Moggi tapes - Italian Football Scandal

zebrabeat.jpg

I see everybody talking about Ac Milan, probably with much info as me about the case: none.

I ask the italian guys: why did Milan get away? Did their case differ from Juve and the others (I can see a clear reason why, Moggi wasn't director at Ac and I pretty much doubt MOggi would help out Milan sportively :)).

I say again, this is too "perfect" to be true. If this happens I change my opinion about Italy, but for the meanwhile I'll wait for the "coup".

Messina, Lecce and Treviso to remain in Serie A, no relegation.

Also agree about Milan btw, that absolutely stinks...

nt89 said:
but think also, the key players who won the wc now they virtually in serie b, it isn't very fair

Pirlo aint in Serie B. Gattuso aint. Grosso aint. Gilardino, Iaquinta.. dont pity the players. They get twice as much in a week than my little job can get me in a year.. big deal if they have to play their football against lower opposition, oh the indignity!

Mauras said:
I ask the italian guys: why did Milan get away?

Would you prefer a blanket decision with the same punishment for all 4 clubs? Milan stayed in Serie A because it was decided their infringements were lesser than the others'. If you're gonna ask a question like that, why not ask how Inter never were even in the investigation? Or Roma?

Either you trust in the decision making of this procedure or you dont, you dont just point to varying levels of punishment and say someone got away with something, as though they all were doing exactly the same thing.

Last edited:
Now everyone can see that Italian football is full of lies and tap-ups!

Juventus & Milan etc are a DISGRACE to football.

The people who were involved in this are, but I wouldnt blame the players. They had no idea this was happening. Neither did the coaches.

Im obviously happy Milan didnt get relegated, but the thought of not being in Europe is too much. We always do well in the Champions league, and its the highlight of my season.

It makes you wonder why the directors did all this, as the teams were so strong they didnt need match fixing. In Europe both Juve and Milan showed their strength consistantly.

Very lucky to stay in Serie A though.

Vlad,

What was said to me was that the Moggi tapes didn't point evidence to Milan was it did to others. If that's the case then Milan staying is fair.

Adonis said:
It makes you wonder why the directors did all this, as the teams were so strong they didnt need match fixing. In Europe both Juve and Milan showed their strength consistantly.

That means nothing Adonis. FC Porto also had a consistently more powerful team in the past 20 years, I don't think they needed to rob in the past 10,15 years yet they did. Think like this: no matter the team you have in a lucky day you can always loose. And nowadays defeats cost much MONEY.

Damn... I think we all knew from a few weeks back at least that Juve were in a lottttttttt of $hit and would probably go down (maybe even Serie C!!) and we knew that Fiorentina, Lazio and Milan might also get dragged down with them.

BUT I gotta admit,

1) At first I was a bit skeptical of whether this was gonna happen too. (I mean I heard about it but I thought they'd probably find a way not to get severely punished.. but I guess the world is fairer sometimes in few ways than I thought!)

2) I was hoping that Fiorentina aren't that guilty so they can stay in Serie A!

Why? Because with Juve and possibly Milan out too (at the time we didn't know which teams would go down remember), I could see Fiorentina challenging for the title and possibly even winning it since they have assembled a very impressive and expensive squad over the past couple years.

So I wanted to see them stay but too bad for people of Florence I guess.. because they had to go down.. come back up.. build a good team and before getting the FRUITS of their labour and money spent (which was European football this year and maybe challenge for title next year), they are gone down again!

Nonetheless I have no sympathy for any team that has done wrong and so if they all are guilty, I'm glad Fiorentina and the rest ARE being pushed down and being punished!

My 2 cents.

Milan were the least involved and broke 1 act compared to Juve, Lazio and Fiorentina breaking 2 acts. There was evidence for only 1 or 2 games of Milan being 'linked' to a game of match fixing, but not enough to send them down. Its already heavy with a 15 point deduction.

Milan also has 1 individual who was accused, Meani, which the club didnt know about, and he was linked with Moggi and the others. The other clubs had larger invlvements in the scandal.

Last edited:
I think this punishment is great for Italian football.
It is sad for the many real fans like Don and Milanista, but i think even they will see that in the end this is a good thing.
I wonder why Milan was punished less than the others. Could you explain that to me Milanista (i've read what you wrote a couple of posting s above mine, but i'd like to have more explanations).

I'm not asking this in a cynical way, i'm merely interested.
And Milanista, you know i don't like Berlusconi, but i feel sorry for the true Milan fans like you...you know that i like you.

I don't know about you guys, but I think the lower divisions are a million times better than the top division :D obviously thats my view because my club are never ever going to win the Prem, but the lower divisions are far more exciting and you can feel much closer to the club + players and feel you can share in their success much more

I cant remember the exact details, I'll get some links later tonight. But Milan broke fewer rules, which were not as serious ones as the other 3 teams, which was not enough to classify them as cheating. There was also a lack of evidence against Milan. You also have to take into consideration that Milan is Berlusconi's team, probably unlikely, but there might have been a Berlusconi influence behind the scenes.

