Now F1 2011

Re: Re: F1 2010

By the way, don't you think its mega unrealistic the whole collision thing? has anyone actually seen any AI cars crash into each other yet or any big crashes? I've not seen one :E
Aye, I saw the two Mercedes lads knock into each other in qualifying at Melbourne last night. Hamilton span off to the left, much to my amusement.

Every other occasion it's "happened" off-screen, and I see a car at the side of the track and a little debris sometimes. I'm guessing everyone's seen this though.

Re: F1 2010

i have all assists off bar manual gear and suggested braking line. AI on pro.

Same here :)

I tried manual gears at Catalunya and didnt do too badly - actually improved my times, but I could never sustain the concentration needed especially in a race.

If they had a 'suggested gear' marker on the HUD (as GP3 used to), it might be better as you can prepare for the change down, rather than having to glance at the gear counter mid corner.

I thought i was flying around Melbourne last night. I ended up finishing last as my concentration only held out until the 15th lap. Got 2 10 second penatlies, and then i had to pit. Dropped from 6th to 22nd, before spinning out on one of the turns, trying too hard to make up lost ground.

So far, i'm terrible, but i really like the game. I'm not into F1 enough to notice all the flaws in the game. I'm a bit of a casual really, so for me it seems very good.

Melbourne is my favourite track so far.

Melbourne is great fun to drive, must have driven that hundreds of times over the years. Think F12010 is the most fun version I've driven though.

got very annoyed at Monaco yesterday was struggling in 19th but my team mate (Digrassi) was last so no problems there, I pitted and came out 24th, none of the cars behind me pitted so I finished 24th. Hmmmmmmmph

got very annoyed at Monaco yesterday was struggling in 19th but my team mate (Digrassi) was last so no problems there, I pitted and came out 24th, none of the cars behind me pitted so I finished 24th. Hmmmmmmmph

Big official response from codies today regarding bugs and comments on forums. That pit bug is on their list to fix.

The game's beginning to grate on me now. Not sure what could have possibly changed since my first nights play where I did the first two races of a season and loved it. Haven't altered the settings.

Every qualifying session I do, when I get a flying lap, a car will appear and bump me off. I might be on a storming lap but they'll still be quicker and nudge me off the track. I might catch up with a car on a cold lap and they won't let me past without blocking me or spinning me off. On Kuala Lumpur last night it took 6 attempts to do my flying lap because of this. Tonight on Catalunya, even more attempts and I ended up just settling for last place on the grid.

Every race, I'll either get penalized for causing a crash or bumped off. Apparently keeping the racing line as a faster car overtakes (not lapping me) by cutting down the inside and spins me off, classes as an offence worthy of a penalty.

It's the kind of stuff you see on most racing games online, not offline! Apart from Supercar Challenge, and that was the main reason I got rid of that game. My AI is set to Advanced, if I knock it down a level I finish top 5 in qualifying and then overtake everyone in my Lotus within 5-6 laps..

Struggling to find a balance, and to keep plugging at it. The last two nights have been infuriating.

P.S. - Qualifying bug kicked in when I did manage a full lap at Kuala Lumpur. Notched 4th and was demoted to 18th for nothing when it came to race day. The trouble I'd had being pushed off the track added to the ragequit I spectacularly carried out...

Last edited:

Tried the game again. Catalunya on Career Mode. Started in last got to 20th by turn one, 16th by the end of lap one. 4th by the end of lap four when I when to pit my Lotus.

Twenty-nine second pitstop! No damage, nothing wrong. But that's not all, I leave the pit-lane and who else but Schumacher takes me straight off, two punctures on the car's left side. Rage-restart!

Start in last. Lap 4, pit in from 8th. 24 seconds. Left the pits in last, half the grid seemed not to pit. 9th lap and I was in 19th, struggling. Expectation was to finish 12th, so I was rather morbid. Last chicane before the finishing straight, De La Rosa takes my front wing clean off when power-braking. Rain starts to fall, and I seem to be outpacing everyone. Last lap, on the middle sector, flying round a mild corner in 9th (!), no yellow flag, SCHUMACHER. Look at him. Parked there. Sideways.

My front right wheel came off just before I did from the game.

@proxi

Sounds utter shit.

To be honest, other than the AI cars not pitting bug, I can't see the other stuff being fixed by patch....sounds like it's in there by design.

I'm almost tempted to buy it just to see how bad it is.

It's got one more chance later tonight, got a couple of hours spare for it. The ingredients are all there for a cracking game that I'd play for a good few months at least. Great visuals, presentation, sense of speed, rewarding driving (when not being arseholed), the AI is mostly great.

But I agree, I can't see the main faults being fixed, probably not even half or enough to let me turn a blind eye to what's left. I started playing it only a few days ago and became excited about playing such a promising game as this on circuits like Monaco, Spa and one of my other favourites, the A1 Ring. Now I doubt I'll even get to that point in the career mode before trading it in.

For those of you who own the PC version of the game if you goto:

www.racedepartment.com

There are plenty of mods for the game there which slightly improve the gameplay but mainly increase the quality of the textures and lightning making the game look alot better.

The 85% grip mod certainly makes the game that much better.

Last edited:

That's a top vid :D

CVG Article.
Take a look here, silliness explained by Codemasters themselves. One example being the Qualifying & Practice AI lap times method. They made it work "like a football management" sim, rather than basing it off real-time events. The cars you see on the track doing laps may as well be pulling donuts, as the positions are created by equating the particular car, driver, weather, tyres etc and generating a time.

Such a simple thing to get wrong. I used to love influencing Schumacher's qualifying sessions in F1 '97 using my friend the gravel trap.

Trading it in tomorrow.

one of my other favourites, the A1 Ring. Now I doubt I'll even get to that point in the career mode before trading it in.

You might as well take it to the shop now then 'cause the A1 Ring hasn't been used in F1 for years. :P

Where's Geoff Crammond when you need him ?

I remember when I first discovered Grand Prix 2 as a six year old, at PC World in Aintree. I got so hooked on it that I kept begging my mum and dad to take me back there all the time. Eventually we ended up buying our first PC and GP2 with a wheel just to save on petrol. :P

I grew up on that game, and it got equal share of my time with Gran Turismo and the first two Playstation F1 games.

God I miss those times.

You might as well take it to the shop now then 'cause the A1 Ring hasn't been used in F1 for years. :P

I remember when I first discovered Grand Prix 2 as a six year old, at PC World in Aintree. I got so hooked on it that I kept begging my mum and dad to take me back there all the time. Eventually we ended up buying our first PC and GP2 with a wheel just to save on petrol. :P

I grew up on that game, and it got equal share of my time with Gran Turismo and the first two Playstation F1 games.

God I miss those times.

Me too matherto. I tried to get GP4 to run on 64 bit Vista but it always crashed...... :(

how do you guys find the Singapore track? Just curious, I'm from Singapore here. Proud of our being the first night race.

To get GP4 to work on Vista and Windows 7 you need to goto the GP4.exe and tell it to run in Win XP Compatibility and select "Run As Administrator".

I did that bsmaff. It still crashed. :(

Didn't affect GTR/GTR2 or Steel Panthers:WaW the latter of which has an engine older than GP4.They all ran without problems under XP compatability.

Gave it up as a bad job sadly.

is that in-game graphics!!!?

if it is, then where the hell have i been hiding recently!

i'm buying it!

I would lay off it and save yourself £30 it is really arcadey has more bugs than an ants nest.

If you do have a stupid moment and buy it the mods for the PC version do improve the game and make it slightly more playable.

Otherwise go find yourself a spectrum emulator and 3DGP and have some decent racing action.

Back
Top Bottom