Gran Turismo 5

Some artifacts on standard cars are really awful:

img0697x.jpg

vlcsnap2010112115h34m17.png

sorry i doubt that these are gt5 screenshots - looks more like gt4...

Sorry Jamez, I have pretty much agreed with your posts 99% of the time since we have a similar opinion but thats a load of nonsense. The AI is admittedly not the best it could be but to call it the same as in the PSone days is ludicrous. Through each iteration of GT the AI system has evolved. In GT4 the AI became quite challenging especially as you progressed through the event stages. Couple this with the professional physics model in GT5: Prologue and no driver assists and the game can be extremely difficult.

While it is a shame that there is no cockpit view in the 800 or so standard cars they are still completely playable and each has their own different behaviour and nuances. Plus all the cars in the game can be tuned, upgraded and damaged during the course of the game.

All in all the game is overrunning with content and has far more than any version of Forza has ever had. There are over 1000 cars including NASCAR, SuperGT, Go-Karts, Concept vehicles and a couple of F1 cars. Weather conditions including snow, damage, an improved physics system, B-Spec mode (where you manage your drivers), License Tests, Special Events such as the Jeff Gordon NASCAR School and the Top Gear Challenge, over 20 different tracks, day to night cycle on some courses, full steering wheel support even, 16 player online races and 32 player lobbies, GT Anywhere, the possibility of future DLC, the incredible graphics engine and thats not even all of it.

I can understand some peoples frustration but most people have known about the issues mentioned for quite a few months and have gotten over it. I know its been in development for 5 years but I think some people need to tone down their expectation levels. Its not the second coming of Christ! Its not going to be perfect. There will still be problems and I for one look forward to GT6 in 2015! :)

No probs Billy, I hope the game is everything you want and more. Five years is a long time to wait for such a massive franchise like GT and I think that's why myself and others are highly critical of the game. When a developer takes that long to release a game I feel it has to show huge progression. In many ways GT5 looks and sounds highly impressive with many types of cars, options and game modes. But none of that matters to me if the fundamentals of the game aren't up to the same standard.

I can only judge by what I've seen in the videos but nothing shouts at me that GT5 has progressed in terms of the fundamentals. In my opinion the two things in GT that have changed very little over the years are the AI and driving physics. I've always felt that the GT series has offered graphical upgrades with each iteration and very little else. Classic style over substance.

Of course I need to try the game for myself, and I will most likely pick it up once the hype has died down. I want to hear peoples impressions before I buy. I'm just not sure this is five years worth of game here, especially when Turn 10 have released three quality Forza games in the meantime.

No probs Billy, I hope the game is everything you want and more. Five years is a long time to wait for such a massive franchise like GT and I think that's why myself and others are highly critical of the game. When a developer takes that long to release a game I feel it has to show huge progression. In many ways GT5 looks and sounds highly impressive with many types of cars, options and game modes. But none of that matters to me if the fundamentals of the game aren't up to the same standard.

I can only judge by what I've seen in the videos but nothing shouts at me that GT5 has progressed in terms of the fundamentals. In my opinion the two things in GT that have changed very little over the years are the AI and driving physics. I've always felt that the GT series has offered graphical upgrades with each iteration and very little else. Classic style over substance.

Of course I need to try the game for myself, and I will most likely pick it up once the hype has died down. I want to hear peoples impressions before I buy. I'm just not sure this is five years worth of game here, especially when Turn 10 have released three quality Forza games in the meantime.

You Sir are a true gentleman when it comes to posting! :)

I completely understand where your coming from. I too was disappointed with some of the aspects of the game/series after such a long wait but I was more impressed with the amount of content Polyphony Digital are bringing to the table.

I wonder what people will make of Duke Nukem Forever which has been in development for over a decade (since 1997)!

GT5 will be worth buying for the online mode alone, which obviously negates any AI issues. Plus 16 players will be immense as long as you can get a bunch of like-minded players together.

I just need to get a wheel first (looking at the Logitech Driving Force GT) but forget Gran Turismo - I'm more pissed off at the moment that NFS: Hot Pusuit doesn't support logitech wheels on the PS3. It's not just the Fifa fanbase that EA takes a dump on.:RANT:

This game looks a bit shit to me (non-graphically, obviously), especially considering how long it's been in production.
I know it isn't really possible to know how the handling feels from watching videos, but it just doesn't look right to me.

You can have all the cars, features and content you like but if the gameplay and AI are poor then I'm just not interested.

This was pretty much the only game that would have pushed me into getting a PS3 had it been great.

This game looks a bit shit to me (non-graphically, obviously), especially considering how long it's been in production.
I know it isn't really possible to know how the handling feels from watching videos, but it just doesn't look right to me.

You can have all the cars, features and content you like but if the gameplay and AI are poor then I'm just not interested.

This was pretty much the only game that would have pushed me into getting a PS3 had it been great.

im getting this game purely for online play. AI in just about every sports game suck. Do you play PES offline a lot for instance?

I'm tempted to buy NFS this week instead of this, I'm not ready to buy a wheel and I don't want to play the game with a pad.

I see the old Megane in those pics, the current Megane is ugly, they got rid of the fat ass!

Ridiculous detail.

So strange to see those jaggy images at the top of the page and then these at the bottom and think they're the same game.

I'm hoping that it feels better than previous games to drive - I hate the concrete tyres driving on ice feel that the series has started to have,

if anyone is interested, you can order this online now for delivery tomorrow for £29.99 from best buy.

or you can pick it up in-store tomorrow for the same price. supposedly, it's a one-day-only offer, so be quick...

on another note, does anyone know where i can pick up a G27 wheel? seems everywhere is sold out til middle of next month!

if anyone is interested, you can order this online now for delivery tomorrow for £29.99 from best buy.

or you can pick it up in-store tomorrow for the same price. supposedly, it's a one-day-only offer, so be quick...

on another note, does anyone know where i can pick up a G27 wheel? seems everywhere is sold out til middle of next month!

it's sold out online, they only have a few stores in the uk

they did the same deal for black ops which i got for £30 and was delivered the day after ordering

got my pre order of gt5 from shopto.net today, just about done installing which took 40 minutes

I dont know why there was talk of a 50min install. I just put the disk in, setup my driver(you get to choose an outfit), bought a car(I bought a Civic type R) and did a race.

My first thought when starting the race was "WOW 5 years for this!!!" massive dissapointment, forget all these beautiful screens of cars you are seeing the actual game looks very much like GT5P which is not that good IMO, this is not the photo realistic graphical monster we were led to believe.

This game is stuck in the last gen was my feeling after the race. The AI is really, really, really bad, the first few turns of the race it was like bumper cars. The physics are not very good, on the last turn of the last lap I took the corner way to quick to gain a place, drove straight into the side of another car, it hardly moved and I just carried on down the straight having used it to turn and gain a place. Online will suck if this is anything to go by.

The biggest dissapointment after the graphics was probably the handling, there just is no feeling of weight. I thought the handling in the Academy demo was a big improvement over GT5P but after playing GT5P last night and now this I dont really see alot of difference.

Obviously you cant give a fair judgement after 1 race in 1 car but I am dissapointed at the moment, mostly by the graphics because this part of the game was the only thing I really had a set expectation for. Gameplay wise the overwhelming feeling is that it feels soo last gen. Its 2010, nearly 2011 and this is just not good enough.

This all could change though, I hope so.

The force feed back on the wheel is good though :D

Last edited:
Are people actually interested in, you know, actually playing the game? It seems every GT5 thread is full of images and not much in the way of discussion.

OK I am starting to get the feeling something is wrong here. When starting and you get the multiple views of your car with the countdown the shadow from the car would not look out of place on the SNES, it is just ridiculously bad. Along with this the game does not fill up my screen, I have a 2 inch black border around it.
Maybe I have to go and do a install option or something.

Scutch I would stop getting excited by those screenies if I were you, you are setting yourself up for a huge disapointement. I just had a standard car infront of me and it was like I was playing a PS2 game, they really F'ed up putting those cars in the game.

OK I am starting to get the feeling something is wrong here. When starting and you get the multiple views of your car with the countdown the shadow from the car would not look out of place on the SNES, it is just ridiculously bad. Along with this the game does not fill up my screen, I have a 2 inch black border around it.
Maybe I have to go and do a install option or something.

Scutch I would stop getting excited by those screenies if I were you, you are setting yourself up for a huge disapointement. I just had a standard car infront of me and it was like I was playing a PS2 game, they really F'ed up putting those cars in the game.

To be honest mate, I'm only posting them to illustrate how much effort has gone into the detailing of the Premium cars for the photo mode. I won't be buying the game, anyway. I thought when I purchased the PS3 this would be one game I'd be looking forward to, but they've seriously annoyed me with the 800+ cars being standardised, with no cockpit view and lacking the detail of the premium models. Not only that, but the damage modelling is apparently poor and the AI sticks to it's usual rails, regardless of what's going on around the cars.

So, even after 6 years work, I won't be delving into GT5, unfortunately.

Are people actually interested in, you know, actually playing the game? It seems every GT5 thread is full of images and not much in the way of discussion.

It does seem that way. The images look great an everything, but I didn't wait five years for a photo mode.

More impressions please Ern Dog, it sounds like you're confirming my fears about the game. I hope it gets better for you.

Positive here :

My copy was delivered yesterday, so I spent a few hours on it last night. Pretty damn good so far! I now have my B license, I've raced a fair bit in the Cat A, plus been racing around the Top Gear track in a VW camper van race! Go-Karts so far are the highlight... they seem so quick and the cornering is amazing on those things!

I woke up early this morning to have another quick go before work, but I chose to do the track install, otherwise the loading times can be a little frustrating at times. Took about 40 mintutes :-(

Got my GT steering wheel delivered today so can't wait to get on that when I get home!!!

Back
Top Bottom