Cheating fookers. I hated the Italian clubs before this and even more now. Juventus will ALWAYS be tarnished as cheats now. Not good.

Maybe now the league will be far more interesting next year...
Inter for the title?

Yep it's a dark day for football....

but it's not only italy, do you think is everything regular with abramovich in england ? ...
in france there are 5 years than lyon win always, it's not normal
in germany, last year a big scandal with referees, maybe worst than italian scandal.
in spain i saw some referees ridicoulous.
It's all the football :(, it's not a dark day, it's a light day of restart

nt89 said:
it's not a dark day, it's a light day of restart

I'm pretty sure he meant it's a dark day when inter are the unquestioned frontrunner for the title ;)

Hey, I love this development. The guys the fans cant reach, the directors, are getting punished and scared into going straight, I can't see how that isn't good for us. Given the hunger for success those guys exhibited by fixing matches, we can all imagine the ignominy and shame they must feel at playing in a league lower than the top.

But then why would that bother any of the punished teams' fans? I'm partial to Milan and given the choice between having directors who engage in dodgy dealings (ahem, anyone ever interviewed Abramovich's accountant?) and having a club with a clean record but a punishment it has to serve, i'd take the punishment every time. What's wrong, it's just a new challenge, gotta say my life would never have been complete without rooting for a team trying to make up negative points. the first 5 weeks at least, Milan will be rooted to 20th, but then it'll be a fun climb up. And imagine the team still finishes above inter at the end of the season. It's what the stories you tell your grandchildren are made up of.

Every dog has its day!

Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina and Milan all broke the rules and now they must suffer the consequences. It is a big mess that stinks and even refs like De Sanctis have been banned.

I feel sorry for the genuine fans, but we all knew all was not well when watching refereeing of Juve or Milan matches.

You ride with the devil eventually you arrive at hell.

Forza Roma !!!

CBG said:
Every dog has its day!

Juventus, Lazio, Fiorentina and Milan all broke the rules and now they must suffer the consequences. It is a big mess that stinks and even refs like De Sanctis have been banned.

I feel sorry for the genuine fans, but we all knew all was not well when watching refereeing of Juve or Milan matches.

You ride with the devil eventually you arrive at hell.

Forza Roma !!!

I'm with you on that, El Capitano. ;) I think Roma will have a good side as long as they get a proper striker, I relies last season they done well with Mancini up front but tbh an out and out goal scorer is needed. I'm well happy to see Roma in the CL also. :D

It will also be interesting to see if Palermo can get through, would be very interested in seeing how good a side they have against Europe's best.

Last edited:
but roma is another case incredible, they made a process to Sensi (as roma president) and baldini (ex- sport director of as roma, now at real madrid) beacouse he presented rolex to referees, he admitted and nothing happened, so if some one must be in silence is roma

Yep Roma are guilty. But the point is that the players and coach werent part of it. The actual cheating was choosing a referee and making him favourable, which didnt mean the team would definately get the result they wanted. Many of the examined matches have been draws or losses as well, and thats when the 'puppet masters' fucked up.

Milanista said:
I cant remember the exact details, I'll get some links later tonight. But Milan broke fewer rules, which were not as serious ones as the other 3 teams, which was not enough to classify them as cheating. There was also a lack of evidence against Milan. You also have to take into consideration that Milan is Berlusconi's team, probably unlikely, but there might have been a Berlusconi influence behind the scenes.

I do feel it has a lot do with Berlusconi's funding of Italy's tv rights.
There WAS clear evidence of Meani influencing (fixing) the udinese match in 04/05.

match fixing happens almost everywhere. here in argentina, there was a season where river plated needed a draw against argentinos juniors to be champion and argentinos juniors needed a draw not to be relegated... just guess the score heh... 0-0, neither of the teams actually got any close to the goals and everyone was happy.

voxel said:
match fixing happens almost everywhere. here in argentina, there was a season where river plated needed a draw against argentinos juniors to be champion and argentinos juniors needed a draw not to be relegated... just guess the score heh... 0-0, neither of the teams actually got any close to the goals and everyone was happy.

That's not the same thing at all.

REMEMBER THAT:

JUVENTUS WILL NEVER DIE.

now we go in Serie B, in the 2008 we will win the champion's league.

we are the best, always.

stop trying to make pathetic excuses - juventus, milan etc were found GUILTY of cheating after a long trial.

it is disgusting and any respect i had for the guilty parties has VANISHED.

EPL, La Liga, dutch league, german league = all entertaining, good-footballing leagues.

serie A is a joke.

Germany had a referee scandal last year. England has a tapping problem. Dutch league have problems this year as well. You think football is always pretty? Rather than being disgusted, we should be encouraging examinations of leagues to kill it all.

FIFA themselves are corrupt. Just look up the Blatter corruption claims and the evidence available.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom