PES 2008 (Xbox 360) - Official Topic

Yeah i just spotted that.....Doh

I like the look of the vid tho. It seems as quick as 6 on the PS2, whihc for me was much more fun to play than the ponderous 360 version

Mmmm that Tevez goal was sweet. I'd love to see some range shooting and how the character models shape up for shots. Movement on to the ball seems slick enough, so far i like what I see.

I'm at pain to say this but PES2008 looks terrible. Not just the dated graphics but the way it plays (just my observations fom the videos - I haven't played it of course).

It looks like playground football with 20 blokes thundering around after the ball. After watching the FIFA 08 clips and the way the players move around the pitch so realistically, I'm afraid PES may be a no buy this year.

its the same very year fifa looks amazing on the vids and pes looks ok and my belief it will be the same result fifa will have the eye candy amd pes will be the true football game. Time will tell

really would like to get to the point im undecided about ps3 and xbox 360 version,

I´m doubting too, I´m looking forward the first 360 & PS3 reviews to check differences and deciding which version to buy:

-I prefer 360 version because of: Friends list & Online mode, I think that maybe it will work better on Live! than on PSN.
-I prefer PS3 version because of: D-pad, the Sixaxis D-pad is just perfect for me to play PES. Also I want to ckeck if the PS3 version is better than the 360 version as some people say...

From what I have heard thus far they HAVENT made use of the Pathetic Six Axis.... its a rip off of the Wii controller.

I can't see a good way of implementing six-axis into a football game that wouldn't be better served by buttons/sticks. Six-axis can be good in the same way a Wii game can be good if it actually adds something to the experience instead of just being something tacked on because they can.

How's SixAxis pathetic? EDGE rated it very highly in their WarHawk review.
Because it does a very bad job at trying to immitate the Wii controller system.. It also doesnt have any sensitivity settings so you cant make it less harsh than it already is, you trying playing F1 CE with that tilt steering.. its fooking impossible.. anywayz WHAT has the six axis got to do with the 360? Nothing.. this should be in the PS3 thread.

I've got an idea on how to use Sixaxis, though why I'm posting it in the 360 thread I don't know.

You could tip it to knock the ball from one foot to the other when dribbling or before shooting. That way you'd be in control of which foot the player uses for major skills and tricks, instead of the CPU deciding for you.

I've got an idea on how to use Sixaxis, though why I'm posting it in the 360 thread I don't know.

You could tip it to knock the ball from one foot to the other when dribbling or before shooting. That way you'd be in control of which foot the player uses for major skills and tricks, instead of the CPU deciding for you.

Great :roll:

Move along to the PS3 section then please.

lol but on a serious note, ive just read this from the winning eleven next-gen blog 'So that rounds up todays news. I'll finish on saying CW & Kenny M from Evo-web both preferred the PS3 version of PES 2008 due to control issues with the X360, Kenny hated Fifa 08 while CW is thoroughly impressed, and I actually enjoyed a spot of Fifa 08 after getting used to the finesse shots.'

Having mixed emotions seeing as fifa might actually be 'enjoyable' and they reckon the 360 has control issues.

lol but on a serious note, ive just read this from the winning eleven next-gen blog 'So that rounds up todays news. I'll finish on saying CW & Kenny M from Evo-web both preferred the PS3 version of PES 2008 due to control issues with the X360, Kenny hated Fifa 08 while CW is thoroughly impressed, and I actually enjoyed a spot of Fifa 08 after getting used to the finesse shots.'

Having mixed emotions seeing as fifa might actually be 'enjoyable' and they reckon the 360 has control issues.

Yep.Its the trigger/bumper button thing.

Its just a shame that microsoft couldn't release a special "No trigger" game pad.

Just have the four bumper style buttons instead of two bumpers and two triggers.

This would be quite handy for a few games (not just pro evo).

Great :roll:

Move along to the PS3 section then please.

Hey, I didn't start the "how to use the Sixaxis" discussion in the 360 forum, and one of the guys that contributed to the Sixaxis question is the "Boss Man", so you can draw your own conclusions to how relevant my comments are to the thread from that.

I merely helpfully answered a question, and unsurprisingly I don't appear to have been banned or warned, or suffered any other sanctions else for it for that matter. As you don't appear to be admin, so I'd appreciate it if you kindly kept your condescending efforts at control freakery to yourself.

Last edited:
Yep.Its the trigger/bumper button thing.

Its just a shame that microsoft couldn't release a special "No trigger" game pad.

Just have the four bumper style buttons instead of two bumpers and two triggers.

This would be quite handy for a few games (not just pro evo).

