One of the worst games ever released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six Reasons Why I Hate PES2008 - The Movie

All about CPU cheating. I've provided this as proof that the CPU cheats but I can never prove it 100% because I'd have to have one camera recording the buttons I press on the pad as well, so believe it or don't believe it. But I'm hoping four years on these boards - and the fact that I've been bothered to record all of this and post it before I take the game back - shows that I deserve some trust.

(Apologies for posting in more than one thread, but I think it's relevant to each one I've posted it in)

hehe, class mate :)

the "fumble" balls that fall straight into the feet of the opponent are absolutely ridiculous. I've played master league today, started with the original ML players on 6* difficulty. Everytime i'm 1 up, somehow the cpu manages to score the equaliser in last 10 minutes of the game. It doesnt matter if i put 10 men on CB, they always manage to fumble the ball just right into their feet and score a ridiculous goal.

also the passing issue comes to play. Notice how all of a sudden you cant pass the ball through the middle from your back to a cb or the back on the other side. For some mysterious reason the ball seems to be smothered with mapple syrup and loses all its speed, so the opposing attacker can simply intercept it..

you know, these issues have always been there. But for f*ck sake, its freakin 2007 now. Honest to god, i really wonder what the game-developers are doing apart from putting in new animations or fixing the ai. People been complaining for years and every year i get my hopes up that they might have fixed some of the annoying issues, but every year it turns out to be a deception.

I'm not saying i'm gonna abandon the game, cos i'm too much of a footy-addict and can't be arsed to be a fifa sell-out ;), but its a f*cking disgrace

playing the actual game, is still top drawer, im pissed off that i cxant watch a belter of a goal on replay, im pissed off i cant edit the way i want, im pissed off at online ( for the moment, that will be fixed ) but im certainly not pissed off with the actual gameplay, and that was the main reason for buying it, its still head and shoulders above the competition for on-pitch action, and im loving it :)

This game doen't make me happy. The last 2 YEARS next gen gets CRAPPY versions of our favourite game.... The game we did ANYTHING for to get it....to play it....

What a dissapointment! :(

Bought the game just 3 days ago, so I won't be that harsh yet but,
one thing that's been bothering me for years now:

when you succesfully tackle a player (without getting yellow) 9 outa 10 times the opponent you just tackled gets back up on it's feet way quicker than yourself and claims the ball and dribbles on like nothing really happened.

so damn annoying.

Don't be daft. He's lead programmer. :thumbup:

Sorry to the fanboys who get offended by that, couldn't resist. Talk about the FIFA toilet-paper you have to cool yourself down again if you want.

Good vid, but we all know the computer cheats, if they want to score there going to score you cant do anything about it and vice versa if they dont want you to score you wont. But your points would carry far more weight if you hadn't sided with Fifa. I have both, I think both need improving a lot in the next 12 months. But for comedy value I think you should compile a Fifa vid as well. One of the most annoying things I have witnessed is in Fifa, your keeper constantly pulling off unbelievable saves (perfectley placed 100mph shots) and then flapping at a slow chipped in free kick which he should gather never mind push out to the forward to tap in. But thats just one of the many fake examples. I am sure if you put in as much effort as you have with PES you would have a very funny vid to show us.

Ps If you dont like the computer cheating play on-line (when the servers are 100%)

Last edited:
But your points would carry far more weight if you hadn't sided with Fifa. I have both, I think both need improving a lot in the next 12 months.
And I agree with you. Check out the FIFA thread where I'm bemoaning the goalkeepers being impossible, apart from when they decide a goal is needed and fall over in a heap. And defenders that are perfectly regimented no matter what team you're playing. But two wrongs don't make a right, just because FIFA has problems doesn't mean people should say both games are acceptable. They're not. IN MY OPINION (got to add that now or you get sued, haha).

But for comedy value I think you should compile a Fifa vid as well.
I would, but I made that video because I absolutely hate PES2008 - and I spent my own money to play it for the weekend courtesy of Blockbuster, so you can't say I didn't give it a fair chance. I, personally, think it is God-awful and that FIFA is a lot of fun (and the better simulation) - feel free to disagree, debate is what a forum is all about - but the game I see as the most urgently in need of fixing is PES. Why? Those CPU bugs have been in the game for ten fucking years. You know what to expect before the game even comes out - not on, in my opinion (there it is again).

HOWEVER, if somebody did a FIFA one, I would happily view it, laugh at it and hope that EA saw it so that they could sort it out.

