[Next Gen] Fifa 14 - General Discussion

never use clearance(shot) button to clear!!!! not even with headers!!! use long pass, and passing header to clear, that way you can control the direction of the clearance

Well the guide Gabe kindly posted really helped, using L2 all the time helps a vast amount, but I still can't win a game. Eight games tonight, no wins. Virtually all were draws or losses by the odd goal. I can defend perfectly for 89 minutes yet the COM will always find a way of scoring. And the amount of times I hit the post is bizarre, that's beyond coincidence. Something odd is going on with that.

I just can't win. I pummelled Hull with Arsenal earlier, they didn't have a single shot on goal, using L2 was great both in winning the ball while jockeying and for virtually everything else too, I was winning challenges, closing the ball down, I hit the post twice, had several ludicrous moments where the ball stayed out of the goal, then on 90 minutes the game flipped a switch of some kind and Hull turned into hulk-like maurauding lunatics, winning every tackle, closing me down to the point where I couldn't clear the ball because they were charging me down before the power bar could charge at all, and surprise surprise they manufacture an absolutely shitty goal with the last kick of the game.

No matter what I do I can't stop the COM scoring, and can't take chances myself. When I shoot, the ball always finds a way to stay out, then the COM goes up the other end and hits a perfect shot straight in every time.

Dunno how to stop that to be honest, I've tried sliders but nothing feels right, and can't explain why I can barely ever finish chances and can defend perfectly for the whole game minus 20 seconds or so where the COM always manages to find a goal I just couldn't do anything about,

Are you using sliders or are you back to playing at default?

I ask because imo defending is kinda broken when you play on default settings - like you've mentioned, it's near impossible to keep a clean sheet against the CPU on the higher difficulties without sliders adjustments. Because of issues with the defensive AI, player switching, and the defensive mechanics, it's just about impossible to go a whole game without the CPU getting an easy chance (or two or three) on goal.

For me, I'm still playing at default (because I'm a masochist I guess), and on Legendary, and winning more than I'm losing, but it's just because I don't have a problem scoring. But no matter which team I play, no matter whether I have the best defenders in the world, I find that the CPU will always get some easy chances as a result of the flaws with the game.

It'd be one thing if it were "quality" goals the CPU scores but they aren't. Instead it's a disproportionate number of shitty, sloppy, easy chances. It's frustrating.

So even though I'm playing at default right now, I do think you can even things out a little with sliders (though you're not fixing the issues, just limiting the CPU in other areas to compensate).

The best adjustments I've found for me so far, that do just enough to even things out a little without hamstringing the CPU too much, is by increasing CPU pass error to 55, CPU first touch to 53, and User gk to 60.

Another thing you can do, which I've done with one CM season, is just play with User keepers at 60, or even higher. Some people think keepers are godly in FIFA but even when playing with keepers at 60, my keeper save rate hovered right around 70%, which is just average by top league standards. Increasing User keeping ability helps I find with evening out things since the CPU gets too many easy and sloppy goals imo.

I really hope tightening up the defensive side of the game is a top priority for FIFA 15. If someone out there is able to win regularly through solid defense (i.e. averaging 1 or fewer goals conceded per match) on default settings and Legendary difficulty, I'd love to hear from them because personally I don't see how it's possible.

Are you using sliders or are you back to playing at default?

I ask because imo defending is kinda broken when you play on default settings - like you've mentioned, it's near impossible to keep a clean sheet against the CPU on the higher difficulties without sliders adjustments. Because of issues with the defensive AI, player switching, and the defensive mechanics, it's just about impossible to go a whole game without the CPU getting an easy chance (or two or three) on goal.

For me, I'm still playing at default (because I'm a masochist I guess), and on Legendary, and winning more than I'm losing, but it's just because I don't have a problem scoring. But no matter which team I play, no matter whether I have the best defenders in the world, I find that the CPU will always get some easy chances as a result of the flaws with the game.

It'd be one thing if it were "quality" goals the CPU scores but they aren't. Instead it's a disproportionate number of shitty, sloppy, easy chances. It's frustrating.

So even though I'm playing at default right now, I do think you can even things out a little with sliders (though you're not fixing the issues, just limiting the CPU in other areas to compensate).

