[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

Yeah that momentum is there in spades, I notice the same match swings from me having comfortable possession and chances to the COM going all hyped up and dribbling like Messi, regardless of stats. It's an issue with being on Workd Class or higher, and while it does try and mimick the swings of a football match its so blatant and difficult to live with the CPU when it boosts its own players.

I don't really see how it's an issue with my defending if I limit the COM to having one shot on target in the entire 90 minutes. That's usually considered extremely tight defending. So if they have one shot, usually not an easy chance either, and smash it perfectly into the bottom corner then I don't see what else I can do. What am I supposed to do if my keeper virtually never saves anything? Consider I'm poor at defending until you can limit the game to zero shots on goal? That virtually never happens in football.

I just don't get it with the shooting either. I've counted that in my last ten matches I've hit the post eleven times. And like I said, I just don't get it.

Obviously if you're only allowing a single shot on target then that's solid defending on your part. But that's not what I was replying to, as you said that the "COM scores almost every shot they take."

I thought we were talking about an issue that transcends a single match, and I assumed that you meant you weren't allowing a single shot on target every game. If you're actually only allowing only a single shot on target every game, then a) please give me your defending tips; and b) then yeah, that's really shitty luck that the CPU has such a high on-target conversion rate against you. That's simply not my own experience.

About shooting, I really don't know what to say, as I typically always lead the league in scoring in my CMs (though granted I've played with decent to great teams - Chelsea, Dortmund, and currently Schalke).

This game favors attacking play so you really shouldn't be struggling to score to the extent you indicate. If you're getting off a good number of shots but not scoring, I'd say that it indicates that your shot selection isn't great, and that maybe you're rushing your attack. Maybe fight your first instinct to shoot and do an extra move - a pass, a dribble, whatever - to improve your chances. If you think there's nothing wrong with your shot selections, then maybe you simply have issues with your aiming. Maybe try decreasing your shot error slider just to experiment and see if that's the problem.

All I can say is that my experience is more like what DarthKebab suggested - there are moments, phases of matches, or even entire matches, that you just can't stop the AI. But these are only a small part of the overall experience.

And these times when the CPU plays so well, I see them as a result, not of scripting or "momentum," but of a) playing a team whose players are on form; b) penalties - whatever they are, we don't really know - due to what we pick during press conferences; c) home/away advantages (if there actually are any; I'm not 100% on this one); and d) CPU tactics (this one is huge that many people don't properly adjust to and then just call it cheating).

Then I think the PC guys have said that within the code they've found pre-match modifiers for how the CPU will perform. I don't know how those work, or whether it's actually true that these modifiers exist.

This is how the game simulates variety within CM. Personally I don't have a problem with any of them, though I do agree that the difficulty spikes in this year's game are a bit much, and that when the CPU does go into "god" mode, it feels quite unfair. That said, overall I don't experience your issues to the regularity and degree that you indicate.

I don't think the game cheats. I just think that some weaknesses in the defensive system combined with the game's difficulty spikes create some problems. I also think these problems can be overcome, for the most part at least.

Yes, FIFA has it's moments where the game fucks you over, but if you want to play a game that's actually designed to fuck you over at pretty much every moment, play Dark Souls 2. Going back to FIFA after a few days of DS2 is like a nice stroll in the park.

Semi/Auto controls lead to more post hitting, that's just the way it is, known Fifa'ism for years.

Really? The only major difference I notice is that with manual shooting I hit an irregularly high number of wide shots, while with semi/auto I haven't noticed hitting the post an irregular amount.

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree with that for sure, though I only have this version to go on. Last night I won three games in a row but still managed to hit the post twice in those three games!

Incidentally, my results have improved tenfold having increased the shot error slider by just one point so it's 51 for both sides. Strange. My defending had also improved to the point that last night I only let in about two goals in around five games, with the COM averaging about two shots on target per game. One match, the COM managed zero shots on target.

My defending has improved massively thanks to one rather obvious thing I was doing, probably because of years of playing PES meaning I never considered it. This is, when I face up to an attacker using contain or manually jockeying using L2, I used to still get beaten because I was pushing hard with the directional stick. Even without using sprint, the L stick can move your player in various levels of speed depending on how far in one direction you push it. So, as I found out in a training game, you can keep pace with those sharp player turns so much easier by virtually not moving the L stick at all, just barely tilting it in whatever direction you need to go. It works brilliantly with contain, and just like when you sprint, the COM reacts to how fast you travel and slows itself down. I can win the ball so much easier using contain or L2 and guiding my defender into the attacker because I can now keep pace and react to sudden movements without momentum throwing my defender off. Now all I need to do is learn how to cope with lifted balls over the top of my defence and I'm set.

It might be really obvious to experienced FIFA players but PES never had that varying degree of movement, so it's never something I'd considered, but I've gone from leaking goals to super tight in defence in one sudden turn.

Last edited:
I'll have to pay more attention to how often I hit the post, though like I said I can't say that I've ever thought it to be an issue. But I'll take hitting the post anyday over all the shots that, I guess as a result of my terrible aim, tended to go more toward the corner flag with manual shooting.

Suuupertalk, I don't know about next-gen (PC/PS3 only for me :( ), but that 'virtually not moving the stick' also works really well for dribbling in last-gen Fifa.

So just like that the game stopped blatantly cheating and fucking you over?

I wouldn't say that, I've managed to keep the COM to virtually no shots on target in those games but there are still a lot of occasions where something happens and you think 'that's ridiculous'. I still let in occasional goals I could do absolutely nothing about.

I think marginally increasing shot error has severely hamstringed the COM to be honest, I'm not sure yet if it's a good thing. My long range shooting is now very very hard to do, but I am seeing far fewer occasions where I'll hammer their goal all game only for them to smack it 60 yards to some guy who's off-form who then manages to control on his chest, turn and volley a perfect shot in off the post. Far less of that kind of thing. The COM is having to work a bit harder than just boosting a player momentarily.

Last edited:
What camera angle you guys play on? I just can't sims to find the right cam for this game. I am changing angles few times in one game and still can't get comfortable with any of the settings. Custom settings, height and focus barely adjust, but the sliders goes up to 20. This is wired. Please help. Thanks

I've tried virtually all of them and ended up settling on traditional Tele cam set to around 10 height and 12 zoom.

I wouldn't say that, I've managed to keep the COM to virtually no shots on target in those games but there are still a lot of occasions where something happens and you think 'that's ridiculous'. I still let in occasional goals I could do absolutely nothing about.

I think marginally increasing shot error has severely hamstringed the COM to be honest, I'm not sure yet if it's a good thing. My long range shooting is now very very hard to do, but I am seeing far fewer occasions where I'll hammer their goal all game only for them to smack it 60 yards to some guy who's off-form who then manages to control on his chest, turn and volley a perfect shot in off the post. Far less of that kind of thing. The COM is having to work a bit harder than just boosting a player momentarily.

Well if you're limiting the CPU to so few shots on target, I'd say you're doing really well. So well that it sounds like you're almost ready to go up to Legendary, though I suppose you might want to wait until you're scoring more first.

Well done - you've come so far!

I've tried virtually all of them and ended up settling on traditional Tele cam set to around 10 height and 12 zoom.

Care to post a video of that angle? I still haven't gotten my PS4, and am trying to see how the PS4-game looks with different camera angles - hard to find on Youtube, for some reason.

Does anyone know if you can swap default stadiums for teams once you've started Career Mode? I can't find an option to do so.

I quite liked the idea of taking on a League One or Championship side with a small stadium, getting the club to a decent Premier League status on a limited budget, before activating the billionaire takeover option and moving them to a brand new stadium. Seems like fun but I think you're stuck with the stadium you start with.

Seems a bit low but trust me it's not, anything higher than that is IMO way unrealistic :)

In the seasons that I've recorded match stats, the CPU goalkeeper has had average save %s of 68, 69, 74, 66, 66, and 69. This is with the CPU gk slider set to default, all on Legendary difficulty.

Meanwhile the average gk save % in the EPL is approx 70%. I'm curious how you came to your conclusion that default gks are unrealistic.

It's not the numbers at all, it's the way they save shots, at 20 they still make the saves they should make, they just don't hold onto the ball as if they're wearing magic glue gloves.

Back
Top Bottom