Home (PlayStation 3)

The EA room looks great!! I best get on Home and have a look around, haven't been on it for a couple of weeks now. Do you have to pay for the Red Bull planes? I can't remember.

no its free - but if you cant find where to stand to PLAY - just press X and if you're looking at someone moves left/right and usually it will turn to face the game

You're not missing much. It's fun when there are a few of you online together and you are using it to arrange a game of Warhawk. But no other games support game launching yet.

Bowling and pool are alright but they're not going to drag you away from a real game of COD or Fifa where you can arrange a game quicker by just sending a pm and then sending an invite.

In an interview with Develop, the team behind PlayStation Home has admitted that they think the virtual world was announced too early.

Game director Peter Edward said that outside developers, targeted to create third-party content for Home, became wary when they realised how far it was from completion after its announcement early in 2007.

"Initially, there was real excitement from people, because we were showing something really different and that had a lot of potential," Edward said.

"And then there's the realisation that, well, we probably announced it too early - GDC 07 was a long time ago. I think there was sort of recognition amongst developers of 'Oh, this is interesting, but there's still a lot of work to be done.'"

Home went through numerous subsequent delays, with Sony eventually succumbing to the public pressure for some kind of launch by opening its beta to all users last month - without much third-party content in place.

However, Edward is convinced things are going to get better - and today's news of EA support would seem to bear him out.

"The feedback we've been getting is that, in the early days, it was a bit thin on the ground in terms of support and tools, but now it's mature and everybody's starting to produce some really interesting stuff," Edward said.

Elsewhere in the interview, Edward and lead programmer Mitch Goodwin talk candidly about the development Home, revealing that it started life as a lobby system for The Getaway: Black Monday on PS2.

"We recently found a bit of code which had weapon pickups in it; it was legacy from back in the day when the target was very different," Goodwin said.

I wonder if that means we might get a deathmatch area in home with weapons?

As someone said on a podcast many moons ago, they should of made The Agency as Home, and just used that.

Poker and golf look nice, can't wait to have a go on the driving range! Also, the racing booth looks awesome.

Last edited:
what Home needs is game launching and specific game locations for MOST popular online games. This shit should have been launched and made at its state right at the begining of ps3's release. if so then i can bet you my crusty old 360 that Home now would of had loads of features and locations

where is the ability to play and watch any divx movie thats stored in your ps3 and view and watch it with others from home?

Last edited:
It was as buggy as hell in the early betas so it was removed until they could get the rest of the stuff working properly. They were saying the other day in an interview that they released home too early because of the pressure from PS3 owners - and revealed it too early to the public - instead of doing what everyone does and show it off when it's a couple of years into development they were pressured into showing it off in its beta stages.

It must suck to be told 'right you're going to make an online application for the ps3, it's going to be free and it's going to shown off to the world in a few months so get cracking!'

It was as buggy as hell in the early betas so it was removed until they could get the rest of the stuff working properly. They were saying the other day in an interview that they released home too early because of the pressure from PS3 owners - and revealed it too early to the public - instead of doing what everyone does and show it off when it's a couple of years into development they were pressured into showing it off in its beta stages.

It must suck to be told 'right you're going to make an online application for the ps3, it's going to be free and it's going to shown off to the world in a few months so get cracking!'
like you said, they should not have revealed it soo early on. revealing it mid last year would have been appropriate and releasing it around feb/march of this year would of been ideal but this Home was revealed 2 years ago so you cant blame ps3 users for wanting it now.

I understood everyone wanting it ages ago as I had no idea it had only just been made. I assumed it had been in development for a few years prior to the PS3 release especially as it was said originally an idea for a PS2 game (which they said the other day was Getaway 2).

But now I know it's only been in development as long as we've known give or take a few weeks to months I'll probably not be as harsh on them and cut them some slack. It seems every day they're taking about something new coming, and seeing as hardly any big games are ever released between now and next September they have a load of time to add in cool features for those games.

killzone 2 and RE5 springs into mind but yes in general there is not much big titles out between now and september.

Home has the potential to be huge but it will take a while before it happens

Yeah I agree I wish they would have waited to be honest. I think it has, well KNOW it has the potential to be brilliant, just at the moment, especially for us EU players who have less on theirs than the US players, there's not much to it at all except a bunch of perverts and a couple of half decent games [bowling and pool] that could be better.

That would be a great feature.

Is it possible to watch 2 players play a 1 vs 1 game in FIFA 09?

I don't think you can spectate... i'm sure it was asked eiher this year or last and they said you couldn't yet.

Capcom Japan has announced plans to support PlayStation Home with Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5 content, including costumes and a themed game space.

Famitsu (interpreted by Joystiq) has the news and some shots, showing some striking authentic Street Fighter costumes and an impressive recreation of Resident Evil 5's African village setting for Home avatars to explore.

Street Fighter IV will also get a post-release patch adding support for Home's game launcher, so players will be able to jump straight into SFIV bouts from the virtual world.

As with the recent SF outfits for LittleBigPlanet, the costumes will be for sale from the PSN store - along with, we assume, the decorative Street Fighter and Resident Evil figurines shown in the shots. The Resident Evil 5 zone, meanwhile, will host themed events.

Whether this content will be coming to the US and European version of Home is unconfirmed, but we'd be very surprised if it didn't.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/street-fighter-and-resi-5-are-home-bound

Both Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil 5 will allow PlayStation Home matchmacking along with lounges and various pieces of content. I hope more games start to support it soon.

Warhawk Command Centre will be launching this week in PlayStation Home. The news comes from the Destination PlayStation event thats taking place today in the US.

In a talk at the Game Developers Conference today, Jack Buser, director of PlayStation Home in the US, revealed that the social network will be launching three promotional spaces a month from here on in.

"You'll see about three new spaces launched a month - I'll be shocked if we ever go under that number, we have so much in the pipeline," Buser said.

He mentioned that a recent "good space" (we're guessing Resident Evil 5) had a quarter of a million visits a week in the US, with 75 per cent of visitors spending more than 10 minutes there - something that far exceeds consumer's usual involvement with advertising, he argued.

Space devlopment takes four to six months, and Sony has new technology that can't be seen in any space currently in Home, Buser said.

Buser's talk, "Developer opportunities in PlayStation Home", amounted to a sales pitch aimed at developers and publishers.

"Online games consoles have had the concept of the friends list for some time," he said, splitting online friends into two groups - those you meet online, and those you know in real life.

"We noticed at Sony a problem with the friends list with the first group - you don't really know them. We wanted a place, a neutral environment, where players could go and really get to know each other outside of the context of a particular game," said Buser.

"If you look at some of our competition, they really struggle with the idea of community, how to foster a community on their platform. Home is the true community for PlayStation 3," Buser said.

To back it up, he revealed some figures: Home has crossed the 5 million user mark worldwide (it was 4 million last we heard), of which North America accounts for 2.2 million. Average session duration is around 40 minutes. He declined to publicly state unique users per month or week, or concurrent users, however.

He strongly encouraged developers to consider supporting Home game-launching, which he said he expected to take off as quickly, and become as essential to gamers, as Trophy support. "Going forward, it's going to seem like something's missing if you don't have it. I can't stress how important game-launching is." Support for this feature is, currently, very limited.

He also talked about the brisk trade in virtual items in Home, and asked marketeers to consider them as a way to advertise and make money while they do it.

Free items were possible, Buser said, but "we always encourage people to do paid items. Why not make the money?" Buser asked.

"What else can you buy for 49 cents? You can't even get a cup of coffee. It's great value for the gamers."

Its funny seeing this guy in charge of Home, he used to be on a podcast that I listen to.

I read on the PS Blog about the Guitar Hero space and was intrigued but then I watched the video...I'm still waiting for a good reason to pay another visit to Home.

Its funny seeing this guy in charge of Home, he used to be on a podcast that I listen to.

I read on the PS Blog about the Guitar Hero space and was intrigued but then I watched the video...I'm still waiting for a good reason to pay another visit to Home.
yea i agree. i hardly go on it TBH. im not into social chat crap with random people online. i've grown out of that but i gotta admit, Home does have huge potential.

it would be great if fifa10's dressing room was a Home Space. now you got me and others interested in

Back
Top Bottom