One of the worst games ever released?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bla bla bla, im off to play pro evo:):):)

And so it goes on and on...

As Julien says I joined this forum almost six years ago after I discovered the amazing world of Winning Eleven and then PES. I've spent countless dollars thru the years so I'd be able to get and play WE/PES imports here in the States and countless hours exchanging thoughts and ideas on playing and editing the game here in this community.
Even though PES was somewhat of a disappointment last year I decided to upgrade to a NextGen console in anticipation of the return of the 'evolution' of the series to NextGen, as I'm sure did many other longtime dedicated WE/PES players (I would venture to guess Jack included), and to have Konami spew out the half-arsed, unfinished, bare-bones PES2008 as that NextGen offering is not only incredibly disappointing but simply unacceptable on many levels.
When a company enters into a relationship with it's gamers over the years as Konami has (whether they care to acknowledge it or not), there is an unspoken agreement between parties that the gamers will continue to buy the game as long as they feel that the company is putting forth the effort to try to improve it while also keeping pace with the advances in gaming technology - Konami has done neither with this release and in fact has taken several steps back (for the second year in a row).
They have not held up on their end of the 'gaming relationship' so for me (and many others) it's time to move on until they prove themselves in being able to win us back again.
It's almost charming in a way to hear the innocent dedication of 'boys' such as yourself who will stay with Konami no matter how they treat you, but experienced old-timers such as myself know when it's time to walk. ;)

How the hell can they release a game that is so out of date? Antonio Puerta died two months ago today yet he is still in the game. That is absolutely pathetic. I have loved PES since day one but I'm finished with it now. The last two versions have been budget games at best yet they are sold at full price. It is 2007, the gameplay (even that is crap now though) can't make a good game on it's own.

Lots of unhappy people, I'm sure this must filter back to the blockheads at Konami... I only hope for a LARGE patch and a new game next year, that feels like a new game for once that would make a refreshing change... and yes julien is.... :rolleyes:

If Konami produces another pathetic effort in 2009 then I think the series is finished, in my view, as any sort of attempt at a serious simulation that has real depth. But if you like PS2 graphics (and the horrible crowd), bad goalkeepers, defenders out of position all the time, pinball physics and speed, lack of editing options, not being able to select kits during league games and so on - well good luck to you ;) Oh and I really LOVE the slowdowns as well - it just makes it so immersive when half the time I'm thinking about when the next slow-mo moment will occur.

ive not encountered any slo-mo, tell me a better football game and ill buy it, dont say fifa cause thats not football, and bobo, konami arent treating me like anything, theyre there firstly to make money, which they do, although the game isnt up to some peoples expectations, its still the best game out there, i suggest you get sky or setanta if you want to see perfect football, its a video game for fucksake, 40.00 for a years worth of entertainment, lighten up

Are you really saying that all those PS3 players are making it up about slowdowns?

OK stephbhoy can I sell you a book or two (I know it's unlikely that you read anything more that the Beggar's View...but let's put that to one side ;) ) ...but the books will have misprinted pages, pages upside down, pages ripped out...and I want the full price please and moreover you should be thankful that I even lowered myself to sell you the books.

That is in effect what you are saying.

It happens for some people, it doesn't for others.

I know a guy off these forums who I've not witnessed lying before, and he says on two TVs in his house there's slowdown, and on one there's not.

I have absolutely no idea why this is, I can't even pretend to know. But it seems like it doesn't happen to everybody. And if you like the game and you get no slowdown, you're not really going to care about anybody else, are you?

Jack sure but really it is a disgrace that it happens at all isn't it? It's not like just one or two people have problems due to them having really odd TV's. I have a new Phillips HDTV; not quite a bit of kit from the Dark Ages...and I have had very few games with out some very obvious slowdown. But even if slowdown wasn't an issue there still remains a lot of negative issues with PES2008...I think that even really hardcore PES fans (and I am one) would admit that if they are being honest.

How the hell can they release a game that is so out of date? Antonio Puerta died two months ago today yet he is still in the game. That is absolutely pathetic. I have loved PES since day one but I'm finished with it now. The last two versions have been budget games at best yet they are sold at full price. It is 2007, the gameplay (even that is crap now though) can't make a good game on it's own.

Thats nothing Newcastle are Licenced and Beye is still at Marsaille with Solano still in the squad. FFS I can't even play as the team online as they are not available for selection and they were licenced this year...

I had a sig this time last year that said, please do not buy PES6, or you are ruining PES7 for us all.