From what I've read on WENB I thought it was more about the analogue/d-pad positioning. I think one of the guys likes to use the d-pad rather than analogue stick, and it's not exactly ideally placed on the 360 controller.

I'm sure they could clarify for you...

all playes i know are playing with the d pad on PS2 and X-box360! for myself i hate analog controling in a footy game! About the 360 controller its not a PS pad, so anyone who uses the 360 has to learn how to use it right! an believe my guys, i have seen people playing on the 360 like gods!!!

I'm at pain to say this but PES2008 looks terrible. Not just the dated graphics but the way it plays (just my observations fom the videos - I haven't played it of course).

I've played PES2008 at GC, both PS3 and Xbox360 versions. Visually they look the same, with no slowdowns at all (finally!!). And when you see gameplay of both new FIFA and PES, you won't notice huge difference except of better presentation of FIFA (better menus, replays, and so on). BTW funny to see FIFA becoming more and more PES-alike :) Even the controls of new FIFA are nearly identical to PES's.

But since I don't play FIFA at all, I've spent my time playing new PES. What I noticed immediately:

1. New animations for player movements/dribbling/shooting. First impressions - they are much smoother than at PES6. But a bit slower (which isn't too shabby at all I must say - I wasn't huge fan of animations in PES6).

2. AI-controlled players defend MUCH better than in PES6 (I haven't played vs AI team though). Personally I use "doggy-style" defense in PES6 - holding "shoot/attack" button and trying to predict with my player where the ball will be next time, while AI-controlled player from my team is attacking the guy with the ball. It's not necessary now - AI-controlled players move a lot better without a ball, I even had a few situations where they performed double attack themselves!!! and took posession of the ball while I was thinking what to do and where to run. That's really nice - because you have more time to plan counter-attack now :)

3. Same goes to attacks - players move a lot better without a ball, for example: I hate situations in PES6 when I take the ball in middle, press LB+X then dashing onto the goal and expecting previous player to run in parallel. He runs for a moment, then stops. I assume he was expecting return pass but I wanted to make the return pass much later, when I'd attract keeper and defender. This really pisses me off!! But in PES2008 it's fixed - now when you press LB+X previous player will run until he's either in deep offside or receives the ball back. I scored couple of times with this tactics - works really well!!

4. Main menu and in-game pause menu are new and pretty damn good, while formation settings menu is same as in PES6. I'm really tired of it, don't know about you guys, but the fact is that formation settings menu is the SAME.

5. Overall graphics are a little bit better than PES6 but still it's not a huge step forward. Players models are new but not revolutionary better, pitch textures are also just a little bit better, crowd is pretty much the same.

6. Back to gameplay - it's now much harder to dash through the flank since AI makes reaaallly nice "shifting move" - when you run on flank and opposing side defender will attack you, central defenders will automatically shift to the flank, backing up side defender in case you'll go past him. Looks fantastic - just like in real football!!

7. There are a lot of new dribbling moves - but I can't tell you much about them cos I couldn't make them :) Just saw guys from Konami made some sweet dribbling moves when playing in front of TV camera. I assume dribbling controls are all new.

Overall, I was rather pleased with what I saw, because it's finally new PES - not like PES6 comparing to PES5 :) Still I have a lot of questions about AI - will it really be adaptive and self-learning or it's just another marketing bulls**t. Not to mention ML - guys from Konami told me that it's "still in development and we can't really talk about that", which shows IMO that it will be the same as in PES6. Otherwise Konami would show it somehow, maybe even on videos!!

Ok, hope it wasn't a tough read for you guys since English isn't my native language :)

Last edited:
NickSCFC said:
How's SixAxis pathetic? EDGE rated it very highly in their WarHawk review.

Because it does a very bad job at trying to immitate the Wii controller system.. It also doesnt have any sensitivity settings so you cant make it less harsh than it already is, you trying playing F1 CE with that tilt steering.. its fooking impossible.. anywayz WHAT has the six axis got to do with the 360? Nothing.. this should be in the PS3 thread.

F1 CE is a fuckin shit game anyway, EDGE gave it 4/10, this was mostly down to shit controls, especially motion control. EDGE gave WarHawk a great review because it made great use of the Sixaxis.

So next time you judge Sixaxis, judge it on a game that makes good use of it, not some shit like F1 CE ;)

to be honest, unless Seabass and co have done some major overhauls on the gameplay, master league, and online play with this (for instance, mini league capability); then EA will be getting my footie game money next month. I have been loyal to PES since the days of ISS, probably since before some of you could even talk - but this is ridiculous! Slight improvements every time, no revamp of the oh so dated master league format, how much effort does it take?!

I'll reserve judgement until I see a review, but things dont look good going by the blog.

