Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) on 12th June 2008

Yeah, but got boring if you watch them too many times.

My main reason to get a PS3 arrives on June.
Getting the bundle, If I find it, and have the money by then lol.

The cut scenes never bothered me - they didn't last as long as people make out and they advance the story which is good as well. I like that they don't have all of the coolest moments happening in cut scenes only and the playable parts aren't as fun like Army of 2

I love the scene in MGS 2 where Solidus snake is claiming to be solid snake, and then after a while the real snake and otacon come up on the chopper and all hell breaks loose.

Awesome stuff

MGS3's scenes did get slightly dull but that was because they were trying to show some love story for old snake and i couldn't care less about that. I'll admit i did skip quite a few of those scenes in that game.

The codec scenes make me want to curl up and die though

MGS3 was the most perfect game I've played ever. There was a moment where you climbed a very large ladder and suddenly the secret-agent style soundtrack kicked in (instrumental version). You did nothing but climb the ladder while listening to the song. Great. You know a story is well done when moments like thsi just seem to gel. Or at the end of the game, where you were forced to press "square" against the boss. You as a player were forced to do it even if you didn't want to and you knew it was a wrong decision that would bring consequences.

Mmmm, now I remember the first colossus you had to kill in Shadow of the colossus. Only great games can move you wihtout being too explicit.

PS: I agree the codec dialogues are just too long, even for a series diehard fan.

This whole game is an April Fool.

It fools you into thinking there is any game play in between the cut scenes.

Haha - Brilliant video - though i wonder if thats going to be an alt attire?

They can't have gone to the trouble of getting it to look great just for an april fool

Just read the 1UP preview and i'm very excited after reading it.

Is it full of spoilers?

Im really interested in reading up on this game so i have a better idea of whats coming - but then again i dont want to bump into spoilers like a lot of sites and mags did with the previous games.

I've always hated the official ps magazine after they revealed how to beat psycho mantis in their review

Mgs4 Metal Gear Solid 4 Beta Confirmed for Europe Next Week

Sony today confirmed that the Metal Gear Online Premiere Beta will be launching in Europe on April 17, just days after the freshly redesigned Playstation Store goes live today. The sexy new store will also have the Lair: Diabolical Dragons Pack and Skyguard Upgrade pack as well as Warhawk: Operation Broken Mirror.

To accompany the launch, the PLAYSTATION Store will see an exciting selection of content available from 17th April, consisting of the launch of the Metal Gear Online Premiere Beta, building up to the launch of the next chapter in one of PlayStation's most loved franchises, Metal gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots. Also available will be Warhawk™: Operation Broken Mirror, a great new addition to the hugely popular Warhawk experience and Lair™: Diabolical Dragons Pack and Skyguard Upgrade pack, offering new and exciting features and functions. There will also be a collection of trailers including the latest for GTA IV, as well as a Sega Superstars tennis demo.
I expect a similar announcement from SCEA later today, mostly because they said yesterday their would be big news today.

Yea, read that in Edge.

Was VERY surprised with his comments regarding the PS3s power and generally saying it isnt very good.

(this isnt my Sony fanboyism by the way!) just think its a very poor comment from a company who's games go hand in hand with Playstation. Bet Sony are fuming - considering MGS4 looks excellent anyway.

Maybe he doesnt care as its the 'last' MGS apparantly - so perhaps he is away to do other things away from Sony.

This is the comment that gets me:-

Kojima said:
We're using the Cell engine to its limit., actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see.

The PS3 is in its infancy for crying out loud. The full potential of the PS2 wasnt unlocked for some years. To say they are using it to its full right now smacks of them not having the skill or experience on the PS3.

Last edited:

Devs always use that line - they'll either say 'were pushing the systems to their maximum' like EA... but then next year they'll give us a better looking game with more of everything .. somehow... or they'll go on about how they are so great at their jobs they made this amazingly huge game... but then had to chop a load of stuff out to fit it onto the media.

Kojimia is a bit of a miserable bugger anyway - he's never happy

mgsheadset2yw9.jpg

Kojima says he is "very satisfied with the game's final result."

In an interview for the prestigious spanish website Meristation. Kojima says he is very satisfied with the end result of his final game Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

He says: "I am very satisfied with the final result of the game and I believe the gamers will feel the same."

He also goes on to speak about the new technologies and Blu Ray capability. About which he states that "if there was more space I would have added more content like levels and characters".

At the interview he also talks about a lot more like the emotions that the gamers will experience with the game, the risks of chosing to go exclusive to one platform as well as his reasons to do so.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-139158.aspx

Funny - it was only a week ago i read he was disappointed with the final game!

The ONLY thing stopping me buying this on release is i know the shit will release a directors cut version 3 or 4 months later with more content, missions and extras as he has done in the past

Funny - it was only a week ago i read he was disappointed with the final game!

About that, from interview above (translated by google)
I have read some statements that theirs have caused great excitement in which says it is disappointed that PlayStation 3 has not met their expectations. Want to explain it better?

Yes, I would, because I do not want is extracted a false impression of my words. When a new hardware is announced and presented to us, all the designers have some expectations, we began to dream about the new possibilities that new technology will offer us and our mind flies illusion with ideas that we want to move forward immediately. Our imagination is not stopped. But when the hardware goes to market expectations that we should have done equated with the real possibilities of technology.

It is as if we believed we could achieve the speed of light, but finally we had stayed in the sound. We want to recreate the game of our dreams, but reality tells us that all expectations can not be filled. The limitations of the technology we return to this. And this is what we really wanted to say. Please spread the word to your readers well, because I know that many people have been upset by this.

Eurogamer posted a preview, seems the cutscene vs gameplay balance is on par with mgs2.........so about half the time.

Looks really good, just not sure I'll bother as msg2 put me off the franchise with so much cutscenes/codec.

Back
Top Bottom