Votes: 53 25.2%
  • I have already pre-ordered it

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • I'll wait for the sales to get it cheaper

Votes: 30 14.3%
  • I'm still not sure

Votes: 53 25.2%

• Total voters
animations make it look great to me, more animations make it look like a match on tv, with broadcast camera of course.

this great player model thing in PES is overrated. it's poor animations that kill PES.

Doesn't look like they improved the clunky animation which means dribbling is underpowered until you use 100+ skill moves. They need to go back to ignite engine and use FIFA 16 as a base and fix all the issues.

Gameplay is utterly disgusting. Body placement doesnt affect shot power or accuracy. Passes come from behind a player and the player doesnt even look as he shoots

animations make it look great to me, more animations make it look like a match on tv, with broadcast camera of course.

this great player model thing in PES is overrated. it's poor animations that kill PES.

Player models look worse on Pes too. Look how thic everyone's ass is on Pes 19. Looks unrealistic. And tucked in shirts in Pes 19 looks garbage.

Kit models in FiFA is actually perfect. Its the proportion of players limbs that look off in FiFA.

Okay, just played several matches of the Beta, all kickoff matches in the Champions League. I played all matches with Man Utd, Legendary, with default assists. Here's some impressions with more to come.

First, it's really odd starting the game up in Champions League. It felt like playing PES, since that's the only mode in PES I've played in years.

About gameplay, it's clear this isn't the finished product. There's some wonky shit going on. And some things it's hard to tell if it's indicative of an intentional change or if it's just the build.

But two things stood out immediately: one, the new arrows over the heads of defenders that you'll switch to is confusing as fuck at first (this can be turned off though). The second, defending/tackling is very different, but I expect at least part of that is this build.

With defending, two things are immediately noticeable. First, tackling is way more effective. It's actually OP. But if the final build is anything like the beta - and it's going to be somewhat 'cause you can see the clear changes they've made - feeling totally helpless in defense is a thing of the past. Defenders now "lock-on" a bit better and attackers feel less slippery, if that makes sense.

Defensive mechanics have probably been my biggest criticism of the game in recent years so I'm excited about how defending feels in the beta but we'll see what the final build is like. But from what I'm seeing, defenders feel more capable in their tackling - I was really thrown off at first how easy it was to tackle and get the ball. This is for the user defenders at least; CPU defenders felt a tad weak.

The other thing that's noticeable with defending is teammates help out more and players close down better. With teammates helping, I will say it's inconsistent - sometimes you'll see a teammate close down like they should or track back or follow a dribbler from behind (which they pretty much never would in the past) but other times they still stand still.

Two big negatives stood out: One, there's still no fouls unless you use a skill move. It actually seemed worse than 18 and some of it's gotta be the build 'cause I saw shit that was a foul every day in 18. Usually at least I get called for fouls in 18 (since defending sucked and I'd always get frustrated and make bad tackles at some point), but in the beta I've seen hardly any fouls at all. In one case, I absolutely manhandled an attacker and nothing was called, so I'm pretty sure it's gotta be the build. Regardless, I'm worried that we're looking at another year of way too few fouls (at least by the CPU).

The second negative is the lack of CPU aggressiveness in defense, which I believe is the main reason there's a lack of fouls. They simply didn't close down like they should at times. When I'd get up ahead, the CPU did get aggressive and would close down, but in those times they played like they should at default almost. So the aggressiveness is in the game, it just needs to be turned up at their default settings.

Actually, one other negative: there's still issues with the backline AI. Playing against Man City, it was too easy to create openings and confuse the defenders. I didn't see this problem as much against Liverpool, although I was still able to exploit the space behind the fullbacks too easily like in 18, so I think it's either related to tactics or the formation. But I did see a pretty big difference between how the two attacked - Liverpool liked to play long balls to Salah, and Man City played a more possession based game. Oddly though, Man City's press gave me way more trouble than Liverpool's. I thought Man City played like Man City, or close enough, but Liverpool wasn't quite right.

A couple other thoughts: shooting is way OP in terms of speed, though I thought error was better - there were a few shots that surely would've been on target in 18 that missed in the beta. Still, accuracy is too high (so is first time passing, as usual). But as it is now, you'll probably never need to use the new double-tap shooting feature. That said, I hit some amazing screamers from long distance with the new mechanic, though none went in. I think it could be a really fun addition if they make regular shooting less effective so that there's actually a point in attempting the new mechanic. I've read a lot of press impressions in which they said they couldn't get the hang of it but I think I was successful about one out of three tries.

Last, and maybe this should've been first, the game felt really fast. I'm not someone who ever complained about 18's gameplay speed, and I play on Normal, but the beta felt too hyper at times. Hopefully it's just the build but the speed felt quicker than 18, which is surprising since I'd read a lot of press impressions that said the opposite. I will say though that players felt a little heavier, and while it felt faster, there were fewer chances created (maybe that's just me not being used to the new version of the game).

I gotta run but my main take away is this felt much more balanced between attack and defense due to the improved tackling. All the new touches and animations are great, as you'd expect, but for me, I'm sick of seeing 3-4 scorelines. The only bit that undermined the better balanced gameplay was that shooting felt OP and I scored some easy goals due to backline AI issues.

Still, the game feels more balanced than 18 for sure, and I absolutely loved for the first time in years being able to tackle and dispossess dribblers on the regular if they weren't smart with the ball, but in the end it's going to come down to how the final build plays (duh).

What I played was only kick-off matches, so as we all know CM and other modes can play differently. I'll be banging out tons more games this weekend and up until the end of the beta, so we'll see if my early impressions stick. If you have questions, lemme know.

Cheers. I'm out.

Last edited:
Thanks @mfmaxpower very insightful.
Could you describe the dribbling? How does it feel? Is it even possible? Cuz it was almost impossible in 17 and 18.

Thanks @mfmaxpower very insightful.
Could you describe the dribbling? How does it feel? Is it even possible? Cuz it was almost impossible in 17 and 18.

Hmm, describe impossible. Because for me, dribbling was over-powered in 18, just like pretty much every other element of attacking play. In previous iterations defenders didn't close down correctly, there's tons of space, defenders were way too easily fooled by skills and simple momentum feints, and tackling mechanics were poor, I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that dribbling was impossible.

Regardless, dribbling felt the same. There's a lot of new animations that enhance dribbling, and I saw a lot of new touches and automatic feints that allowed my players to maneuver through tight situations better than before, but dribbling at it's core is still the same. If you're expecting to be able to dribble by defenders by using the left stick alone, it ain't going to happen. You have to shield, use properly timed speed bursts, momentum, and feints and skills.

I hope dribbling is more like FIFA 17 than FIFA 18 if it's not like FIFA 16. FIFA 18 introduced delay if you dribbled without skill moves almost seems like there was missing dribbling animation. However my main issue in FIFA 18 was that all teams played the same way where the defender would just send a forward pass directly to the striker and a lot of cutback goals. Also what @P34SEMM said is also a huge issue in FIFA 18. I can easily beat teams like Man City, Barca and Real Madrid 4-0 or 5-1 using Coventry in Legendary by just passing around the defense and playing tiki taka. Hopefully it's harder to play against top teams now.

Played about 20 matches of FUT in the closed beta so giving my impresssions of it.

The pace of the game is a lot slower,probably not far off PES 2019 pace.Pace is not a big factor at the moment,you can get a small burst of pace on the ball but you get caught by a defender,i suppose some call it a catch up bug but it could also be classed as realistic as you run slower while dribbling a football.

You have to put more effort into passing,it is not like Fifa 18 where they are all laser guided to your players feet.

At the moment if you want to succeed you need to be passing the ball around and often backwards to find some space.Lumping the ball up to Jesus and Rashford like in Fifa 18 is not going to work often unless they get lucky.Also just running like a headless chicken with Jesus and Rashford is not going to work either

Goalkeepers are hit and miss,sometimes they will make a worldy other times they will let a shot in that they should be saving.Think maybe goalkeepers at the start of FUT 2018 but not as bad.They are not spiderman keepers like Fifa 18

I haven't tried the timed finsih yet but you can turn it off....not sure if you can turn it off online or not

Not sure what else to say as i am not the best at looking into things very deeply like some people do.I can say that 99% of the Fifa FUT community will not like this game,they will think it is too slow and passing to difficult.Most Fifa players want to get the ball as far up the pitch as quick as possible like a basketball match.....

At the moment the game is more like PES and for me that is a good thing

I might add that most teams are lower rated players so maybe that will count for the slower pace but....i have faced suarez and i was able to contain him ok with 75 rated players in defence due to my opponent trying to use the Fifa 18 tactic of trying to run through my defence with him

Dribbling is quite difficult as you can get caught quickly.It is not like Fifa 17 or 18 at all where you can run past a whole defence from kick off

Pace of the beta is definitely slower and slow build up play is essential to break down opponents defense. Passing even on fully assisted feels far less assisted than previous FIFA games and the new shooting mechanic takes some getting used to. Active touch is cool but I feel will be abused online.

Difficult as in CPU AI is better or it's clunky?

I am playing FUT online so its a combination of clunky dribbling and player catch up.The players feel heavier like recent PES games.Add a real lack of pace to the mix then i find dribbling difficult to do for any real distance.So far it is more of a passing game than running about with the ball too much with one player....That is the best i can describe it so i hope you can understand a bit

PES 2019 is more dribbling friendly than Fifa 19.....Online on FUT anyway but i am no master at football games,just average

Last edited:
I hope the defending and player switching has been greatly improved and that EA have brought back the sound of the ball being kicked. Otherwise, I hope FIFA 19 is very similar to FIFA 18 offline.

