Gran Turismo 5

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by ThomasGOAL, 27 May 2007.

1. MonkeyJug

MonkeyJug Steering 747s Up Above U!

15 December 2001
    Southampton
    Glasgow Rangers
    i finally got gold on the international C license IC-10 test last night, after about 3 hours of trying!

that was bloody tough!

i've now completely golded the first 4 licenses... :)

2. Radiation

Radiation Golden Boot Winner

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    Gran Turismo 5 has received a meaty 608MB patch.

This, patch 1.05, is available now, but we're still unclear on what's inside.

A gargantuan thread on NeoGAF cites early findings as the optional removal of a HUD, back-up saves, online events, online car dealerships and mechanical damage offline.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415162&page=75

3. airjoca

airjoca International

29 July 2003
    Amadora, Portugal
    SL Benfica
    Eventually, you won't have a big enough HDD for GT5... :LOL:

4. pboreham

pboreham Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.

5 August 2002
    C*lchester
    Southend Utd
    Yea, they will sell "GT5 PS3 Edition" that just used the whole HD for GT5!

5. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Legend

1 January 2004
    Arsenal
    New patch is mega!

6. bsmaff

bsmaff International

11 August 2003
    Welwyn Garden
    Exeter City
    So exactly just how UNFINISHED is this game?

7. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

Nice update.

8. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    I guess it depends what your expectations were... but I think the only 'unfinished' things are the upscaled cars and tracks.

9. pboreham

pboreham Kick. Snare. Hat. Ride.

5 August 2002
    C*lchester
    Southend Utd
    Thats a cool update - online XP and rewards is a biggie.

10. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Legend

1 January 2004
    Arsenal
    yup exactly.

11. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    I like the news that you can back up your save files... but ONLY use them on your account... so you can't transfer to an alt account or someone else's PS3.

Everyone else should learn from this.

12. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Legend

1 January 2004
    Arsenal
    really? so game saves are locked via the psn?

13. Radiation

6 February 2006
    Widnes
    Newcastle United
    that's what i read on that Neogaf forums. that the saves can be backed up ... but they will not work if you copy to another profile or another persons console. it only works if you back up and then use on your own username. i don't know if anyone tested it but quickest way to double check is play the game on an alt account - back it up, delete the save then copy back onto the alt account and see if it works.

14. jaygrim

jaygrim TheAllSeeingEye

26 July 2005
    Everywhere.
    Man Utd
    Thrustmaster has unveiled the £400 official steering wheel for PlayStation 3-exclusive simulation racer Gran Turismo 5.

The T500 RS wheel and pedal set is said to be optimised for GT5. The wheel weighs 4.6kg; the pedal set 7.3kg. The gearshift levers, the wheel's central spokes section (30cm in diameter) and the pedal set are all entirely metal.

The wheel itself offers 1080° rotation. A motorized stop means the three full turns are adjustable. The magnetic sensor-based H.E.A.R.T (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) is incorporated into the wheel's steering mechanism. The wheel has 16-bit resolution and 65536 values on its steering axis.

The spacing and height of the pedal set is also fully adjustable, and allows for two driving positions: floor-mounted F1 style, or suspended GT style.

There's even a textured foot rest, also metal. The Force Feedback mechanism is "vigorous, fast-acting and extremely responsive". An independent gear stick will be available to buy in the coming months.

"The goal that I set for the Thrustmaster team was to design for me the most precise wheel ever developed, without any latency – to accurately reproduce the sensations of GT5, and let users truly feel the emotions experienced by drivers on real racing circuits," said Polyphony Digital boss Kazunori Yamauchi.

The T500 RS launches in Europe and North America on 5th January, and in Japan on 25th January. It carries a suggested retail price of €499.99 (VAT included),which works out at around £425.

15. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Legend

1 January 2004
    Arsenal
    sod that. i rather get a g27 wheel and a 3d 1080p monitor for that price

16. mjsmith2k

mjsmith2k Come on you Reds!

5 November 2005
    Nottingham
    Forest, Bulls, Patriots
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. mjsmith2k

mjsmith2k Come on you Reds!

5 November 2005
    Nottingham
    Forest, Bulls, Patriots
    Looks good, but too pricey.

18. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Legend

1 January 2004
    Arsenal
    way to pricey. just get a g27 wheel MJ

19. StayingPower

StayingPower Premiership

2 April 2006
    Houston
    Manchester United
    How do you adjust the difficulty? I chose medium (or intermediate?) at the start of GT Life, but it's a bit too easy right now.

20. MonkeyJug

15 December 2001
    Southampton
    Glasgow Rangers
    You can't. What events are you finding too easy?

Try Golding the specials, or the licenses. Some of those are far from easy. Otherwise, if it's A-Spec you're finding easy, try racing with a car that's got equal or less BHP than the suggested line-up of opponents. Ie. It's easy to win the Sunday Cup if you choose the GT-R V-Spec '09, but slightly more difficult if you choose the Toyota Yaris!

Last edited: 27 December 2010
  21. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Golden Boot Winner

10 June 2003
    Ipswich, England
    Ipswich Town F.C.
    Ok, I'm going to eat humble pie. I got Gran Turismo 5 for xmas and it's an excellent game. It's a bit of a rough diamond like PES2011 - it has it's fair share of flaws and disappointments but it gets the important things right. The driving physics in GT5 are about as good as it gets on a console and that's the most important thing to me.

My main issue with the game is the lack of a class/rating system for the cars like Forza has. In A-Spec I haven't got a clue what level the other cars are at and some races are far too easy because my car is so much faster. It's a big oversight in my opinion and could ultimately turn A-Spec into a bit of a grind. Luckily the special events are good fun. Strangely I'm finding the camper van race on the Top Gear track quite enjoyable.

I also picked up the Logitech DFGT which as expected is a great wheel, being the official product and all. I love the sequential gear-shifter and find that I'm using it more than the paddle buttons. Now I just need to sort out a stand as a plank of wood across my lap is not a long term solution.

22. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

Glad to hear it mate. :TU:

23. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza Legend

1 January 2004
    Arsenal
    Get a wheel stand pro

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

24. MonkeyJug

15 December 2001
    Southampton
    Glasgow Rangers
    there is an option to view 'typical opponents' at the race screen... Choose the bhp of your car depending on how easy you want the race to be...

25. Jamezinho

10 June 2003
    Ipswich, England
    Ipswich Town F.C.
    True, I just think it could have been done better and made clearer. The whole game is full of strange design choices though. It's not the most accesible game really and the menus are a bit cumbersome, but in a way I quite like the fact that the game doesn't hold your hand so much. GT5 is definitely a game for sim fans only.

Forza has the superior career mode in my opinion, it does a better job of matching up cars and suggesting events that are compatible with the car you are using. But I can still see myself ploughing many hours into A-Spec regardless because the driving experience is such good fun.

26. Jamezinho

10 June 2003
    Ipswich, England
    Ipswich Town F.C.
    Sorry for the double post but did you lose all your game data Billy?

27. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

Yeah I did. My hard disk became corrupted on my 250GB PS3. I tried to save the data on it but it didn't work so in the end I had to format it. Lost 3 years worth of stuff. All my game saves from Resistance to MGS4 to PES 2011 (ML and option file data) and all my GT5 and Need For Speed stuff too. Now I have to start from the beginning again with those games!

Plus all my music that I used for in-game custom soundtracks and my PES 2011 chants are gone, all my films and trailers and also all my PSN games (which I have to now re-download) and demos. Really annoying as I was planning on backing up my save data at least just last week but sadly I had lent out all my USB sticks. Next time I will backup my data at more regular intervals.

28. Jamezinho

10 June 2003
    Ipswich, England
    Ipswich Town F.C.
    Fuck's sake. Sorry to hear that mate.

I think it's time I backed up my data after reading this.

29. BillyBoy

BillyBoy Guest

Yeah I really recommend backing up your save data at the very least mate. It only takes a couple of minutes. God knows what I would have done if my MacBook hard drive went with all my work, pics, music, films, books and religious documents on it. I think its time I invest in a 1TB external HDD.

30. OPM

OPM ...

2 June 2003
    Budapest
    if you haven't done so, use seasonal events if you want to level up quickly. the races there are not the easiest but the reward is high, both in credits and xp points.

boosted my a-spec from 16 to 21 in just a day with that.