Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) on 12th June 2008

I thought you sold your PS3?

I thought you sold your PS3?
Unfortunately i have to used that money on a deposit on my hall of residence!

I have take care of the important things in my life that'll shape my future.

Hopefully when i'm 25 it'll pay of and i'll start earning £40,000 a year. :-D

MGS4 = 10/10 from OPM

5FCE5437A57145A39211AFDC49C94CE7.jpg

13959DFA07134F92B3240A312366A151.jpg

damm too much spoilers in that video. iw ont watch a single trailer of this game anymore

Thomas these links are just too tempting.. it's killing me I can't help but watch them :((

Last edited:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/23/breaking-metal-gear-solid-4-to-have-really-long-cutscenes/

Breaking: Metal Gear Solid 4 to have really long cutscenes

If you haven't been getting along with Metal Gear Solid's blend of neck-snapping stealth and expository blabbering, the fourth (and sort of final) game in the series is unlikely to sway your opinion. CVG reports that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots features 90 minutes of cutscenes and... wait, hang on. It doesn't contain 90 minutes of cutscenes, but rather, alleged 90-minute cutscenes. If your interest or your attention span doesn't stretch that far, you'll probably have a better time watching a Slinky make its way down a short flight of stairs.

Removing the element of sensationalism, however, it should be noted that the article fails to mention where said lengthy cutscenes (which can now be paused) fall within the game. For all we know, they're at the end -- you know, when you're done playing. Even so, this revelation is unlikely to turn away longtime series fans. If anything, we suspect it'll have them even more interested. We certainly are!

In other "Why am I waiting so long?" news, alleged images of a Metal Gear Solid 4 store display box have surfaced online, showing a required 4.5GB installation. We've requested comment from Konami.

Ha Ha no shit like every metal gear before it play for 5 mins only to have to watch a 20 min cutscene or worse a 20 min chat on the phone device

theres no way the game will have 90 minute long cutscenes.... just no way

8/10 from EuroGamer.

9.9/10 from IGN, but then we all know what IGN thought of PES 2008 ... and it IS Konami again ...

Last edited by a moderator:

In return for letting us play Metal Gear Solid 4 before its release, Konami issued us with a list of things that we're not allowed to discuss. This list of prohibited topics is pretty long, and even extends as far as several facts that the company itself has already made public.

That right there says the reviews are nonsense. How can people fairly review a game if they can't describe the game fully and give a proper impression of the game if they have to leave bits out?!

I wonder if the flaws (if any) in this game will reflect in the scores from the reviews unlike GTA IV. :THINK:

Interestingly EuroGamer also gave Gears Of War an 8 and that's still acclaimed as being one of the best games of all time.

They are honest with their reviews and don't BS readers.

ign uk has just given this game 9.9/10 what did eurogamer give gta4?

didn't like that the review gave away the thing about your pad... if you get me. it didn't add anything to the review other than the smug 'we know something you don't know' --- reminds me of the bastards who gave away the trick to killing psycho mantis, grey fox in the room with all the glass and the location of the codec on the 'back of the box' during their reviews (OPM!)

i didn't read any of the reviews properly, just the conclusion and the score. i even avoided this very thread because it contains TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many spoilers here

MGS4 print reviewers asked to not disclose install time, cut scene length, reports MTV

MTV Multiplayer's Stephen Totilo, who has been doing some great coverage of the game reviews industry this week (seriously, go check it out), reports that he's heard from two gaming media sources that say that Konami had some rather odd restrictions for Metal Gear Solid 4 print reviews. Namely, that they avoid the topic of the game's installation or the length of the cut scenes.

The 4.5GB installation is listed on the box itself, and the cut scene length was brought up in IGN UK's review. "One of those things that Konami doesn't want us to talk about is the 'total length of cut-scenes,'" reads the review, which later goes on to say that cut scenes encompass about half the game's content. Whether or not these restrictions are true remain to be seen (they certainly aren't true online). We'll have to keep an eye out as the print reviews start showing up.

Source
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/30/mgs4-print-reviewers-asked-to-not-disclose-install-time-cut-sce/

I've never had a problem with cut-scenes. I can understand some people just wanting to skip them and get on with the action but I love a good story and if a good cut-scene can flesh it out, then I'm all for it :)

To recap: Konami are imposing restrictions on what publications can and cannot talk about when reviewing Metal Gear Solid 4. No mention of 90-minute cutscenes please, and while you're at it, no talky-talky about install sizes either, K? IGN are cool with that. EGM, refreshingly, are not. Due to "limitations Konami wanted to impose on our comments", the editorial team decided to refrain from giving the game a score, and in lieu of a "review" posted a lengthy roundtable discussion about the game instead. It's hardly a gloved fist on an Olympic dias, but it is nice seeing somebody do something about such an...unsavoury practice.

http://kotaku.com/5012146/egm-refuse-to-review-mgs4-because-konami-imposed-limitations

Edge scored this 8/10..

They say graphics are bad in close-up when looking at the character models.

90 minute cutscene quote from EDGE

'The cutscenes here are sure to invoke that thousand yard stare, two inparticular coming perilously close to the 90 minute mark. but thats the price of admission - they can be paused skipped now, but at the cost of half of the experience - which for the fanswill seem more like a gift.'

Opening act is the best part
- Not a game for MGS outsiders
- two cut-scenes near the 90 minute mark
- The Beauty and the Beast Unit are in the shadow of the MGS3 Cobra Unit.
- Camera flow effortless between 1st and 3rd person view
- Control system has "at last" the ideal balance of intuitvness and range.
- Game can be played for months rather than days.
- MGS4 is not the game it could of been, nor the game it should have been if you believed the early trailers
- But is very faithful to its fans and delivers without equal in so many ways.

Already there are certain PS sites saying Edge and Eurogamer have not had review copies and are lying.

Its pathetic..

Last edited:

Certainly a very odd situation - both the previews and reviews.

Its almost as if the game is 'awful' and Konami have a gagging order on the press to save face/sales. Yet its getting good marks.

How on earth they can justify (not just one!) 90 minute 'cut-scene/feature film' is beyond me. As a gamer who doesnt get a lot of time to play games, I wanna jump in and out. If I have to have no option but to sit and watch a long cut scene, or skip it and miss a big chunk of story, then I am having serious doubts on this and may cancel my pre-order.

Maybe thats what reaction Konami are scared of....

I've cancelled my pre-order, I'm going to wait for some "proper" reviews from gamers instead of these dodgy "reviews".

Gonna get Civilization Revolution instead.

Back
Top Bottom