The best adjustments I've found for me so far, that do just enough to even things out a little without hamstringing the CPU too much, is by increasing CPU pass error to 55, CPU first touch to 53, and User gk to 60.

Another thing you can do, which I've done with one CM season, is just play with User keepers at 60, or even higher. Some people think keepers are godly in FIFA but even when playing with keepers at 60, my keeper save rate hovered right around 70%, which is just average by top league standards. Increasing User keeping ability helps I find with evening out things since the CPU gets too many easy and sloppy goals imo.

I really hope tightening up the defensive side of the game is a top priority for FIFA 15. If someone out there is able to win regularly through solid defense (i.e. averaging 1 or fewer goals conceded per match) on default settings and Legendary difficulty, I'd love to hear from them because personally I don't see how it's possible.

Yeah I've been using adjusted sliders, stuff to try and make the CPU less pinpoint in everything they do but it doesn't work, the COM finds a way to score regardless. The L2 jockey works a treat in one match, the next, it's useless, the COM just walzes past you like you weren't there. I can contain pretty well around the pitch but when they get within 25 yards from goal I just don't know how to defend against a guy with the ball at his feet. All he has to do is dribble towards me, chop turn on the ball and it's as if my defender auto goes the other way, and he's totally stuffed my defender. So, when they get near my goal, especially on the wings, they just glide past my defenders like they're not there, or, if I contain, I can't get close enough and they can easily shoot. The number one way I concede from headers is because the COM player glides past my full back, cuts inside and chips up a little lofted cross from close in.

Shooting is ridiculous though, seven games tonight, I won two and lost five - of those, the COM would say win 2-1 from 3 shots on target, then the next game they'd win 3-1 from 4 shots on target, 4-1 from 5 shots on target etc. You get the picture. Up the other end, I keep hitting the fucking post, it's beyond stupid now. I lost 3-1 in one game, had 10 shots on target to their 4, hit the post THREE times.

So, if I then manage to somehow stop the other team from dribbling past my players in and around my penalty area, they KEEP scoring from crosses and headers. All the facking time. I can easily defend nine out of ten crosses by selecting a central defender and going for the ball as it comes into the box, but that one time, which happened in three separate matches tonight, all in the last two or three minutes of the game, the cross comes over, I hammer the clear button, and the COM just plain outjumps my player. It really does just seem to score when it wants.

Thing is, I watch other people's videos and thy really don't appear to be doing anything different to me when defending, I just can't stop conceding. I thought I'd cracked it when learning about the L2 approach to jockeying and winning the ball, I instantly had a couple of clean sheets and scored goals, but then it just comes back and hammers you with 3 or 4 goals.

I might switch back to legacy defending, I'm not convinced tactical defending has improved the game at all. In fact it's largely useless, and in my experience the opposition are still able to change direction on the ball far too quickly to be able to manually run in and win the ball. But even though I can now win tackles much easier with L2, I still concede the same amount of goals, by hook or by crook the COM finds a way.

I just find it odd that playing as Arsenal, against Norwich, using L2 worked brilliantly. Attackers were visibly slowing up when I jockeyed, it works as a kind of barge button when competing for the ball, but then playing against Llorient with Monaco and then Marseille, they absolutely thrashed me. Llorient, of all teams. Every player was lightning fast on the ball and I couldn't get close enough at any point to even use jockey, they just glided past me when I wasn't there. And then when I finally did a match against them when I was winning, they pulled off two headers from crosses, one in the last minute, and that I saw coming before they happened - but the COM just beat the defender's jump.

It's so unforgiving, I'm starting to really dislike the game. If the only way to enjoy it is to hamstring it with increasingly drastic slider changes then doesn't that suggest EA made a semi broken game? I mean, if it was perfectly balanced and all great then no-one would be needing to adjust them in the first place.

Last edited:
I think your problem is that you are not defending corectly. How often are you using the running button? I ask because to defend is 90% about positioning and only 10% about running and pressuring the ball. So to defend DO NOT PRESS THE RUNNING BUTTON, unless the CPU begins running first or if you wish to change position to cover better.

