Mirrors Edge

Re: Mirrors Edge (PS3/360) - incredible graphics!

I cancelled my pre order yesterday but they still sent me the code, I'll try it out later.

Can it be shared?

I haven't put the code in yet, will do after the football.

The review seems to point to more bad than good - and I wasnt convinced with the full screen advertising of Mirrors Edge around the outside of Eurogamer.

Need more reviews!

The time trial is pretty good, compared to the demo you certainly get more a wider range if you get what I'm saying.

There are two 'races', on the first one my first run through took 7 mins but I've since got it down to under 2 mins. The second race is called Edge and is a shorter circuit, I think I spotted on the leaderboards that someone finished it in 45 seconds.

Now thats a negative review. 8/10 does seem high for the description they've given.

Nevertheless I feel as though Eurogamer once again has tried to turn gaming into something it isnt; it may well reach the point where games are just as much of an 'art form' as movies, sending political and social messages to gamers, but we're certainly not there yet. It all just seems a bit trivial:

"There's something broken thematically, deep within Mirror's Edge: it tells you a rambling story about freedom even as it confines you to the tight squares of its own personal hopscotch court, and for many that will be one wrong-footing too many."

Bit of a moot point: the story is about the stifling of freedom, and hence the runners arent free to explore the city; anyway, theres usually only one convenient way to jump from building to building.

For all of the negative points in that review, there is VERY little comment on the gameplay mechanics, the general sequence of the levels, or any of the aural experiences or modes, cinematics etc.

The writer sounds like he has read one-too-many political papers for mine.

Now thats a negative review. 8/10 does seem high for the description they've given.

Nevertheless I feel as though Eurogamer once again has tried to turn gaming into something it isnt; it may well reach the point where games are just as much of an 'art form' as movies, sending political and social messages to gamers, but we're certainly not there yet. It all just seems a bit trivial:

"There's something broken thematically, deep within Mirror's Edge: it tells you a rambling story about freedom even as it confines you to the tight squares of its own personal hopscotch court, and for many that will be one wrong-footing too many."

Bit of a moot point: the story is about the stifling of freedom, and hence the runners arent free to explore the city; anyway, theres usually only one convenient way to jump from building to building.

For all of the negative points in that review, there is VERY little comment on the gameplay mechanics, the general sequence of the levels, or any of the aural experiences or modes, cinematics etc.

The writer sounds like he has read one-too-many political papers for mine.

Good post, you'd make a good reviewer :))

But having played the demo and imagining how the game may be (a bit shallow I think) I really agree with the review...:BLUSH: maybe that makes me a bad reviewer... Platform games have its own revolution with LBP, don't think going to fps style can add much to the genre unless they do a real gta-style city and sanbox-game type where you do many things in many ways.

this sort of game will be good for the first half hour .. then it'll all just seem the same. It's gonna be a game with big hype and .... just be forgotten about a month after it's been out

Thanks dags :))

But having played the demo and imagining how the game may be (a bit shallow I think) I really agree with the review...:BLUSH: maybe that makes me a bad reviewer... Platform games have its own revolution with LBP, don't think going to fps style can add much to the genre unless they do a real gta-style city and sanbox-game type where you do many things in many ways.

I sort of know what you mean. Obviously some looked at the demo and went "wow, this will revolutionize the genre" and others looked at it and went "forgetting the genre, this probably wont have enough content for me". I can see the logic in both sides of the argument, but I think how the review is interpreted really varies, as with every review, with what you think of the game. They're just so subjective, and its criminal that some people will only buy a game if it received 9's and 10's across the board. All that indicates it that the game appeals to a wider range of people, which may just be because shooting aliens is simply more popular than running between buildings.

btw, im not defending mirrors edge to the death. Im sitting on the fence as much as anyone here.On that note I think its a shame that they've released it at this time when so many good games are coming out. In any other time it would be a massive blockbuster title.

I sort of know what you mean. Obviously some looked at the demo and went "wow, this will revolutionize the genre" and others looked at it and went "forgetting the genre, this probably wont have enough content for me". I can see the logic in both sides of the argument, but I think how the review is interpreted really varies, as with every review, with what you think of the game. They're just so subjective, and its criminal that some people will only buy a game if it received 9's and 10's across the board. All that indicates it that the game appeals to a wider range of people, which may just be because shooting aliens is simply more popular than running between buildings.

btw, im not defending mirrors edge to the death. Im sitting on the fence as much as anyone here.On that note I think its a shame that they've released it at this time when so many good games are coming out. In any other time it would be a massive blockbuster title.

Yes, I agree with you, but take notice that I totally despise FPS nowadays. I'm tired of them. I've played them all too many years and they all seem the same with the same scripted actions, batlles and so. Linearity to me is something I can only cope with in co-op mode. That's why this game seems to me better for marketing than for playing.

Granted the art direction is really great.

Haha im the complete opposite - will play anything if its an FPS style game and im quite reluctant to play things like LBP or even Dead Space (is that what its called?). Even with driving games i put the view as first person.If FIFA had a way to do it without causing nausea (or frame rate issues **BAP**) id be there!

Well i have to say its pretty boring

I cant be arsed expanding because there is nothing much to say about it

Re: Mirrors Edge (PS3/360)

Just picked this up didnt even realise it was out. Havent tried it out yet as i bought gow2 at the same time...ah australia. we get games early but nothing else.

First impressions are that its not as bad as i thought it would be (after all the negative reviews). Theres actually quite a lot of variety to the environments and gameplay, and you occasionally have to use guns or objects to get through places. Its quite hard as well. So many times i have been really stuck not knowing where to go, especially since i turn runner vision off. But thats a good thing for me. Extends the longevity and its turned into more of a HL2 puzzle game, where you have to use physics to get places etc.

Yep, exactly why I like it. Reminds me of Portal in a sense, where you're looking around thinking "I don't get it", then all of a sudden a lightbulb will come on in your head and you'll go "AAAAAAHHHHHH!"

I love those moments in games.

Yep, exactly why I like it. Reminds me of Portal in a sense, where you're looking around thinking "I don't get it", then all of a sudden a lightbulb will come on in your head and you'll go "AAAAAAHHHHHH!"

I love those moments in games.

This is one of the reasons I loved the Tomb Raider games. However I don't think this game has enough of those moments to warrant a buy.

It really is pretty damn good, but judging from reviews about how short it is i can see myself trading it in when im done. not much replayability value im afraid. And i keep getting stuck and cant figure out where to go for the life of me, will turn it off and come back later, and get to where i need to go first time!! really weird, but good.

I played it for about half an hour and I've done 2/8 chapters, fucking gutted about how short it is. I love the game, I really do, but it's so short it feels like it's a demo - totally infuriating, a game that I love and I've only got a day with it before I'll be trading it in for something else before it goes down in value. Really really gutting. :(

Still think I'll pick this up later, even if it is short (and I'm not that great at completing games anyway), the time trials sound cool...

Plus I've got a fair bit of credit and nothing else is grabbing my attention in the near future (good job!), so may get it anyway.

Why are modern games getting shorter and shorter? £40 for something you can completely finish within a few days (and finish the story in less than a single day)? Since when is that worth £40? If a DVD lasts you for a week and it's £10, these short games shouldn't cost four times that. And if there's downloadable content coming, we shouldn't have to pay £40 plus £10 for the DLC, how about £10/£20 then the extra money, or (here's an idea) sell us a full fucking game for the full fucking price.

This was one of the best games I've played in a long while, so when I finished it less than a week after I'd got it, I felt like I'd been conned. And with the ending leaving a hole open for a sequel, you feel like, why can't I play the sequel now? It must have only took you five minutes to make this. I just started getting into it, it just started getting interested, then you tell me that's the end of the game? It's like watching the first half an hour of a film.

God it really winds me up, it's infuriating, such a great idea and such a great game, the length of a frigging demo. It's not just this game I know (it's just so frustrating because I really, really liked this game), but what I'm saying is, why is it the norm now? Even Fallout can be finished in less than a week if you just do the main story.

I think from now on I'm going to get all my games second hand, no way was this worth £40, never in a million years. Part of me wants to keep it for the inevitable DLC, but I feel like even more of a mug if I hold onto it and it goes down another £10 in value.

Although it can be completed in a day, it's not really demo short. Plus, it's not as if once you've completed the story, that the game is finished. Have you got all the bags? Got all the trophies?

No but come on, compare it to the story in other games. You can finish the story in 90 minutes, that's just not on. I know you're supposed to run as fast as you can and so that's going to accelerate it, but they've got to add a few more levels to stop the game finishing so quickly. Looking through the art that you unlock they even scrapped a level - perhaps that's what will be coming as DLC...

Finished it on hard tonight (well I say tonight, I mean this morning, i.e. ten minutes ago), without shooting an enemy as well to pick up two achievements at once. Just got to get all the bags now so I'll play through it one more time.

I hate that it's so short but it says something about how much I love the gameplay that I'm finishing it more than once, it is extremely rare that I will finish a game just once, never mind twice. This has to go down as one of my favourite games of all-time, along with SWOS, Abe's Oddysee and Bioshock.

I just love the idea (and the story as well), it's like Portal mixed with Sonic the Hedgehog and Abe's Oddysee. It gets your adrenaline going as well; you know when you play Rock Band/Guitar Hero and when you've played it for a few hours you look at the wall and it looks like it's "scrolling" towards you (like the notes coming towards you)? When I played Mirror's Edge yesterday morning and I went out afterwards, I was walking twice as fast. :LOL:

All that's left when I've got all 30 bags are the time trials and speedruns, and I'm rubbish at both, so it'll be getting swapped for CoD5 then I think. Unless there's a DLC announcement beforehand.

EDIT: DLC has been announced but it looks like it might be PS3 only, noooooooo!
CLICK

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom