Now F1 2011

Kenny G

Stuck in the 80's
1 January 2003
Bangkok, TH
Southend United, PORT FC
I know the initial announcement of this game was met with scepticism due to Codies more arcadey approach but I just saw the 2 minute clip on IGN and it looks like Anthony Davidson has been involved in the process so fingers crossed.

Its out in September on 360, PS3 and PC (should be some modding potential there!).

Re: F1 2010

If this game is even half decent it's goodbye PES/FIFA any football for me.

I think i love F1 more than i do football and i will most likely get comepltly lost in this game. :)

Shame that last time i actually played an F1 game properly was F1 2003, good game but some of the physics and ai cheating bugged me a bit :)

I know the initial announcement of this game was met with scepticism due to Codies more arcadey approach but I just saw the 2 minute clip on IGN and it looks like Anthony Davidson has been involved in the process so fingers crossed.

Its out in September on 360, PS3 and PC (should be some modding potential there!).

WTF?????????? Why is it not out till September? Surely mid season release is really fooking daft.

Here is the press release that Codies released yesterday, it confirms that it will have 2010 teams and drivers:

A new generation of FORMULA ONE games will come to high definition consoles and PC later this year as Codemasters today announced that F1 2010 will be released this September for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system and PC.

As the official game of the 2010 FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP™, F1 2010 will include all of the official teams, drivers and circuits from the coming season. F1 2010 will feature the return of seven times FORMULA 1 Drivers’ World Champion Michael Schumacher, the introduction of several new teams, and the brand new Korean International Circuit that will host the 2010 FORMULA 1 KOREAN GRAND PRIX.

The September launch will see F1 2010 become the first official FORMULA ONE game to appear for Xbox 360 and marks the return of FORMULA ONE to PC after an eight year absence. The arrival of the HD editions of FORMULA ONE follows Codemasters’ extremely successful launch of F1 2009 for Wii and PSP, which became a top five best seller throughout the past holiday period.

In F1 2010 gamers will take on the full, expanded grid in a variety of game modes including GRAND PRIX, Championship, Time Trial and an extensive, innovative Career mode. F1 2010 will also feature a highly advanced damage model, fully dynamic weather system and extensive competitive multiplayer options.

In production at Codemasters Studios Birmingham, F1 2010 is being developed using the EGO Game Technology Platform, Codemasters’ proprietary tech that powered the critically acclaimed, million-plus selling Colin McRae: DiRT 2 and Race Driver: GRID. The award-winning technology has been further developed to accurately recreate the unique aerodynamics and handling of 200MPH+ FORMULA ONE cars. The tech combined with Codemasters’ unprecedented access to FORMULA ONE teams and drivers will ensure that F1 2010 delivers the most authentic FORMULA ONE racing experience yet. F1 2010 will be released September 2010 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

I want to like this but having no safety car, formation lap and having watched that video no official FOM on screen graphics, I'm wondering what other official F1 things they'll leave out of this official game.

Release date sucks too, might as well hold it till 2011.

Needs a LOT of polishing from that vid...

* No official onscreen timing or overlays
* catching up cars too easily (hate this :()
* damage model looked awful
* not out until the season is nearly over?! WTF!

With 6 months development to go, you would think they would iron these out, but its amazing that no racing game has come close (IMO) to touching GP3 on the PC and this looks like that will continue.

has this been confirmed?, i'd love to see the safety car and a formation lap it would add alot to the authenticity

• Laser Scanned Track Data – Considered early on in the project we assessed for our needs and decided against its inclusion in favour of other features. Our track creation pipeline has been further developed and we’re now capable of producing extremely authentic environments, track surfaces included, without the need for this data.

• Safety Car – A common forum request but investigation proved, surprisingly, that this actually offers very little in terms of enjoyable game experience in comparison to other game elements we’ll reveal later. Once you find out what we spent the time on instead we’re sure you’ll agree that this was the right decision!

• Formation Lap – Currently not part of the plan, for the same reasons as safety car. This is not to say we won’t look to add a little of what the formation lap provides!

• A Feeder Series – We’re at full-stretch creating an engaging Formula One experience. Including a feeder series is not part of the deal we have and code support alone would take too much away from the main game to prove worthwhile in 2010.

• Split Screen – Some of you will have noticed this is not present in any recent Codemasters racing titles. Early on we established the huge amount of resources this feature would consume and, after weighing against our need to move the series in an original direction, made the tough decision that F1 2010 would not be the project to return Split Screen. We have included an interesting local multiplayer mode in its place and an extensive online multiplayer mode.
Link

Biggest thing for me that these devs get wrong, is that the driving is so smooth.

They should watch (which I'm sure they do) onboard vids and the cars bounce all around the place (within reason) and things like the wing mirrors shake and the aerial shakes etc.

The car looks totally independent of the track - like its floating above it.

Trouble is, its one of the things that I cannot help but notice now in driving games and it completely ruins it for me.

Hope they tweak it up, but at the moment, not wowing me at all.

Needs a LOT of polishing from that vid...

* No official onscreen timing or overlays
* catching up cars too easily (hate this :()
* damage model looked awful
* not out until the season is nearly over?! WTF!

With 6 months development to go, you would think they would iron these out, but its amazing that no racing game has come close (IMO) to touching GP3 on the PC and this looks like that will continue.

You mean Grand Prix 4?

It's clearly the arcade mode from that video. 3 laps? cutting the track? This is common place for mst F1 games to have that in arcade mode (brings back memories of Formula 1 onthe PSX :) :) :)

The arcade mode is essential even if it's very dubbed down in F1 games and has a rather short lifespan but for people who have no idea what f1 is about or just can't be arsed to drive it's great fun.

Also the BEST F1 Games have always come out later in the year, the earlier released ones always had difficaulty in reproducing proper team performaces which really bugged me amung other errors.

Biggest thing for me that these devs get wrong, is that the driving is so smooth.

They should watch (which I'm sure they do) onboard vids and the cars bounce all around the place (within reason) and things like the wing mirrors shake and the aerial shakes etc.

The car looks totally independent of the track - like its floating above it.

Trouble is, its one of the things that I cannot help but notice now in driving games and it completely ruins it for me.

Hope they tweak it up, but at the moment, not wowing me at all.

Dosen't wow me either but we haven't seen the simulation gameplay yet :)

Last edited:

You mean Grand Prix 4?

Nope! Definately GP3! I was part of the modding community at the time and it was an awesome time in PC racing. GP4 didnt 'feel' as good IMO

It's clearly the arcade mode from that video. 3 laps? cutting the track? This is common place for mst F1 games to have that in arcade mode (brings back memories of Formula 1 onthe PSX :) :)

Dosen't wow me either but we haven't seen the simulation gameplay yet :)

We dont 100% know that, but I assume you are correct

Nope! Definately GP3! I was part of the modding community at the time and it was an awesome time in PC racing. GP4 didnt 'feel' as good IMO

We dont 100% know that, but I assume you are correct

I played GP3 and i modded it just a tad. Was a very nice game to play but man, it's really old lol.

What happeend to microprose anyway?

of course it can not be out until the season is nearly over as the cars change from race to race (liveries and aerodynamics), even though this surely will not be included. also to simulate an accurate season you need to know how strong the different teams are so you have to at least wait half a season to figure that out.

having said that a release even a few months after the season would be better, but won't happen. and it will be fucked up anyways. bring on rFactor 2 and F1 2010 mods. ;)

While I understand there is a desire for it to be accurate, take last years real life F1, start of the season the Brawn's were untouchable, and they built up such a point lead that by the time the other teams caught them up the season was over, every single team starts the year with a car that is almost totally different come season end.

Just think that September is very late for the game to be released, the summer is surely the F1's season peak. A June release should of been looked at when alot of races are taking place in Europe which is probably still the biggest TV audience. I remember last year after the season started the current PS3 F1 game's value/price when pretty high on forums and ebay etc, cause THAT was the only current gen F1 game.

Also considering that Codies managed to get a Wii and PSP game out last year, and still they are waiting to Sept to release F1 2010 on the PS3/X360 really smirks of struggling to get to terms with the tech. Which surely cant be true, I reckon they will be using the EGO engine which has been derived from the original engine used in the Colin McRae Dirt, then GRID and last September Dirt 2 nevermind Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising.

Feel it's abit of a shame really that they cant manage to get it out earlier.

Last edited:

While I understand there is a desire for it to be accurate, take last years real life F1, start of the season the Brawn's were untouchable, and they built up such a point lead that by the time the other teams caught them up the season was over, every single team starts the year with a car that is almost totally different come season end.

Just think that September is very late for the game to be released, the summer is surely the F1's season peak. A June release should of been looked at when alot of races are taking place in Europe which is probably still the biggest TV audience. I remember last year after the season started the current PS3 F1 game's value/price when pretty high on forums and ebay etc, cause THAT was the only current gen F1 game.

Also considering that Codies managed to get a Wii and PSP game out last year, and still they are waiting to Sept to release F1 2010 on the PS3/X360 really smirks of struggling to get to terms with the tech. Which surely cant be true, I reckon they will be using the EGO engine which has been derived from the original engine used in the Colin McRae Dirt, then GRID and last September Dirt 2 nevermind Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising.

Feel it's abit of a shame really that they cant manage to get it out earlier.

It's not, it's actually fine :) MOST F1 games throughout history have ALWAYS been released near the end or even after the current season and those are usual the best F1 games :)

Again a lot of it is due to getting the performace values right plus getting acurrate results depending on 2010 race conditions, it's not like football where where the rules don't change drastically from season to season :)

The FIA have had this policly of 'moving the goaloasts' which was put in place after the 2002 season (the most boring and dominat season ever in F1 :( where ferrari won practically every race)

i've got a mate who works for codies and i spoke to him this weekend about the game.

his view is that the driving with none of the assists on is very difficult (which it should be) and isn't right yet, but he reckons the graphics are looking pretty good, especially in the wet.

the worrying thing is he reckons that they aren't going to get the handling of the cars right especially at high speeds, he doesn't have any faith in the people responsible for that side of the game, he is a little annoyed though cause he wanted to be part of the team that do the handling lol.

if any of you want me to ask him anything i'll try and get the answers for you.

i've got a mate who works for codies and i spoke to him this weekend about the game.

the worrying thing is he reckons that they aren't going to get the handling of the cars right especially at high speeds, he doesn't have any faith in the people responsible for that side of the game, he is a little annoyed though cause he wanted to be part of the team that do the handling lol.

:SHOCK: Hahaha...

I'm just miffed there are no full grid racing games with split screens anymore, used to love having a bash with mates round, I'd gladly give up the reflections on the cars to be able to have a full grid race and the chance to cut your mate up into the first corner...

If you do get split screens these days there just head to head races which are boring as hell...

the last one i can think that had split screen and a full grid was PGR3, i used to really enjoy that game, online multiplayer was awsome too

Back
Top Bottom