Well the guide Gabe kindly posted really helped, using L2 all the time helps a vast amount, but I still can't win a game. Eight games tonight, no wins. Virtually all were draws or losses by the odd goal. I can defend perfectly for 89 minutes yet the COM will always find a way of scoring. And the amount of times I hit the post is bizarre, that's beyond coincidence. Something odd is going on with that.

I just can't win. I pummelled Hull with Arsenal earlier, they didn't have a single shot on goal, using L2 was great both in winning the ball while jockeying and for virtually everything else too, I was winning challenges, closing the ball down, I hit the post twice, had several ludicrous moments where the ball stayed out of the goal, then on 90 minutes the game flipped a switch of some kind and Hull turned into hulk-like maurauding lunatics, winning every tackle, closing me down to the point where I couldn't clear the ball because they were charging me down before the power bar could charge at all, and surprise surprise they manufacture an absolutely shitty goal with the last kick of the game.

No matter what I do I can't stop the COM scoring, and can't take chances myself. When I shoot, the ball always finds a way to stay out, then the COM goes up the other end and hits a perfect shot straight in every time.

Dunno how to stop that to be honest, I've tried sliders but nothing feels right, and can't explain why I can barely ever finish chances and can defend perfectly for the whole game minus 20 seconds or so where the COM always manages to find a goal I just couldn't do anything about,
told you so , jst a matter of time

I think your problem is that you are not defending corectly. How often are you using the running button? I ask because to defend is 90% about positioning and only 10% about running and pressuring the ball. So to defend DO NOT PRESS THE RUNNING BUTTON, unless the CPU begins running first or if you wish to change position to cover better.

I see what you say, but if the attacker starts sprinting at me then I often need to sprint just to prevent them from flying past me - but the COM seems able to dribble round me even when jockeying. I take up a decent position but get beaten anyways. Like I say, half the time the attacker just has to change direction and my player seems to go the wrong way!

I see what you say, but if the attacker starts sprinting at me then I often need to sprint just to prevent them from flying past me - but the COM seems able to dribble round me even when jockeying. I take up a decent position but get beaten anyways. Like I say, half the time the attacker just has to change direction and my player seems to go the wrong way!

No, if you're in front of an attacker, you shouldn't need to use sprint; you use jockey, and they won't sprint by you. If they do get by you, and there's not immediate cover, then yeah, it makes sense to sprint. This game is all about sprinting as little as possible, in defense and attack.

If players are beating you on the dribble so often it might be that you're jockeying when you shouldn't be. If the attacker has any momentum, jockeying is a sure way to get burned imo. On the higher difficulty settings and playing with default sliders, I think you've gotta be super conservative, only jockey when you have the advantage, and rely more on contain to slow down the attackers.

If you rely on jockey, then you're putting your reflexes against the CPU's, and if the CPU has any type of momentum, you're going to lose 9/10 times.

I've also found recent success in using ultra-defensive mentality more often, and I now go to it for every big match. Because FIFA is so attack oriented, your players still get forward enough that I still score about the same, but I'm slightly less vulnerable on the counter-attack.

The problem for me is that I defend solidly overall but all it takes is one lapse, or one failure of the AI or collision system, etc, and the CPU can get an easy goal.

For example, as Schalke yesterday I had an away Champions Cup match at Real Madrid in the knockout phase, and I played ultra-defensive with the counter-attack tactic, keeping it 0-0 until the 90th minute when I conceded a very lame penalty that was more a fault of the collision/fouling system than anything I did. So frustrating.

No, if you're in front of an attacker, you shouldn't need to use sprint; you use jockey, and they won't sprint by you. If they do get by you, and there's not immediate cover, then yeah, it makes sense to sprint. This game is all about sprinting as little as possible, in defense and attack.

If players are beating you on the dribble so often it might be that you're jockeying when you shouldn't be. If the attacker has any momentum, jockeying is a sure way to get burned imo. On the higher difficulty settings and playing with default sliders, I think you've gotta be super conservative, only jockey when you have the advantage, and rely more on contain to slow down the attackers.

If you rely on jockey, then you're putting your reflexes against the CPU's, and if the CPU has any type of momentum, you're going to lose 9/10 times.

