Gran Turismo 5

I don't think football games tend to be very good at arcade games lately, not like games from years ago.

NBA Jam is a great arcade alternative to NBA 2K11, the same does apply to other game genres.

I love my sim racing games but I also love a good arcade racer. There's plenty of room for both. My favourite sims on next gen are Forza 3 and Race Pro but I love Test Drive Unlimited and Midnight Club: LA every bit as much, which are games at the arcade end of the spectrum.

Sometimes it's nice to cut loose from the unforgiving nature of simulations so arcade racers very much have a place for me. Definitely getting NFS:HP now after hearing the good reviews. I saw the game on demo in HMV and it looks stunning. I just hope EA pull their collective fingers out and patch in Logitech support.

Hmmm...disappointing that the general feedback has been a bit underwhelming, having been a fan of the series during my younger years.

But I'm still getting it and hopefully it will persuade me to use my PS3 more often, which has been catching dust for the last few months.

At the launch event the other night, Kaz has said that this is just the beginning and the team would be doing updates "weekly and monthly" to evolve the game.

Planned DLC includes online leaderboards and better matchmaking for a start!

That sounds silly, given the amount of time they've spent on this. The least they could have done is release a finished game.

What have they been doing for 5+ years?! Surely this kinda stuff should be a given and have been ready a LONG time ago?

That sounds silly, given the amount of time they've spent on this. The least they could have done is release a finished game.

Yup... I get the feeling that if whoever (Sony?) didnt really push the issue to get the game released, then it could have been another 5 years.

I know what its like when you're on an exciting project, you just want to keep adding cool things to it - but there comes a point when 'enoughs enough' and you have to release it.

I dont really mind actually - as long as they DO stick to that and keep improving the game (for free) then we will have lots to look forward to.

Tis like they have been smoking doobies with Seabass, except Konami had a PES release each year, just they hadnt really been that good since PES 5. Just the dudes at PD didnt release anything in that time. Then there was abit of a rush on this year to actually get the thing out, especially seeing LBP2 got delayed, Sony was just left with GT5 as THEIR only main release in Nov/Dec. And with the Thanksgiving being such a key time in the US market, they had to get it out before that.

Sony has had to limit some areas of Gran Turismo 5 while it works out a way to ease the online congestion currently crippling the game.

Sony is sorry, but the high demand coupled with GT5's constant communication with the internet is causing all sorts of problems that spill over even into single-player races.

Sony's temporary solution? Disable your PS3 internet connection.

Digital Foundry said issues are also prevalent with Gran Turismo 5's matchmaking, which often pits Minis up against Bugatti Veyrons - the world's fastest road car. And sometimes even connecting to lobbies doesn't work.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-25-sony-limits-gt5-to-ease-online-gridlock

:DOH:

I got it last night and can't believe I am dissapointed with the graphics on it.

If you pick any car other than the 200 premium ones you could be looking at a PS2 game in places.

They don't appear to have paid much attention to what has been going on around them with other racing games like Dirt 2 and Grid. Cars crash like dodgems and bounce of walls instead of actually displaying the force and damage of a crash.

It also appears to be about buying the fastest car, making it faster and then winning races through having a superior car than skill.

Update on Saturday to add some online match making features and stability.

Incredibly, they set up the data centres to handle only 500,000 connections! Considering the size of the franchise and a worldwide release, thats really stupid - no wonder it fell over.

EDIT:

Another patch on the 1st...

* More physical damage to axels, bringing leaning to left/right
* Damage in arcade mode
* Reduce the minimal framerate dips

The AI and collision physics are really PS1 stuff, they should be embarrassed by them. I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to restart a race due to being spun or pushed off track by the AI drivers, its incredibly frustrating especially when it happens on the last lap.

I am also still being shocked by how bad the graphics are, I have seen some premium cars that I thought were standard, the shadows are a joke and some of the stuff around the tracks looks like PS2 graphics.

Everything apart from these things and online is great though. You would have to be an incredibly naive person to trust reviews these days, Eurogamer gave this a 9/10!!! The game is good but the things that are wrong with it should heavily impact the score. I dont think it deserves anything more than a 8/10, which is still a good score but too often reviewers give big titles ridiculously high scores.

It's hard, because some of the things are amazing and some are dog rough.

