FIFA 23 Discussion Thread (Console Versions)

Game is now free on Gamepass and I can't even convince myself to download it.
I bought the game on XSX when discounted early this year iirc to play may be around 10 matches until now.. found that it reaches gamepass since i have ultimate subscription so i can test it on my pc.. just downloaded, played one match, this my first reaction :LOL::SS:II

They’ve absolutely fucked this game now after the last patch. It’s played at the speed of light! What’s worse is your defenders go awol.

it’s completely unplayable now.
I was under the impression game was in a horrible state since release. It must be an exceptional achievement for them to manage to make it even worse.

Its a good game really, lots of variation, not perfect but no game is.

However it usually goes something like this:

Release: Gameplay is acceptable
First patch: gameplay is ruined
Second patch Gameplay is fixed
Third patch: gameplay is ruined

then times that by however many patches we have had, broken then fixed, broken then fixed and on and on. Its peaks and troughs. I for one cant wait till they are done with 23, at least I can then tweak sliders without fear of patching or updates.

Its a good game really, lots of variation, not perfect but no game is.

However it usually goes something like this:

Release: Gameplay is acceptable
First patch: gameplay is ruined
Second patch Gameplay is fixed
Third patch: gameplay is ruined

then times that by however many patches we have had, broken then fixed, broken then fixed and on and on. Its peaks and troughs. I for one cant wait till they are done with 23, at least I can then tweak sliders without fear of patching or updates.
I haven't played it, I have just watched again career mode gameplay on YT. I would really like to know where do you find a good game in this. Players skating, players doing 15 steps on the same spot, AI never crosses the ball, GKs dive backwards, defenders are always out of position. I can go on and fill another 2 pages. I would genuinely like to know if you don't see any of the above.

I haven't played it, I have just watched again career mode gameplay on YT. I would really like to know where do you find a good game in this. Players skating, players doing 15 steps on the same spot, AI never crosses the ball, GKs dive backwards, defenders are always out of position. I can go on and fill another 2 pages. I would genuinely like to know if you don't see any of the above.
That’s not strictly true. I play exhibition games and the ai does cross. Yes there’s skating but it wasn’t as apparent a few patches back they seem to have reintroduced in the last few changes where it looks worse than ever.

Literally the opposite of realistic
Yes the gamespeed is too high and there is no transition between the control of the ball and the execution of the pass. If there wasn't FUMA in the title, I think it looks like FUTO. But online there is no sliders or MOD.

Offline, you can see nice actions from CPU

Last edited:
Literally the opposite of realistic
Yet you were saying it's the best FIFA ever or something similar just a few months ago. You changed your tune.

And don't give us the 'updates' excuse, none of these FIFA updates change the game that much.

FIFA 23 has been shit since day 1. No sliders or updates or whatever was going to change the basic fundamentals.

Yeah i changed my mind , perfectly fine to do that. I enjoyed it on day one and for a few weeks after, it got progressively worse , I got back into pes 21 but modded and never looked back.

It's a weird one. You've got the people here who likes the PES "more sim" approach who dislike the game, so you think "OK, it's for the online lobby who love Mario smash football speed's of gameplay", but they dislike it too complaining of it being too slow.

I just played a few matches of PES 3 this morning and recently just finished a kick-off match on Fifa 23 (Ajaccio v Rennes for those wondering). It does feel a lot slower compared to PES 3 (and that's PES 3 at 0.91 speed). I do like the gameplay still, and just had a match with 19 shots to me and 10 to the AI, yet it finish 1-1 with me scored late from a crossed-in free kick. The big issue for me with Fifa is the gameplay isn't exquisite. There was the old saying about peak PES, with the "just one more game" feeling. I don't really feel it with Fifa. I play one match, maybe two, and I'm satisfied. Might you, I rarely play any game longer than 45 mins to an hour anymore, so perhaps part of that critique is just my own changes towards gaming. I see people's complaints of the skating and all this, and I can see past it all. And until Konami finally pull the trigger on Top Player for Trial Match, it's all I have.

Yet you were saying it's the best FIFA ever or something similar just a few months ago. You changed your tune.

And don't give us the 'updates' excuse, none of these FIFA updates change the game that much.

FIFA 23 has been shit since day 1. No sliders or updates or whatever was going to change the basic fundamentals.
Let's not bully someone because they've changed their mind about something, let alone what game they like. It's only a game.

I agree with you about the game entirely and I'll argue all day about why I truly, without exaggeration, think it's the worst FIFA of all-time - but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to change their opinion. Let's just be glad we have another person who agrees with our general feeling, because the more people that express it, the more chance FIFA will ever change.

(We just need another, what, 10 million...)

Every now and then, this pops up on my Instagram timeline, and I think "how the hell does this look more physics-based than FIFA".

Makes you realise if just one dev tried to make a genuinely different (realistic) football game... I honestly think it could be huge. Sigh.

Let's not bully someone because they've changed their mind about something, let alone what game they like. It's only a game.

I agree with you about the game entirely and I'll argue all day about why I truly, without exaggeration, think it's the worst FIFA of all-time - but everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to change their opinion. Let's just be glad we have another person who agrees with our general feeling, because the more people that express it, the more chance FIFA will ever change.

(We just need another, what, 10 million...)
You’re right. In fact, I’ve changed my mind on FIFA before. I enjoy it. No I don’t! Yes I do - I think? It’s a mess of a game these days.

I still go back to my point about updates though. Do they really change gameplay that much? I think it’s placebo effect a lot of the time.

But maybe I don’t play enough of FIFA 23 to notice the changes.

It's a weird one. You've got the people here who likes the PES "more sim" approach who dislike the game, so you think "OK, it's for the online lobby who love Mario smash football speed's of gameplay", but they dislike it too complaining of it being too slow.

I just played a few matches of PES 3 this morning and recently just finished a kick-off match on Fifa 23 (Ajaccio v Rennes for those wondering). It does feel a lot slower compared to PES 3 (and that's PES 3 at 0.91 speed). I do like the gameplay still, and just had a match with 19 shots to me and 10 to the AI, yet it finish 1-1 with me scored late from a crossed-in free kick. The big issue for me with Fifa is the gameplay isn't exquisite. There was the old saying about peak PES, with the "just one more game" feeling. I don't really feel it with Fifa. I play one match, maybe two, and I'm satisfied. Might you, I rarely play any game longer than 45 mins to an hour anymore, so perhaps part of that critique is just my own changes towards gaming. I see people's complaints of the skating and all this, and I can see past it all. And until Konami finally pull the trigger on Top Player for Trial Match, it's all I have.
Well said. I agree, there is that feeling we chase in these footy games of "one more game" and it's just not as common as it used to be. I still play FIFA 23 daily. I enjoy it because I know how bad it was before and I recall the feeling of not playing any FIFA games.

I think a big thing is accepting what you've stepped into. I've explained what this is so many times, but in general, it's FIFA. There are people who have PES expectations for FIFA, and that's just setting yourself up for disappointment. I see users post a 6-second clip of the ball warping through a player as if we should be shocked that this isn't FIFA.

I went into 23 with low FIFA expectations. So balls warping past players, poor positioning, rapid passing and shooting, those were already part of the general expectation. The low part was thinking they were going to really mess up the defending, the positioning, the reaction to the ball, the midfielders not tracking back as bad as FIFA 21. To my surprise, it really wasn't that bad, and those low expectations allowed me, and the OS crew, to work towards addressing one issue at a time. Those low expectations never changed though, but instead they started to shift to more specific expectations. So for example, in passing I had low expectations that the CPU would perform any pass variety (FIFA has always been dribble-dribble-pass post FIFA 16), but the more we tried different things, the more those low expectations allowed us to be completely entertained and applauding what the game was possible of doing.

From passing to shooting, to general build-up, to resistance on the pitch - every time we conquered something, we just sat there with our jaws dropping. It's been absolutely incredible. I play daily because I am so curious of what's next. What haven't I seen yet? Every single match I play, I have about 5-10 recordings of sequence of plays that are just incredible. I don't remember many, if any, games that made me do that. PES 5 was probably the last one. I think that says something.

You’re right. In fact, I’ve changed my mind on FIFA before. I enjoy it. No I don’t! Yes I do - I think? It’s a mess of a game these days.

I still go back to my point about updates though. Do they really change gameplay that much? I think it’s placebo effect a lot of the time.

But maybe I don’t play enough of FIFA 23 to notice the changes.
100% they change the game in both pes and fifa

There was one patch in fifa 22 where they slowed it down , clipping had been all but sorted , fouls and penalties were in and then a couple of weeks later back to how it was.
Pes has done the same especially with fouls , loads one patch zero the next.

Well said. I agree, there is that feeling we chase in these footy games of "one more game" and it's just not as common as it used to be. I still play FIFA 23 daily. I enjoy it because I know how bad it was before and I recall the feeling of not playing any FIFA games.

I think a big thing is accepting what you've stepped into. I've explained what this is so many times, but in general, it's FIFA. There are people who have PES expectations for FIFA, and that's just setting yourself up for disappointment. I see users post a 6-second clip of the ball warping through a player as if we should be shocked that this isn't FIFA.

I went into 23 with low FIFA expectations. So balls warping past players, poor positioning, rapid passing and shooting, those were already part of the general expectation. The low part was thinking they were going to really mess up the defending, the positioning, the reaction to the ball, the midfielders not tracking back as bad as FIFA 21. To my surprise, it really wasn't that bad, and those low expectations allowed me, and the OS crew, to work towards addressing one issue at a time. Those low expectations never changed though, but instead they started to shift to more specific expectations. So for example, in passing I had low expectations that the CPU would perform any pass variety (FIFA has always been dribble-dribble-pass post FIFA 16), but the more we tried different things, the more those low expectations allowed us to be completely entertained and applauding what the game was possible of doing.

From passing to shooting, to general build-up, to resistance on the pitch - every time we conquered something, we just sat there with our jaws dropping. It's been absolutely incredible. I play daily because I am so curious of what's next. What haven't I seen yet? Every single match I play, I have about 5-10 recordings of sequence of plays that are just incredible. I don't remember many, if any, games that made me do that. PES 5 was probably the last one. I think that says something.
Hi Matt
You said exactly what i think about the game.
Before, my expectations were very low because the speed of the beta was high and no stop pass-pass-shoot system was the heart of this game.

But after having some nice moments with it with the retail version, the game could be really nice to play, with realistic actions. The master issue is the most bugged FIFA for years so very instable.

But like you i play it daily, and I record a lot of nice actions from me and from the CPU. I have seen many new animations, like this one from CPU

You can score bangers with amazing crosses!

I played it because i really like it. I'm sad when i saw very strange videos but there are real. This game could be the best but the worst too! That 's a big problem.
But I have Hope for EAFC24 if sliders could be more efficient and the gamespeed more stable!

Last edited:
Every now and then, this pops up on my Instagram timeline, and I think "how the hell does this look more physics-based than FIFA".

Makes you realise if just one dev tried to make a genuinely different (realistic) football game... I honestly think it could be huge. Sigh.

This is fake.

This is where FIFA is excellent (that is, when the code doesn't override the physics of a situation and make the ball fly off his head and a mile down the pitch simply because an input was registered, which it often does in my experience):

Back
Top Bottom