Home (PlayStation 3)

Edit - I found out what the monthly fee is for from eurogamer

You can probably forget about Clubs to be honest, since Sony is charging GBP 3.99 for the privilege of forming one. Not only that, but in the future - some time after 31st March 2009, according to the blurb - you'll be charged a monthly fee to keep your Club running. That's before you even consider the costs of setting up a club house and furnishing it with cool stuff.

So I told them all to feck off, that im from the UK and that I own the cinema. I was then called a paedophile. Hilarious. :LOL:

Now we know who to blame when the USA folk start slagging off the UK people saying they're ruining home

Last edited:
Why is everyone so shocked that you have to pay for stuff?

They were never gonna make this free with all the stuff in it they could make money from

Same as avatars for 360 i bet they get new clothes soon and you have to pay for em

Now that its finally out I can't understand why and how it took ages to be released, all that time has passed and right now there is barely any content.

Right now it comes off as wasted resources.

i didn't find anything fun in Home except the bowling and pool. other than that you only see bunch of retards dancing around the garden. me myself wearing a weird costume,and every people come and ask me where did i get those. and i don't know where i get those. haha

Why is everyone so shocked that you have to pay for stuff?
Because the prices are a joke. Yeah, pay for stuff for it, no problem I can see why, but the amount you have to pay is extortionate to say the least. I mean paying £4 and then maybe a monthly fee for a room where all you do is just meet up and talk? Piss take if you ask me.

I think the main annoyance is they've been going on about how it's free and now it turns out the free stuff is basically you walking around and then quitting and loading a game up.

I don't hate the idea of a payment scheme for clubs as it will mean there will be less and less clubs set up by plebs. But at the same time why would anyone want to buy and use a club when you can do the same thing in your personal spaces?

it's the biggest waste of effort ever. They would be better actually putting the resources into making matchmaking and playing with friends as straightforward as 360.

What a joke. overhyped bollox

Mine finally logs in, but nothings changed. Well, apart from all the free stuff for our houses we could download in the closed Beta is now around 79p each item... that's it. All this time they've had and it could be 23487237 times better. Though I do like it, it could be so much more.

Sony brainstorming with the Home community

PS3Fanboy writes: Sony kept saying it, but we finally understand what they meant when they said that Home would be expanded "based on consumer feedback." A SCEE community manager, MusterBuster, started a thread on the European PlayStation forums, trying to figure out why people were congregating around the PSP-3000 adverts all the time. After learning that people enjoy dancing to the advert's music the thread quickly evolved into a discussion of how best to deliver more music to Home users.

Suggestions came in many forms, such as a jukebox (as can be found in the US Home Plaza), downloadable podcasts, or a live radio show. The latter seemed to elicit the biggest response, with suggestions including live DJs, gaming news segments and "PSN in" (rather than "phone in") competitions. We'd like to think that all of these ideas are now being discussed internally at SCEE. Hopefully we'll see something come of the discussion relatively soon (though, setting up a radio show won't happen overnight).

Why would anyone pay 25 pence/50 cents to buy a virtual lamp to put in a virtual home when you can play the sims online for free etc.
Remember when Konami tried to charge you to play as certain clubs online in the first multiplayer Winning Eleven.
Said it before and said it again the asains have no idea about online gaming.

Said it before and said it again the asains have no idea about online gaming.

But this was mainly developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE). Phil Harrison was in charge for the core of its development when he was head of Worldwide Studios.

Home has been hacked - report

The Telegraph is reporting that Sony's PS3 virtual world, Home, has already been hacked.

"Developers" have apparently found a "security loophole" that allows them to upload any file to, or even delete files from, the Home server. This makes it theoretically possible for hackers to spread viruses through the social software, or try to force it offline.

Other hacks are said to allow users to download files from the Home servers (such as another player's avatar), change the text and music, or use the in-game screens to watch their own video files. Apparently this is possible using the Apache web server and DNS redirection, which might mean something to some of you.

A post on the EU forums though says;

The people who have done this have basically done the following.

When their version of Home has connected to the internet to download a video, they have reprogrammed a router to trick Home into downloading a video from a different web server and so Home displays their own video rather than the correct one.

Any hacking they have done is local to them and will only show results on their PS3.

Its the Telegraph getting its knickers in a twist about something it doesn't fully understand - they should stick to stories about Princess Diana.

Last edited:
Bandai-Namco announced today that, starting tomorrow, Japanese users of PlayStation Home will be able to enjoy casual chats with viral marketers and Sony employees in a room decorated with beloved Namco game characters.

Eschewing the "inverted pyramid" structure of newspaper journalism, right here at the top of this story I'm going to tell you that Bandai's Gundam could not be reached for comment.

Screenshots indicate that the "Tekken / Soul Calibur Lounge" will look eerily like a high class club pulsating with life inside your hopefully high-definition television, only they won't care if you're wearing sandals, or no shoes at all. The screenshots also indicate that there are plenty of chairs arranged around the club with obsessive-compulsive straightness. When the lounge opens, the ultra-sterile, cotton-swab-clean avatars of some fourteen dozen employees of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan will no doubt be working overtime to clog your television screen real estate with burbling chat bubbles indicating that you can open the menu and choose "sit" to sit down.

After sitting, you will be able to enjoy reading text bubbles in which Sony Computer Entertainment Japan employees inform other players that they can open their menu and choose "sit" to sit down. If you're super-special, the employee of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan who told you to sit down will say something "exciting", such as "it's so nice to be able to sit down". If he's had a bad day at work and/or maybe tied his tie too tight this morning, he might simply turn his back and see about ushering other players to seats.

If you decide to stand up and perform that jumping-jack-like dance in front of a piece of virtual Tekken or Soul Calibur art, chances are a Sony Computer Entertainment Japan employee pretending to be another PlayStation 3 owner "just like you" will walk up behind you and use literally 900 words to say "Hey there good sir; I find myself unable to fully appreciate this piece of art (COPYRIGHT BANDAI-NAMCO 1998); could you please move out of the way?"

Within the Bandai-Namco special lounge, players will also be able to line up at virtual arcade machines to play several Namco Museum classics that have also been available in the loading screens of original PlayStation games since around 1995.

Have you noticed? I'm being kind of mean! Full disclaimer: I find PlayStation Home terribly silly. Worse than that: I consider it about as hip as a virtual Scientologist convention. It would have been decent, I guess, if it'd been an unexpected extra on the PS3 at launch. As-is, I don't know, man. The moment they started giving me the quick-travel tutorial in my own "apartment", I started to get the chills. I always say, when my "Game Designer Sunglasses" are on, that if you feel compelled to put "fast travel" in your game, chances are your slow travel sucks.

"Home" isn't even a game, I know, though if you're going to incorporate one game-like element snatched from the pantheon of game design, why would you choose Oblivion's "fast travel" over, I don't know, Super Mario 64's jumping? Wouldn't Home be so much fun if you could jump? . . . Maybe?

Oh, also, they're apparently selling goods in the Japanese home now. Nippon Ichi has made several Disgaea-themed avatars available, and Namco is selling a Pac-Man T-shirt. The product description for the Pac-Man T-shirt is especially clever: "Pac-Man T-Shirt #1". There will be more! You will buy all of them, or you will not be a true fan! You will buy this shirt, you will put it on your avatar, and you will sit in the Namco lounge with your "Away from keyboard" message floating over your head twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week!

Did you know: Famitsu is more or less a mouthpiece for press releases. It is very seldom that the actual words written in their articles express anything less than turgid enthusiasm for the games on display. Usually, the articles are written by the game companies themselves. Even when the articles are written by Famitsu staff, said staff is usually "polite" enough to just say things like "Wow! We're excited!"

That said, it's looking at the caption beneath the photo of a downloadable Santa Claus suit, it's hard to imagine the author wasn't rolling his eyes at least internally:

"Sony Computer Entertainment will be making all kinds of Christmas-themed items available. Might PlayStation Home become jam-packed with Santa Clauses?"

Man, I hope so.

Sounds like something Chris Bauer would write :LOL:

Update 1.04 is now out and should resolve any connection issues users have been experiencing. I just tried it and logged in fine.

my Home froze twice in 30 minutes, even witht he latest update. i wasn't having a good time with it anyway, and I guess my PS3 found the whole experience so hollow that it fainted twice to end the agony!

Home is boring. where is the new locations and game spaces for resistence fall of man and far cry 2 that was promised to us?

Home is boring. where is the new locations and game spaces for resistence fall of man and far cry 2 that was promised to us?

:THINK: Didn't we have a debate before about this before it came out?

I said its just a novelty/fad that you would never use after the first play and you was saying the opposite

saying that it was in the 360 vs PS3 thread so you would have said anything to get one over :LOL:

Sony are on holiday over Xmas and new year JM - the new update is due to come next week or the week after. Once a few games start to support home game launching I'll use it a lot more. Warhawk works great but id like to see COD or Killzone get game support that way.

:THINK: Didn't we have a debate before about this before it came out?

I said its just a novelty/fad that you would never use after the first play and you was saying the opposite

saying that it was in the 360 vs PS3 thread so you would have said anything to get one over :LOL:
i thought that once it went public it would include more locations and game launching. i dont see a single difference to the closed beta version i was in

I bet you'll end up having to pay for these game spaces you know. I mean paying 40p or something daft for a t-shirt... don't see why they wouldn't have to cheek to charge us for them and all.

i thought that once it went public it would include more locations and game launching. i dont see a single difference to the closed beta version i was in

That'll be because the beta was to test the servers - after that they worked on getting them stable enough so they worked without log in problems and so on. Then it was holiday time for Christmas and new year and they're not back in work yet.

Sony's mandatory list of additions to games will have only just passed a few days ago - so new titles released from now onwards should include home support and trophies and so we should see a lot more updates and extra items in home linked to those.

I'm not sure what the point of the game spaces were - I thought they'd be there for gamers to meet up. So if you want to play warhawk you go to the warhawk area to chat with like minded people. I don't think they're there to add anything massively new to home like the bowling alley.

ea_home.jpg

I haven't been back since the launch, I'm going to check it out now.

EDIT: I got ahead of myself, its not there yet.

I can't believe people have spent $1million in HOME!

EDIT: Trailer here

It probably won't be fully realized until the 2010 sports games come out.

Last edited:
That looks great - I hope to god they do some cross support with EA world and have goal of the month things play on the tv. That would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom