Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) on 12th June 2008

Thing is Im ok with the odd 30 second cutscene which shows something major happening... but not watching tonnes and tonnes of them with lots of Dialogue that is hard to keep up with. If thats what is contained in this game I might have to give it a miss.

No 90-minute Cutscenes in MGS 4, Says Developer

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53008
"There are no 90 minute cutscenes in [Metal Gear Solid 4]," associate producer Ryan Payton informed Kotaku. "The ending is long, but 90 minutes is a gross exaggeration. And here I thought gamers liked long endings!

....Payton said that "the game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts."

He further noted that "reviewers are [now] welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times," though the developer asks that writers "not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences."

I never could see 90 minutes cut scenes being real at all. It just seemed like anti MGS fans bullshit to me... and so it was!

No 90-minute Cutscenes in MGS 4, Says Developer

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53008

I never could see 90 minutes cut scenes being real at all. It just seemed like anti MGS fans bullshit to me... and so it was!

Thing is Rad, it wasnt 'fan bullshit' and rumour - the quotes were taken from supposed hands-on reviews (like the one in Edge).

Ah well, we'll know soon enough - my copy will be here tomorrow.

Hands on reviews always talk shite - I've said it a million times before but you can read it here as well

IGN's GTA SA Review where they mention picking up hitch hikers and other stuff that wasn't in the game

http://uk.ps2.ign.com/articles/559/559560p4.html

---

I caught PlayR the other day and they were reviewing HAZE and they were moaning about the script writer for the game and saying the entire storyline is boring and drags on and that it has long boring cut scenes that go on and on for minutes - yet ive finished the game and i cant think of any cut scenes that drag on and on. And the story i thought was fine.

It's almost like the world has a hard on for bashing PS3 games

Yeah but thats IGN, Edge have always seemed to be independant and balanced. Same goes for eurogamer. Also why would they all be saying the same thing if it wasnt true?

"There are no 90 minute cutscenes in [Metal Gear Solid 4]," associate producer Ryan Payton informed Kotaku. "The ending is long, but 90 minutes is a gross exaggeration. And here I thought gamers liked long endings!

....Payton said that "the game requires an eight minute install, as well as a number of two to three-minute installs between acts."

He further noted that "reviewers are [now] welcome to discuss the length of the cutscenes and install times," though the developer asks that writers "not get too specific about the cinematic times and what happens in later install sequences."

Also this is a good way of denying the rumours at first glance but actually not. He, the rep, can mean cutscenes are in-game sections and they are not 90min. However cinematics (loaded videos outside the ingame sections) are not to be discussed............To me thats sounds like conformation.

But MGS never uses pre rendered CGI style cut scenes - it's always been in game.

The only time i can think of videos was in MGS1 where they used real footage quite a bit to explain some of the more technical stuff like the nukes when that old geezer is about to die really early on.

-

We have one mag saying 2 cut scenes come to around 90 mins long - another saying one cutscene is 90 mins - another saying all the cut scenes come to around 90 mins (which is crap because mgs 1 and 2 had something like 4 hours of cut scenes including codecs) and then the devs say no 90 min cut scenes.

Yeah thats a good point, however I cant help get the feeling that they are using the terms cut-scenes and cinematics to mean different things and therefor being able to dismiss the 90min comments. You can see in here how much of a problematic point it is.

Got the game this morning and have been playing it for a few hours already. All I can say is this game is deep. Absolutely outstanding and worth the wait.

For those umming and ahhing about getting it, seriously get it, it's well worth it.

ShopTo posted yesterday, I'm assuming there?

Incredible mate. Aside from the gameplay itself, the graphics and surround sound are outstanding.

Get yourself a DualShock 3 if you don't already have one, because it's brilliant with this game.

No DS3 for me :( ... the price is a bit too much for a bleeding joypad when i could buy a game for the same

Yeah got mine for £28 on eBay, only took a week to come in the end.

Ha nice one. I mainly play my mates online so think I'll stick with the one.

Can't access Metal Gear Online, I don't think the servers are up yet

Last edited:

I've had this all morning and though not really that hot for it, I must admit I'm really looking forward to playing it now.

I've installed it and downloaded the MGO patch - gonna play it at lunch for an hour!

Shopto?

My brother just got his from play who up until todays result have been shocking with games to him

Ok, when I said 'play for an hour' of course I meant 45 mins of video and 5 mins of play time!!!

LOL, it was very enjoyable though - for someone who isnt a big fan of MGS, I've been suitably impressed so far. Lots of action, lots of immersion - the sound and graphics are great as you'd expect. Think this game could actually live up to the hype!!

Really looking forward to getting stuck into it tonight now... damn Euro's!

nope from my good old trusty play.com :P

edit: to anyone whos playing the game, does it contain the latest 2.4fw update?

Last edited:

No johnny, no update :(

Looking like next week if various PS3 rumour sites are to be believed.

Think one I read had a quote from Sony saying the update wasnt coming tomorrow (which they took as a positive as he could have also debunked all the rumoured features, which he didnt!)

Back
Top Bottom