OFFICIAL WINNING ELEVEN 10 REVIEW thread [hands on we10+ingame pics and vids]

Re: WINNING ELEVEN 10 REVIEW[hands on we10+ingame pics and vids]

mazanga said:
Somebody posted this before but everytime the ball goes out of play i.e. over the line (including when u score) the game freezes for a split second. It messes up your whole shot, wether is goes in or goes wide. I can't believe Konami let this one slip through. Or is it a beta? I remember that the pes3 beta had the same problem.

Aaargh yes, it's back...the 'Whistle Stutter Bug' - happens not only when the ball crosses the goalline or goes into touch but also when a play goes offside or at the end of the half or the match - all these events have the ref blowing the whistle (different tone than a foul which it doesn't seem to occur on) and if you notice the freeze occurs right at that exact moment. Think it had something to do with that particular sound file in combination with the animation if I remember from last time - annoying as all get out & takes loads of enjoyment out of scoring...watching your strike from distance whistle past the keeper & then freeze in mid-air for a split sec before hitting the back of the net :(
Either those that ARE getting it have something in common or those that AREN'T getting it have something in common - without getting into hot water here, any thoughts on the whos, whats and/or whys??

Last edited:

I have played alot of matches now and want to share my pro's and con's. So here goes.

Pros
+ Much better control.
+ Much more fluid.
+ The best ref in a football game today.
+ You can't see, when the ref uses the advance rule.
+ Goalkeeper interacts with the bars.
+ One-hand saves.
+ The animations, I love passing the ball!
+ Difference with slower/faster players.
+ You are allowed to push more than before with the X-button.
+ The AI is great! Though I beated AthleticoMadrid 5-1 as Real Madrid on 5-stars.

Cons
- Maybe it's just me, but I liked the shots better in WE9, but I know I will get used to these.
- The 'Blowing Stutter' bug. It's bad, it ruins your shot really.
- The goal-keepers are weakened compared to WE9.
- There seems to be less player collision.
- The Through-Pass (L1+Triangle) is really good, but I liked it better in WE9.
- The pitches.
- The crowds makes better noise but nothing mind-blowing or good.
- The slide-tackling seems less useful.

Overall. Winning Eleven 10 is the greatest football game ever on the Playstation2 and it beats the hell out of the past WE titles. The game on the pitch is just fluid and the ref is spot-on, the control is perfect too!

Remember, this is just "first-impression" because I have only played it a day. So the cons about the slide-tackling and through pass I just have to get used to. Those aren't really cons either, I just preffered the ones in WE9.

:)

I am positive about the stutter and yes i play the game of HDD. But i first started playing it from DVD and i had the same problem. But i am glad to hear that some of you don't have that problem. This means there should be a way to solve the problem. Like Bobo21, I hope someone has suggestions on this.

I've spent 4 hours of 2 player gaming, and that are my impressions:

MOVEMENT:
- We have recovered freedom of movement. Something no one has commented is that Supercancel is sweet as silk again, as it was in pes4. At last!
- No auto.sidestep also helps regain freedom of movement.
- Very responsive controls. All in all, really good movement control, that's just brilliant. Reactions of the players are impressive. I even managed to save a bouncing ball of the sideline with puyol, something impossible in we9.

GAMEPLAY HAVING POSSESSION
- Attacking is flashy, smooth and rewarding. Lots of movements to do and attackigng possibilities.
- You have to really control passing and crossing. I didn't like the easy crosses of previous versions. It was too easy to just cross the ball to the head of an attacker regardless of the position and skill of the player that was crossing. Try to cross with thuram at full sprint and see where the ball goes.
- Shooting has been downgraded. I still don't know if i love it or not, but definitely don't hate it.
- Throw-ins are bad as usual.
- A lot of deflections and collisions that now seem more realistic. I love when there are crowded plays in the area and the ball just don't go straight to the feet of players. Also, I managed to score one goal thanks to a deflection in a very realistic way.
- High through passing is far better than before, and not as easy as in pes4. It's possible to use it in short spaces just to save the defenders and let your striker free to score, but you have to time it properly.
- Long passes are better, but you need some skill to put the ball where you want and do harm with them.
- Through passes are good, but I don't know if they are too easy to do. I play Barcelona and it seemed easy, but will try it with worst teams later.
- The gameplay is very fluid, players fall and stand up quickly, a lot of new animations that are good.
- The sense of pace and acceleration in the game is very good. You now really feel Ronaldinho changing pace and destroying Sergio Ramos's hip (it's almost as if I heard his bones cracking).

GOALIES
- Really the goalies don't parry most of the shots. I don't fin it irritating. It's just that in real life they parry less shots than in previous versions. If they were able to parry 80% of the shots in WE9, now they only parry 50%, and I think 65-70 would have been better. So, they're not perfect, but they weren't in WE9 and I prefer it as it is right now, it makes the game more fluid and realistic even if sometimes easy shots are not blocked. And now they have very good one-handed animations!

DEFFENSIVE GAMEPLAY
- Now the really bad thing by now. I don't know if it's just getting used to it (I guess it will be that) but defending seems very hard. In 2 player matches, I managed to crush my opponent 6-0, 7-2, 4-2 easily. It's a lot of goals and worst of all, it's nearly impossible to defend 1 vs 1 in front of a skillful player. I was with puyol standing just in front of del piero and pressin X and del piero just passed through. That tends to happen a lot. I managed to score maradona goals with messi dribbling all the juventus players in front of him. I'm just worried about it, it made the matches feel a bit like fifa. I mean, when you dribble an opponent, it's realistic, but a lot of times your striker just passes through defenders, even if they were in the right position and tackled you. In fact, I drove mad my opponent with messi and ronaldinho just passing through everybody.
- Pression is now more effective. In we9 if you pressed square your player would do a foul or just push, almost never gaining possession. Now you can move a defender to close the space and gain the ball with another with pression. That's the way it was meant to be from the beggining, so it's good.

REFEREE
- Veeeeeery good!!! A good step forward!

SOUND
- It has improved only a little, so not very very good. But I heard 2 things that I liked a lot. When I recovered a ball in defense, my spectators gave me an applause! I like it a lot, they were rewarding my deffensive effort! I had never heard this before. Plus, I missed a pass and they were like "oooooh". I liked it also. But there's passion lacking all the time.

OPTIONS
- They're in japanese!!!!

STATS
- As I played barcelona all the time, I must only reckon: Barcelona is great at last. Key players have been given key stats.
- Messi, the man I will marry, is really good (I would prefer him to be a woman, but nobody is perfect).

MUSIC
- The first thing we do in the game is switching music off, so... why do they bother to put it on?

FINAL CONCLUSION
- If I manage to learn how to defend properly, I'll take my hat off. Brilliant final game on the ps2. If only they had developed a little the ml...

That's my two (hundred) cents by now. Happy gaming!

Last edited:

@drekkard.. thanks for the review... what about this stutter bug thing?
Have you noticed any slowdown yourself?

The sutter thing.

It doesn't always happen. I played a few games on diff cameras in happens ocassionaly but not all the time.

It prolly depends on the teams and stadium and other factors.

As far as people saying they don't have that - BS. Same story as with WE7. Some people claimed not to have the famous "stutter bug" when it was obvious as hell to most of us and Seabass himself admited it was in.

Last edited:

How can it be BS, if I'd seen it I'd say so. But I haven't yet...played about 10 games and not seen anything like it, everything is as smooth as silk like always when I play off my hdd. Just because you have the problem doesn't mean everyone that doesn't is full of BS!