I don't wish to brag, but...

Jack,

I think you (because your good an the analysis) timeline the PES releases putting down the things they took out to add back in at a later date along with the issues you have highlighted and others such as throw ins not changing etc etc and we can then all sign it and send it into Konami from all the PES Fan websites, it may not make 100% difference but if everyone on this forum and all the others just pointed out basics such as claims from Sea-ass that they are all developed on PC and then ported (if thats the case why PS3 and Xbox lack of editing!), then hopefully they will at least look at it.

I know its all about Money with big companies, but I work for one and the next thing is bad plublicity. If someone (I am crap at these things) can do something that points out the take away add back in sh1te we have had and the physics issues that this version had continued and then broadcast it at Pro-G, Max Console, PESFAN, WENB and many others Konami Europe would have to acknowledge it..

Are you really saying that all those PS3 players are making it up about slowdowns?

OK stephbhoy can I sell you a book or two (I know it's unlikely that you read anything more that the Beggar's View...but let's put that to one side ;) ) ...but the books will have misprinted pages, pages upside down, pages ripped out...and I want the full price please and moreover you should be thankful that I even lowered myself to sell you the books.

That is in effect what you are saying.

your talking through a whole in your arse mate, what the fuck has a book got to do with it? and who mentioned a ps3, i dont give a rats about ps3

a better way of describing it rather than books would be to use rangers for example, you could buy a season ticket, watch some half decent games but more often than not watch a pile of pish get humped by run of the mill SPL teams ;)

Jack,

I think you (because your good an the analysis) timeline the PES releases putting down the things they took out to add back in at a later date along with the issues you have highlighted and others such as throw ins not changing etc etc and we can then all sign it and send it into Konami from all the PES Fan websites, it may not make 100% difference but if everyone on this forum and all the others just pointed out basics such as claims from Sea-ass that they are all developed on PC and then ported (if thats the case why PS3 and Xbox lack of editing!), then hopefully they will at least look at it.

I know its all about Money with big companies, but I work for one and the next thing is bad plublicity. If someone (I am crap at these things) can do something that points out the take away add back in sh1te we have had and the physics issues that this version had continued and then broadcast it at Pro-G, Max Console, PESFAN, WENB and many others Konami Europe would have to acknowledge it..
If I start a "post your complaints with PES here" thread (which I will if it means collating all of the negatives people want fixed with PES as a whole), will it get deleted?

It may even be beseiged with the "go play FIFA you whingers" lot.

But I would be happy to, if there's any chance of it making a difference. I just wouldn't look forward to the stick.

a better way of describing it rather than books would be to use rangers for example, you could buy a season ticket, watch some half decent games but more often than not watch a pile of pish get humped by run of the mill SPL teams ;)
I like that actually, that's true. Once every 20 games the CPU cheats disappear and you think, what a wonderful game, then the next week it's back to normal.

I think PES2008 is complete and utter shite.

Live with it!

I enjoy PES2008 for the complete and utter shite that it is.

I agree, the game is utter shite.

Im a massive PES fan and this is defiantly Konami's worst release ever.

FIFA 08 is by far the better game.

Seabass told in an interview that they are still making games like 10 years ago on snes, they are about 10 people where for assasin creed there are like 1 hundred people.

10 game, 10 developer, and we played the same game for 10 years.
(Actually we6fe was better than the other 10, maybe they hired someone in outsourcing?)

I dont think they are lazy i think they just need more people.

i'd like to know what konami do with our's 60€ x year...(more if you, like me, used to buy even J.league and FE)

Anyway i have fifa now and its not that bad..

Nope, but just like me it is possible that the slowdown has disappeared after playing it for some hours, which is what happened to me...I don't have any slowdown in the game and only very very litle in the replays...
After the first 3 matches i had a poison headache and know i don't notice anything at all...i have a normal television...
And this "boy" who is playing the game for years thinks that apart from theobvious flaw, this is the best PES i've ever played and it is only getting better...

A 45 year old boy...

well the 360 version has slowdown, during replays and a crowded peno area,ive been on these for forums for years now, and i used to hate fifa, I used to be a pro evo editor on here but this game aint worth editing

Never seen so much negative feedback for a game in my 20 years of life. It's nothing short of criminal for Konami to release this unfinsihed, bug-ridden game.

To be honest, my excitement for this game slowly decreased as they released more and more info and images. Then they showed video's from Leipzig and I was not impressed.

Despite this, I still purchased the game for a whopping €60. I wish I didn't...

There has been so much removed from previous versions it's not even funny. Edit mode has been stripped of all it's goodness. For a game with not many licences, a decent Edit mode is vital, but Konami have thought otherwise.

Then there's the little things which have been stupidly removed. Play-again feature from training, 2v2 games online, (infact, the whole online system is ridiculous) the fun training modes which help new user get to grips with the game, the ability to select kits before a Master League game. That last one actually is laughable, Konami are obviously smarter than us and want to save us the trouble of having to pick a kit. We can forgive them if a match becomes unplayable due to similar kits.

Most reviews gave this game a good score because of the gameplay, and yes, it is great, at times. But at other times as Jack pointed out in his video, the stupid frustrating things just ruin the experience.

I will keep playing this game because the alternative, Fifa, is just bad, even though their team is actually trying, unlike Konami who remove features for no apparent reason.

Anyway, this post is getting long enough. My main point is the under no circumstances should this game have been released in it's current state. It's embarrassing as a PES fan and a PS3 owner, that this game has such horrible framerate issues while other games out soon will be truely next gen, GTA4, Assassins Creed, Grand Turismo to name a few. I would be happy to wait untill December to get a decent version of what could have been the best PES and football game ever made. Too bad Seabass is at the helm of operations. :-(

Last edited:
There has been so much removed from previous versions it's not even funny. Edit mode has been stripped of all it's goodness. For a game with not many licences, a decent Edit mode is vital, but Konami have thought otherwise.

Then there's the little things which have been stupidly removed. Play-again feature from training, 2v2 games online, (infact, the whole online system is ridiculous) the fun training modes which help new user get to grips with the game, the ability to select kits before a Master League game. That last one actually is laughable, Konami are obviously smarter than us and want to save us the trouble of having to pick a kit. We can forgive them if a match becomes unplayable due to similar kits.

This IS EXACTLY what I was talking about rather than focus on the opinions of each of us on the gameplay we need to capture the obvious facts than no-one can argue about on here make a list of them and have the whole community send it to Konami so that 2009 doesnt have the same fate, the problem with game play is somepeople will like the faster Speed and easier Dribble / score others wont so Konami can't win, however they cannot deny what they have taken out, I remember when you could chage shorts and socks etc We Must if we are not to be hear moaning again next year spend the next weeks pushing this at every level..

Six Reasons Why I Hate PES2008 - The Movie

All about CPU cheating. I've provided this as proof that the CPU cheats but I can never prove it 100% because I'd have to have one camera recording the buttons I press on the pad as well, so believe it or don't believe it. But I'm hoping four years on these boards - and the fact that I've been bothered to record all of this and post it before I take the game back - shows that I deserve some trust.

(Apologies for posting in more than one thread, but I think it's relevant to each one I've posted it in)

#6 - Never seen this happen, but doesn't look too good. But I usually never play vs CPU, so I dont care too much.
#5 - You press the pass-button WAY too early. This isn't FIFA. Passing has to be timed.
#4 - You're paranoid. I've seen lots of real football matches where the ball seems to always fall into the feet of one of the teams. This happens because of the way the players position themself. It's football. Get used to it.
#3 - Dont press pressure to run for the ball. Your player is positioning himself to do a tackle on the opponent. Run for the ball yourself. This is not a problem. Its you who play the game the wrong way.
#2 - Sure you didn't tap the run-button? I have never had this problem.
#1 - Thats just bullcrap. You didn't press in the right direction. That never happens if you do it the right way. NEVER!

I only see #6 as a problem. The other 5 is just you who isn't very good at the game.

23431896.jpg

Enjoy the game.

EDIT: Okay, I will actually respond, even though it doesn't deem a response as essentially you're calling me a liar on that last one.

I press straight up, I press pass (NOT through pass). There is no other player in-front of me on my right. Therefore, that guy straight above me can be the only guy I'm aiming towards, and the only guy I want to pass to. I don't use manual passing, I use the bog-standard automatic aiming system. This has happened for a long time, it's just more obvious in PES2008 (it alters your pass trajectory so that the computer can get back in the game - it's not technically cheating, it's how the game works - but rather than skewing it slightly, it skews it a bit more now, and so I noticed it immediately).

Believe it or not but I've read lots of people who agree and who know what I'm talking about. But don't call me a liar, because that's one thing I'm not.

And I can beat the game on top-player 3-0 every game, so it's not like I'm not good enough to beat it. I've had ten years of practice. And I would love to lose on it by fair means (I wouldn't play Football Manager and get relegated every season if I couldn't take losing, I wouldn't play FIFA 08 online if I couldn't take losing).

