Gran Turismo 5

Just watching the Gamespot video.

"Looks" terrible. The behind cam hightlights in one bend why the physics seem to be totally f#$ked in this game. After playing GT5P for a couple of weeks when I first got my PS3 the only way to play it is in cockpit view imo. Then you can't see how off it is. But when crashing/bouncing off walls it fails even in that view. Another annoyance of mine, which has been ever present is the complete lack of speed you seem to experience.

I can understand people really enjoying it aswell though, however it seems like a very nice screensaver to me. But then I get bored with most racing games so it was never going to be much for me.

It does seem that way. The images look great an everything, but I didn't wait five years for a photo mode.

More impressions please Ern Dog, it sounds like you're confirming my fears about the game. I hope it gets better for you.

I found the option to fully pre install the game so I am waiting on that at the moment. I am hoping that some of the terrible visuals I had seen were to do with this, that shadow I mentioned was probably the worst thing I have seen on the next gen systems and it would of looked bad on the previous gen also.

Anyone know if there are standard tracks & premium tracks? Because the two tracks I have raced on in the Sunday Cup had the look of a 'high res' port just like the standard cars.

I was thinking about the first time I played Forza on the original Xbox earlier, I had my friend round who had a PS2 and loved GT. He thought the game was crap because he could not take corners like he was able to in GT, he said that in real life you can go round tight corners at 80+ mph and that Forza was unrealistic :LMAO:
At first I found it a little frustrating but once I had got used to it it was a great game. Later when I played GT at his house I could not believe at how 'the real driving simulator' was very easy and arcade like.
This is similar to how I feel about GT5 and the Academy demo, in the demo it took me quite a while before I could do clean laps. It was frustrating but not in a way that put me off the game, the frustration was at my lack of ability. I think if my mate was here and I was able to still show him the Academy demo he would think it was crap and that GT5 was great.

Last edited:
I'm reading that the damage, handling etc gets better as you progress in your career.

Have you tried any other cars Ern Dog?

I'm reading that the damage, handling etc gets better as you progress in your career.

Have you tried any other cars Ern Dog?

YEAH!!! Kenny F'kin Powers bitches, loving the new series.

I am installing the game at the moment mate, probably got 20 mins left. I dont see why the AI would stop being as dumb as a box of rocks the further you get into the game. They may get quicker but I would still expect them to not know that there are other cars on the track, which is what really disapoints me.
Obviously the handling will change with the car but from what I have felt from the Civic it just is not all that great, alot like GT5P which was far to easy and forgiving.

One other thing, I turn all driving assists off as I usually find racing games too easy with them on. The braking is stupidly sensitve and unrealistic with ABS off, I was locking up my wheels far too easily with very little pressure applied to the pedal. When I first passed my driving test many years ago I had a Vauxhal Belmont, it had no ABS and if the braking was anything like GT5 I would be dead.

Just had a quick go.

Very poor... though its probably one of those games that gets better, but this is probably the worst first impression I've ever had of a game.

5 years in the making? They should be embarrassed.

The jaggies are just unbelievable - I'm no graphics whore, but I appreciate technical brilliance, and this aint it! Terrible :(

AI is poor, bumper cars are back - and why make the 2 genuinely interesting additions (Go-Karts and NASCAR) so easy to reach - I'd unlocked both within 10 mins.

The Go-Karts are truly awful so far - graphics are crap, no sense of speed and handles like a shopping trolly.

NASCAR looks like it could be fun though, very fast, lots of camera shake (so good sensation of speed) and graphics were better - plus a cockpit view!

Couple all that in with the 45 minute install, long load times, clunky menu and hangs (ok, to be fair that is because the online isnt enabled yet) - just makes it a disappointing package!

Overall, I'm really not digging it if you havent guessed!

(give it a few weeks, more unlocks, better AI and races etc and I'll probably love it!)

Glad i didn't get a PS3 for this now by the sounds of it so far

Hmmmm.

I dont doubt fan boys will be defending it to the hilt, but some of it is pretty indefensible! Those screen shots posted above ARE GT5.

The video of Geoff Gordon is terrible - its like PS2 standard and as the video pans round the NASCARs, there are jaggies everywhere on that too.

Really no excuse for that - its just silly to have spent this long doing all the details on the finer cars and skipping over other bits of the game.

Should have made it with half the amount of cars (or less) and done it properly.

FIVE years!! :LOL:

Hence why I picked NFS over this, just get the feeling it's the same as before and considering it's been in development for 6-7 years iirc? It's sounds very poor.

Finished installing and apart from the premium cars it still looks like a HD remake of the PS2 games, very disapointed with the visuals.

Went into the arcade mode and put the AI on the hardest setting, chose to race on Laguna Seca which is my fav track and picked the Nissan which I think was in the Academy demo and finally I have been impressed. The track is awesome, the elevation changes are very good(corkscrew is brilliant), the camber in the corners is great, patches of rough track and other things just totally impressed me. It still looks crap but the detail and feel of the track is very good, hopefully other tracks are this good.
The AI was still awful, I got a gear shift wrong coming out of the corner where the hill starts and the car behind me, eventhough he had plenty of time to avoid me just ran straight into the back of my car. It is also not very quick, I was able to make up lots of time in braking zones, through and out of corners, there is not going to be much of a challenge here.
I still feel the handling is too forgiving, although in this car it felt more like the Academy demo but not as difficult as I remember. I was able to put clean laps together after about 5 laps. At first I thought I was being too conservative but after resetting it and starting with 11 cars ahead of me I was easily able to pass upto 5th place before running off before the corkscrew.
I felt that driving such a quick car on a track I hadnt been on before(in this game) and being able to do it at a speed that would of put me in atleast the top 3 in about 3 or 4 laps with the AI on hardest is no challenge and that this does not represent a simulation.

The only feeling I am getting from the cars at the moment is from the force feedback on the wheel and I feel sorry for people that are going to play this with the controller.
I remember being addicted to certain cars in Forza 2 because I had such a great feeling from them, they were weighted very well and I had a good feel for the throttle control, this game just feels a bit dead to me.
The braking with ABS turned on 1 is very forgiving, I never felt that I was on the edge when braking and that if I applied anymore pressure it would lock the wheels up. Even if I went into turns too hot I could pretty much always stamp on the break and stop before I ran off track. I would like to turn ABS off but then as I said its just far too sensitive and unrealistic.
I have yet to throw my car into a corner at high speed and get a feeling inertia carrying the car wide. There is very little feeling of momentum or weight to the cars I have tried.
Also the throttle control feels numb, no real sensation of speeding up or slowing down and I never felt like the driven wheels were about to break loose.

I am really hoping I get a feel for the game but apart from the detail of the track(not graphically) I am still very underwhelmed.

pboreham said:
Just had a quick go.

Very poor... though its probably one of those games that gets better, but this is probably the worst first impression I've ever had of a game.

5 years in the making? They should be embarrassed.

The jaggies are just unbelievable - I'm no graphics whore, but I appreciate technical brilliance, and this aint it! Terrible :(

AI is poor, bumper cars are back - and why make the 2 genuinely interesting additions (Go-Karts and NASCAR) so easy to reach - I'd unlocked both within 10 mins.

The Go-Karts are truly awful so far - graphics are crap, no sense of speed and handles like a shopping trolly.

NASCAR looks like it could be fun though, very fast, lots of camera shake (so good sensation of speed) and graphics were better - plus a cockpit view!

Couple all that in with the 45 minute install, long load times, clunky menu and hangs (ok, to be fair that is because the online isnt enabled yet) - just makes it a disappointing package!

Overall, I'm really not digging it if you havent guessed!

(give it a few weeks, more unlocks, better AI and races etc and I'll probably love it!)
O shut up lol you pc graphics whore hehe

im getting this game purely for online play. AI in just about every sports game suck. Do you play PES offline a lot for instance?
Not particularly, but that's no excuse.

The gameplay itself (handling, physics, damage etc.) looks shite anyway and that stuff is the core of the game - it affects online as well as offline (obviously).
I may not play PES offline a great deal, but I don't even play FIFA at all, because the actual gameplay is piss-poor with no depth.

Also, racing games are usually horrible online, with people crashing and spinning you off all the time, mostly intentionally.

Hmmmm.

I dont doubt fan boys will be defending it to the hilt, but some of it is pretty indefensible! Those screen shots posted above ARE GT5.

The video of Geoff Gordon is terrible - its like PS2 standard and as the video pans round the NASCARs, there are jaggies everywhere on that too.

Really no excuse for that - its just silly to have spent this long doing all the details on the finer cars and skipping over other bits of the game.

Should have made it with half the amount of cars (or less) and done it properly.

FIVE years!! :LOL:

Is it better than Forza?

I really enjoyed that on the 360 and was why i thought about getting this

Not particularly, but that's no excuse.

The gameplay itself (handling, physics, damage etc.) looks shite anyway and that stuff is the core of the game - it affects online as well as offline (obviously).
I may not play PES offline a great deal, but I don't even play FIFA at all, because the actual gameplay is piss-poor with no depth.

Also, racing games are usually horrible online, with people crashing and spinning you off all the time, mostly intentionally.

Well have you played gt5 yet? if you are judging the gameplay based on videos then imo its not valid. You should try it out first and see if the physics are indeed awful.

yea AI should be in a sufficiant decent level for offline play. this game has a spec and b spec offline game modes which could become useless if the AI does suck.

I have not got this game yet but i have gone off the hype train the day they announced only 200 cars are premium and have full damage.

Because i am not that hyped about it, i reckon i will enjoy it just as much as forza which imo was excellent games bar forza 3 which felt like forza 2.1.

Dont forget. it wasnt long ago i was slagging off some of the videos of the damage in this game :COOL:

I just plugged my PS3 into the interwebz and started up GT5 and it installed a game update, it was about 250mb I think.
I went back onto Laguna Seca with the Nissan and this feels alot like the Academy demo, I like it. Its much harder now, I tried attacking the track like I did before the patch and I am constantly running off going into the turns. I also have a greater feeling of speed and acceleration. Overall it just felt like a much better driving experience. There is also a extra option to turn on realistic grip at the edge of the track and dirty parts.

Going back to play more, just wanted to let you guys know that the average game I was describing before is not what I am getting after the patch.

I dont know if the update I installed had this big an effect or if I am just now 'getting it' but I take back everything negative I had to say about the handling, its superb.
I went back to my '97 Civic Type R and it felt like a tank, exactly how I would expect such a car to feel after driving the Nissan GT. I could really feel the weight, it was very heavy and I could tell that it had stock suspension with the way the weight was transfering from left to right. It felt very spongy and quick steering adjustments were not possible because of it.
I was not breaking enough into the corners and the heavyness of the car was very apparent the way it just kept on going deep into the turn, the feeling of inertia was very good.
At times I felt like I was on the edge of the tyres grip levels, just to check if this was just a feeling I pushed a bit harder and started to slide.

Very pleased with the game now, graphics & AI aside.

Last edited:
It says GT4 on the side of the bottom car. Strange if that IS a pic of GT5, for them to have GT4 logo on it.

those pictures are definitely NOT taken out of GT5 !!
and for the mazda mx-5 i think it's even not taken out of GT4...

i don't care about any rumors etc. I will wait for final reviews and then i will wait until the game is available at a lower price... ;-)

i don't care about any rumors etc. I will wait for final reviews and then i will wait until the game is available at a lower price... ;-)

If they are GT4 or GT5, they look like that in GT5! Thats the worrying thing! :LOL:

Maybe your sober now?

No what it was is that before I installed the game I deleted all the stuff saved from it on the PS3 which obviously wiped the settings I had saved that turn off all driving assists. After install I forgot to change them and was playing with them all on as standard which is why I was complaining about lack of feel and no challenge. After getting the update I then realised I had not changed them and went and done it and attributed the changes to the patch instead of the change of settings.

After a good few hours of solid playing time I feel very happy with it. I have added some mods to my Civic like suspension, tyres & exhaust and they all have a nice noticable effect. What I really like is that before and even after I added the mods but to a lesser extent, I could feel the limitations of the car and knew what areas needed to be changed. I think that people who like to tune will have a good time with the game.

What I am most impressed by are the tracks, the elevation changes and cambers are all very well done and some tracks are soo much fun because of it. I have played racing games where the only reason I knew I was going up hill was because I know the real life track and its layout.

I tried the rally and found it very difficult, this will take some time to master. Also had a go at the Nascar and almost fell asleep driving round and round and round and......
The go kart was fun but what really kills it is that I could not find a kart specific track, driving it on a full size track takes away the point of having it in the game IMO.

Like I said overall I am very happy with the game and if I did not expect the graphics to be soo great I would be even happier. The AI is bad though theres no getting around that.

Last edited:
If they are GT4 or GT5, they look like that in GT5! Thats the worrying thing! :LOL:

He's right we7god those screens could of easily came from GT5 even if they arent. All those trailers that showed some near photo realistic driving game were very misleading, ingame the graphics are no better than GT5P IMO and the standard cars really look bad.

They are from GT5, i got them from GTPlanet. It says Gran Turismo 4 on the side because the actual car had that in real life.

Heres another pic of a standard:

gttt.jpg

I've read on GTPlanet, from a 3D guru, that this problem revolves around a bad technique done to upscale textures over the 3D mesh, I really can't explain it, but thats how many Standard cars look unfortunately.

I'll just try to stick to premium cars I guess. Future DLC will add more.

Havent posted any impressions until now as I have been busy playing the game.

At first I had to install the game data which which is around 8GB (optional). This take around 35 minutes in total. It supposedly helps in dealing with load times and navigating the menu but both even after the installation are horrible. Navigating the menu is often a very laggy experience and there are too many options that it comes across as quite overwhelming.

I jumped straight into a Time Trial mode with the Mercedes SLS AMG at Monza in the rain with no assists. Bad decision. Couldn't control the car for shit and immediately quit and began the main mode - GT Mode. I first had to choose a outfit for the driver along with some profile information. I then purchased my first car from the Used Car Dealership. The GT Mode uses a level system similar to those found in RPG's and Call of Duty. With each race and event you gather XP which levels you up, unlocking new features and cars. At first your Level 0 and have to pick a Level 0 used car. I went for a Toyota in bright yellow with just over 15k miles on the clock. The car was a standard vehicle so it didn't have all the premium details such as interior view but it still looked quite good.

With the few credits I had left I went to the GT Auto. This is where you can perform such things as car washes, oil changes, modifications, tuning and general fixing of the automobile. I gave the car a wash and a new fill of oil each with their own individual cute animations. Really the amount of detail in the game is astonishing.

I then began with some License Tests. You start off doing the National B licence. You then progress to the National A, International C, B, A and finally S licences. Standard fare for a Gran Turismo game. In each individual event there are certain criteria that if reached give Gold, Silver or Bronze trophies. Obviously the first ones in National B are fairly easy and I managed to get a few Gold and the rest Silver. After completion I levelled up to Level 3 and received some new crappy cars (a Mazda and a Daihatsu) as a reward as well as a Go-Kart and unlocked some new special events.

I then proceeded to a quick race at Cote 'd Azure (Monaco). The graphics of this game are really, really good. There are a few jaggies and as is known some of the standard vehicles aren't that good looking but everything else is really top notch. The lighting and particle effects are a particular standout achievement. Engine sound has also improved over GT5: Prologue.

The driving physics feel much better than previous GT games but there are still some similarities. Each car really does feel very different. NASCARS felt really loose and I quickly lost the back end compared to the tight control of the SLS AMG and the McLaren F1. Obviously driving in wet conditions you completely lose grip even with the wet tires. That brings me to the pit stops which in the races allow you to refuel and change for a fresh pair of tyres. There is both fuel and tyre wear in the game which is good to see.

The damage model is meant to be fully unlocked (including mechanical) at Level 10. Currently all im seeing is small panel damage and dents but its better than nothing. Hopefully it will improve as I progress.

The online mode is really deep. I set up a room and the amount of options is staggering. You can choose the circuit and certain online criteria such as headset voice quality. In terms of actual gameplay you can choose the circuit, the weather, the amount of laps, how qualifying is done, what cars are to be used etc. Lag was minimal or non existent in the two races I had.

This is only a small part of GT5. Its really is a big game. If your a fan of the series you will really enjoy this game like I am currently. There are some issues like I have said, but there are also a lot of positives too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
After 2 Hours of Playing this Game, i can say that this is one of the badest Racing Games ever!

What happened to the GT series?

First the graphics look nice yes in Replays, start the Alpenring as Rally an see the shadows of the crowd around the track flickering!We are talking about 6 Years creation Time, all tracks are more than sterile! They are without live, it looks like a Picture!

In Gt1 till GT4 you can feel the Car, especially with theDual shock you feel the Car, now you feel nothing, i Have a Dualshok 3 Controller but Driving is like Crap! AND THAS THE POINT! I want to drive the car not the car ma! totally control about the car was the proud of GT, now you dont feel the car.

One big bad Point is the camera angles, and the car onscreen, it seems like the car is on glass and fly over the Road!What is this?

And loading a Track and Starting a Race takes around 30-40 Sec. why have i installed 8 GB?

And the Tracks himself are standart Tracks like you can find in GT1, 2, 3, 34 and forza or NFSS, only good HD quality with clipping and Flittering.

You can drive in a lot Game a good looking Car, but only in few Games you can feel them!!!!

So sorry Sony, this game get from me only 65/100!

Its a shame, and it shows how difficult the programming on ps3 is! Tis game hasn't been developed on the 360!!! And you can see it!

So i started playing NFS Shift!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom