back of the legs, but later on I did get and score a penalty.

-As I said earlier it's playable but laggy, this needs to improve, I can't fully test the pressing system or the whole game in fact if it is not smooth! Only had red or orange connections, primarily the low reds. FIFA had this sorted out ages ago, why are we still living in the dark ages Konami, get better servers!

-Shooting is very hard, but this might be because of the stats of the default ML players :)
-Saying that I've scored plenty of goals and am currently unbeaten after about 10 games, won 2-0, 5-0, was wining 4-0 earlier when a guy quit. I've also had a few tight games, it is NOT a speedfest.

-Menu loading after matches takes ages, it's like the game freezes then decides to load again

-The new camera is interesting, but ultimately still restricts your full view of the pitch. I'll be going back to wide cam when the full game is out.

-The passing is good, still stat based but a mix of FIFA's semi and manual, you can play balls into space and feet intuitively.

-The 'Advertise' menu music is awesome, I need that mp3, awesome bass-line, drums, guitars.

-Reading the posts above, I've been wondering why I've been earning so little money, I'll start entering competitions and selling players, I've already got a few good and relatively cheap players on my targets list, but some are being snapped up and the prices are increasing.

-The whole economy system is very interesting so far.

I was playing a match about half an hour ago and we both got disconnected due to the server being unavailable, I concur it must be maintenance. Make the servers better Konami!

Last edited:
Grateful to get a beta key but only about 473 players registered. Hope a lot more are handed out especially to other evo webbers like Klashman who signed up 20mins after the annoucement!

-I don't use fully manual passing and would prefer the LT to be mapped to the strategies, as the back button is too awkward, making you take your thumb off the analogue stick. Because of this I only really use strategies in between passes or in the breaks of play. I tried to change it in the button configuration but you can't! AAARRGGHHH!

-The new front end and game plan drag and drop system takes some getting used to, but is actually quite cool :)

-I miss my man marking, which is crucial for defending, where is it?

-I also miss my player index (setting each player to defense/balanced/attack), where has it gone? Klash told me it's in the options menu that is hidden in the beta but will be in the full game.

-I've had a blatant penalty not given, a sliding tackle through the back of the legs, but later on I did get and score a penalty.

-As I said earlier it's playable but laggy, this needs to improve, I can't fully test the pressing system or the whole game in fact if it is not smooth! Only had red or orange connections, primarily the low reds. FIFA had this sorted out ages ago, why are we still living in the dark ages Konami, get better servers!

-Shooting is very hard, but this might be because of the stats of the default ML players :)
-Saying that I've scored plenty of goals, won 2-0, 5-0, was wining 4-0 earlier when a guy quit.

-Menu loading after matches takes ages, it's like the game freezes then decides to load again

-The new camera is interesting, but ultimately still restricts your full view of the pitch. I'll be going back to wide cam when the full game is out.

The passing is good, still stat based but a mix of FIFA's semi and manual, you can play balls into space and feet intuitively.

The 'Advertise' menu music is awesome, I need that mp3, awesome bass-line, drums, guitars.

Reading the posts above, I've been wondering why I've been earning so little money, I'll start entering competitions and selling players, I've already got a few good and relatively cheap players on my targets list, but some are being snapped up and the prices are increasing.

The whole economy system is very interesting so far.

Bobo I was playing a match and we both got disconnect due to the server being unavailable, I concur it must be maintenance. Make the servers better Konami!

Thanks for this, I was trying all manner of combinations that didn't work - I too preferred the LT for strategies.

Anyone any idea how to change the mentality to attacking/defending (the bar that is next to the strategies)?

EDIT: Wide cam is in the game, press pause and select camera settings.

Signed Kevin Phillips and Charlie Adam - little dynamos these. Phillips is deadly in the box and Adam is placing passes at will.

Really chuffed with these and they both only cost me 2,500,000.

jonneymendoza said:
You say you can create your own master league team. does that mean i can name my team whatever i like and create my own kits and badge and assign a home stadium?

Well you can pick one of the in game teams and then you get a chance to rename the team to whatever you want. So I think in the full game you'd be able to edit your kit, badge too team and use that online. I'm sure it look that way but as there isn't any option for that in this beta I've not gone digging around in the tips section in the menus to see if they mention it anywhere.

No option on this for selecting what stadium you play in. And I'm not sure if that will be something you can do in the full game. I doubt it as you get gate receipt money and it would seem silly to play in a huge stadium and still only get £43.000.

Is their a training mode in ML?
No signs of it here

Someone mentions cup competitions. How many cup competitions is their? 2 like in offline ML? are their cup competitions that involve "all" teams from across all divisions like a "fa cup" ?

I'm sure someone explained how the competitions work already. maybe not. I've not managed to play one yet (I missed the start time twice because I was in the middle of a match myself :( )

-

Random thoughts on the actual MLO.

I love that everyone gets blocked from buying players if a lot of people start to buy them. So like if someone's price has dropped and he's a bargain... to stop everyone from picking that guy up on the cheap its a first come first served thing. Once a certain amount of people have bought them we're all blocked from buying until the next day when their price will have risen and they're no longer a cheap buy. It's going to mean that every morning we will all flick the game on, check the prices for everyone today... see if there are any bargains and then turn it off and go on our way... and then do the same as soon as you step back into the house just so you don't miss out on any great deals.

I also think that with the cost of each game increasing as you buy better players. It will mean that it's going to be very hard to have a team of 11 super stars. If you bump into anyone who has that kind of team.. rather than roll your eyes and think 'kids'.. it's more likely that your opponent is some elite bastard who rules at the game and that's why he can keep those players for a long time.

And then you have the cool stock market style system where you can buy someone on the cheap... and then hold onto them until you feel their price has peaked and then sell them on for a huge profit. Then cross your fingers and hope that his price doesn't suddenly shoot up an extra million the next morning.

Last edited:
i played 10 games lastnight and as jameszinho says there is a certain "1 more game" effect where the more you play the more the game will open up. im going to play alot more this week before i write up my thoughts at the weekend, the game is a bit rough around the edges but the feeling of old pes games is there where every pass,tackle,block and shooting chance feels like an epic battle. its finally back to a football minded players game instead of a game players game in which you have to put yourself in the position of the player youre controlling and having knowledge
of how football works is a great advantage.

il try post vids up later and during the week,ive to buy batteries for my camera

I've spotted a couple of bugs where my opponent passed the ball into the path of his player, but his player has just stuck jogging on the spot waiting to receieve it. Although this hasnt happened to me.

I'm really glad what they 'seem' to have done with the tricks. It definately isnt every player can do every trick. They have kind of used a similar system to PES 2010 in regards to having to know your players. It seems that each player may have one or two feints to his arsenal. The skill is knowing and remembering which direction on the right stick and L2 you need to use for each player. This is a much better system all-round. Add to the fact it's difficult to move onto the tricks because of where they are situated, and it add's to the difficulty of pulling them off. You need timing, skill and knowledge of the player. Much better than I had previously anticipated.

I got beat 3-2 last night by Barcelona, who had both Fabregas and Pedro in the their team. Pedro tortured me with his finishing and notched a hat-trick, Cesc had two assists. I was concerned, and I still am a little with regards the snap of the shooting. I have seen Pedro smash one home from all of 30 yards, but as of yet, due to my poor players, I'm yet to 'feel' it myself. I appreciate the slower pace of the game dicates this to some extent, so I guess I need to pick up a decent striker to test this out.

PROS

- I only had one game that had lag and that was only for a few in game minutes. :COOL:

- At this setting (0), the pace of the game is very good and realistic. The matches have a nice flow to them and if you’ve set up your team properly, your players in midfield will have plenty of time on the ball. It doesn’t matter whether your opponent is using high pressure tactics, when timed correctly default players like Minanda can regularly get themselves out of seemingly tricky situations thanks to the :r2: button and the slow pace of the game.

- The animations are much improved compared to PES 2010, for the most part they are fluid and there is a lot of variety. Little things like players stumbling over (after being pushed in the back) look nice and I LOVE the way players reshape their bodies when collecting passes that are played in front/behind them.

- The passing is much improved, normal :x: passes are very good and as previously stated can be used as a through ball but I don’t think many will do this. :triangle: for through balls is hard coded into my fingers and that won’t change any time soon.

- In my first few games my shots were going all over the place, I then read on here that :r2: shots were in and in my games after that my shooting improved. My best goal so far has come from Burchet cutting in from the LW, passing it to Minanda who then wriggled free from a DMC, carried the ball for a few metres, played it to Castolo who held up the play enough (then eventually played a through ball behind the defence) for Espimas to make an overlapping run on the right who in turn slotted the ball into the opposite corner.

- The tactics screen is superb and well presented and the results on the pitch are amazing.

- The majority of my games I used a 4231 system with Burchet as a LW, Minanda the focal point for my team mates and Javi Martinez (new signing) and Hofs (thanks Rad) sitting in midfield. I also focused my attacks down the left and it worked a treat, Burchet and Ruskin were great and the latter did an excellent job of overlapping and keeping attacks going.

- It would nice if we could have an option to focus the attack down both flanks like FM, currently we can only go down the middle, left or right.

CONS

- In general the player switching is awful, when you in your own half it can take an age to get to the right defender. Then when the cursor finally switches the defender/s will suddenly stop and lose interest in the play.

- I don’t like the way the ball tends to slow down when you play it into space, it’s not realistic and just looks wrong. It’s not raining after all. Also when I’m in a tight spot and want to dump the ball off to a nearby team mate, sometimes my passes end up being under hit and result in losing possession.

- The new camera is a nice idea but the execution isn't very good, it's too slow and doesn't react quick enough to where the ball is on the pitch. I'm sticking with wide cam.

- The ugly toe poke shot is still in.

- This is not Master League as we know it and Konami should change the name, it's misleading.

I haven’t tried the manual passes or tricks yet, that’s on my agenda for today.

I know I've forgotten some things and I’ll post updated impressions throughout the week.

- The new camera is a nice idea but the execution isn't very good, it's too slow and doesn't react quick enough to where the ball is on the pitch. I'm sticking with wide cam.

Please can you make a pic / short vid showing the wide camera ?
Are there any new cameras in ?
thanks

Please can you make a pic / short vid showing the wide camera ?
Are there any new cameras in ?
thanks

I'll try.

I forgot to mention that Spurs aren't in the beta.

Another thing I've noticed is that defenders seem incapable of clearing corners with their feet.

R2 for close control is massively effective Tobi, I've been using that alot, forgot to mention it earlier.

i use r2 for everything jim,its really good for defenders for taking the ball out of the air on their chests and playing it away instead of getting no distance on headers and giving the ball back to the other team

Got a team going on now
Got A.Johnson and kenwyne Jones upfront, Reyes right behind them , Zenden left wing and Routledge right wing and Viera as defensive mid. The defence is the default one . Every match I have played so far I have had 1 red bar yet my connection is 12 meg . Must be a Xbox 360 thing.

Last edited:
Yeah, most games I've played have had a red connection also, yet there's been little or no lag in the game.

Looks like a nice team there mate, you just buying and selling players to raise your money or are you competing in the big competitions?

Yeah, most games I've played have had a red connection also, yet there's been little or no lag in the game.

Looks like a nice team there mate, you just buying and selling players to raise your money or are you competing in the big competitions?

ive hard red bars too on ps3 and ive 30mb broadband:CONF:

Im so glad to hear that the beta is from E3/post E3 code. It makes me feel really optimistic about seeing and trying out the future builds such as the one at Gamescom this week and then the demo in September.

After more matches I have some updated impressions:

- The new panning broadcast style camera is nice but even on wide its far too slow to react to quick events such as a powerful long pass or a snap shot. The speed of the panning needs to definitely be improved upon.

- I have noticed a couple of bugs. While I was playing against Goalgerd my defender De Jong began to do some kind of glitchy crab walk while in possession and then suddenly froze which resulted in Goalgerd scoring. In another match I saw my opponent and attempted to tackle him. I managed to get the ball off him but in the middle of this his player seemed to become stuck and began to jump around.

Other than that i'm still having fun and i'm getting better and better after each match. Im slowly adjusting to the new passing system but i'm still finding it difficult to pull off shots. Most of my efforts either go incredible wide or balloon over the bar. Since the code is only 60-70% complete I have full faith that Konami will address most of the issues present in the game that we have outlined.

Been selling players mostly
I entered the competition at 11 yesterday but I got knocked out on pens.

Im so glad to hear that the beta is from E3/post E3 code. It makes me feel really optimistic about seeing and trying out the future builds such as the one at Gamescom this week and then the demo in September.

- The new panning broadcast style camera is nice but even on wide its far too slow to react to quick events such as a powerful long pass or a snap shot. The speed of the panning needs to definitely be improved upon.

- I have noticed a couple of bugs. While I was playing against Goalgerd my defender De Jong began to do some kind of glitchy crab walk while in possession and then suddenly froze which resulted in Goalgerd scoring. In another match I saw my opponent and attempted to tackle him. I managed to get the ball off him but in the middle of this his player seemed to become stuck and began to jump around.

Other than that i'm still having fun and i'm getting better and better after each match. Im slowly adjusting to the new passing system but i'm still finding it difficult to pull off shots. Most of my efforts either go incredible wide or balloon over the bar. Since the code is only 60-70% complete I have full faith that Konami will address most of the issues present in the game that we have outlined.

Do you still have the default players? Maybe thats why. Thats whats happening with me as well. I need to buy better players to tell the difference.

yeah that animation like the old slow cross dribble from pes2008,its was if he got stuck in it, hopefully it will be ironed out the time we see the new code tomorrow. ive the highlights of that game we played i might post it up later to show people what we mean,also the own goal scored in that game was weird

Do you still have the default players? Maybe thats why. Thats whats happening with me as well. I need to buy better players to tell the difference.

most of my team now have overall over 70 stats now,you can really see the difference,just hoping the higher the stats go say to 98 for messi etc the gameplay doesnt become more like pes2010

Yeah I do. I only bought Ndaw a Senegalese defender, Nigel De Jong and Gyan Asamoah.

yeah that animation like the old slow cross dribble from pes2008,its was if he got stuck in it, hopefully it will be ironed out the time we see the new code tomorrow. ive the highlights of that game we played i might post it up later to show people what we mean,also the own goal scored in that game was weird

That would be great if you did mate.

Back
Top Bottom