I've played PES2008 at GC, both PS3 and Xbox360 versions. Visually they look the same, with no slowdowns at all (finally!!). And when you see gameplay of both new FIFA and PES, you won't notice huge difference except of better presentation of FIFA (better menus, replays, and so on). BTW funny to see FIFA becoming more and more PES-alike :) Even the controls of new FIFA are nearly identical to PES's.

But since I don't play FIFA at all, I've spent my time playing new PES. What I noticed immediately:

1. New animations for player movements/dribbling/shooting. First impressions - they are much smoother than at PES6. But a bit slower (which isn't too shabby at all I must say - I wasn't huge fan of animations in PES6).
2. AI-controlled players defend MUCH better than in PES6 (I haven't played vs AI team though). Personally I use "doggy-style" defense in PES6 - holding "shoot/attack" button and trying to predict with my player where the ball will be next time, while AI-controlled player from my team is attacking the guy with the ball. It's not necessary now - AI-controlled players move a lot better without a ball, I even had a few situations where they performed double attack themselves!!! and took posession of the ball while I was thinking what to do and where to run. That's really nice - because you have more time to plan counter-attack now :)
3. Same goes to attacks - players move a lot better without a ball, for example: I hate situations in PES6 when I take the ball in middle, press LB+X then dashing onto the goal and expecting previous player to run in parallel. He runs for a moment, then stops. I assume he was expecting return pass but I wanted to make the return pass much later, when I'd attract keeper and defender. This really pisses me off!! But in PES2008 it's fixed - now when you press LB+X previous player will run until he's either in deep offside or receives the ball back. I scored couple of times with this tactics - works really well!!
4. Main menu and in-game pause menu are new and pretty damn good, while formation settings menu is same as in PES6. I'm really tired of it, don't know about you guys, but the fact is that formation settings menu is the SAME.
5. Overall graphics are a little bit better than PES6 but still it's not a huge step forward. Players models are new but not revolutionary better, pitch textures are also just a little bit better, crowd is pretty much the same.
6. Back to gameplay - it's now much harder to dash through the flank since AI makes reaaallly nice "shifting move" - when you run on flank and opposing side defender will attack you, central defenders will automatically shift to the flank, backing up side defender in case you'll go past him. Looks fantastic - just like in real football!!
7. There are a lot of new dribbling moves - but I can't tell you much about them cos I couldn't make them :) Just saw guys from Konami made some sweet dribbling moves when playing in front of TV camera. I assume dribbling controls are all new.

Overall, I was rather pleased with what I saw, because it's finally new PES - not like PES6 comparing to PES5 :) Still I have a lot of questions about AI - will it really be adaptive and self-learning or it's just another marketing bulls**t. Not to mention ML - guys from Konami told me that it's "still in development and we can't really talk about that", which shows IMO that it will be the same as in PES6. Otherwise Konami would show it somehow, maybe even on videos!!

Ok, hope it wasn't a tough read for you guys since English isn't my native language :)

it was atough read has you needed make use of spaces between each point for easy read on the eye but still a pleasent read.

i just heard that pes wont have 2v2 anymore
its all 1v1 !! to me thats taking a step back imo has they should of IMPROVED the online functionality of the game not make it worse.. i only play online in pro evo has master league and those silly cups are all boring and not challenging enough for me on 6 star.

it was atough read has you needed make use of spaces between each point for easy read on the eye but still a pleasent read.

i just heard that pes wont have 2v2 anymore
its all 1v1 !! to me thats taking a step back imo has they should of IMPROVED the online functionality of the game not make it worse.. i only play online in pro evo has master league and those silly cups are all boring and not challenging enough for me on 6 star.

Made spaces, sorry!
BTW I saw some guys at X360 stand playing 2 vs AI - so I guess there will be 2v2 mode :)

F1 CE is a fuckin shit game anyway, EDGE gave it 4/10, this was mostly down to shit controls, especially motion control. EDGE gave WarHawk a great review because it made great use of the Sixaxis.

So next time you judge Sixaxis, judge it on a game that makes good use of it, not some shit like F1 CE ;)
Nick.. Edge arent the be all and end all!!! most other places gave F1CE a decent rating... Ok what about that stupid Rub A Dub game? thats good use of Six Axis? also some of the other games like COD3? oh yeah not a gimmick in the slightest:roll:

Motion control for a console like the playstation is completely pointless. The Wii has a controller perfectly suited to it which is why it works so well. Sony haven't realised that you either need a dedicated peripheral for motion control or nothing at all. A compromise just doesn't work.

ANYWAY... PES on the 360! Woooo!

Back
Top Bottom