[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

It's not the numbers at all, it's the way they save shots, at 20 they still make the saves they should make, they just don't hold onto the ball as if they're wearing magic glue gloves.

Ok, fair enough. My games tend more toward being goal fests, so I'm wary of lowering gk ability. I play with default settings and default assistance though, which could be the reason for our differences.

Last edited:
Ok, fair enough. My games are tend more toward being goal fests, so I'm wary of lowering gk ability, though I play with default settings and default assistance, which could be the reason for our differences.

Game plays very different with full manual controls and sliders, it seems much less scripted and the AI less super-human.

Ok, fair enough. My games tend more toward being goal fests, so I'm wary of lowering gk ability. I play with default settings and default assistance though, which could be the reason for our differences.

Does that mean you play on assisted passing etc? I thought I was the only one here doing that?!

Does that mean you play on assisted passing etc? I thought I was the only one here doing that?!

I used to be all manual but no longer. I found that the only way I enjoyed playing manual (i.e. win a few games) was by slowing the game down. But when I slow things down, I no longer enjoy the way players feel - it becomes too sluggish for me.

I also have shitty aim in FIFA apparently (though I always play with aim assists off in shooters, go figure) and didn't enjoy that aiming skills have such an over-weighted impact on the game, compared to say decision making and dribbling skills.

So I've gone back to semi/assisted and never looked back.

Game plays very different with full manual controls and sliders, it seems much less scripted and the AI less super-human.

Well obviously if you reduce the CPU's ability through sliders you're going to be making the AI less "super-human", though for the most part I have little trouble handling the AI on Legendary with default sliders. The troubles that I do have tend to be due to defensive AI deficiencies (like backline defending) or mechanical issues (like player switching), and not so much with what the CPU AI can do.

And personally I find these claims of scripting to be hogwash.

Last edited:
I was scepticle about setting GK's to 20. But in my amazement it seems much more realistic. Goals are more varied and i think setting shooting error to 54 combined with 20 GK adds an amazing layer of random variation. loving it

I was scepticle about setting GK's to 20. But in my amazement it seems much more realistic. Goals are more varied and i think setting shooting error to 54 combined with 20 GK adds an amazing layer of random variation. loving it

Do you play on assisted/semi or manual? In not sure what effect reducing keepers might have with more assisted shooting (I use semi but frankly it feels more manual than assisted).

Do you play on assisted/semi or manual? In not sure what effect reducing keepers might have with more assisted shooting (I use semi but frankly it feels more manual than assisted).

On CG 14 I tried GKs at 20 and it worked fine, and this was with assisted settings. I don't see why it'd be any different now.

If you feel like your games are lacking goals but shot numbers on target are fine, I think reducing gk ability is a good thing to try. It does make GKs more fallible, which i like.

The only reason I'm wary of doing so myself is because there are lots of goals in my games while save percentages are just about where they should be. I'm more concerned with defensive - especially AI - issues myself.

Anyone else have 'sweaty hands' problem with PS4 pad? Lol I know it sounds funny but this has made it really hard for me to play! I didn't have this issue with xbox 360 last year.

I heard there are 'Gamer Gloves' and cases for controllers, anyone ever tried one or have similar problem?

semi passing & shooting, manual through ball & crossing.

The only thing i'm looking at tweaking is CPU pass error 65, maybe drop it to 55,60. But i'll play more before i do anything. either way, it's a diff ball game

Anyone else have 'sweaty hands' problem with PS4 pad? Lol I know it sounds funny but this has made it really hard for me to play! I didn't have this issue with xbox 360 last year.

I heard there are 'Gamer Gloves' and cases for controllers, anyone ever tried one or have similar problem?

LOL sounds pretty unpleasant! Nope can't say I have that problem, there are skins you can get for the controller although not sure rubber would help but worth a try, you can get them very cheaply from Chinese Ebay:

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/sea...dno=&luceneQuery=&seotype=&_flush=-1746207811

http://www.tmart.com/search.html?q=ps4+skin&typeid=3230

No only when they are on my bollocks.:P

On CG 14 I tried GKs at 20 and it worked fine, and this was with assisted settings. I don't see why it'd be any different now.

If you feel like your games are lacking goals but shot numbers on target are fine, I think reducing gk ability is a good thing to try. It does make GKs more fallible, which i like.

The only reason I'm wary of doing so myself is because there are lots of goals in my games while save percentages are just about where they should be. I'm more concerned with defensive - especially AI - issues myself.

Hmm, I think I'll do the same and leave it, keepers seem to parry their fair share already to be honest.

I think I might have cracked the game defensively, I'm very rarely ever conceding more than one goal a game now and have kept tons of clean sheets. Now I'm getting to grips with it, it's a lot more fun. Two things I'm also learning when attacking are firstly to pass the ball faster, on semi passing (I've recently gone back to it) I was moving the ball too slowly which was giving the opposition time to reorganise defensively - zipping the ball around faster works as it should in real life. Secondly, I'm learning the benefits of shooting early. Dithering on the ball just doesn't work as well, even if no challenges are coming in.

Time to start another career mode I think. I'm thinking going big and taking on Man Utd, and restructuring their entire squad. Or, maybe Liverpool and activate the billionaire option at some point in the game. They're far different to my usual PES challenges of starting with default made-up ML players and no money, but could be a lot of fun. I'm still not used to having full PL licences so doing an English league is always tempting.

Last edited:
Good for you - sounds like you're about ready for Legendary, though I'd make World Class last as long as possible for you (even though the CPU AI decision making is a nice improvement at Legendary, it can be a real bitch at times). This game is a blast when you're in one of those grooves that makes you think you've got it figured out. Unfortunately for me I tend to be inconsistent, going on streaks where I dominate, then streaks where I get schooled.

I'm like you too in regards to CM - usually I always start at the bottom in CM, but for some reason this year I've only done top club CMs. I don't know what it is about NG FIFA but that's a first for me (though I think it's because in the past I hated the pace of the game when playing with top teams but now I truly enjoy it).

If anyone is looking for a good CM, I fully recommend Schalke - they have a great combination of quality and youth but are a challenging team to start with because aside from Farfan they lack pace and Huntelaar sucks for a striker rated in the 80s (he was the first for me to go). I'm kinda rushing through Dark Souls 2 right now so that I can get back to it.

Last edited:
Given that creation centre isn't working for Next Gen Fifa 14, what player creation options are there? Just the standard Fifa in game player creator where you can't pick skill move or work rates?

And I assume you still can't use the VIP in CM, correct?

Good for you - sounds like you're about ready for Legendary, though I'd make World Class last as long as possible for you (even though the CPU AI decision making is a nice improvement at Legendary, it can be a real bitch at times). This game is a blast when you're in one of those grooves that makes you think you've got it figured out. Unfortunately for me I tend to be inconsistent, going on streaks where I dominate, then streaks where I get schooled.

I'm like you too in regards to CM - usually I always start at the bottom in CM, but for some reason this year I've only done top club CMs. I don't know what it is about NG FIFA but that's a first for me (though I think it's because in the past I hated the pace of the game when playing with top teams but now I truly enjoy it).

If anyone is looking for a good CM, I fully recommend Schalke - they have a great combination of quality and youth but are a challenging team to start with because aside from Farfan they lack pace and Huntelaar sucks for a striker rated in the 80s (he was the first for me to go). I'm kinda rushing through Dark Souls 2 right now so that I can get back to it.

Ha, I'm not touching Legendary. It's still difficult enough on WC. I'm now considering a career mode with Ajax, rekindling memories of that legendary 90's team will be quite a challenge!

At least playing in another country will mean I won't have to play Stoke. Ahh, Stoke, the random team EA always make super hard to beat for no apparent reason. I played a random friendly against them as Man City and ended up playing five in a row just to try and beat them. I didn't. I have no idea why but EA always makes the Stoke team hard as nails (imagine Dzeko being roughed up and left on his backside by Aissaidi and you get the picture), each player is fast as lightning (think Silva being trounced in a flat sprint against a lumbering CB) and then they'd dribble and pass like Barcelona. I really hate playing Stoke in this game.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any tips for this particular type of goal I concede? Basically, when the AI thumps a long free kick, your CB will be there to challenge for the header near the edge of his own box. This happened as usual against Stoke, until twice in the game the ball travelled down the pitch only for me to realise Lescott had wandered off and left Crouch all on his own and in on goal. The replayed showed him marking Crouch but before the free kick was taken, Lescott just wandered off on his own.

This has happened several times with long free kicks now, and I don't know how to stop it.

That's just one of the several ways that the defensive AI can let you down and why I think it's gotta be a priority for FIfA 15. There's nothing you can do about the AI making really, really stupid decisions when marking attackers.

Ha, I'm not touching Legendary.

One thing to note is that the difficulty jump from WC to Legendary is nothing like the huge leap going from Pro to WC.

LOL sounds pretty unpleasant! Nope can't say I have that problem, there are skins you can get for the controller although not sure rubber would help but worth a try, you can get them very cheaply from Chinese Ebay:

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/sea...dno=&luceneQuery=&seotype=&_flush=-1746207811

http://www.tmart.com/search.html?q=ps4+skin&typeid=3230

Lol yah its unpleasant cuz you lose grip and dont have same control you would haha. It sounds funny but its honestly the only thing keeping me from enjoying what is in my opinion a GREAT game!

Thanks. I've heard of those cases (skin) and that is apparently one 'solution' with the other one being 'gamergloves' which is another thing I'd never heard of. Both options are cheap so I'm gonna give them both a go probably and hope one takes care of this 'issue' lol.

This FIFA nextgen, from what I played so far, seems to be the best FIFA in years.

Most of my matchs were player vs player offline, assisted controls, slow speed and world class AI. I really like how AI position themselves defensively, and with the right stick to switch players, wich works very nice, I can always move my players to fill gape and keep the team in shape. The midfield has more presence in defence now, they form a line to protect defenders, they get closer to the defence line. This FIFA is the first in years that you feel forced to pass the ball around as you can not just make some passes forward and get in one on one situations só easily like in some previous FIFA.

I honestly think that even the assisted passing is not bad at all like in other Fifa's. You definetly have to concetrarte a bit more to link some passes together, you can not just hit the X blindly expecting the ball to quickly reach your traget's feet, it's important to put the right weight on the ball. Something that I like a lot a lot in This FIFA is how well the game knows the intended target (the player whom you want to pass to) depending on the power you put on the ball. I played on manual already but I'm yet to play in semi wich seems to be nice option.

Movement physics are not what I'd like to see but it's definetly improved compared to the Last FIFA I played (Fifa 12) wich was awful in this aspect. There are still some gliding movements but players are not changing directions with the ball under controll instantly, they stop a bit and the body reacts properly. They still haver much work to do tho.

Dribbling seems to be better as well. I manged to dribble past defenders without using special skills, ball control animations are more refined. This also needs to be improved in the next version, but it's definetly better than in previous Fifa. I also felt more confortable and more confident when dribblind with Ribery than with any other Bayern player, and that was just not because of speed, but also better ball controll, he can quickly change directions in tight spaces better than his teammates. Individuality is not as pronounced as in PÉS 2013 but it's clearly better that in any other Fifa.

I couldn't also forget to mention how first touch is also much better now and it's relevant to the game.

Oveall the game is good and it has been a plesureable surprise from what I've played so far. There are still needs to make more notable improvements in some areas, but this is without a doubt a good start for FIFA on this new generation and makes next Fifa sounds more promising.

Last edited:
Yeah it definitely is the best FIFA yet. As for players gliding/footplanting problems, they were noticeably fixed with ModdingWay patches on PC (CG FIFA 14), so there is much more hope for NG version and EA to fix it themselves ;).

Nice review and I agree with everything. NG FIFA's got its flaws but it's also a great start for next gen.

Can't wait to see what they plan for 15, though the more I play the more I hope they really tap the new console's tech for upgrading the AI and making FIFA a smarter, deeper game.

Just made the switch to Legendary from WC (using Placebo's sliders) and it's been a whole new game for me. Had started to feel little variation between matches on WC, and there's a real challenge there now. Beating the teams I should with an odd struggle or two, and finding the better sides much more difficult to cope with. Really enjoying it at the minute.

Back
Top Bottom