I've just remembered, my biggest fault with FIFA (and one I'd love to see a video of) is when the opposition player has the ball and no matter how you try and tackle him... Well, in PES, there is an invisible wall around the player so you tackle one foot away instead of right at the ball. In FIFA, they just have the ball glued to their feet, and they can turn round and around and around, until you'd imagine they must be dizzy and ready to puke. :D You can't touch them when the game doesn't want you to.

See, I'm no blind fanboy. :)

Ps If you dont like the computer cheating play on-line (when the servers are 100%)
But you see, nine outfield players from each side are CPU controlled in multiplayer games, so these things still happen. Take #1 from my video for example. It's as if there's a virtual coin tossed before each match that says, this team will play better than this team - and when the game wants to give the ball to the opposition, it will just alter your pass's path to the opponent's feet.

Thank God for Football Manager, it's got none of this. :)

Seriously though, I pray for the day that EA and Konami open up like SI (makers of Football Manager) and listen to all complaints and suggestions. Why can't they? Why can't they employ specific people to do this (EA have actually, but I think they're looking out for hair suggestions rather than gameplay ones)? If they did, we'd have the best football game in the world from one of them.

Six Reasons Why I Hate PES2008 - The Movie

All about CPU cheating. I've provided this as proof that the CPU cheats but I can never prove it 100% because I'd have to have one camera recording the buttons I press on the pad as well, so believe it or don't believe it. But I'm hoping four years on these boards - and the fact that I've been bothered to record all of this and post it before I take the game back - shows that I deserve some trust.

(Apologies for posting in more than one thread, but I think it's relevant to each one I've posted it in)

Thank you Mr. Bauer for outlining all of the faults that the PES games have had over the years. I for one started playing this series a few years after everyone else on here, and I always thought that the "misplaced" passes were my fault, but it seems they're not.

I realised while playing it yesterday that the problem is, the game is still made for eight directions of movement (with the D-PAD), as it has been for years. That is what is causing nearly all of these problems, I think.

The passes going to the wrong player (#1 in the video), for example - well, in the video I made, there's no excuse because there is no other player on the right side of the pitch I could be even thinking of passing to, there was no winger in-front of me on that wing and I wasn't pressing behind me, so there's no excuse. BUT, bear with me.

Say left on the stick is -90 degrees, top-left is -45 degrees, straight-up is 0 degrees. Yesterday there were several instances where I had a player at -70 degrees and one at -20 degrees. If I point to either of those players using the analog stick, the game still sees it as -45 degrees and guesses which one you want to pass to. So whether you play with the D-PAD or the analog stick, you have the same limited amount of control. I'm sad enough to have made a diagram of what I mean...

It completely cripples your attacking build-up play when the CPU decides to give the ball to the wrong player, even more so when (as shown in the video) it's doing it just to give the opposition a chance. When it has that level of control, it makes me wonder why I don't just let the CPU play the CPU, because it might as well.

Last edited:
I rarely pass to the wrong player. If I do, its usual my own fault. Just play the game more instead of the endless whining.

PES 2008 is the best PES yet. Much better than FIFA 08. Me and some friends played all night. They all agree its great, and we had much more fun than last weekend when we were playing FIFA 08.

you cant review a fucking game after renting it for a weekend from blockbuster:) ffs man, best pes to date, gameplay wise, FIFA may look like football but plays fuck all like it

I rarely pass to the wrong player. If I do, its usual my own fault. Just play the game more instead of the endless whining.

PES 2008 is the best PES yet. Much better than FIFA 08. Me and some friends played all night. They all agree its great, and we had much more fun than last weekend when we were playing FIFA 08.

To each their own but this is the type of blind allegiance that will have us all still posting this kind of stuff from our retirement homes...

'Shut up and just keep buying PES and playing it every year cuz if your mates agree that it's great why then it MUST be!'

<sound of my forehead banging against keyboard> :|

What I spend my time doing is my own business. There's an ignore function on these forums; use it.

you cant review a fucking game after renting it for a weekend from blockbuster:)
Don't you get the whole point of the video? I wouldn't have noticed those bugs, if they hadn't already been in the game for ten years. I don't care if a game has bugs, all games have bugs. But I knew what bugs would be in the game before opening the case, meaning I know what the CPU is going to do to me before I start kicking the ball around. It is acceptable for a game to have bugs. It is not acceptable for those bugs to be there every year, the exact same ones, meaning you get the exact same glitches every game versus the CPU or even in multiplayer. So one weekend is enough, when the base of the code is ten years old.

'Shut up and just keep buying PES and playing it every year cuz if your mates agree that it's great why then it MUST be!'

<sound of my forehead banging against keyboard> :|
What annoys me is when people say "if you don't like it, get a refund and don't play it". I'd rather say what's wrong so that enough people might realise what's happening, complain to Konami and then one day, maybe, just maybe, they will sort it.

I would rather bitch on here about the faults than be one of the endless FIFA bashers who can only muster "it's shit lol". Why is it shit, young man? "it just is lol". Thanks for that.

Last edited:
if you knew all this then why waste your money renting it? you hate it and want everyone else to hate it, hence posting up your silly little video,youve got a serious ( micro )chip on your shoulder mate, i know theres problems, but the major problem with fifa is actually trying to play a game that resembles football, konami know this and thats why their efforts are half arsed, im pissed off at their lame attemts but its still the No:1 football game available today and i still get great enjoyment out of it, chill out a bit, instead of wasting your time comiling little hate videos, phone konami or something useful

I've said a million times over, I just want the game to improve, and I've said even more often than that I don't want anyone to hate the game. Am I telling people they're stupid for liking the game? No. (Incidentally, people are telling me I'm stupid for liking FIFA, but I never respond and say they're stupid for playing PES.) It's still PES at it's heart and so people will love that. FAIR PLAY TO THEM. I have no problem with that, okay?

What I do have a problem with is people telling me I'm making hate videos. Those bugs have been in the game for ten years, and I made the video A) to show people what is meant by "CPU cheats" (as some people don't know what this refers to), and B) in the vain hope that Konami will see it and do something about it (and I have emailed them a link to the video).

So if you love the game, I have no problem with that. I think you're the one that needs to chill, mate.

im chilled, so after 10 years of analysing the game, why spend 3.75 in blockbuster for a weekend of playing a " bug ridden " game, IMO, pro evo has been the dominant game in the past decade, ive got no problem with you or anyone liking fifa, just not my cup of tea, alright for 12-16 year olds who want to score 35 yarders at every opportunity

if you knew all this then why waste your money renting it? you hate it and want everyone else to hate it, hence posting up your silly little video,youve got a serious ( micro )chip on your shoulder mate, i know theres problems, but the major problem with fifa is actually trying to play a game that resembles football, konami know this and thats why their efforts are half arsed, im pissed off at their lame attemts but its still the No:1 football game available today and i still get great enjoyment out of it, chill out a bit, instead of wasting your time comiling little hate videos, phone konami or something useful

You're missing Jack's point and the whole point of this entire bloody mess. The very first step to change is raising awareness - what good does it do if only Jack and me and a couple others phone Konami (or do something useful as you put it) when thousands of others such as yourself will just simply line up and buy PES year after year (just because it says PES on the label) DESPITE the fact that as you readily admit, you're pissed off at their half arsed efforts?!
As long as PES keeps selling it's almost guaranteed that NOTHING will change (history has shown us that and we're all doomed to have it keep repeating!) - and you and I and Jack, all of us who used to be in love with the WE/PES series are gonna just keep getting whatever swill Konami decides to pour out on us.
You claim that PES is still the No.1 football game - this is the kind of blind, misguided allegiance I was referring to before that will keep Seabass and crew fat, lazy and happy and all of us continually frustrated.
You question Jack as to why he would rent it if he knew he didn't like it...well why do you BUY the game if you're "pissed off at their lame attmepts"?? (in your exact words).
This ain't about supporting one game or company over the other - it's about NOT supporting a company that seemingly doesn't give a flying toss about it's faithful fanbase...and the bitter irony of it all is that faith is all they need to continue to not care.

Last edited:
You're missing Jack's point and the whole point of this entire bloody mess. The very first step to change is raising awareness - what good does it do if only Jack and me and a couple others phone Konami (or do something useful as you put it) when thousands of others such as yourself will just simply line up and buy PES year after year (just because it says PES on the label) DESPITE the fact that as you readily admit, you're pissed off at their half arsed efforts?!
As long as PES keeps selling it's almost guaranteed that NOTHING will change (history has shown us that and we're all doomed to have it keep repeating!) - and you and I and Jack, all of us who used to be in love with the WE/PES series are gonna just keep getting whatever swill Konami decides to pour out on us.
You claim that PES is still the No.1 football game - this is the kind of blind, misguided allegiance I was referring to before that will keep Seabass and crew fat, lazy and happy and all of us continually frustrated.
You question Jack as to why he would rent it if he knew he didn't like it...well why do you BUY the game if you're "pissed off at their lame attmepts"?? (in your exact words).
This ain't about supporting one game or company over the other - it's about NOT supporting a company that seemingly doesn't give a flying toss about it's faithful fanbase...and the bitter irony of it all is that faith is all they need to continue to not care.

i said im pissed off at their half arsed efforts yes, that is because of the lack of editing mode, which is and always has been extinct on fifa anyway, fair doos to you and jack, no harm can come of what your trying to do, what im saying is, for pure on field football, im more than happy

i said im pissed off at their half arsed efforts yes, that is because of the lack of editing mode, which is and always has been extinct on fifa anyway, fair doos to you and jack, no harm can come of what your trying to do, what im saying is, for pure on field football, im more than happy
I'm honestly happy for you mate, no sarcasm.

nice avatars, is this the FIFA brigade trying to cause unrest :):):)
There's a FIFA league being run on the site that we play in. I could easily say "is this the PES brigade choosing to completely ignore my points and blindly love the game again" but I won't, because at least you admit they have made a half-arsed effort. Kudos to you.

Nice video!

And yet all the fook ups 5-1 I'm happy to pass as things which make the game unpredictable and not robotic like old FIFA.
The occasional crap pass, bad run is your individual players fooking up because of their luck and stats ...its realism and what I like about the game.
Yep its AI, and it can be frustrating but it is the reason its so god damn addictive....
its unpredictable.
If for instance that upward pass from Gerrard in the vid. always went the wrong way and to the opposition it would be crap programming,but no usually they go to their man. They program in the occasional shit pass/shot/run/slide/head thus all kinds of swear words exit my mouth when it happens, but its the same for all and makes it unpredictable.
Too unpredictable? thus frustrating for some.....eg u .

I love it and loved pes6 so its obviously catering for some!
The ability to add faces of mates makes up for all the lack of licences and almost the shit addboards!

You know, I've never seen such an amount of fanboy spew in one post.

It's true what he says though, some people love it. Enough people have said so to prove that - each to his own.

best pes to date, gameplay wise

is that a quote from seabass or do you actually believe that?

what about the game speed? which is actually the biggest flaw of this year's version. i have played all of them but none feels so unreal und fast. it's like an icehockey-game man!

what about the graphics? i for one bought my xbox for €400 back in the days and paid 70€ for the game and honestly all i see is a playstation2-game. isn't that a pain in the ass for you aswell?

and what do you think about the database. for example PUERTA (god bless him) STILL BEING IN THE STARTING 11 OF SEVILLA for fucks sake!!

and here's another one for ya: as you may know, pes has had many great and revolutionary ideas in terms of play modes and editing features e.g. CHALLENGE TRAINING, STEP-BY-STEP TRAINING, SCENARIO MODE(omg this was great on iss). where did they all go?

when i was playing pes5 2 years ago, i had so damn big expectations and was really looking forward for the series going nextgen.

years later, what did i get (for 70 bucks)? a through and through arcade game (never ever thought this could happen to PES) with messy fast gamespeed and playsation2 graphics, still absolutely NO development in terms of SOUND, LICENCES, STADIUM DETAILS. and most sadly, they also completly fucked up the master league.

and now people like you come up with crap like "wow, it's the best pes to date. wow, they finally included hammarby instead of the whole german league. and look: 8 stadiums!! no kahn at bayern! who cares!! because we got the diving botton which makes the fantastic gameplay ever better and more realistic. and now, seeing that they finally got rid of some needless editing features such as 'kit editing, boot editing' and a few dumb game modes and competitions i can truly claim that this is the best PES ever released!"

"oh wait, instead of the teamskill-diagram on master-league main menu, they now included a MYSPACE advertising sign and a cute dog sitting in front of the screen! marvellous!!"

people like you are the reason why seabass stopped the evolution long ago. as long as you still buy it, they don't need to change anything, because to you, pes2008 is the best pes EVER and you're fine with it. simple as that.

As long as it still plays like PES some people will always love it. Fair play to them.

