Now F1 2011

Re: F1 2010

I'm just miffed there are no full grid racing games with split screens anymore, used to love having a bash with mates round, I'd gladly give up the reflections on the cars to be able to have a full grid race and the chance to cut your mate up into the first corner...

If you do get split screens these days there just head to head races which are boring as hell...

Agreed. I think Toca Race Driver on PS2 was perhaps the last great racing game i played and it had a 4 player split screen.

I remember drunken nights where me and a mate would bump my other pal on purpose spinning him off just to watch him explode in rage!1

That was racing the mini coopers. Ahhhhhhh much fun in them days:))

I also remember touring cars on PSX where if you put in quick lap after quick lap and caught the leader(cpu) you could force him into a error or if pressure enough he'd spin off!! Why can't these facters be added into "next gen" games?

Last edited:

Agreed. Proper split-screen racing games with mates is the best fun you can have on video games imo :).

Split-screen racing, damn just reminded me of nights playing Destruction Derby on the PSX, I want a next-gen (Current-gen before anyone gets fussy) version!

I can't wait to play it but there are not only positive things to say,
these are the points which annoy me :(

- No Safety-Car
- No Formation Lap
- No early starts
- No track marshals
- No Red Flag
- You can't steer the car in the box
- You can't start the race from the box
- Online there is only 1 Qualification Session
- Only 12 players online (no realistic full races)
- No split-screen
- No real TV style
- No boxboards
- Total loss not possible
- Engine damage only for KI-drivers
- No victory ceremony
- They said modding is not possible (also on PC)

Wow, that sucks if all of it is true... Won't be pre-ordering now, will wait for some reviews/a demo.

Hopefully they'll be able to add these details in F1 2011 at least, now the foundation is in place.

Will mostly play the career mode offline, so the online issues don't bother me too much, though I'll still give it a go.

Seems strange there is no safety car at least, plays such a huge part in races, especially considering the work they've done on the weather.

Yeah I suppose it is the first in the series, which is never normally brilliant anyway but now they have all of the circuits done (except India, which will host it's first race in 2011) they should be able to, as you say, focus on those things for future versions.

Are there any good split-screen racers for the 360? Forza is a bit too difficult for beginners (as well as being pretty boring with no sense of speed) and I don't think my other racing games (PGR4 and GRID) have split-screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wasn't PGR3 split screen? Only 2 player split screen though I think.

I can't wait to play it but there are not only positive things to say,
these are the points which annoy me :(

- No Safety-Car
- No Formation Lap
- No early starts
- No track marshals
- No Red Flag
- You can't steer the car in the box
- You can't start the race from the box
- Online there is only 1 Qualification Session
- Only 12 players online (no realistic full races)
- No split-screen
- No real TV style
- No boxboards
- Total loss not possible
- Engine damage only for KI-drivers
- No victory ceremony
- They said modding is not possible (also on PC)

What i don't get is why people are so worked up about these things missing.

Let's all remember this is Codemasters 1ST EVER F1 game. Let's get a solid working base then add these things. Some of those things maybe considered as essential but i would put things with dynamic weather AI (track rubbing in etc..) Realistic car behaviors physics/damage as a higher priority. Whats the point putting all of the above in if the gameplay is shit?

What i don't get is why people are so worked up about these things missing.

Let's all remember this is Codemasters 1ST EVER F1 game. Let's get a solid working base then add these things. Some of those things maybe considered as essential but i would put things with dynamic weather AI (track rubbing in etc..) Realistic car behaviors physics/damage as a higher priority. Whats the point putting all of the above in if the gameplay is shit?
Come on it's not to hard to add engine damage to the player car
if it is already for the KI drivers avaible but why the hell
no total loss? This is so fucking unrealistic if I can finish
all the races without getting out in any race of the season :CONFUSE:
Why no Formation lap? They tell us it's a simulation but then you
don't need to warm your tires and just start the race, so unrealistic.
Or for example only 1 qualification session online, what is so hard about it
if it is avaible offline.
And no safety car really sucks, they made the fantastic weather system
but it can't be important to change your strategy then and so on.
It's not hard to have a safety car, even old F1 games include it and rfactor, too.

I will just buy it because of the career mode but actually I was much
more excited before reading this.
Still will play rfactor with F1 mod for real online races.

Most people would turn this off, because most people don't like being eliminated by something out of their control. Therefore it becomes less of a priority for the devs.

Why no Formation lap? They tell us it's a simulation but then you don't need to warm your tires and just start the race, so unrealistic.
Most people would turn this off because they want to get straight to the race. Like skipping the pre-match intro sequence on PES/FIFA.

Or for example only 1 qualification session online, what is so hard about it if it is avaible offline.
The point of the 3 qualifying sessions is to whittle the field down from 24 to 10. Having drivers eliminated in the first/second session would mean that those people would have to sit and watch the others qualify, and most people won't want to do that.

And no safety car really sucks, they made the fantastic weather system but it can't be important to change your strategy then and so on. It's not hard to have a safety car, even old F1 games include it and rfactor, too.
I think you underestimate what a large amount of work it is. Like klashman said, this their first F1 game. There's only so much you can cram into <2 years of development. You'll see a safety car in 2012/13, I'd guess.

Also, like most people play matches of 5, 6, 7 minutes in PES/FIFA, I suspect most people will choose races of 10%/20% length. A safety car out for 1 or 2 laps takes up a big chunk of that short race length. Then there's the myriad of rules that come with the safety car, all of which have to be simulated and communicated to the player.

I can just imagine the average gamer having to cope with NOT overtaking and NOT damaging his opponents on the formation lap or safety car lap! Similarly, can you imagine what it would be like if people could free steer their way into the pit box? They'd have to cope for the griefers who want to go ploughing through the engineers and into the garages etc, and all the things that that entails.

Then you're a sim racer. I think we need to appreciate that Codemasters are not building a hardcore sim, they are trying to appeal to all types, particularly since this is just the starting point of the franchise and have to spend their time on the things that will bring the most impact. You might see this other stuff in future versions.

Last edited:

if it is already for the KI drivers avaible but why the hell
no total loss? This is so fucking unrealistic if I can finish
all the races without getting out in any race of the season :CONFUSE:

I know nerf backed up my point but i need to set the record straight.

I did not like your reply one bit, u need to get a grip on reality imo! I not bothered about not having engine failures, like i said this is a game aimed at all consumers from arcade players who just want fun, to sim players. Yes it falls JUST out of the range of.

'Nothing better to do in your life but play games in ultra, everything must be 100 realistic even if it's a fucking game and were still in a era where not everything is 100 perfect'.

Getting to the point after the little rant, there will be achievements for this game, like with every game released on consoled, what if one achievement was to finish 1st in every race with more than say 50% distance in a season? How long do think gamers will have to sit there if every 4-5 races even if winning comfortably your engine blows up for no reason? Starting all over again?

I'm going to say this a lot but this really isn't a priority for a 2st release. The main thing is to get the gameplay right!

Why no Formation lap? They tell us it's a simulation but then you
don't need to warm your tires and just start the race, so unrealistic.

They had this in F1 06 on the PS2, it was imo actually pointless! since you would basically always take the same amount of time to warm up no matter how hard you worked them, i really makes little difference and online, fuck that, i just want to race! Again, low priority, why waste time on this which could hamper other more critical areas?

Or for example only 1 qualification session online, what is so hard about it

Now this beggars belief! Online, do you really expect people to hang around for more than HALF AN HOUR waiting to start last in a GP because they were knocked out in the qualifying? Qualifying takes just over an hour, it's pretty exciting but nobody in their right mind will want to sit through long sessions like that!

Again, codemasters are aiming to be efficient, let's just get the servers to be consistent and get people racing, It's beer to put basic systems in, get them going then build on it!

And no safety car really sucks, they made the fantastic weather system
but it can't be important to change your strategy then and so on.
It's not hard to have a safety car, even old F1 games include it and rfactor, too.

I wanted it in too but again, I'm really not too bothered since it's not something which is basic and essential. Only ONE F1 GAME HAS EVER HAD IT! That's was F1 1999, and tbh it was pretty poorly implemented. Yes, you got disqualified for hitting the safety car or overtaking anyone! Also it was very fast for some reason.

Like Nerf said, there are an horde or rules which need to be implemented for it to work! Like we have seen this season there are many rules and which could not only cause confusion but there could be bugs and huge exploits coming from this. Also online it's unworkable totally. We would never get a race going since there will always be idiots who cant drive and will crash every lap!

Maybe next year we will see it but i can't wait, i just want a balanced F1 game that's enjoyable online!

So basically I'm just complete surprised you haven't comprehended that starting a F1 game from pretty much scratch 2 years ago! You expect all this stuff to be in and your hating on codemasters for that?

rfactor is a good simulation, but all ISI really did was build a nice physics engine but made it 100% mod adaptable so all the saftey car stuff etc.. came in after! Also the game is built for hardcore sim players only, not for every type of racing fan! ISI is an independent company which only work for a certain filed of consumers (Ultra hardcore and some people with nothing better to do!)

Get a grip. I'm just happy were getting another F1 game for the first time in over 3 years!

I will just buy it because of the career mode but actually I was much
more excited before reading this.

Is there anywhere i can buy this game for cheap (under 5 pounds) and i can't be arsed with all that online stuff since all i hear from these sim races is you need a wheel! Can't use any assists ( i use auto gears/clutch since i use Xbox 360 controller but i turn most assists off anyway :) ) No way I'm wasting money on a wheel!

Very impressed with the cataluya video, it's on expert mode with no assists, this game is hard it seems :)

Looking forward to it! A must buy for me a F1 madman :)

first time ever i got that strange itchy feeling about an f1 game since i played f1 97 on the psx

wow that's a long time ago. but the game was awesome. spent weeks with it...this could be just as much fun

Back
Top Bottom