Metal Gear Solid 4

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) on 12th June 2008

The servers are up and running now for Metal Gear Online

Can anyone confirm if MGO plays exactly the same as the beta?

I'm too into Battlefield to really care about MGO - but if they're really improved it i might have a look - if it's as dull as the beta then i'll pass.

I really didn't like the slow walking, the bad aiming, the terrible lock on, the bad grenade throwing mechanism and how a full round of ammo couldn't stop someone at point blank range.

Just got it! One of the greatest games ever. FACT. :)

Can anyone confirm if MGO plays exactly the same as the beta?

I'm too into Battlefield to really care about MGO - but if they're really improved it i might have a look - if it's as dull as the beta then i'll pass.

I really didn't like the slow walking, the bad aiming, the terrible lock on, the bad grenade throwing mechanism and how a full round of ammo couldn't stop someone at point blank range.

Yeah way better than the Beta Radiation. The speed has improved and the guns seem a lot better and grenade throwing in general is fine IMO. The one thing that is grating a bit is the reload times of the guns.

People have already found decent sniping spots which is annoying aswell, but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it.

too...tired...too... typeeee...

MGS4 = very good. Lots of stealth and very clever bits n bobs. Music, atmosphere & cut scenes (longest about 5 mins so far) v.good.

enjoying big much... now sleep :(

damm i had a power cut last night and only played for an hour LOL

Even considering I am not a big MGS fan, as a gamer of over 20 years, I can appreciate quality.

Playing through only act one of MGS4 last night, I was blown away. Ok, the actual gameplay mechanics haven't changed that much since MGS1 and it can still be frustrating (to me anyway), but you cannot help but fall in love with MGS4.

The much discussed cinematics, whilst high in number and length, are superbly done - I'd say the best I've ever seen. There are times when you could be watching a high-budget Hollywood film - and by this I mean its the little things that suck you in. The texture of the characters skin, the way their hair and clothes move realistically in the breeze etc - squint slightly and its movie quality.

For anyone worried about not having played any MGSs before - dont be. As I mentioned, I'm not a big MGS fan and despite completing the first, I only had fleeting looks at 2 and 3 and dismissed them as 'same old, same old', so the back story is lost on me.

What Konami (and really Kojima) has done is make a story that stands alone - is gripping (thus far) and action packed, meaning newcomers to the MGS story arc will be able to pick up this game and run with it quite happily. Then for the obssessed, there are telling nods to past stories, names of characters that whilst work in a standalone game, will instantly conjure memories of Metal Gears past.

Then finally, for someone in the middle like me, there is an option to watch a 're-cap', a flashback if you will on the dialogue currently being spoken. So if you want to reaquaint yourself with the backstory, even for a newbie, its there.

But let me get back to my point before this turns into a review thread!

Metal Gear Solid 4 CAN sell the PS3, I now have no doubts about it. I pray that Konami keeps it exclusive to Sony - at least for as long as they can.

It gives the PS3 a real unique IP and one I imagine 360 owners will look on with in envy. And I dont want to turn this into ANOTHER 360 v PS3 thread, my point here is for us all to get better games, each console needs good exclusives to sell the hardware and MGS4 will do that for PS3 alone.

I think as a game, it would feel out of place on the 360. I know MG has travelled over to M$ in the past, but MGS4 'feels right' for PS3. Its mature, sharp and the interface is suitably futuristic, encompassing the general feel of the PS3 and its probable more mature audience.

Its heartening (for me as a PS3 owner only now), to be able to play a game almost made for the system and I would lose a bit of that special feeling if it finally ends up in the 360.

So in closing, despite GTA4 being huge and some other superb games in the PS3 catalog (like COD4, GT5p, GRiD etc), I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is already shaping up to be the best game on the system.

I may well get some flak for that, considering I've only had it 24 hours, but I hope I've got enough experience in gaming to know a good thing when I see it and once others get their hands on it today, I'm sure they will echo the same.

Enjoy!

Well here are my first initial impressions on mgs4. I managed to have a quick go before my whole local area got a power cut :S

Anyways from my initial impressions OMFG this has to be one of the best opening acts of a game ever! The first half hour of the game is a mixed bag of cut scenes and you getting to control good old solid snake and introduces you to the story and your main mission. Quality stuff and the cut scenes are some if not the best cut scenes i have ever witnessed in a video game. I might actually watch the whole 90min cut scenes when that comes along!

Now let’s discuss the actual game play. It feels just like the previous mgs games. He can move fluent and smooth just like past games. The sounds are immense and imagine it being truly amazing on a proper 5.1 setup. The opening level truly shows how amazing the sound effects are. Graphically its no crysis, but it’s acceptable to the fact that it looks like gta4 without the jaggy edges and lack of AA in it.

The AI in this game is very impressive indeed; i was lying down on the floor using the special octagon suit which camouflages your whole body to whatever texture you lean against! Anyways has i was on the floor pretending to be dead a guard spotted me, went towards me and kicked me in my gut to see if i was dead or not!

All and all this game is very good but i will make my final verdict of weather its better then gta4 in a couple of weeks time for me to get a good feel of this game but i can tell you this. This game has probably the best openings sequence of a game ever.

Some of the guard stuff is proper funny...

"HUH!? A robot? On the battlefield?" as he gives it a good booting!

Totally agree with the opening act - not just the cut scenes etc, but the escape through the town is very tense (trying not to spoil too much, but you will know what I mean when you play it).

And one of my favourite bits so far is when you have to walk through a collapsing building, the camera shifts at awkward angles to give the impression of the instability of the surroundings, its just superb and you find yourself tipping your head left and right - which puts you right in Snakes shoes.

Final mention for the rumble - yay for DS3! Superb :)

Well here are my first initial impressions on mgs4. I managed to have a quick go before my whole local area got a power cut :S

Anyways from my initial impressions OMFG this has to be one of the best opening acts of a game ever! The first half hour of the game is a mixed bag of cut scenes and you getting to control good old solid snake and introduces you to the story and your main mission. Quality stuff and the cut scenes are some if not the best cut scenes i have ever witnessed in a video game. I might actually watch the whole 90min cut scenes when that comes along!

Now let’s discuss the actual game play. It feels just like the previous mgs games. He can move fluent and smooth just like past games. The sounds are immense and imagine it being truly amazing on a proper 5.1 setup. The opening level truly shows how amazing the sound effects are. Graphically its no crysis, but it’s acceptable to the fact that it looks like gta4 without the jaggy edges and lack of AA in it.

The AI in this game is very impressive indeed; i was lying down on the floor using the special octagon suit which camouflages your whole body to whatever texture you lean against! Anyways has i was on the floor pretending to be dead a guard spotted me, went towards me and kicked me in my gut to see if i was dead or not!

All and all this game is very good but i will make my final verdict of weather its better then gta4 in a couple of weeks time for me to get a good feel of this game but i can tell you this. This game has probably the best openings sequence of a game ever.

damm i dont have teh ds3 but i imagine it being immense in a game like this! does anybody know a good buyer in amazon where i can buy it and get it sent to me asap :P

damm i dont have teh ds3 but i imagine it being immense in a game like this! does anybody know a good buyer in amazon where i can buy it and get it sent to me asap :P

Oh man, you gotta get the DS3 - even if just for MGS4, let alone the fact its much weightier than the orginal Sixaxis...

Got mine from 'playasia' I think - took 7 days from payment.

Even considering I am not a big MGS fan, as a gamer of over 20 years, I can appreciate quality.

Playing through only act one of MGS4 last night, I was blown away. Ok, the actual gameplay mechanics haven't changed that much since MGS1 and it can still be frustrating (to me anyway), but you cannot help but fall in love with MGS4.

The much discussed cinematics, whilst high in number and length, are superbly done - I'd say the best I've ever seen. There are times when you could be watching a high-budget Hollywood film - and by this I mean its the little things that suck you in. The texture of the characters skin, the way their hair and clothes move realistically in the breeze etc - squint slightly and its movie quality.

For anyone worried about not having played any MGSs before - dont be. As I mentioned, I'm not a big MGS fan and despite completing the first, I only had fleeting looks at 2 and 3 and dismissed them as 'same old, same old', so the back story is lost on me.

What Konami (and really Kojima) has done is make a story that stands alone - is gripping (thus far) and action packed, meaning newcomers to the MGS story arc will be able to pick up this game and run with it quite happily. Then for the obssessed, there are telling nods to past stories, names of characters that whilst work in a standalone game, will instantly conjure memories of Metal Gears past.

Then finally, for someone in the middle like me, there is an option to watch a 're-cap', a flashback if you will on the dialogue currently being spoken. So if you want to reaquaint yourself with the backstory, even for a newbie, its there.

But let me get back to my point before this turns into a review thread!

Metal Gear Solid 4 CAN sell the PS3, I now have no doubts about it. I pray that Konami keeps it exclusive to Sony - at least for as long as they can.

It gives the PS3 a real unique IP and one I imagine 360 owners will look on with in envy. And I dont want to turn this into ANOTHER 360 v PS3 thread, my point here is for us all to get better games, each console needs good exclusives to sell the hardware and MGS4 will do that for PS3 alone.

I think as a game, it would feel out of place on the 360. I know MG has travelled over to M$ in the past, but MGS4 'feels right' for PS3. Its mature, sharp and the interface is suitably futuristic, encompassing the general feel of the PS3 and its probable more mature audience.

Its heartening (for me as a PS3 owner only now), to be able to play a game almost made for the system and I would lose a bit of that special feeling if it finally ends up in the 360.

So in closing, despite GTA4 being huge and some other superb games in the PS3 catalog (like COD4, GT5p, GRiD etc), I think Metal Gear Solid 4 is already shaping up to be the best game on the system.

I may well get some flak for that, considering I've only had it 24 hours, but I hope I've got enough experience in gaming to know a good thing when I see it and once others get their hands on it today, I'm sure they will echo the same.

Enjoy!

Now considering GTA IV never made an impact on 360 or PS3 hardware sales I cant see how MGS4 will. I think you will see PS3 get a bump in sales for a month or two but thats about it.

MGS franchise has never been a game for the causal gamer.

Now considering GTA IV never made an impact on 360 or PS3 hardware sales I cant see how MGS4 will. I think you will see PS3 get a bump in sales for a month or two but thats about it.

MGS franchise has never been a game for the causal gamer.

Maybe not so much here, but in Japan I'd expect to see a massive rise in PS3 sales - but then thats selling ice to the eskimos.

Maybe not so much here, but in Japan I'd expect to see a massive rise in PS3 sales - but then thats selling ice to the eskimos.
well 360's are selling badly in japan and the wii and ps2 are currently selling like hot cakes therer

I am not too sure you know. PS3 is selling less then 10k a week so yeah it will see some kind of bump but there is now way it is gonna do crazy sales over long term.

Winning Eleven, Minna no Golf, Virtua Fighter and Dynasty Warriors are all bigger franchises than MGS but when released they never really caused a shift in sales for PS3.

But anyway my friend is picking this up today ad I havnt got PS3 so I am round there tonight.. :)

Last edited:

I am not too sure you know. PS3 is selling less then 10k a week so yeah it will see some kind of bump but there is now way it is gonna do crazy sales over long term.

Winning Eleven, Minna no Golf, Virtua Fighter and Dynasty Warriors are all bigger franchises than MGS but when released they never really caused a shift in sales for PS3.

As massively popular as I know those games are in Asia, are you saying they are bigger than MGS? I'm not trying to be clever or funny - genuine question!

I know Snake appears in adverts on Asian TV - thats pretty big! :D

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is one of the most anticipated PlayStation 3 games to date. Hosted by Konami, Best Buy in West Hollywood along with Virgin Megastore In Times Square, NY are opening their doors just prior to midnight on June 11 to allow fans the first opportunity to get their hands on Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Additionally, a special event at the PlayStation Store in the Metreon in San Francisco two days later on June 14 will take place from 4-6 pm. At all three events, fans will have the opportunity to meet the extraordinary talent behind this instant classic, including Series creator Mr. Hideo Kojima or the voice of main character Solid Snake, David Hayter, along with Producer Kenichiro Imaizumi and Associate Producer Ryan Payton, as well as Ms. Yumi Kikuchi, one of the real-life models used as the template for the game's fearsome enemies known as the ''Beauties.''

The fourth installment of one of the most popular video game franchises of all time, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots features a cinematic experience and visual masterpiece that will break new ground for the stealth-action genre. The Metal Gear Solid series has been around for more than a decade, sold millions of units, and has garnered critical acclaim worldwide. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, a PlayStation 3 exclusive, pushes the graphics and gameplay of the franchise to new heights.

Fans will be able to purchase a standard edition version of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots ($59.99 SRP) at the events, as well as a PlayStation 3 Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle, which includes a 80GB PlayStation 3, DualShock 3 Controller and a copy of MGS4 ($499.99 SRP).

Details on the autograph events in your market include:

LOS ANGELES:
Best Buy
1015 N La Brea Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90038
(323) 883-0219
WHEN:
Wednesday, June 11
11:45 pm - 1:00am
TALENT APPEARING:
David Hayter (Voice of Solid Snake)
Producer Kenichiro Imaizumi
Associate Producer Ryan Payton

If you have any questions that you want to ask the producers, please let me know!
I will put the review as soon as possible, this night I'll be playing this game

More news here:
http://www.gamingaccess.com/index.php?game_title=Metal Gear Solid 4

Check out the amazing screenshots from Metal Gear Solid 4
I took a picture of the guy that makes the voice of Snake, pretty awesome. We had to wait for 2 hours

Videos coming soon!!!

Here is the legend:
IMG_2032.JPG - Guys waiting 3 hours before midnight at GameStop

IMG_2034.JPG ,IMG_2035.JPG,IMG_2038.JPG,IMG_2040.JPG - Party for Media Only

IMG_2052.JPG, producer.jpg - pictures from the producer while I was waiting in line

IMG_2054.JPG, IMG_2054_snake.JPG - Pictures of the voice of Snake!!!

IMG_2070.JPG ,IMG_2073.JPG ,IMG_2065.JPG,IMG_2074.JPG - autographed souvenirs, GamingAccess shirt, PS3 game, and the ultimate version of the PS3 game, autographed by the Konami team, and the original XB business card (used in the media party), plus my game tag. That is an awesome memory

http://www.gamingaccess.com/index.php?news_id=12840

As massively popular as I know those games are in Asia, are you saying they are bigger than MGS? I'm not trying to be clever or funny - genuine question!

I know Snake appears in adverts on Asian TV - thats pretty big! :D

Yeah they are all bigger franchises than Metal Gear Solid.. Gonna be interesting to see software sales worldwide in general. MGS2 sold between 6-7M and Snake Eater did about 3.5m

Well, I've barely played much of it, but I already love it.

The first next-gen game (360 or PS3) that I haven't been immediately disappointed with.

Still has the touches that make these games great, one of Meryl's soldiers has an exclamation mark as a haircut, and Johnny Sasaki (Akiba) is here.

Wonderful stuff.

EDIT - is it bad that I think Meryl is hawt?

Last edited:

Just been reading and watching spoilers of the storyline on the internet. The story's much more complex than I thought! :w00t:

Hahaha, brilliant mate.

The messages on the install screens are making me chuckle.

And I love the fact he's got a SIXAXIS to control the Mk.II.

Naomi's fit too.

Last edited:

£35.00 at Blockbusters until Monday, im gonna pick it up later and trade Euro 2008.

Got £27 for Euro and had £9 credit.

Last edited:

I like the segment where snake and otacon are talking after he ... erm... anyone who has finished Act 1 will know what i mean. I smiled when i saw something in the cutscene there.

Meryl is the spit of someone but i cant place it - someone famous.

Graphically this game is stunning - the skin on the models at times is shockingly good - a few times in the cut scenes ive seen a close up of snake and thought 'holy shit!'

The enemy we see through act one as well and at the start of 2... freaky!
-

I LOVE THE WAY YOU GET NEW GUNS!!!!!

I can tell already this game will get better and bgetter with more play throughs.

Everyone seen whats in the 'extra' menu on the main menu? That's cool!

Quick point though

What the fuck is that intro all about?

anyone likely to be around tonight for some MGO?

Yeah I thought she looked like Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark (minus the blonde streak)

metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20070712014600775_640w.jpg

xbox_360_perfect_dark_zero.jpg
Joanna_Dark_Zero_Camo.jpg

If anyone wants to put me on their buddy list for MGO my Game ID is 'MattSmith' - got in there early with that one. MGO is so addictive, spent a good 4 hours on it today on and off.

I'm flying through the single player, on Act 3 already. But I really don't want this to end too soon so I'm backing off a bit.

Last edited:

I like the segment where snake and otacon are talking after he ... erm... anyone who has finished Act 1 will know what i mean. I smiled when i saw something in the cutscene there.

Meryl is the spit of someone but i cant place it - someone famous.

Graphically this game is stunning - the skin on the models at times is shockingly good - a few times in the cut scenes ive seen a close up of snake and thought 'holy shit!'

The enemy we see through act one as well and at the start of 2... freaky!
-

I LOVE THE WAY YOU GET NEW GUNS!!!!!

I can tell already this game will get better and bgetter with more play throughs.

Everyone seen whats in the 'extra' menu on the main menu? That's cool!

Quick point though

What the fuck is that intro all about?

Just finished Act 1 (4hrs 37) and was just getting into the gun shop/upgrades. Love the way you upgrade guns by customising the model etc. I really want a grenade launcher for my M4!

They've made that a really clever mechanic with the shop - makes you want to explore and collect everything as it all gets converted to cash for Drebins shop.

Anyway, was falling asleep during the end of Act 1/Start of Act 2 so I've had to turn it off - more tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom