Gran Turismo 5

o and just for laughs
GT5_w.jpg

Makes a change from the gimp suit, Jonney.

Play GT5 on PS3& PC "early next year"

"Early next year", you'll be able to monitor a Gran Turismo 5 race from your PC, and even issue basic commands such as 'enter the pits' or 'overtake'.

Your PS3 game will still need to be running, however, and you can control it with a limited list of commands through a PC web browser.

Gran Turismo 5 creator Kazunori Yamauchi is "sorry to keep you waiting" but hopes to release this feature "early next year", according to Kotaku's translation of his tweet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-08-play-gt5-on-pc-early-next-year

Is anyone here playing Gran Turismo 5 with the Logitch Driving Force GT wheel?

I have the GT wheel, mounted on my playseat evolution. I bought it when GT5 came out and loved it. So much so, that I then fancied a G27 which is supposedly better, which I have also just bought a few days ago.

I immediately set the G27 up on my playseat and spent a day or two using it. Suffice to say, it is now reboxed and on eBay... It's a good wheel, no doubt, but I prefer the GT. It is certainly not £250 better, that's for sure. The fact there is no G27 settings specifically in GT5, (although it seemed to work perfectly out of the box), coupled with the fact that I didn't like using the clutch and prefer the sequential shifter on the GT, as opposed to the h-shifter on the G27, is what turned me off it.

In a nutshell, I have both the GT and G27, and my wheel of choice??? GT... By a country mile!

Hope this helps in your decision...

I have the GT wheel, mounted on my playseat evolution. I bought it when GT5 came out and loved it. So much so, that I then fancied a G27 which is supposedly better, which I have also just bought a few days ago.

I immediately set the G27 up on my playseat and spent a day or two using it. Suffice to say, it is now reboxed and on eBay... It's a good wheel, no doubt, but I prefer the GT. It is certainly not £250 better, that's for sure. The fact there is no G27 settings specifically in GT5, (although it seemed to work perfectly out of the box), coupled with the fact that I didn't like using the clutch and prefer the sequential shifter on the GT, as opposed to the h-shifter on the G27, is what turned me off it.

In a nutshell, I have both the GT and G27, and my wheel of choice??? GT... By a country mile!

Hope this helps in your decision...

Thanks for the info. I've already decided on the GT as I can't really justify the spend on a G25 or G27 even though they do look fantastic. I used to own the predecessor to the GT on the PS2 and that was a great wheel and felt well-built which helped make up my mind.

I'm slightly shocked that you prefer the GT over the G27 though. I think you're the first person I've come across that feels that way. I know the G27 gets a lot of love from the racing enthusiasts at AVForums. The G27 does have paddle-shifts, right? Can they be used with the clutch or is it only the h-shifter?

Yeah, the G27 has paddle shifts, as opposed to two buttons on the back like the GT.

Maybe if I'd spent more time, id have liked it more, but tbh, I really did prefer the GT. I didn't noticed ANY difference in the FFB. I prefered the fact there was just a brake and accelerator, with just the right amount of resistance that I can play comfortably in my socks! I actually had sore ankles using the G27 pedals, although I'm aware that these can also be adjusted for position and resistance.

I never tried using the clutch and paddles, defeats the purpose, but the time it took to change gears manually using the shifter/clutch combo was too much. If they had a sequential in the G27, which was the clincher for me with deciding to hang onto the GT, I'd have probably kept it.

There were more positives with the GT, than with the G27. Btw, price was never an issue, just comfort and the right 'feel'...

You'll love it! Certainly don't think that you are getting an inferior wheel, cos you absolutely aren't!

I had the G25 and now have the DFGT.

Out of the two, I probably prefer the GT for a variety of reasons. Cost mostly.

The 'G' series are real top end I dont think I justified playing with it enough to do the price justice.

No doubting being constructed mostly of metal, its the sturdier wheel - but as MJ says, not much if any different in the FFB.

I also really wanted the clutch and H-Shifter - which are great, but I think its a case of going 'too realistic' and it becomes an exercise in frustration rather than being an enjoyable 'game'.

I did love having the clutch and proper shifter, but the GT is far more accessible and fun to use for the everyday gamer IMO.

Both are great wheels, but with the GT at £80 (or less) I cannot see how it can be overlooked.

Regarding the G25/27 Vs Cheaper wheels...

The main massive advantage of the G is the sheer speed of the motor, that is so necessary for fine control and car feel. You CANT do 3:12 of the video "let the wheel go and catch it" with cheap wheels unfortunately- their motors spin waaay to slowly. And this near instant feedback translates to all sorts of situations not just drifting.
YouTube - Drift Bible Project D 3/4 - Slalom/Manji Drift Practice - Best Motoring International

YouTube - Logitech G25 Calibration

Last edited:
Regarding the G25/27 Vs Cheaper wheels...

The main massive advantage of the G is the sheer speed of the motor, that is so necessary for fine control and car feel. You CANT do 3:12 of the video "let the wheel go and catch it" with cheap wheels unfortunately- their motors spin waaay to slowly. And this near instant feedback translates to all sorts of situations not just drifting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG0Ra3xJpvk

yup exactly. theirs a reason why 9/10 say the g25 is far superior than the cheap wheels. logitect aint ripping you off mate by "just adding" clutch support. the g25 wheel does everything better then your cheap £80 one.

likewise. loving b spec mode as i can earn credits while getting read for work in the morning, cooking dinner, watching footy on tv or playing another game lol

Hopefully nothing but I doubt it.

Seems the game is "out" but the actual complete game is some way of being finished and their still working on it like a title in production.

At what cost to the customer though.

That's my worry too. I have a feeling PD will provide some standard-> premium upgrades out of courtesy but will charge for further upgrades further down the line.

Whatever way you look at it the whole standard/premium scenario should never exist in the first place, and the consumer shouldn't be made to pay mistakes made during the development of the game. If PD/Sony really want to save face they will continue to provide free upgrades to GT5 for all the things they left out of the retail copy.

just a heads up for anyone on the lookout for a logitech g27. there are now in stock at logitech, for £249, but you can get a 20% off code by filling out a simple online recyling form, and you then get the wheel for £199.20!

fill out this:

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/349/7016

then go buy the wheel with the code you get after completing the form...

good luck!

Well, not entirely. It's part of their recycling scheme, so if you must send something back, you can buy an old mouse on eBay for a quid, but lots of people just get the code and never bother...

I've now sold my copy.

Just not enjoying it at all. Spent a good 20 hours on it and I've unlocked quite a few cars, but the races just aren't interesting enough. I feel like I've done it all before on previous GT games. Online doesn't have much appeal either.
Perhaps I'd enjoy it more with a wheel, but I just feel a little bored of driving games.

Back
Top Bottom