I've also found recent success in using ultra-defensive mentality more often, and I now go to it for every big match. Because FIFA is so attack oriented, your players still get forward enough that I still score about the same, but I'm slightly less vulnerable on the counter-attack.

The problem for me is that I defend solidly overall but all it takes is one lapse, or one failure of the AI or collision system, etc, and the CPU can get an easy goal.

For example, as Schalke yesterday I had an away Champions Cup match at Real Madrid in the knockout phase, and I played ultra-defensive with the counter-attack tactic, keeping it 0-0 until the 90th minute when I conceded a very lame penalty that was more a fault of the collision/fouling system than anything I did. So frustrating.

I do get myself into situations where it's a reflex test, particularly when facing up with a defender directly against an attacker. I'll try using contain momentarily first to slow them down before using jockey, as you say, and see how that goes. Failing that, I'm trying legacy defending, I think the current method is too tough given the amazing reflexes the COM attackers have.

Okay, I tried it again last night this time using Max's suggestions, my defending is better, but again while containing then using L2 works great in some games, in others the COM seems inexplicably 'hyped up' for lack of a better expression. Even when containing I can't seem to slow them down. I guess that's just a drawback of playing on World Class.

I've started doing this technique where I press x to contain, pushing the stick towards the attacker while simultaneously holding L2, then quickly releasing and then pressing x again to contain but gradually creep towards the attacker for that split second you hold off x. Seems to work pretty well. Then when I get really close, holding L2 seems to override contain and he challenges for the ball.

I actually kept several clean sheets last night, which is encouraging. Some goals I just couldn't do anything about, like me winning a challenge in the area then it triple deflecting into the path of the attacker, or deep crosses and headers, but it's definitely improved. The one thing I need to get a grip on is how to stop long balls from turning into through passes, I got done over yesterday by the COM thumping the ball up the field from the edge of their own penalty area, and bizarrely their attacker was all alone in the middle and through on goal. My defenders went AWOL.

I'm back to using assisted passing and through ball with semi shooting and crossing, they feel best for me. While I make the same number of passes with semi passing, somehow it just doesn't open up the opposition in the same way. I really don't understand why but there you go. But the individuality is still there, I won with NY Redbulls and Henry felt like a huge step above.

Last edited:
That's pretty much what I do too - hold contain to zero in on attacker, and then go from there based on how the attacker reacts. If he tries to blow by me, I keep with contain; if he blows by me at speed, then I use sprint to match him; if he's lost his momentum, or didn't have much to begin with, I'll just use the left stick and maybe jockey to get in close for a tackle.

Sometimes I use teammate contain though I find it to be pretty risky in your defensive third because sometimes the teammate that contains is the last guy you want - I've lost count of the goals I've conceded because, instead of the player I'd hoped, my CB steps forward to contain, leaving space for an attacker to run into.

And yeah, there are some games where it just seems like nothing works. This goes for attacking too - you have those games, or those phases within games, where it's extremely difficult to get out of your own half; where just like how the defensive mechanics will fail, the mechanics for protecting the ball will be ineffective.

Personally I think they kinda overdid it with the CPU aggressiveness in this year's game. Thankfully most games aren't this way but when the CPU goes into "god mode" or whatever you call it, it can be a real bitch and I'm not a fan of those games. I've learned how to deal with those situations and win my fair share but I don't particularly enjoy that type of gameplay.

As for dealing with lofted through balls, I'm not sure how much can be done without using sliders to decrease their effectiveness, because when I watch the replays I see 9/10 times the problem is the backline AI - they simply fail to see and follow runners that any Sunday league defender would see as a threat.

Because of the backline AI issues you're going to concede some easy lofted through passes to the CPU, however if the CPU is doing it repeatedly in a match I think you have to respond by altering your tactics. I've found (some) success switching to ultra-defensive and counter-attack strategies for when the CPU is going the long ball route, and I've also had success, for the first time this year, with using the offsides trap, though I wouldn't recommend it against top or higher ranked teams. The other thing about defending those lofted through passes is to makes sure that you're holding down sprint and pointing the left stick toward your own goal when the auto-switching switches to your defender.