Last edited:
23431896.jpg

Enjoy the game.

EDIT: Okay, I will actually respond, even though it doesn't deem a response as essentially you're calling me a liar on that last one.

I press straight up, I press pass (NOT through pass). There is no other player in-front of me on my right. Therefore, that guy straight above me can be the only guy I'm aiming towards, and the only guy I want to pass to. I don't use manual passing, I use the bog-standard automatic aiming system. This has happened for a long time, it's just more obvious in PES2008 (it alters your pass trajectory so that the computer can get back in the game - it's not technically cheating, it's how the game works - but rather than skewing it slightly, it skews it a bit more now, and so I noticed it immediately).

Has this happaned for a long time? Sure it has NOT. Why isn't it happening to me?

Believe it or not but I've read lots of people who agree and who know what I'm talking about. But don't call me a liar, because that's one thing I'm not.

I don't call you a liar. I just say you are wrong.

And I can beat the game on top-player 3-0 every game, so it's not like I'm not good enough to beat it. I've had ten years of practice. And I would love to lose on it by fair means (I wouldn't play Football Manager and get relegated every season if I couldn't take losing, I wouldn't play FIFA 08 online if I couldn't take losing).

Playing vs CPU doesn't make you very good. Its easy to learn the CPUs behaviour. Playing football is just as much a mental game as a physical game, and playing vs CPU lacks that part...

Don't get me wrong, I lose online. I'm not great at the game versus other people, and I won't contest that. I used to be but not any more, I don't have the time to devote to it like I used to. But anyway, that's besides the point, when you play another human 9 outfield players are still being controlled by the CPU, and it still happens where the game tries to level things up and so your pass will go waaay off its intended route and straight to the opposition.

Bullcrap is defined as "not the truth" by the way, or at least it was the last time I heard it/said it, so that's why I said you were calling me a liar. :)

If you haven't noticed that stuff and you think I'm just "doing it wrong", despite ten years of practice against the CPU, then fine. But people have agreed with my points and said "they haven't changed any of that, still??" - so it is there, whether you notice it or not. You can say I'm crap at the game but in those instances, I'm only pressing tackle when I should.

What gets to me the most (not because of you, you can word your posts like a normal human being rather than saying "omfggggg lolz" so I have respect for you), is when you say "you shouldn't be pressing the pressure button there, you should be running towards the ball and only pressing pressure when you're right next to it". If I do that I can only run in straight lines because the game still uses 8-way directions, and so I'd only walk past the ball anyway. Pressure is supposed to home you in on the ball, which was the only reason why I was pressing it there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it just does what it does in the video.

The pressure button is pressure AND stab-tackle, as well. So I can't just press stab-tackle when I'm in a good position. I have to depend on the CPU deciding to stab-tackle at the right moment. Which, as the second video in my sig demonstrates, doesn't always happen.

All I want is more control and less of the crap.

I agreed with Jack. There's bugs in this PES2008. Some of vids that you shows me are correct some are not. For passing, try to use manual pass that what manual pass for. Also remember vid that you showed regarding miss passing. He tried to rush the pass which is the position and timing unbalance.

Well... I'm a big fans for winning eleven series. But PES2008 this time is the worst series ever.

There's another bugs as well which i notice quite annoying. When you go forward to goalie. let's say you dribble from half field into goalie without pressing any R1 or R2. The Com 1st defender try to chase us from behind instead of chase from side and tackle or steal the ball and the com 2nd defender which is exactly nearby my player doesn't try to approach my player to tackle the ball. 2nd defender just leave it my player alone dribble toward goalie.

Secondly, It seems very easy to counter attack on this series from left or right side opponents. Let's say the com try to attack from left side of me. I always find and very easily counter attack on the left hand side. It's like big empty space for me since i use formation 4-3-3 which never happened on the previous winning eleven series.

Well... I guess "stephbhoy" misleads all this conversation about.

Jack wanna tells us that FIFA08 has big improvement while PES2008 just doing minor improvement. That's why WE as PES2008 fans has to tell konami regarding this to make big improvement like FIFA2008.

Well I'm not FIFA fans here. I played both games. But I still prefer PES2008. If i have to choose PES2008, PES6 or FIFA2008?

First, I will say PES6(PC) then PES2008(X360) then FIFA2008.

PES2008 is already good in terms of gameplay. FIFA08 is good on presentation because EA has license.

That's all about it from me.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom