Now F1 2011

Re: F1 2010

Times like these that I long for the days pre-Internet when everything was a bit more innocent!

F12010 is a great game and the feeling of racing on the track is one of the best I've experienced (fun wise, not hardcore sim physics wise), yet visit the code masters forum and it's full of threads of bugs.

Game has only been 'out' 48 hours and to me, it seems like most people are happier to sit and find bugs, then play the game?

This issue of the lap times not reflecting the actual on track action. It may be true, but it doesn't bother me at all at the end of the day. The game immerses you into the action and whilst in the middle of a race, who cares what lap times the ai are doing, you cannot see it anyway and only get the occasional message from your engineer about who is behind in front.

I'm too busy focussed on the driving to care. All I know is the ai are around me, it feels authentic and it feels 'real'.

People on that forum crying, uninstalling the game and never buying a cm product ever, EVER, EVER etc again.

This is the best f1 "game" (very important word, it's not life and death!!) since GP3 I'd say, why can't people just have a bit of fun with it, rather than pulling it to pieces?

The issue isn't simply that the AI lap times aren't accurate. It's to do with the integrity of the race, the integrity of the AI opponent. The AI drivers aren't out there racing to a defined level, they're reacting to you, speeding up/slowing down in reaction to what you do, to create "excitement". In other words, the "ability" of the AI varies during the race. Very crap indeed.

It's similar issue to the cpu god mode in FIFA and PES, where, when the cpu needs a goal, it just ups its own ability and plays stupidly fast and perfect football. Some people can look beyond it (or not even notice it), but for others, it's a game killer.

Yea i can look beyond that, it always feels like a 'race' and that will do for me.

And the end of the days, all games are 'fake' anyways and the CPU will always make decisions to make the game more exciting, otherwise it would be an ai that can make independent human like decisions... Like the terminator!

Wish I'd not read this thread now, noticing all these little "bugs" now.

Was perfectly happy in my ignorance :D

Loving how ppl are complaining about the times being fake which could easily be ppl not understanding how timing works in racing.
But either way if you pass the cars in front you will win if you dont you lose.

Was planning on picking this up along with FIFA on Thursday but having read about some of the bugs I think I'll wait either until they've patched the game or the price has dropped.

That fake AI thing is ridiculous, why would they even make it like that?! :CONFUSE: So AI "opponent" cars are only there to act as roadblocks, and traffic doesn't affect them at all in qualifying?

Codemasters are shit.
All of their games I've played in recent history have (imo) absolutely sucked;

Their snooker games (2003, 2004, 2005)
Club Football 2005
BLIC 2005
BLIC 2007 (especially)
Ashes Cricket 2009
International Cricket 2010
GRID (very strange handling)

Not played the F1 game, but by the looks of it, it can be added to the list...

Codies used to be pretty good, having quality games out - I remember Pete Sampras Tennis on the MegaDrive, and Brian Lara Cricket 99 and TOCA 2 on the PS1... Very good games.
Now they're just awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Im enjoying this game as are most of my mates

Once you get used to your car and track in the practice its pretty satisfy flying around the track

The qualifier and race are very tense as well, knowing if you make 1 slip up on lap while qualify your time has gone and if you do that in the race you will drop places (and probably wont be able to claw back into the top 3) so you have to be in the "Zone" when playing this

After reading about these bugs though i cant say i have noticed anything but hopefully a patch will fix them anyway

That fake AI thing is ridiculous, why would they even make it like that?! :CONFUSE: So AI "opponent" cars are only there to act as roadblocks, and traffic doesn't affect them at all in qualifying?

Codemasters are shit.
All of their games I've played in recent history have (imo) absolutely sucked;

Their snooker games (2003, 2004, 2005)
Club Football 2005
BLIC 2005
BLIC 2007 (especially)
Ashes Cricket 2009
International Cricket 2010
GRID (very strange handling)

Not played the F1 game, but by the looks of it, it can be added to the list...

Codies used to be pretty good, having quality games out - I remember Pete Sampras Tennis on the MegaDrive, and Brian Lara Cricket 99 and TOCA 2 on the PS1... Very good games.
Now they're just awful.

True. Dont forget the overhyped mess that was Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising. It had appalling team mate AI.

I was just thinking about this "bug" with the 3rd place guy lapping quicker than the 1st on the opening lap, well I would think that your lap time is clocked from when you cross the line till when you next cross the line, you start behind the line, so if the 3rd place guy started in 10th he crosses the line at the start of the race after the guy on pole so he also starts his lap time after, it is therefore perfectly reasonable that he could have a faster lap and still be behind. No?

I was just thinking about this "bug" with the 3rd place guy lapping quicker than the 1st on the opening lap, well I would think that your lap time is clocked from when you cross the line till when you next cross the line, you start behind the line, so if the 3rd place guy started in 10th he crosses the line at the start of the race after the guy on pole so he also starts his lap time after, it is therefore perfectly reasonable that he could have a faster lap and still be behind. No?

Yes, thats exactly it...

At the start, the guy in 1st will 'start' the lap about 3-4 seconds before the guy in 24th.

People are overlooking it on the CM forum for the sake of having a cry.

Any chance for an evo-web PC LAN round? It's so disappointing to play
online with those kiddies which are only try crash in each other.

Yes, thats exactly it...

At the start, the guy in 1st will 'start' the lap about 3-4 seconds before the guy in 24th.

People are overlooking it on the CM forum for the sake of having a cry.
There's more than enough proof in the rest of that thread that this bug exists, in fact it's more of a design flaw than a bug...

The games great fun.
The ppl who are complaining don't have the game and haven't tried and are making themselves feel better by making there minds up the game sucks.

I would love to see someone say PES 2011 is crap and in the same sentence say they hadn't played it on the PES forums lol.

if you haven't played it don't judge, it just like you would expect from your beloved PES game.

The games great fun.
The ppl who are complaining don't have the game and haven't tried and are making themselves feel better by making there minds up the game sucks.

I would love to see someone say PES 2011 is crap and in the same sentence say they hadn't played it on the PES forums lol.

if you haven't played it don't judge, it just like you would expect from your beloved PES game.

Speaking for myself, and probably for some others, judging by their comments, it's about having doubts about buying the game in the first place, because it's by Codemasters. The flaws that are being reported aren't making me think "that doesn't sound like Codemasters"....more like "yep, that sounds just like Codemasters".

I've played enough shockers by Codemasters in the past years to be very wary of buying their stuff. They do loads of things well in their racing games, but there are always, always game breaking flaws.

It comes as no surprise to me to see Rob92 talking about their last decent racer being TOCA2 in 1998. That is also my last choice of their last good one (and it was a real good one for it's time - I played it to death). I've seen that same comment aboout TOCA2 countless times over the years. They changed their philosophy after that game, and every one since has been a turkey, with crap handling and crap AI.

This F1 certainly got me interested (partly because the real F1 season this year is a cracker) but the videos looked like they'd done a fine job.

I'm still hoping they patch it and at least tone down the scale of the AI flaws as I still want to give it a spin. But not as things stand, as I know I'll crank it up and within a few minutes have that all to familiar feeling of "fuck, why did I buy another Codemsaters racer? Will I never learn?".

Speaking for myself, and probably for some others, judging by their comments, it's about having doubts about buying the game in the first place, because it's by Codemasters. The flaws that are being reported aren't making me think "that doesn't sound like Codemasters"....more like "yep, that sounds just like Codemasters".

I've played enough shockers by Codemasters in the past years to be very wary of buying their stuff. They do loads of things well in their racing games, but there are always, always game breaking flaws.

It comes as no surprise to me to see Rob92 talking about their last decent racer being TOCA2 in 1998. That is also my last choice of their last good one (and it was a real good one for it's time - I played it to death). I've seen that same comment aboout TOCA2 countless times over the years. They changed their philosophy after that game, and every one since has been a turkey, with crap handling and crap AI.

This F1 certainly got me interested (partly because the real F1 season this year is a cracker) but the videos looked like they'd done a fine job.

I'm still hoping they patch it and at least tone down the scale of the AI flaws as I still want to give it a spin. But not as things stand, as I know I'll crank it up and within a few minutes have that all to familiar feeling of "fuck, why did I buy another Codemsaters racer? Will I never learn?".

Got to be worth a rental? Once you actually play it, you might enjoy it?

Got to be worth a rental? Once you actually play it, you might enjoy it?

I think I possibly would, unless the handling is really off, but that doesn't seem to be a prominent complaint.

The fact I'm still monitoring the situation tells me that I've not given up hope.

They have confirmed that there will be a patch, but are still at the investigation stage in terms of what that patch will contain.

If true, good to see they've reacted so quickly, although it does suggest an admission that the flaws are real and need addressing.

Anyway, if they can sort it so the AI isn't obviously a mess and the races seem fair (eg. the AI sometimes not doing compulsory pit stops, or the apparently obvious rubber banding at pit stops - alothugh I'm less hopeful about this one), then I'll do my best to avoid their forum with people picking holes in everything and I'm sure there's fun to be had.

The games great fun.

Great logic there. You could also say that those who bought the game are refusing to accept that the game has major problems so they can think to themselves that it wasn't a waste of £40.

If your having fun then great. Good for you. But to dismiss these bugs as irrelevant is completely nonsensical. Some people would like to purchase a full price title without there being lots of bugs and glitches and the need for patches. A certain level of quality should be expected.

Got this game via a trade-in yesterday and I'm pleasantly surprised. Haven't seen the bugs mentioned in this topic yet but surely will after more time playing.

Went straight onto career mode, love the presentation, soundtrack is nice and race visuals really pleasing on the eye. Signed for Lotus and found that Normal difficulty was a little easy, I was qualifying 3rd on my first race, I don't want that on my debut. Moved up a level but turned traction control back on for my 1st season. Qualified 13th at Bahrain which I thought was more realistic, finished 13th in the race.

Loved the press calling my name, shame I couldn't punch them. Went onto Melbourne and I know that track much better but the rain was pissing down all weekend. Qualified 11th but finished 12th after Trulli spun me off on the last lap, so I won't be lovey dovey in the press room any more.

Overall, I'm liking this a lot and actually gave the PES demo a night off...

Good to hear Proxi - I'm at Lotus too.

Glad you have found a realistic level too, too many people out qualifying the field in Lotus/HRTs etc which is a shame, but some debate at the moment about how much easier the game is with Tyre and Fuel Sim turned off - apparently gives you insane levels of grip.

I was really struggling at Catalunya with both sim modes on and it explains it a little now. Just had massive understeer all the time - apparently turning sim mode off does away with that, so I'm avoiding doing that.

In Oz, I qualified 17th and finished 15th IIRC which I was well pleased with (pro diff, sim mode on, all aids off except auto gears and suggested braking in corners).

Great game :)

It's a really fun game, even the missus took a shine to it and she hates Formula One.

Racing on intermediate was indeed easy as the tyre & fuel sim modes are off by default. Too arcadey for my liking and I'm still wondering whether I need to switch traction control off already, I only seen to lose control in wet conditions occasionally and if someone shunts me.

Looking forward to Kuala Lumpur tonight. The pace of doing one or two race weekends every night I've time for the PS3 already feels great, and I only got it yesterday.

On a side note, with fries, Codemasters have announced a patch is definitely coming for the faults, but don't expect it soon. Link.

Just had such a great race in Budapest with my Lotus.

In practice I was pushing hard trying to find the right setup, but it wasn't working well. In fact I was trying so hard I forgot to come in for fuel, so I ended up empty, which led to me accidentally hold up 2 cars on the straight and getting a 10 place grid penalty.

Qualifying was always going to be difficult now and I'd have to push real hard to meet my objective of a 15th place grid position. In Q1, I was struggling to get a decent lap in. Sector 1 & 3 times were good, but I was hemorrhaging time in sector 2. I still scraped through to Q2, but a change of setup was needed perhaps. Early Q2 times were poor and I wasn't going to qualify for Q1 unless something changed, so I had to be braver on the chicane in Q2. I span a couple times and was running out of time, I had 1 more lap, this time I got through the chicane safely and somehow ended Q2 in 9th. (I cheered out loud at this point). Q1 was much the same, continued to be braver in sector 2 where I was slowest and gradually got my times up, ending qualifying in 5th.

During the race I'd obviously have to sit 10 places back thanks to my penalty in practice, but 15th was my objective anyway, so I was pleased. It was raining lightly and the entire field looked to be on intermediates, including me. The race began and I was battling between the cars from my 15th to 13th, but couldn't match the pace of cars further ahead. So early into the race, with the rain not stopping and grip not optimal, I decided to hit the pits and go for wets. At this point, I was the only car to pit and the entire field passed me by, maybe I'd made a terrible mistake.

Out lap felt good, but I couldn't judge the times due to the pit stop, 2nd lap on the wets was looking good, all the sectors were fast and the engineer on the radio tells me I've just done the fastest lap of the race. I quickly catch up to the back markers and start carving my way through the field and hoping other cars would make pit stops later in the race. They did pit, lap by lap more and more cars would pit and I'd moved back up to 10th place. At this point the rain was getting heavier and the cars on intermediates were really struggling, this meant I could pass 4 cars up to 6th place, where I'd meet the big boys.

6th place was good, I'd be happy with that, but the rain became worse yet and their cars were really struggling, they had to pit for wets. During the penultimate lap they all pit for new tyres and I now led the race! At this point my tyres were in bad condition, the back 2 were red, but with only 1 lap left and a comfortable lead, I eased the car home for a Lotus win in Hungary.

Damn it felt good. :BOP:

I love the Bahrain circuit, I can absolutely bomb it round there :D

By the way, don't you think its mega unrealistic the whole collision thing? has anyone actually seen any AI cars crash into each other yet or any big crashes? I've not seen one :E

Back
Top Bottom