Gran Turismo 5

Re: Gran Turismo 5 pd interview

If its true ? idont know, but if its, yes sony will be pissed off:

A PD Member:

We were personally actually quite surprised by the raitings it got, we expected lower! We know the game doesn't show all the dev time we've put in to it, but we're working on that.

We did have a near finished product when we released prolouge, we were looking at a period of about 8 months before release.

Then Sony demanded the entire game be 1080p, 60FPS. We had it coded at 720p, 30FPS.

Sadly no more space for the systems we developed, so they're on the sideline. They'll be released as DLC eventually, but Sony pushed for a release now (PS3 sales need a boost for xmas).

We ARE working on feedback though, and things like this keep coming up (along with DRM on saves, crappy menu design etc) and they will be improved through DLC if everything goes according to plan.

As for Premium/Standard, Kaz wanted over 1000 fully modeled car, but as I said before Sony rushed the release so we had to import the low poly GT4 models and upscale them a bit.

It was ambitious, but it would've worked. We had just enough power to work with to get everything in (including 3D crowds/trees and all cars as premiums).

The Yaris will appear in the used car dealership.

The Vitz is a new car and a premium model, it's a Yaris by another name.

Yes, there are more model specific races this time round. New events will be added via DLC, the first ones will be races with bhp limits (250, 350, 500).

-Standards upgraded to premiums (higher poly models, dash view, changeable rims etc).
-Brake tuning will be added
-New tracks are being worked on
-New races/championships will be released that are BHP limited, not manufacturer limited.
-There will be an as yet unnanounced update to online play (I can't say more than this).
-B Spec and replays will get fast forward buttons.
-Some more stuff I can't say yet

It's a common complaint, and it's being worked on. Priority for audio just now is to give the user their own BGM on menus as well as in race, to equalize the volume of in-race user BGM and to give a more seemless transition of audio when you change screens.
Some new engine sounds are being worked on too.

Sorry nothing I can do there. We are in the process of setting up dedicated race series though (this is the next stage in online development) to allow users to run their own series, just like those in A-Spec. Some of these will have rewards for the best racers.

There will be some old favourites brought back from earlier in the series, but I can't say which yet - it's a surprise!
We didn't want to just offer upscaled tracks so we're redesigning them from scratch. They look fantastic so far!

Exiting the menus is awkward right now, I agree. It's planned to make the "O" button take you right out of a menu and not have to press "X" to confirm every time, but it's not a high priority at the moment. There's always the "My home" button for when you're in A-Spec/B-Spec.

-Load times can't be fixed, it's due to the amount of data that has to be loaded from the disk, and we can't speed that up. If it's REALLY slow, disconnect from PSN. Equally if you have a slow internet connection menus will lag, since we've programmed online integration in both since and multiplayer.

-There's plans to release several new "Home Screens" and allow the user to choose the layout that suits them best. Not a priority though, we want to sort out the gameplay first.

-Jazz music, might not be everyones tastes but it was chosen at team meetings. As I said earlier, soon you'll be able to replace the background BGM with user BGM so it won't be an issue.

-Delievered cars are being worked on as a priority. Chances are the fuction will stay but the cutscene will be skippable.

-As for loving your own music, it'll be equalized in volume across all tracks soon, and you'll be able to change tracks in game, so it should get even better!

The conformation pop-ups are there because of Sony. Apparently people get all pissy if we don't warn them they're about to do something, so we don't really have a choice on all of them, but some will go. We did try though.

Everything will be released sequentially, bit by bit in different patches for those on slower internet connections (each patch will be no bigger than 150Mb).

As I said above, we had to import the AI system from GT4 with a few tweaks. We have a whole new system almost ready to go but Sony's requirements for 1080p/60FPS means we couldn't get it done on time. It'll be available in patch in due course.

DLC won't be announced until it's up and online. This way if it's delayed a bit we don't get people moaning again. We want it perfect, especially after the criticism the game has got.

Wait and see. New cars will be available via DLC *eventually*. Most likely these will cost.

We were pressured in to a release by Sony who really need to boost PS3 sales this xmas. This title is a console seller, hence the rush.

All standard car sounds were imported from GT4 (with a bit of tweaking on some).
When they become premium cars the engine sounds will be updated too.
As for the engine sounds on premium cars, they were recorded specifically for GT5. If they don't sound good, get a new setup because in the test labs here they sound fantastic

NASCAR sounds were taken from the cars themselves. If they sound bad get a better speaker setup. As far as we're aware there's no EQ issues with engine noises but we're looking out for them in case they do crop up.

Can't change the rims on standards because they're completely different models to the premiums. High poly wheels on a low poly car would look crap. When they're upgraded to premium you'll be able to change wheels.

Phototravel isn't available for standard cars because the low poly count means they look bad if I'm honest. Jagged door frames, poor shadows, low quality textures.... we don't really want people taking pictures of those and spreading them round the net when we're working on making all cars premium, would give a false impression.
Photo travel will be available to all cars when upgraded to premium.

3D was a Sony requirement, to show off their new Bravia TVs (there will be bundle deals with TV/PS3/GT5 soon). Because of that we had to up it to 60FPS and Sony want the 1080p, again to show off the new Bravia TVs.

Go Karts were planned from the start for a bit of fun, I quite like them personally. They may have more use later on, just wait.

8 months after prolouge we would have had a finished game (at a much higher quality than the current release) but Sony gave their demands so we had to agree, hence almost 3 years of working our asses of to try and get what they wanted.

If it doesn't it'll be EQ or compression issues, and we'll certainly want to know about it. We check all the community boards daily so if it's posted on there we'll see it. Like I said they're all genuine recordings and no major issues reported so far.

GT3 was the last one really designed for users without a wheel in the high spec races. Wheels have become much more commonplace now, so it made sense to start catering development towards them.
GT5 is so much better with a wheel but only once we get the update out.

Like I said, wait and see what tracks are coming Who knows, there might be quite a nice collection of classics.

It'll be easier when everything is premium and you have the option of buying each car used or new (Lupo will be listed under the VW dealer).
The used car dealership will be getting a makeover with new "Sort By" options (Manufacturer/Price/Age/BHP etc). It'll still update just as often though, so it'll be no easier to get a second hand Lupo, but you'll be able to buy a new one (at a premium of course).

-Kaz likes the Skyline. He's not going to budge on that. Ever. His choice.

We can't say because they'll get flooded with comments of people wanting to contact us.
Lets just say if it's well known, we check it.
I can say we check the GT5 forum on the PS3 boards, but not and 3rd party ones (if it's a big community, we watch it).

t was debated, but Kaz sees GT5 as his own baby, he wants to nurture it for a long time, so waiting out until GT6 would mean several years of waiting. Sony wanted 1080p NOW for the new Bravia series, so we had to give in.
GT6 isn't even being worked on just now, we're probably looking at future gen consoles for it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
my statement:

My tipp? Go to MS and create it for the 360!!!!

Mr. Yamauchi,

Pd is your Baby, also GT IS YOUR BABY!

Sony is nowhere without good games, so, create GT5 Again, in720p, 30FPS!

You don't give a shit for us who have Paid!

And i will no longer give a shit on GT!!

Well if that's true it's great news and I would be very interested in GT5 again. Obviously this is taken with a pinch of salt, but sounds plausible and explains a lot.

Yes, this will explain a lot, when i see fro GT to GT5, the last one is a not finished game, thats not possible after
all i have read, all the trailers! after all Yamauchi ha said in Interviews!

But i will see if we have to pay for the Downloads, that will Piss me of, and then this was my last GT!!!

Yes, this will explain a lot, when i see fro GT to GT5, the last one is a not finished game, thats not possible after
all i have read, all the trailers! after all Yamauchi ha said in Interviews!

But i will see if we have to pay for the Downloads, that will Piss me of, and then this was my last GT!!!

Where did you get the information from, mate?

I get it from a German GT Page! I don't Know if it is a Fake, but It sounds logical!

There were a lot of German Interviews with YAMAUCHI, Germany is a Big Market, so i will hope this is real.......!

There was a smaler Interview who he says the same things, without giving the red Card to Sony.

The Point is now we get Download files, I December we get the Option to turn off Demages in Menu!

After this they will release a full update of the Cars, all Car will be Premium, after all this truble, i think the Problem was changing the Game to HD1080 !!!

Sony is ridiculous!

Last edited:
I get it from a German GT Page! I don't Know if it is a Fake, but It sounds logical!

There were a lot of German Interviews with YAMAUCHI, Germany is a Big Market, so i will hope this is real.......!

There was a smaler Interview who he says the same things, without giving the red Card to Sony.

The Point is now we get Download files, I December we get the Option to turn off Demages in Menu!

After this they will release a full update of the Cars, all Car will be Premium, after all this truble, i think the Problem was changing the Game to HD1080 !!!

Sony is ridiculous!

So i think this will be the last GT on PS3....... Yamauchi is pissed off with Sony, he wanted to release the Game on Pc and maybe as Multiplattform.....!

Sony say PS3 only, so i Hope it will be like RE4, it was Gamecube only, we all new what happened,

Is sony Owner of polyphony Digital?

Lets see what will happen!

i read somewhere a few years ago that PD hinted it wanted to bring gt5 into the pc platform as they pretty much were limtless to what they can achieve in a modern gaming pc.

lets be honest guys, pc's wouldnt have any tearing, graphical or framerate issues and also all those lovely photo mode shots of cars could be easily rendered in rea time gameplay in a modern gaming pc.

'crap'

'pissy'

Sounds amateurish and fake.

They were hyping Prologue and the GT HD trial game as 1080p for years themselves so it seems strange for them to take a step back away from it and develop GT5 to run at 720 and only bump it up when Sony tell them to.

Kaz has already stated 'this is the beginning' and they will be releasing constant DLC on a weekly/monthly basis - so I dont doubt this could be correct info.

My only concern would be where they would make any money from it. I can only imagine as its a 'PS3 Seller' that Sony would be subsidising some of the budget.

If they constantly work on GT5 now, where is the benefit for them, especially if Sony's demands have already cost them 2-3 years unplanned work.

Anyways, I hope its true because it will be awesome and if it does happen, then massive props to PD for wanting to get the best product they can out for us.

Kaz has already stated 'this is the beginning' and they will be releasing constant DLC on a weekly/monthly basis - so I dont doubt this could be correct info.

But he said that ages ago and then this info comes along and just adds to it. That doesn't mean that this info has any greater chance of being legit. It just means that took legit promises and comments from PD and added to it.

Speaking of rumours and promises...
I'm sure there was a post in this thread pages and pages back that had tons of rumoured content. I wonder how much of that ended up being true.

Is it true that if you smash your car you have to pay to fix it before you can use it again?

Yea, kind of.

Its a feature I really like - you've got a garage where you can change the oil in the car (has an indicator of how dirty it is - and an oil change will give you extra BHP for the car). You can also rebuild the engine once it gets old.

You can also wash it :)

And finally you can restore the body work/chasis frame if it gets damaged - this will be more vital at later levels when the damage kicks in.

i read somewhere a few years ago that PD hinted it wanted to bring gt5 into the pc platform as they pretty much were limtless to what they can achieve in a modern gaming pc.

lets be honest guys, pc's wouldnt have any tearing, graphical or framerate issues and also all those lovely photo mode shots of cars could be easily rendered in rea time gameplay in a modern gaming pc.

They did say something a couple of years ago about releasing it on PC, but it will never happen as it wouldn't generate enough sales as not many people buy PC games anymore.

They did say something a couple of years ago about releasing it on PC, but it will never happen as it wouldn't generate enough sales as not many people buy PC games anymore.

tell that to dice's bad company 2 which sold millions on the pc platform

The game totalled around 2.9 million sales on all formats.
53 percent of BC2 sales went to the Xbox 360 version, followed by 31 percent and 16 percent of sales for the PS3 and PC.

That is my argument although some people do still buy PC games, I myself only play games on PC when they are multiformat.
But if GT5 came out on PS3 and PC 80% of the sales would be PS3, not to mention how many potential sales may be lost due to PC piracy.

But as you said this was just mentioned by someone a couple of years ago so very unlikely it would actually happen anyways.

The game totalled around 2.9 million sales on all formats.
53 percent of BC2 sales went to the Xbox 360 version, followed by 31 percent and 16 percent of sales for the PS3 and PC.

That is my argument although some people do still buy PC games, I myself only play games on PC when they are multiformat.
But if GT5 came out on PS3 and PC 80% of the sales would be PS3, not to mention how many potential sales may be lost due to PC piracy.

But as you said this was just mentioned by someone a couple of years ago so very unlikely it would actually happen anyways.
Assuming bsmaff's numbers are correct, BF:BC2 on PC sold 464k copies.

Not "millions" :FAIL:.

I'm sure an EA report said that BC2 has sold 5 million copies.

What is the sound like in this game?

Sold over 6 million on all platforms - Link.

This site accumulates all registered copies of the game (allegedly) - http://bfbcs.com/
PC - 32%
360 - 37%
PS3 - 31%

Of course though, piracy and multi-accounts on systems could play a part? :)

ha, i thought it was way over 2m copies sold in all platforms. seems i am near the mark as stating how bad company 2 sold over or close to a million copies on the pc

Dice even said at launch day their was more pc users online then the ps3 and 360 players combined

Rob92 = :FAIL:

anyways my point is all this bullshit on how pc games dont sell well at all is complete utter nonsense.

If a game on pc is very good it will sell well. PC gamers tend to be VERY picky with games and dont get easily pleased with console ports and 5 hour SP games or sequals with next to no innovative/new features presented in the game.

GT5 could easily sell around a million if not more as their are plenty of racing fans on the pc platform.

At the end of the day, console games are made on the pc first and foremost and converted and run in a console machine. i remembered how the latest final fantasy game was debugged and tested on a pc which then led to rumours of it coming out on the pc.

if gt5 came out on pc i would get it in that easily. no tearing, no framerate issues, better textures and graphics, potential mod support, and potentially larger car grid and the ability to race with over 20 players online lag free.

o and cheaper to buy and quicker to load(on a ssd :) )

yup PC is my choice of gaming at the moment. :)

Last edited:
I don't really see the point in that video either. Both games look very similar, neither handles crash damage in a realistic way.

I think the lighting and track-side objects look better in Forza 3, and the car looks a little better in GT5. But this is just one car on one circuit so it renders the video kind of pointless.

The fact that the games look similar is a credit to Turn10 and what they have done with the Forza series on a (so-called) less powerful console. But at the end of the day it's about the gameplay, right?

if its all about the gameplay then why do people rate fm3 higher when most say the physics and handling is better on gt5

Do they?

I've not played GT5 yet so can't comment on driving physics but I've heard (and seen in the videos) the AI is pretty poor whereas it's decent enough in Forza 3. Perhaps comparison videos should concentrate on physics and AI first and foremost?

I think the other thing Forza 3 has in it's favour is it's graphical consistency and just a general feeling of a polished, finished product.

EDIT - the reports of great physics and handling is the only reason why I'm still looking to buy GT5.

Hopefully my copy will be arriving on Monday.

I had Forza 3 and enjoyed it, spent hours online and on the career mode. I found it quite easy though, even with assists turned off. The AI was OK and all, but this game shone online.

I imagine the same is with GT5, can't see much different with the offline career mode to say GT4 (aside from a few extras here and there), so the majority of my time will be spent online which I be heard is great - when it works.

Back
Top Bottom