Drekkard thanks for taking some time and writing a very good review.

mattster12 said:
How can it be BS, if I'd seen it I'd say so. But I haven't yet...played about 10 games and not seen anything like it, everything is as smooth as silk like always when I play off my hdd. Just because you have the problem doesn't mean everyone that doesn't is full of BS!

consoles are not pc's. the game runs the same on every system.
im not sayini your lyin but i do not believe you dont have the same problem as everyone else. maybe your not noticing it.

there are no new leagues in, right? coz there've been some rumors about turkish, portuguese, and (i think) belgian league to be in the game.

ethem said:
there are no new leagues in, right? coz there've been some rumors about turkish, portuguese, and (i think) belgian league to be in the game.
No new leagues, definitely.

according to the barcelona vs milan in-game footage, this baby will still need tons of stats editing. Players still run at 200 km/h and the ball gets from one area to the oposite in 5 seconds.

mattster12 said:

Mattster, not doubting you may not have experienced stutter (for those that haven't, we're not talking about slowdown or how smoothly the game runs - it's an instantaneous split second 'freeze'), it might be helpful if you offered up info other than the fact you're playing off HDD, such as if you've played with a wide variety of teams in many different stadiums at different times of day & different weather. I believe this glitch was a combination of many factors and if you were to play with the same team in the same one or two stadiums it may be possible to not experience it.
Then again if others who are playing off a HDD also have not experienced it maybe that might hold the key - or maybe not, just that us poor sods who are getting it way more than not are just looking for something to grasp onto!

Bobo21 said:
Mattster, not doubting you may not have experienced stutter (for those that haven't, we're not talking about slowdown or how smoothly the game runs - it's an instantaneous split second 'freeze'), it might be helpful if you offered up info other than the fact you're playing off HDD, such as if you've played with a wide variety of teams in many different stadiums at different times of day & different weather. I believe this glitch was a combination of many factors and if you were to play with the same team in the same one or two stadiums it may be possible to not experience it.
Then again if others who are playing off a HDD also have not experienced it maybe that might hold the key - or maybe not, just that us poor sods who are getting it way more than not are just looking for something to grasp onto!

It definately happends with the HDD. I got mine on the HDD so I can confirm.

The thing is, to me, it happens ocassionaly. For example, I did not notice any stutterin, or mabye slight, in Bernabeu.

Can anyone confirm if Swap Magic 3.6 works with we10.

mazanga said:
Somebody posted this before but everytime the ball goes out of play i.e. over the line (including when u score) the game freezes for a split second. It messes up your whole shot, wether is goes in or goes wide. I can't believe Konami let this one slip through. Or is it a beta? I remember that the pes3 beta had the same problem.

Other than that, the gameplay is absolutely brilliant. Also, the refs are a delight. They let you keep on playing when they can and stop play when they must. And if you deserve a card, you will get a card. I love this game. High crosses in combination with R1 and R2 deserve a special mention, they are spot on. Also the both foot fake is very easy and effective. This is defo the ultimate WE10 on ps2. Well done Konami.

Crossing with R1 and R2? Would you care to disclose the details?

Thanks.

watched some movies people have put up. dribbling with the ball seems bit too easy. is that correct or not?

from the videos i seen 2 amazing changes/fixes - (1) major fix

1- REF'S PATIENCE\\:o/
2- Celebrations :applause:

james_chelliah said:
Crossing with R1 and R2? Would you care to disclose the details?

Thanks.

If u perform a high cross you can, right after you have pressed O, press R1 or R2.

If u press R2 this will result in a very lofty, and more slow cross with more height on it.

If you use R1 on the other hand, this will result in a faster cross with much less height on it. You know, like the kind of long crosses that Roberto Carlos and Ronald Koeman mastered.

This makes high crossing much more usefull and diverse. It's a bit of a shame that even mediocre player seem te be very skilled R1 crossers though.

There has always been a difference between high crossing in conjunction with R1 or R2 but now the difference is a LOT bigger.

Last edited:

kobashi said:
watched some movies people have put up. dribbling with the ball seems bit too easy. is that correct or not?

Right now it seems very easy. I think we will have to come to grips with the new way of defending first. Therefore we will probably have to wait a few weeks or months before we will be able to judge wether or not dribbling has become too effective.

I just applied the english patch. Has anybody already tried what happens if u select semi-fixed in your player settings?

So good to read peoples impressions and see the videos, all i wanna say is thanks lads n keep it comin always interesting to hear different opinions on what it is like. Seems were onto a winner which is good :)

Back
Top Bottom