FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

What is so disappointing is the lack of imagination at EA. A complete lack of imagination.

Some of their customers complain that the game is not exciting enough, so what do they do? They break the rules of physics and have players passing before it barely touches the player's foot.

But football is the world's most popular game. It's incredibly exciting. And there are a million ways you could make Fifa exciting by making it more like real football. But the lazy people at EA just make everything faster. A complete lack of imagination.

And you don't see this in any other sports game. You don't see golf games where the golfer's ball takes off at warp speed. You don't see the F1 game with cars that can take corners at 300 miles per hour, because corners are so slow and boring.

I just can't get to the point where @Matt10 is and accept that the game is bad but it's the best we've got.

Someone somewhere make a game of football that celebrates the beautiful game, instead of celebrating getting money off of kids.

Last edited:
What is so disappointing is the lack of imagination at EA. A complete lack of imagination.

Some of their customers complain that the game is not exciting enough, so what do they do? They break the rules of physics and have players passing before it barely touches the player's foot.

But football is the world's most popular game. It's incredibly exciting. And there are a million ways you could make Fifa exciting by making it more like real football. But the lazy people at EA just make everything faster. A complete lack of imagination.

And you don't see this in any other sports game. You don't see golf games where the golfer's ball takes off at warp speed. You don't see the F1 game with cars that can take corners at 300 miles per hour, because corners are so slow and boring.

I just can't get to the point where @Matt10 is and accept that the game is bad but it's the best we've got.

Someone somewhere make a game of football that celebrates the beautiful game, instead of celebrating getting money off of kids.
It’s esports mate. These guys can’t have played or watched football in their lives because it doesn’t resemble real football at all. If you love the game I don’t know how firstly you can play online, secondly compete and thirdly play with the cpu assisting every move.

It’s just a cards with a 3d footy game tacked on. Utterly horrible.

I enjoy FIFA 23 for quick exhibition 5 minute games on fuma, but it’s not something I play for long.

I’ve gone back to pes 21 and been trying out all the gameplay mods and broadcast angles and I think I’m happy with what I have now on pc

Does that really bother you though? Like honestly, think about it. Does the ball not touching a player's foot really bother you? Because it's happened for years in other games, other FIFAs, and even in other sports video games. Is going into a replay and zooming in really the determining factor here? Is there any thought at all as to why there is this discrepancy or why it exists in the first place?

Also, are you basing these thoughts on default gameplay? As in, what is experienced online/FUT? If so, then sure, I'd agree with the dismay of a faster game (pass speed in particular for me).

I don't think the devs are lazy at all. I think posters are doing the common approach and saying the common things about things they aren't taking time to think about. This isn't directed toward you, but just a general approach after modifying the game away from default:

Is it lazy that they allow the sliders to work? Or that they implement them in the first place?
Is it lazy that the tactics and instructions work?
Is it lazy that I can feel the difference between a team with a line height of 80 vs a team with a height of 20?
Is it lazy that I can see the CPU take on my players 1v1 rather than just try to dribble-dribble-pass?
Is it lazy that I can feel when they hesitate to make a pass, and instead decide to just boot it away or send it long?

There are so many incredible sequences of play in FIFA 23. I just can't agree with the concept of dev laziness. If you're looking for imperfections you will definitely find it. It's FIFA, but if you allow the game to flourish by using what customization there is offline, you'll experience some incredible moments.

Regarding other games, oh there are so many instances of what you speak about. I'll even approach it after customization or options turned off. I work on sliders for Madden and I constantly see warping/clipping either with the football or the players morphing into each other. So many years of this. There were back-to-back years in NCAA football where the safety would jump the route too early and it'd be a deep ball touchdown almost automatically each time. No amount of sliders could fix this. Golf? Plenty. I run the tgctours true sim tour and the ease in a full swing, or chipping, on the hardest difficulties is laughable. Again, no amount of options turned on/off could help this.

It's going to continue to be this way for sports games because we have separate entities (player, ball, goal, etc) within gameplay that need to sync up constantly with predetermined animations (two-man, etc). From there, one of the biggest factors is that we are indeed playing titles designed for online first, and offline second. It's not a shortcut, not laziness, it's a simple sync issue when a game isn't built on physics first. There aren't many issues with Rocket League offline vs online because it's physics-based. For games of humans with a ball, there was Backbreaker several years ago, which had very few issues.

If EA actually let 24 become physics based, we might have what we want, but who knows - it could potentially be worse. But this is a FIFA 23 thread, and for what we're given, with all the limitations, at least the options of customizing the gameplay have allowed the game to shine. That's how I've gotten to my conclusion of how I feel about this game.

I'm not a Defender of EA but this year, you can really have a game playable with some changes in sliders.

Hypermotion for me is a gamechanger : it brings a lot of new animations. The problem is that sometimes the game speed is too high and didn't match with the right animation. When it happened, strange transitions are in.

But overall, when you find a good mixt of strategy, sliders, pad settings, you will see some nice actions from you and CPU

Like Matt said, the game is first for online players and we have this awful gameplay when we are offline against the CPU. That is the big deal. The pass/pass/dribble/ tiki taka/shoot boring strategy is in the core gameplay. To have a better gameplay, you have to break this shit.

I saw incredible works on FIFA editing section with gameplay mods.
We are football lovers and the golden age of Football simulation is over. Efootball and FIFA will be never again based on simulation now. Only seeling cards is important!

There is maybe one more patch for FIFA 23 before EAFC24 release but I know if EAFC is really bad I can play offline with FIFA 23. It will not perfect but playable.

I deleted this, it’s pretty awful, regardless of sliders!

I can’t believe that having dreamed of what footy games would look like when playing ISS and pro Evo from inception, that we now have two piles of shite unworthy of replicating the beautiful game. First time since snes, I’ve absolute zero interest in purchasing this or any other football game.

Does that really bother you though? Like honestly, think about it. Does the ball not touching a player's foot really bother you? Because it's happened for years in other games, other FIFAs, and even in other sports video games. Is going into a replay and zooming in really the determining factor here? Is there any thought at all as to why there is this discrepancy or why it exists in the first place?

Also, are you basing these thoughts on default gameplay? As in, what is experienced online/FUT? If so, then sure, I'd agree with the dismay of a faster game (pass speed in particular for me).

I don't think the devs are lazy at all. I think posters are doing the common approach and saying the common things about things they aren't taking time to think about. This isn't directed toward you, but just a general approach after modifying the game away from default:

Is it lazy that they allow the sliders to work? Or that they implement them in the first place?
Is it lazy that the tactics and instructions work?
Is it lazy that I can feel the difference between a team with a line height of 80 vs a team with a height of 20?
Is it lazy that I can see the CPU take on my players 1v1 rather than just try to dribble-dribble-pass?
Is it lazy that I can feel when they hesitate to make a pass, and instead decide to just boot it away or send it long?

There are so many incredible sequences of play in FIFA 23. I just can't agree with the concept of dev laziness. If you're looking for imperfections you will definitely find it. It's FIFA, but if you allow the game to flourish by using what customization there is offline, you'll experience some incredible moments.

Regarding other games, oh there are so many instances of what you speak about. I'll even approach it after customization or options turned off. I work on sliders for Madden and I constantly see warping/clipping either with the football or the players morphing into each other. So many years of this. There were back-to-back years in NCAA football where the safety would jump the route too early and it'd be a deep ball touchdown almost automatically each time. No amount of sliders could fix this. Golf? Plenty. I run the tgctours true sim tour and the ease in a full swing, or chipping, on the hardest difficulties is laughable. Again, no amount of options turned on/off could help this.

It's going to continue to be this way for sports games because we have separate entities (player, ball, goal, etc) within gameplay that need to sync up constantly with predetermined animations (two-man, etc). From there, one of the biggest factors is that we are indeed playing titles designed for online first, and offline second. It's not a shortcut, not laziness, it's a simple sync issue when a game isn't built on physics first. There aren't many issues with Rocket League offline vs online because it's physics-based. For games of humans with a ball, there was Backbreaker several years ago, which had very few issues.

If EA actually let 24 become physics based, we might have what we want, but who knows - it could potentially be worse. But this is a FIFA 23 thread, and for what we're given, with all the limitations, at least the options of customizing the gameplay have allowed the game to shine. That's how I've gotten to my conclusion of how I feel about this game.
When a ball travels through a body part that leads directly to a goal that should bother everybody if your after playing even the most basic sim type football game

We're seriously dropping our standards if adjusting a few sliders is some sort of answer to making the game slightly playable. If the game sliders are anything like the broken camera sliders then the accuracy of those doesn't give me much confidence either.

The overall foundation of the game is poor and has gotten progressively worse over the last 5 years. We as the consumer base have allowed this to happen by lapping it up. The sales and money made from FUT also gave EA the greenlight to make it their priority over single player modes.

Konami decided to also follow that gravy train and here we are today, two below average football games.

I'd love an indie dev to create something similar to ISS, with the SNES style graphics. Just something that is fun to play, without all the button combos required to pull of certain shots / passes. The player should pull things off based on their stats and abilities.

I'm just utterly dismayed that this is where we are with footy titles in 2023.

Last edited:
Is it lazy that they allow the sliders to work?
That's probably where we disagree. I don't think they work. For example, the acceleration slider. Yes, it increases each player's acceleration, but it also affects each player's reaction time.

This is why when I've tried playing this game I alternate between yours and @saturator sliders. Yours are great because they capture some element of the intensity of football, but at the cost of overly fast passing and reaction times from the AI. Or I can use his settings, which have a more realistic passing and reaction speed but lose some of the intensity of a football match.

Downloaded this at the weekend as it's free on game pass at the moment. Started a career player mode, and had the first couple of games where your 'player' comes on as a sub. Two huge issues straight away.

1. The home and away kits clashed, and you can only choose your own team to swap kits. I found that playing as a team with striped kits (Bradford City) playing against another team with stripes, it's really hard to distinguish between the two and you can't change the other team kit in the menu
2. I'm playing on an old 22" 1080p monitor, but the different between playing on a sunny day where you move into the stadium shadow is ridiculous. I could barely make out who my players were vs the opposition, exacerbating point 1.

Anyone else found these issues? I'm playing on an Xbox One X FYI.

Downloaded this at the weekend as it's free on game pass at the moment. Started a career player mode, and had the first couple of games where your 'player' comes on as a sub. Two huge issues straight away.

1. The home and away kits clashed, and you can only choose your own team to swap kits. I found that playing as a team with striped kits (Bradford City) playing against another team with stripes, it's really hard to distinguish between the two and you can't change the other team kit in the menu
2. I'm playing on an old 22" 1080p monitor, but the different between playing on a sunny day where you move into the stadium shadow is ridiculous. I could barely make out who my players were vs the opposition, exacerbating point 1.

Anyone else found these issues? I'm playing on an Xbox One X FYI.
You can change the kits of both teams. If you don't like the shadows of a certain stadium, you could set the weather to overcast before the match.

We're seriously dropping our standards if adjusting a few sliders is some sort of answer to making the game slightly playable. If the game sliders are anything like the broken camera sliders then the accuracy of those doesn't give me much confidence either.

The overall foundation of the game is poor and has gotten progressively worse over the last 5 years. We as the consumer base have allowed this to happen by lapping it up. The sales and money made from FUT also gave EA the greenlight to make it their priority over single player modes.

Konami decided to also follow that gravy train and here we are today, two below average football games.

I'd love an indie dev to create something similar to ISS, with the SNES style graphics. Just something that is fun to play, without all the button combos required to pull of certain shots / passes. The player should pull things off based on their stats and abilities.

I'm just utterly dismayed that this is where we are with footy titles in 2023.
I don't think anyone is dropping their standards. I believe it's making the best out of what we're handed because we've lost the battle in many areas. Having high standards is great, but expecting them to be met after what is released is just delusional. So you either stay on those high standards and criticize every single bit of unrealistic element, or you eventually try to figure out solutions - and do the best with what's given. You then hope for the next release that someone's voice bigger than yours makes an impact. The problem is it takes a lot of selling out to do that, and it's my personal standards that won't ever let me go there (playing FUT for example).

I think there is a significant division within the sports gaming industry in general. It's like what a lot has been said about wanting online gameplay and offline gameplay. It just doesn't exist though.

Not here to troll with this one, but genuinely think it's worth sharing to make the point that for me personally, this is where the game is at - and whether something as obviously ridiculous as this happens regularly or not, the fact is that the framework that allows it to happen can be felt during every single moment of gameplay. In my opinion.

It's way too far gone to ever be fun again, if you play football games to recreate football. In my opinion.

At least, for as long as sliders are limited/broken and there's no sim/arcade gameplay "switch". (I hate seeing "offline/online gameplay" because I want to be able to play a "sim" game online, please.)

EDIT: And another:

Last edited:
I quite like the food metaphor for this situation (or any product that gets frequently updated). Imagine that pizzeria that has improved for years and made through the years traditional pizzas that you really liked. Then because the trend has changed, it started making sweeter and sweeter pizzas because that's what the youngsters like and they felt the necessity to renew their products. Every year you try their newest pizzas out of curiosity, but they feel sweeter and sweeter until the point they doesn't taste like pizza anymore. Would you continue eating these newer pizza all year, just because they are newer, even if you really don't like them anymore? Trying to add more and more spicy olive sauce just to keep it remotely tasting like a pizza?

The traditional pizzas you used to like are still on the menu by the way. They are not served with a fancy plate like the newer ones. You know quite well their taste, not much surprise in them (still probably have some for you). But they taste like pizzas.

Of course for your Instagram followers, you would probably get more attention to your page if you post a picture with the newer pizza with the fancy plate.

Last edited:
Threw 20 bucks on it last week something since it was on sale on Steam and I was curious (also the last Fifa ever, I bought the last Pes ever and it was all well worth so why not).

Well.. kind of a weird experience. There are some things I like, especially the "slower" animations like some passing, crossing or some aerial duel, plus I had nice games here and there (tried it with OS sliders). But.. the overall experience is so, I don't know how to put it, incoherent maybe? I had some surprisingly well fought matches and others where everything felt so "gamey", stuff that happens (player behaviours, physics, animations) that breaks the immersion too much too often, to the point I can hardly lose myself in the flow and forget it's a videogame like it happens when I truly like a Pes or a Fifa. One thing that bothers me in particular among many, close control animations and standing tackles feels so damn fast and hyper responsive at times, and this completely regardless of stats.. to me it's like I either burst past a defender with some super fast movement, while he doesn't even register me, or he'll eventually always react super fast and stop me (at least with the speed discrepancy in favour of CPU.. which, if I don't set it so, game just isn't competitive and I can burst around without problems).

Well I don't even think the technology is so bad, to the contrary I think if they used Hypermotion to create something in the old spirit we'd see absolutely amazing stuff. But yeah.. not the case, and the Papinho's pizza analogy is surely on point.

Not to diss people who still get enjoyment from it, of course. I'm sure there is stuff to enjoy if you are willing to ignore the bad and the fact this game is meant for another crowd. Personally, while I think a game here and there might feel/look ok, in the current state of it I could never picture me playing a full career season or something.

I quite like the food metaphor for this situation (or any product that gets frequently updated). Imagine that pizzeria that has improved for years and made through the years traditional pizzas that you really liked. Then because the trend has changed, it started making sweeter and sweeter pizzas because that's what the youngsters like and they felt the necessity to renew their products. Every year you try their newest pizzas out of curiosity, but they feel sweeter and sweeter until the point they doesn't taste like pizza anymore. Would you continue eating these newer pizza all year, just because they are newer, even if you really don't like them anymore? Trying to add more and more spicy olive sauce just to keep it remotely tasting like a pizza?

The traditional pizzas you used to like are still on the menu by the way. They are not served with a fancy plate like the newer ones. You know quite well their taste, not much surprise in them (still probably have some for you). But they taste like pizzas.

Of course for your Instagram followers, you would probably get more attention to your page if you post a picture with the newer pizza with the fancy plate.
Somewhat accurate, except if you played FIFA 21, FIFA 22, you'd know that the sweet taste that accompanied 21 and 22 had anchovies that couldn't be scraped off. In FIFA 23, those anchovies can be scraped off, so you can actually eat the sweet pizza - even if it doesn't still taste like authentic pizza.

If you ordered a FIFA Pizza it would jump out the box, look the part but proceed to rainbow flick your fruit bowl and to eat it you'd have to perform gravity defying movements.

Fifa is this pizza. There's an option for every taste out there, except if you like actual pizza, then you're screwed. That's the one thing they won't ever serve you even if every summer they print out leaflets advertising "the most authentic italian pizza".

1686559634872.png

Last edited:
Fifa is this pizza. There's an option for every taste out there, except if you like actual pizza, then you're screwed. That's the one thing they won't ever serve you even if every summer they print out leaflets advertising "the most authentic italian pizza".

View attachment 220087
As an Italian, I feel offended by this picture.

View attachment 220087
Looks like you got lost and made it over to the kids' table, then proceeded to look for a waiter, and realized you're not at a restaurant.

View attachment 220087

But those good sports at EA allow you to rearrange the toppings to make it edible! Cos heaven forbid you'd want that right out of the box.

Women's World Cup is coming up soon and EA have previously announced they'll be supporting it in FIFA 23 with DLC much like the WC 2022 last year, but there's been no promotion or marketing surrounding it.

I imagine they're going to stealth launch it abruptly like they did with that massive women database update they added a couple of months ago.

I'm curious if this will be an authentic WC update with stadiums and missing teams or if it's gonna be some tacked on generic thing where the women's teams all play in their home stadiums like on previous games 🙄

Women's World Cup is coming up soon and EA have previously announced they'll be supporting it in FIFA 23 with DLC much like the WC 2022 last year, but there's been no promotion or marketing surrounding it.

I imagine they're going to stealth launch it abruptly like they did with that massive women database update they added a couple of months ago.

I'm curious if this will be an authentic WC update with stadiums and missing teams or if it's gonna be some tacked on generic thing where the women's teams all play in their home stadiums like on previous games 🙄
Don't get hopes up. 2019 was all teams and the final stadium. And considering the shambles that was the men's tournament and it's colossal two stadiums...

Back
Top Bottom