I am playing FUT online so its a combination of clunky dribbling and player catch up.The players feel heavier like recent PES games.Add a real lack of pace to the mix then i find dribbling difficult to do for any real distance.So far it is more of a passing game than running about with the ball too much with one player....That is the best i can describe it so i hope you can understand a bit

PES 2019 is more dribbling friendly than Fifa 19.....Online on FUT anyway but i am no master at football games,just average

Whats your squad look like? I find 18 feels a bit like you have described when using lesser players. WC mode did when I had a very basic side as did FUT Inthe first two months.

Whats your squad look like? I find 18 feels a bit like you have described when using lesser players. WC mode did when I had a very basic side as did FUT Inthe first two months.

Just mid range golds from the EFL Championship,mid 70s a couple of 80 rated players,quite a weak team,no chem styles on them

I have faced Suarez and Allesandrini among others and my opponents seem to be struggling the same way i have been with dribbling etc with them higher rated players.

I didn't play world cup mode so can't really compare

@mfmaxpower - that’s one of my annoyances with fifa18 is that it’s so easy to create chances against the top 4, Barca, Real etc.

Yeah, unfortunately this still seems to be a thing. Now that I've got more games under my belt, I'm finding it too easy to score, again. For example, in my last several kick-off matches, I've put 6 past Spurs, 4 past Man City, and 4 against Liverpool.

I'm liking the improvements to the user side of defending, for the most part, but CPU defending still seems to be not up to snuff.

Dribbling is quite difficult as you can get caught quickly.It is not like Fifa 17 or 18 at all where you can run past a whole defence from kick off

Not sure I agree with this. Yes, some of the dribbling exploits seem to have been addressed. If that's what you mean, I agree. Like for example I've yet to see too many (any?) examples where a skill move would confuse defenders like in 18, and they've closed some of the gaps and exploits (though the flanks are still too easy a bypass of the midfield) but I don't find dribbling difficult.

In fact, there seems a pretty big imbalance right now between how effective CPU is on the dribble and the user. For example, I just finished playing against Man City where I had 21 tackles to their 3. Those are definitely not stats that indicate that dribbling is difficult.

So pretty much FIFA 18 then? FIFA and PES is so obsessed with tiki taka football, it's unreal.

So pretty much FIFA 18 then

Kind of but slower...The game won't stay like it anyway,it will be back to 100mph after 2 weeks.Anyone who likes a slower pace(like me) will like it,but the average 15 year old Fifa fan who likes to run up and down the pitch with Gabriel Jesus will hate it

Not sure I agree with this. Yes, some of the dribbling exploits seem to have been addressed. If that's what you mean, I agree. Like for example I've yet to see too many (any?) examples where a skill move would confuse defenders like in 18, and they've closed some of the gaps and exploits (though the flanks are still too easy a bypass of the midfield) but I don't find dribbling difficult.

In fact, there seems a pretty big imbalance right now between how effective CPU is on the dribble and the user. For example, I just finished playing against Man City where I had 21 tackles to their 3. Those are definitely not stats that indicate that dribbling is difficult.

Maybe i am just bad at dribbling then.I find it difficult as you get caught up easier so then you have to either try and slow down and turn out of trouble or get a pass off

Maybe i am just bad at dribbling then.I find it difficult as you get caught up easier so then you have to either try and slow down and turn out of trouble or get a pass off

Well I wouldn't necessarily conclude that - others are making similar complaints in the beta forum, so you're not the only one. Left stick dribbling does feel a little slow and sluggish at times, but overall I think we have more than enough tools at our disposal to be effective when it comes to dribbling. Personally I think some things are still OP, like LB close dribble - it's still too easy to create an open shot by using LB to throw off a defender.

But I think the complaints over dribbling are down to three things, all of which take getting used to:
  1. Midfielders are better at tracking back. So you'll get caught from behind more often than previously, which is surprising at first.
  2. Some of the space and exploits aren't so easy to take advantage of. It used to be that you could exploit gaps in space with the use of sprint more often, so you have to work a little harder to create those opportunities.
  3. Tactical setup can influence stamina which can influence speed. The new constant pressure defensive option is really interesting. For the first time in forever, you can truly play a high pressing game (thank the gods), and it's super effective, but wow your players are dead in the latter part of the game if that's how you play the whole match.
Lots of people are complaining about lack of speed with fast players, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is adjusted some. But I just played Spurs with Everton and I had no problem beating and staying ahead of defenders with Walcott - you just have to use double knock ons. And be more mindful that defenders are more active tracking back and closing down.

At the same time, in the last 20 minutes or so Walcott couldn't beat anyone with his pace because of the high pressure I was playing. I don't think he could've beaten a snail. So you're going to get caught easier from behind if you're not careful of how much you're sprinting and pressing.

I think it's better balanced than before but I could certainly see this being an area that is refined in the final version. There's quite a bit that feels raw and unpolished right now.

Back
Top Bottom