I'm not here to start a war. I just want to point out what I see as faults with the game, and I don't argue when people point out what they see as fantastic elements of the game. Each to his own.

im chilled, so after 10 years of analysing the game, why spend 3.75 in blockbuster for a weekend of playing a " bug ridden " game, IMO, pro evo has been the dominant game in the past decade, ive got no problem with you or anyone liking fifa, just not my cup of tea, alright for 12-16 year olds who want to score 35 yarders at every opportunity

You clearly have not played Fifa 08. Screamers are rare and you actually need to build up an attack instead of just running through players to score! That's the common thought of all you stupid fanboys who think they know it all.

And yes I agree with the original post. I was so excited especially after hearing that this game will be the best sports game ever to be released on PC. I skipped school on Tuesday to play the living hell out of teh game and I was greatly disappointed. One with the "next-gen" engine, the horrible goalkeepers, the shitty music, the lack of build up and how easy the game is!

all of that crap you came up with doesnt affect the most important thing about the game, playability, thats why i said " on-field " its the best PES to date, who gives a fuck if kahn's not at munich, i dont care, as long as i can enjoy playing teh best footie game, on the park, thatll do for me

You clearly have not played Fifa 08. Screamers are rare and you actually need to build up an attack instead of just running through players to score! That's the common thought of all you stupid fanboys who think they know it all.

And yes I agree with the original post. I was so excited especially after hearing that this game will be the best sports game ever to be released on PC. I skipped school on Tuesday to play the living hell out of teh game and I was greatly disappointed. One with the "next-gen" engine, the horrible goalkeepers, the shitty music, the lack of build up and how easy the game is!

i bought fifa on release day to see what the hype was about, had it for four weeks, reverted back to pes6, thats how bad it played, fat waxworks rollerblading around the pitch, stats make no difference in fifa, theyre just for show, a bit like jordan, easy on the eye, no depth

is that a quote from seabass or do you actually believe that?

what about the game speed? which is actually the biggest flaw of this year's version. i have played all of them but none feels so unreal und fast. it's like an icehockey-game man!

what about the graphics? i for one bought my xbox for €400 back in the days and paid 70€ for the game and honestly all i see is a playstation2-game. isn't that a pain in the ass for you aswell?

and what do you think about the database. for example PUERTA (god bless him) STILL BEING IN THE STARTING 11 OF SEVILLA for fucks sake!!

and here's another one for ya: as you may know, pes has had many great and revolutionary ideas in terms of play modes and editing features e.g. CHALLENGE TRAINING, STEP-BY-STEP TRAINING, SCENARIO MODE(omg this was great on iss). where did they all go?

when i was playing pes5 2 years ago, i had so damn big expectations and was really looking forward for the series going nextgen.

years later, what did i get (for 70 bucks)? a through and through arcade game (never ever thought this could happen to PES) with messy fast gamespeed and playsation2 graphics, still absolutely NO development in terms of SOUND, LICENCES, STADIUM DETAILS. and most sadly, they also completly fucked up the master league.

and now people like you come up with crap like "wow, it's the best pes to date. wow, they finally included hammarby instead of the whole german league. and look: 8 stadiums!! no kahn at bayern! who cares!! because we got the diving botton which makes the fantastic gameplay ever better and more realistic. and now, seeing that they finally got rid of some needless editing features such as 'kit editing, boot editing' and a few dumb game modes and competitions i can truly claim that this is the best PES ever released!"

"oh wait, instead of the teamskill-diagram on master-league main menu, they now included a MYSPACE advertising sign and a cute dog sitting in front of the screen! marvellous!!"

people like you are the reason why seabass stopped the evolution long ago. as long as you still buy it, they don't need to change anything, because to you, pes2008 is the best pes EVER and you're fine with it. simple as that.

Quoted for truth. I'm gonna see if I can return my copy tomorrow because it's gash, and I've been an avid fan of ISS/PES for 10 years. Not having bought a version since PES 4 on the Xbox I was really looking forward to PES 2008, but after managing to make it to the edit section (having just about survived the menu design and music which is somehow worse than normal) and seeing the lack of options that killed half my enthusiasm before I'd even played a match. Then when I loaded it up and had a few matches of superspeed ping pong football the other half died too. This is the same shit I was playing on the PS2 but with jerky replays and worse gameplay. Really, really disappointing.

I downloaded the FIFA 08 demo to see if it was worth swapping PES for that, but to tell the truth I didn't really like it at all so I guess I'll just try and get a refund or swap it for something else if I have to. Anyone know if GAME will refund a game that's been opened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom