Gran Turismo 5

get a wheel man. dont use a bloody controller. even the gt5 acadamy game was fucking shit on a pad yet people who tried it on a wheel loved it

Havent posted any impressions until now as I have been busy playing the game.

At first I had to install the game data which which is around 8GB (optional). This take around 35 minutes in total. It supposedly helps in dealing with load times and navigating the menu but both even after the installation are horrible. Navigating the menu is often a very laggy experience and there are too many options that it comes across as quite overwhelming.

I jumped straight into a Time Trial mode with the Mercedes SLS AMG at Monza in the rain with no assists. Bad decision. Couldn't control the car for shit and immediately quit and began the main mode - GT Mode. I first had to choose a outfit for the driver along with some profile information. I then purchased my first car from the Used Car Dealership. The GT Mode uses a level system similar to those found in RPG's and Call of Duty. With each race and event you gather XP which levels you up, unlocking new features and cars. At first your Level 0 and have to pick a Level 0 used car. I went for a Toyota in bright yellow with just over 15k miles on the clock. The car was a standard vehicle so it didn't have all the premium details such as interior view but it still looked quite good.

With the few credits I had left I went to the GT Auto. This is where you can perform such things as car washes, oil changes, modifications, tuning and general fixing of the automobile. I gave the car a wash and a new fill of oil each with their own individual cute animations. Really the amount of detail in the game is astonishing.

I then began with some License Tests. You start off doing the National B licence. You then progress to the National A, International C, B, A and finally S licences. Standard fare for a Gran Turismo game. In each individual event there are certain criteria that if reached give Gold, Silver or Bronze trophies. Obviously the first ones in National B are fairly easy and I managed to get a few Gold and the rest Silver. After completion I levelled up to Level 3 and received some new crappy cars (a Mazda and a Daihatsu) as a reward as well as a Go-Kart and unlocked some new special events.

I then proceeded to a quick race at Cote 'd Azure (Monaco). The graphics of this game are really, really good. There are a few jaggies and as is known some of the standard vehicles aren't that good looking but everything else is really top notch. The lighting and particle effects are a particular standout achievement. Engine sound has also improved over GT5: Prologue.

The driving physics feel much better than previous GT games but there are still some similarities. Each car really does feel very different. NASCARS felt really loose and I quickly lost the back end compared to the tight control of the SLS AMG and the McLaren F1. Obviously driving in wet conditions you completely lose grip even with the wet tires. That brings me to the pit stops which in the races allow you to refuel and change for a fresh pair of tyres. There is both fuel and tyre wear in the game which is good to see.

The damage model is meant to be fully unlocked (including mechanical) at Level 10. Currently all im seeing is small panel damage and dents but its better than nothing. Hopefully it will improve as I progress.

The online mode is really deep. I set up a room and the amount of options is staggering. You can choose the circuit and certain online criteria such as headset voice quality. In terms of actual gameplay you can choose the circuit, the weather, the amount of laps, how qualifying is done, what cars are to be used etc. Lag was minimal or non existent in the two races I had.

This is only a small part of GT5. Its really is a big game. If your a fan of the series you will really enjoy this game like I am currently. There are some issues like I have said, but there are also a lot of positives too. :)

can you earn credits/level up when you play online an is half the cars available to you in time trial and online mode like in forza

My initial disappointment yesterday has been tempered a bit.

Its still a poor first impression all round - which is the thing that hit me. If its been in development that long, you expect to be 'wowed' out of the box, but I dont think that is going to be the case for GT5 and its not going to display its full glory for some time I dont think.

Tried some arcade races last night (rather than GT) and the step up in car quality is much better. I also got to try cockpit view and used the PSEye for head tracking - which kinda worked ok (I had very low lighting in the room, so it struggled to pick up my face) and with better lighting I imagine will work brilliantly - looking forward to trying that later on.

Online seemed a bit of a mess, but I'll stay out of that for a few days until it settles down.

Tried the 2nd NASCAR challenge and they have nailed that, so looking forward to running some more of those races (I assume in GT Life later on that there will be a NASCAR section?)

So overall, i think its gonna be a grower despite the initial feelings.

IGN UK review 8.5/10
Code:
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136103p1.html

Starts off like a 10/10, goes into a 4/10 and finished with a somewhat "safe" 8.5/10. If IGN are already this critical I wonder what the likes of Eurogamer and 1Up will say.

Mate just like PES. many diddnt like it yet it grew on them. i think its not good to base your opinions on a couple of hours of game play especially a game like this with huge content and options for you to try.

i bet in a couple of weeks time you may actually love the game.

IGN UK review 8.5/10
Code:
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136103p1.html

Starts off like a 10/10, goes into a 4/10 and finished with a somewhat "safe" 8.5/10. If IGN are already this critical I wonder what the likes of Eurogamer and 1Up will say.

lol ign tend to give good reviews on companies who throw cash at them. eurogamer is more sound and none bias most of the times.

A racing game without damage?! That's like a football game without tackling and injuries. This is the year 2010 for god sake. Can't believe Polyphony Digital needed more than FIVE years to develop GT5...

I much rather prefer playing Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit or even Racedriver GRID.

A racing game without damage?! That's like a football game without tackling and injuries. This is the year 2010 for god sake. Can't believe Polyphony Digital needed more than FIVE years to develop GT5...

I much rather prefer playing Burnout Paradise, Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit or even Racedriver GRID.

what racing game are you referring to because gt5 HAS damage:CONFUSE:

Let's deal with those two old bug-bears next: damage and AI. There is cosmetic deformation of the car models from the biggest impacts, but it's very unconvincing, as if the coachwork was made out of plasticine. You sense Polyphony's heart really isn't in the task of smashing up its beautiful babies.

Worse, the impact physics still have the racers either bouncing off or snagging on each other like toy cars. It's about the audio as much as anything – that hollow thud sounds like you've kicked a cardboard box, not crashed two tons of metal together – but it unsuspends your disbelief at the game's looks in a hurry.

Also, just read that rain is cosmetic only and doesn't affect physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
A racing game without damage?! That's like a football game without tackling and injuries. This is the year 2010 for god sake.

Sounds like FIFA11 to me, no need to tackle as everything is automatic anyway and the less said about injuries the better...:D

I found the Eurogamer review pretty unbalanced, which is odd as I usually find them very good. I got the impression the Special Stages that the reviewer loved, and the excitement about actually finding them, pretty much compensated for all the other poor aspects of the game he later mentioned.

Different style of racing game, Jonney. Not everyone wants a serious racer as their only racing game option.

just installed it, with patch - where do i find the online option?

btw, just picked up a driving force GT wheel at currys for 49.99! been looking for a g27, but OOS everywhere... it will do in the meantime i guess...

It's possible to like more than one type of game you know :LOL:

yes but the way you mentioed how nfs and gt5 are two complete different games gives me the impression that people are expecting gt5 to be like nfs. especially when i mentioned SHIFt being better.

You even said "not everyone wants a serious racer" shows how your comment was aimed at people that "dont" want a serious racer as their only which gt5 and shift is aiming at

Last edited:
Nope, it's meant that people can want a serious racer, and an arcade racer. And I reckon most people have both a serious AND an arcade racer in their collection if they enjoy racing games.

Nope, it's meant that people can want a serious racer, and an arcade racer. And I reckon most people have both a serious AND an arcade racer in their collection if they enjoy racing games.

How come thats not the case for footy fans? how come most of us either want a serious footy game or some arcace fun footy game like that steven gerrard 5 a side footy game?

You can argue and say they are two different genra's but it is still the same principles i.e u have a game that tries to emulate the real thing and a game that doesnt

Back
Top Bottom