Gran Turismo 5

Do they?

I've not played GT5 yet so can't comment on driving physics but I've heard (and seen in the videos) the AI is pretty poor whereas it's decent enough in Forza 3. Perhaps comparison videos should concentrate on physics and AI first and foremost?

I think the other thing Forza 3 has in it's favour is it's graphical consistency and just a general feeling of a polished, finished product.

EDIT - the reports of great physics and handling is the only reason why I'm still looking to buy GT5.

handlinga nd physics for a driving game should be the most imprtant thing in a racing game IMO and as long as the game has a good online mode which GT5 does, AI is a mute point for many.

Hopefully my copy will be arriving on Monday.

I had Forza 3 and enjoyed it, spent hours online and on the career mode. I found it quite easy though, even with assists turned off. The AI was OK and all, but this game shone online.

I imagine the same is with GT5, can't see much different with the offline career mode to say GT4 (aside from a few extras here and there), so the majority of my time will be spent online which I be heard is great - when it works.

its very difficult in SP mode. more difficult then FM3 thats for sure.

The ai in just about every sports game sucks big time. who here plays mainly SP offline on fifa and PES? not many it seems.

edit: does anyone game on a pc? if so you should definetly check out rfactor 2.

More realistic handling, lag free 20+ player online with practise, qualifications and race. all cars have interior views. Very mod friendly and can easily surpass GT5's 1000+ car count. Dynamic weather effects and how when it stops raining, the driving line that people normaly take will indeed be less wet/more drier then the other parts of a track. The list goes on.

GT5 does have a superb physics and handling engine. there is no if's or buts about that

Last edited:
The ai in just about every sports game sucks big time. who here plays mainly SP offline on fifa and PES? not many it seems.

Don't agree with that on both counts. There's plenty of sports and driving games out there with good AI. I play PES2011 offline only and I've not got too many complaints with the AI. Same goes for NBA2K11.

You shouldn't underestimate the amount of people that play games purely offline. It's more than you think.

Don't agree with that on both counts. There's plenty of sports and driving games out there with good AI. I play PES2011 offline only and I've not got too many complaints with the AI. Same goes for NBA2K11.

You shouldn't underestimate the amount of people that play games purely offline. It's more than you think.

well its a fact that the AI can never be as good as a human being. not yet anyway. thats why the majority play online instead of offline. im not saying no one plays offline. all im saying is most people tend to play online.

Just ask most COD fans if they play COD only offline

As soon as I saw that COD had offline with bots I was sold on buying that. No more racist annoying kids screaming abuse, glitching, hacking, spawn camping or boosting.

Joy.

thats why the majority play online instead of offline. im not saying no one plays offline. all im saying is most people tend to play online.

Can't say I agree. You have to factor in the people who have consoles that aren't full 'gamers' and can't afford to have an online subscription when they don't have enough time to play online. You also have a lot of families or kids that don't bother going online, or don't know how. I know plenty of people that only play offline. I'd say there are still more full time offline players than online ones.

Is anyone here playing Gran Turismo 5 with the Logitch Driving Force GT wheel?

Both of these are on my xmas list but I'm wondering if this wheel can be used on my lap or if it has to be clamped down onto something? If it's the latter I'm going to need to buy/build/improvise a wheel stand. I'm guessing the force feedback may be too strong to use on the lap.

The following stands look tasty but seem a little expensive for what they are:
http://www.wheelstandpro.com/
http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=220

Anyone own these?

Any good suggestions for making/improvising my own stand? (apart from the ironing board method)

Last edited:
If there was no force feedback I think having it on your lap would be a viable solution, as it is I imagine it to be awkward and quite possibly painful.
I seen on another forum a cheap laptop table from Tesco that people have used, I think it was only about 8 quid.
photo.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. :TU:

The Tesco laptop table would be the cheapest and simplest solution but it's been discontinued according to the website. I read on AVForums that people on there were buying-up this table like mad once GT5 came out. Tesco probably didn't know what hit them. I'll check my local stores and see if it's still available off the shelf.

The Ikea solution looks decent too. I've already got the exact same chair so I'm halfway there.

Can't see why people are hating on GT5....it's typical Gran Turismo updated for modern times, and more to the point it's a driving sim/car collecting game - it's all about the feel of the driving and the micro details. In that sense GT is still king and I don't know what people were expecting of this game the ones that felt disappointed. I simply don't see it. It's an awesome game from where I'm sitting, better than I expected it to be.

Is anyone here playing Gran Turismo 5 with the Logitch Driving Force GT wheel?

Both of these are on my xmas list but I'm wondering if this wheel can be used on my lap or if it has to be clamped down onto something? If it's the latter I'm going to need to buy/build/improvise a wheel stand. I'm guessing the force feedback may be too strong to use on the lap.

The following stands look tasty but seem a little expensive for what they are:
http://www.wheelstandpro.com/
http://www.fanatec.de/html/index.php?id=220

Anyone own these?

Any good suggestions for making/improvising my own stand? (apart from the ironing board method)

yes i own http://www.wheelstandpro.com/ and i HIGHLY recommend it. wel worth the cost

Gran Turismo 5 v1.03 Update Brings Mechanical Damage

lancia-delta.jpeg

Fire up Gran Turismo 5 and you’ll be prompted to download another new update, version 1.03, weighing in at 149MB in size. No information has yet been released about exactly what this update contains (though the official PlayStation blog hinted at incoming damage tweaks earlier today, thanks @hankolerd), and GT5’s online servers are currently offline until 11:00PM EST. I’ll update this post as soon as more solid information is made available.

UPDATE: The servers are back online and an in-game news notice has been posted, but it mentions nothing of exactly what changes v1.03 contains. However, as can be seen in the online “My Lounge” options for an online race, a new “Mechanical Damage” setting is available for the event with three settings, as described by the scrolling information bar on the bottom of the screen:

• “None” – No mechanical damage.
• “Light” – Mechanical parts can be damaged, but will “automatically be repaired after a short time has passed.”
• “Heavy” – Mechanical damage will be more severe, and can only be repaired by making a pit stop. Damaged parts will be indicated with on-screen icons.

Photomode image by NISM0_SKYLINE.

Want More?

You should become our fan on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, or subscribe to our RSS feed. You can even get these news stories delivered via email, straight to your inbox every day.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-v1-03-update-now-available/

I'm holding off until they bring this patch to enable save files to be backed up. I don't think my PS3 is on it's last legs or anything but I'd like to know that if something screwed up like the disc drive stopped reading discs... I could still back up my saves I spent hours working on.

You're just paranoid after what happened before ;).

The only thing stopping me from playing GT5 is the FUCKING POSTMAN! He hasnt delivered in over a week!

yea i think his being a bit too paranoid. no point missing out on something that may happen.

Unless your that type of person that doesnt get inside a vehicle knowing they "may" crash and die

Nah I'm not that bad. I've just read on the official EU forums quite a few threads where save files have corrupt randomly and lost forever.

As least with an option to back saves up I can make back ups every so often so if the worst ever did happen I had a restart point of my own to continue from. I wouldn't be doing this every day - just if I'd just got all gold licenses or done one of the terrible tough races like the 24 hour shit in the old games.

I could buy it now and just wait but I'd rather hold off out of principle and hope that when they patch it in they spot more sales. They will know for future to stop locking save files like bastards.

Nah I'm not that bad. I've just read on the official EU forums quite a few threads where save files have corrupt randomly and lost forever.

As least with an option to back saves up I can make back ups every so often so if the worst ever did happen I had a restart point of my own to continue from. I wouldn't be doing this every day - just if I'd just got all gold licenses or done one of the terrible tough races like the 24 hour shit in the old games.

I could buy it now and just wait but I'd rather hold off out of principle and hope that when they patch it in they spot more sales. They will know for future to stop locking save files like bastards.

buy it now and just play online racing?

Oh god no. I don't think I'll ever use the online side of GT5. I'm imagining loads of people bouncing off the rails, smashing into your rear end on every corner and doing all the other usual things racing games are plagued with.

Re: Re: Gran Turismo 5

Oh god no. I don't think I'll ever use the online side of GT5. I'm imagining loads of people bouncing off the rails, smashing into your rear end on every corner and doing all the other usual things racing games are plagued with.
Tired all argument imo and I will let you figure it out why pal.once you figure it out, have a look at a thread. I created. Few weeks ago in AVForums in the Gt5 section.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

It's not an argument against the game, I'm saying that in nearly every racing game I've ever played... the online is filled with jackasses. So I'd assume GT5 would be the same and would rather avoid online altogether.

Nearly every online game has idiots and the more popular the title the more idiots you bump into per game. So with GT5 being at it's height of popularity about now... I think the online has a greater chance of being filled with reckless driving or intentionally idiotic driving players just out to troll.

Maybe in a month or 2 when the kids have got bored and traded it in it might be worthy of a look but the SP is usually so vast in GT that time spent online is time wasted. Like how in COD, time spent offline is time wasted where you could be ranking up.

Last edited:
Forza 2 and 3 were full of jackasses for the first month or two after release - the sort of people who use the back of other cars as a brakes upgrade - but the quality of online player got better once the casuals moved on to the next big thing. So I agree with what Rad is saying about giving online a miss for a while.

It's not an argument against the game, I'm saying that in nearly every racing game I've ever played... the online is filled with jackasses. So I'd assume GT5 would be the same and would rather avoid online altogether.

Nearly every online game has idiots and the more popular the title the more idiots you bump into per game. So with GT5 being at it's height of popularity about now... I think the online has a greater chance of being filled with reckless driving or intentionally idiotic driving players just out to troll.

Maybe in a month or 2 when the kids have got bored and traded it in it might be worthy of a look but the SP is usually so vast in GT that time spent online is time wasted. Like how in COD, time spent offline is time wasted where you could be ranking up.

Man i dont think you understood my post so i will be more to the point. If you join or race with people from here or from avf, your point about racing againts idiots is mute and none existant just like how many bitched and moaned about playing against randoms in fifa but now play with people from here.

Go here man and join us or just add the guys from my list there and race with them.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/gran-turismo-ps3/1363043-avf-gt5-club.html

The thing is I'm not able to game online at peak times with people like you though. I'm lucky if I can play any game online during the day, I have to spend most of my gaming offline so I can pause the action to do the odd job here or there and then return. When I can get on, it's at times like 11am or 2pm when hardly anyone is around.

Back
Top Bottom