You can see where all the care and time has gone into the game - and subsequently, where because of that time spent on the details, other important areas have been neglected.

Just watch a replay of a race from one of the internal driver views... It's just amazing. Very lifelike driver, every limb moves, it's like a rag doll - even the fingers move and the right gears are selected when using a stick shift. Plus the way the shadows are cast all throughout the interior and even the reflections on the drivers helmet etc. It's breathtaking stuff.

Trouble is, nobody really watches that - certainly not more than a few times.

It's weird. I'm really growing to love this game. Just did an awesome championship in a souped up audio tt sport and had some great races. The physics through the wheel are incredible and some of the fictional tracks are great fun. The one with the complete 360 loop in it (plus some hairy jumps!) is just brilliant.

If you can put the negatives to one side, it's a he'll of a great game now.

They are from GT5, i got them from GTPlanet. It says Gran Turismo 4 on the side because the actual car had that in real life.

Heres another pic of a standard:

gttt.jpg

I've read on GTPlanet, from a 3D guru, that this problem revolves around a bad technique done to upscale textures over the 3D mesh, I really can't explain it, but thats how many Standard cars look unfortunately.

I'll just try to stick to premium cars I guess. Future DLC will add more.

oooohhh boy...
i saw it by myself at home. absolutely unbelieveable - those graphics for standard cars are really bad, especially the artifacts.
i can't get it...
i am not a gt-fanboy, but i liked the series very much - graphic is not all for a good game, but this is very dissapointing...

It also appears to be about buying the fastest car, making it faster and then winning races through having a superior car than skill.

That's the trouble with games like this and Forza. It's all about the customisation rather than driving ability. The best races are when everyone uses the same (or very similar) cars but no-one wants to do that online.

The 1Up review mentions AI and damage improve a lot further in the game which is good. Hopefully they can patch it to get decent damage from the start. The video on the first page of their review sums GT up for me;

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3182562

It starts off looking pretty amazing but then shows how the crashes work (a Nascar getting hit full speed and only having a "parking" dent, or a Ferrari crashing through the air and bouncing about with no discernable damage. This is then followed up by the logo and tagline "The Real Driving Simulator". Made me laugh out loud. As long as they continue to not want to damage their beautiful cars it will never be a simulation.

That's the trouble with games like this and Forza. It's all about the customisation rather than driving ability. The best races are when everyone uses the same (or very similar) cars but no-one wants to do that online.

play rfactor and gtr evo then if you wan a fair race.

Must admit, had a great session on this last night.

After the Audi races I had above, I also unlocked the 2nd tier of go-karts and that was really good fun.

I think you really do have to want to love this game long term and appreciate ALL its features before fully dismissing it (like I did Day 1).

had a great session last night too...

1080p projector, onto a 96" screen. playing with a driving force GT wheel attached to my playseat evolution chair (btw, just ordered the G27 this morning from amazon for £229). played the special stage 7, at night, in the rain, with the zonda, in cockpit view... sat slap bang in the middle of my 5.1 system, configured for gaming sound output...

all i can say is: oh... my... fu@king... god...!

this game is UNBELIEVABLE. i LOVE IT!!!

play rfactor and gtr evo then if you wan a fair race.

I haven't got (nor can I afford) a gaming PC but I have Race Pro on the 360 which is a spin-off of the GTR series from Simbin. Apart from the slightly shoddy graphics it's actually a very good driving sim and was criminally overlooked in my opinion. All the cars are proper race versions so there's no upgrades, just the ability to adjust set-ups and hence the racing is very close. I may also give Ferrari Challenge a look too, as I've heard good things about that.

On another note, I saw this on the Forza forums (yes I know). I didn't realise there were standard and premium tracks in GT5 as well as cars. For some reason Laguna Seca is a standard track and look how it stacks up against Forza 3:

granturismo5_229641b7dfs.jpg

This is shocking.

Laguna Seca it's from GT4, upscaled for GT5
But GT5 look much better than Forza 3, believe me no match

That's no excuse, PD have had 5+ years on this bad boy. Nothing should be upscaled with that kind of development time. This project was far too ambitious for Kaz and what we have been given is a two-tier, unfinished product. He's the Seabass of driving sims. He knows what he's doing but struggling with next-gen tech.

Back
Top Bottom