Those are my strategies at least, though I can't boast of being rock solid defensively (in my current CM I average 1.5 goals conceded), so if anyone else has ideas (other than sliders) I'd love to hear them. I'd love to hear from someone who is able to keep regular clean sheets, or someone who is able to keep their goals conceded to 1 per game or less, on the higher difficulty settings playing with default settings, though imo there might be too many defensive issues with FIFA 14 for that to be a realistic possibility.

Ok guys, I already bought a PS4 and Fifa 14, but I won't be playing it at least until I finish Killzone campaign, and there's some other games to come that I already purchased, not to mention those free Plus games.

For that reason I didn't even touch on the sliders, I just played One game on the default settings and my first impressions were not very good, but it's too early to make any conclusion, hopefully I'll share some of my impressions in more details later, I know that it's on Placebo's slides that the game is meant to be played.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I just played two games with a mate, lost both by 1-0. Let me make it clear that I am just as unexperienced to the game as him tho, I was even confusing square and circle button to shoot..:CONFUSE:

First game was tight, lots of chances to both, he scored a header when the game was about to end at 120min of match wich I didn't expect, and the second game, he scored at the beginning but then I totally dominated the match, lots of chances, I diserved to win in the end, but that's football.

Anyway, I really like what I see on this game even tho it was a friendly match with assisted controls and no sliders. Last night I played only one game and my impressions were not very positive, but today it was really decent (maybe not as good as PES2014 tho). Body physics are better and there are defintely more varied and better looking ball controll animations, clearly above from last gen. The game as a whole doesn't feel like a propper next gen game to me YET, but it's a good start.

Obviously there are still some awkward gliding movements, but overall it looks at least decent. Of course it has much to improve in this aspect, but it's on a more acceptable level compared to previous versions.

But what I really like is the first touch, much much much better than in any other previous Fifa game, wich defintetly adds more unpredictability to the game, and the fight for the ball is more interesting. The space on the pitch feels good imo, you can work with the ball properly. Also, I did notice a clear difference in, let's say, Dante and Messi in terms of dribbling and ball cotroll.

The only more agressive criticism I would make is that the CPU plays way too robotic for me, the way they pass the ball make animations unatural, and the way the CPU shoots in one on one is even more ridiculous.

So far,the game seems to be decent. The real test tho will be playing on Placebo's sliders, that's for sure.

Let's see how the game develops for me from now on. But as I said, I have yet to finish some other games, so I'll be investing my time on Fifa 14 later.

Last edited:
I don't think I'll persevere with this for too much longer, the scripting is worse than in PES. Absolutely atrocious.

Game after game after game I dominate, the opposition keeper seems without fail to play the game of his life and at the other end the COM will ALWAYS find a way to score. Man Utd v Palace, I had 65% of the ball, 8 shots on target, palace had 2, I lost 2-1. The COM scores almost every single shot they take, it's blatant cheating. In fact, the Palace game, the shot was going wide before hitting my defender on the back before deflecting into the net. I go up the other end, somehow an easy chance hits the post, I hit the rebound into what is an empty net and the keeper does a gravity defying flying save to keep the ball out.

The game has one rule for you, another for itself. Why these two companies can't present a challenging game without resorting to blatantly fucking the gamer over is beyond me.

I don't think I'll persevere with this for too much longer, the scripting is worse than in PES. Absolutely atrocious.

Game after game after game I dominate, the opposition keeper seems without fail to play the game of his life and at the other end the COM will ALWAYS find a way to score. Man Utd v Palace, I had 65% of the ball, 8 shots on target, palace had 2, I lost 2-1. The COM scores almost every single shot they take, it's blatant cheating. In fact, the Palace game, the shot was going wide before hitting my defender on the back before deflecting into the net. I go up the other end, somehow an easy chance hits the post, I hit the rebound into what is an empty net and the keeper does a gravity defying flying save to keep the ball out.

The game has one rule for you, another for itself. Why these two companies can't present a challenging game without resorting to blatantly fucking the gamer over is beyond me.

Are you using sliders? What difficult level are you playing?

I'm on World Class, a few sliders tweaked here and there but nothing overly drastic.

I just tried a rematch of the Palace game, I had 9 shots on target to 1, lost 1-0 after extra time. Surpise surprise, it hit the post right near the end, then Palace scored the most pathetically convoluted goal. Their CB thumped the ball 70 yards to the wing right on their winger's chest, Evra was tustling for the ball when the COM decided he was just going to fallover for no reason, leaving the Palace winger through on goal. Instead of shooting he moved into that position just to the side of the six yard box, flipped up a tiny cross like he's playing beach ball keepie ups, and the attacker had an empty net.

Something like this happens every time. One game they score from a triple deflection, the next it's from a header down to cursor switching issues, the next game my full back falls over leaving someone through on goal, it just goes on game after game. I've really improved my defending recently which had made this worse, the COM always finds a way, no matter how stupid, to score.

Attend other end, the amount of times I hit the post is a joke. I'd say I average hitting the post bordering on once a game. I don't understand why.

Last edited:

So much these days gets blamed on scripting that I've lost track of what scripting is even suppose to mean.

No offense but if you're struggling that much playing with Man Utd on World Class, it's not the game. There are defensive issues, to be sure, but you really shouldn't be struggling to score.

If scripting is present in the way you describe, and "blatant cheating," then how am I leading the Bundesliga with Schalke on Legendary difficulty with default sliders?

Yes I concede more than I'd like to but I see those problems as issues with the defensive AI, collision mechanics, player switching, etc. I don't think I've ever seen anything that's made me cry out scripting.

If the CPU is scoring every shot it takes, then something is up with your defending. Just for comparison's sake, I average about the same shots per match as the CPU (~9), I average about one more shot on target per game (6.5 vs 5.5), and average about half a goal more per game.

Kinda weird that the game is, as you say, fucking you over but not me, don't you think?

This game has its fair share of issues, and it can be infuriating at times, but I don't see scripting - whatever it means - as an issue. If you're struggling with the difficulty level, then you need to adjust the game to better suit your ability level.

Last edited:
There are moments that you cant stop the AI scoring as there is in any sports game, scoring is hard at times but I still came second on world class with Everton and scored over 60 goals.

Lukaku is a beast for me in the air, most my goals come from him as I play only him up front and 3 behind him, I want to buy Hernandez though as he is quick and offers scomething different to the more sluggish Lukaku, just bought Gundagon for 32m so really excited to control him.

Individuality in this game is incredible, having to pour over stats and traits of each player is so important.

So much these days gets blamed on scripting that I've lost track of what scripting is even suppose to mean.

No offense but if you're struggling that much playing with Man Utd on World Class, it's not the game. There are defensive issues, to be sure, but you really shouldn't be struggling to score.

If scripting is present in the way you describe, and "blatant cheating," then how am I leading the Bundesliga with Schalke on Legendary difficulty with default sliders?

Yes I concede more than I'd like to but I see those problems as issues with the defensive AI, collision mechanics, player switching, etc. I don't think I've ever seen anything that's made me cry out scripting.

If the CPU is scoring every shot it takes, then something is up with your defending. Just for comparison's sake, I average about the same shots per match as the CPU (~9), I average about one more shot on target per game (6.5 vs 5.5), and average about half a goal more per game.

Kinda weird that the game is, as you say, fucking you over but not me, don't you think?

This game has its fair share of issues, and it can be infuriating at times, but I don't see scripting - whatever it means - as an issue. If you're struggling with the difficulty level, then you need to adjust the game to better suit your ability level.

I don't really see how it's an issue with my defending if I limit the COM to having one shot on target in the entire 90 minutes. That's usually considered extremely tight defending. So if they have one shot, usually not an easy chance either, and smash it perfectly into the bottom corner then I don't see what else I can do. What am I supposed to do if my keeper virtually never saves anything? Consider I'm poor at defending until you can limit the game to zero shots on goal? That virtually never happens in football.

I just don't get it with the shooting either. I've counted that in my last ten matches I've hit the post eleven times. And like I said, I just don't get it.

Last edited:
I kind of agree with suuupertalk; in my last match (as Man utd vs Southampton) my pc decided that I can not win so I hit 6 posts, including 2 double (left to right).
In some other matches, I can score easy goals and AI defends loosly. It has to do with momentum during the match and also simulated ups and downs through the season. I think it is ok that ea programed that but they should make it less apparent.

Back
Top Bottom