FIFA 19 Demo Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played it yesterday and enjoyed it AND I also enjoy PES.
I didnt think it was too fast, but i did see a lot of pingpong and not a lot of misplaced passes.
PES does have an advantage on how players move, they feel so much organic... but then again the AI in FIFA is much better .

I think fifa with sliders and ability to change teamates ai difficulty will result in a game with great opportunities for tweaking gameplay

Fifa will be my career mode as MasterLeague is worst than getting an urethra exam by edward scissorhands

Except that's not true, manual isn't completely manual and never really has been, manual passes with a good player stand out from manual passes with a bad player, I've played more than enough Fifa over the years to see that. Vision stat especially plays a bit part in it.

Obviously it's my own feeling for the game, I want to win or lose on my own merits and that's the feeling I have when playing all manual in contrast to assisted or semi.

I agree that manual doesn't entirely remove stats from the equation and I completely get where you're coming from with wanting that satisfaction that comes from manual. That used to be me too but the game has changed so much that now I find that I have to make serious slider adjustments if I play manual or else it's just way too much a handicap, and I personally don't enjoy how those slider changes alter the rest of the game.

To each's own and I think it's great that FIFA offers people like you the opportunity to customize gameplay more to your liking. At the same time though, I think it's bullshit and poor programming that we have to rely on sliders and manual/semi assistance settings for the game to be a challenge. If Konami can do it, pretty sure EA can too.

Besides, FIFA has like 8 friggin difficulty levels for goodness sake's - at least one should be a challenge!

To each's own and I think it's great that FIFA offers people like you the opportunity to customize gameplay more to your liking. At the same time though, I think it's bullshit and poor programming that we have to rely on sliders and manual/semi assistance settings for the game to be a challenge. If Konami can do it, pretty sure EA can too.

100% agree with all of that except for the last bit, Konami's SP is completely broken and not fit for purpose (but of course this isn't the thread for that!) :)

100% agree with all of that except for the last bit, Konami's SP is completely broken and not fit for purpose (but of course this isn't the thread for that!) :)

Oh don't get me wrong, PES right now is a hot mess, both on and off the pitch. But at least it's a challenge to create chances on Superstar. That's all I meant.

I'm coming from FIFA 16 to this. Does anyone else think that manual is a lot easier then it used to be? How manual is now I don't really see the need for semi and assisted, they would make the game to easy on any difficulty level I think.

Don't you find the power gauge extra long to fill up on manual with the demo? I need a second and half pressing the cross button to get the same power in my pass than the cpu does at a lightening speed. I really had to switch to semi assisted because of that. Too bad...

Been playing this to death today. Here are my impressions...

- First off all, to all those saying the game speed is too high, what are you smoking? If anything, it's a bit slower and more grounded than Fifa 18.
- The 50/50 battles are an absolute game-changer. Finally the battles on the pitch actually feel organic and they lead to some genuine random moments.
- The AI is so varied and the teams actually seem to play like their real-life counterparts. When I played against City, they pressed me into so many mistakes.
- Individual players actually feel lifelike. Mbappe is so lethal.
- There is a bit of ping-pong at times so maybe that will get toned down slightly.
- The presentation is top notch. Commentary is getting stale but it's still miles ahead of PES.
- Keepers react realistically and don't just stand on their line!
- RIP PES.

No disrespect to you guys who enjoy manual...but

F**k manual....we didn’t have to switch to it back in the day...stats did the talking.

If I am on the ball with Modric his passing range and accuracy should be better than a Preston North End midfielder.

There is an arrogance in the football gaming communities these days when it comes to manual...[I don’t mean you btw @Placebo you seem like a top guy]

But yes....I always get snide remarks on reddit ‘ huh you don’t play manual noob ‘

No I don’t. Because the AI doesn’t use it why should I hinder myself??

First off all, to all those saying the game speed is too high, what are you smoking? If anything, it's a bit slower and more grounded than Fifa 18.
Whatever it is, it's certainly not as strong as yours. It's ridiculously fast. You watch real-life football side by side.

- First off all, to all those saying the game speed is too high, what are you smoking? If anything, it's a bit slower and more grounded than Fifa 18.
- The 50/50 battles are an absolute game-changer. Finally the battles on the pitch actually feel organic and they lead to some genuine random moments.
- The AI is so varied and the teams actually seem to play like their real-life counterparts. When I played against City, they pressed me into so many mistakes.
- There is a bit of ping-pong at times so maybe that will get toned down slightly.
- The presentation is top notch. Commentary is getting stale but it's still miles ahead of PES.
- RIP PES.
You didn’t need to end the post with RIP PES because this is the kind of childish stuff we see too much BUT a very good summary and I agree with your points.

Oh Placebo, no no no, please don't start this... It doesn't equal arcade, it equals simulation based on attributes whereas manual equals every player is essentially the same generic player...

Hold up..

Assistance does not equate to being based on attributes. Assistance literally overrides player attributes.

Assistance is the game taking your command and filtering that through both player attributes and it's own assistance programs. (user input, stats, and assistance)

Manual is how well the player/game can fulfill your command (user input and stats).

Now whether you feel one or other makes the less or generic is personal taste is a subjective, but the distinction still stands.

The former means that certain passing lanes and shots literally become impossible on assisted, as the in-built assisted filters prevent them of occurring - this is how "sweet spots" and such develop on assisted controls, because you're working off the assisted patterns of the game. For me personally I find this less realistic because in real life even bad players are capable of passing in the full 360 range, they are just less capable of doing it consistently.

Let me ask this: Do you feel the same criticisms of 'players feeling generic' apply in regards to dribbling?

Because dribbling is full manual - you have control of the full 360 degree range, and player attributes determine how well your inputs are executed. There is no assistance in dribbling like there is in passing, where if you, for example, point the stick toward a defender and are about to run into them and get tackled, the game won't override your command and turn your further left just because your Messi and have high dribbling stats. No, you would pay the price of your command, by running into the player and getting tackled. But Messi still behaves differently from other players and he has closer ball control, takes smaller steps, has a better burst, etc - because those are his attributes in function.

Think shooting is bit overpowered on the CPU side, headers also seem to be, most of my goals have come via crosses.

So you've totally disregarded it after one 5-minute match? If you're going to nail your colours to a mast, I'd suggest giving them both equal play time otherwise it's hard to take opinions like this seriously.
That's a bit like saying if you don't like the song you just heard listen to it as much as songs you do like just to see. It will eventually get drummed into head and start to like.

That is a crazy way of doing things in life you should never force yourself to like something you don't like. I have been a Fifa fan more than PES since PES 2008 / Fifa 08 and after playing this years games I don't need to force myself to play Fifa as much as PES 2019 just to try and like it as much. I think you give bad advice.

Last edited:
That's a bit like saying if you don't like the song you just heard listen to it as much as songs you do like just to see. It will eventually get drummed into head and start to like.
It is literally nothing like that.

If you play once, you don't see the variation from playing one team to another, you don't see how tactics make a difference depending on the tactics of the team you're facing. You're only seeing one scenario. What if your first game is a high-pressing tiki-taka team against another? You'd come away with a completely false impression.

What you're suggesting is more like judging a book based on page one. Which is mental.

But given the tone of your posts, you're not going to be happy until you've said "it's shit" a thousand times.

FYI, we get it. You don't like it. Don't try to force that opinion on everyone like a fanboy.

That is a crazy way of doing things in life you should never force yourself to like something you don't like. I have been a Fifa fan more than PES since PES 2008 / Fifa 08 and after playing this years games I don't need to force myself to play Fifa as much as PES 2019 just to try and like it as much.
Its just the other way round. You listen to a song of a well known band and think: A, it’s just the same tune like the last albums. But if you listen with patience, you probably recognise a different level.
What some of us want, is probably a totally different kind of music.

Hold up..

Assistance literally overrides player attributes.

This is inaccurate. Assistance does not override anything, it's just one variable that goes into the equation that results in the output.

It's quite simple really. You have three variables that go into every pass or shot: user input (with or without assistance), contextual elements (physics, body position, ball bounce, etc.), and player attributes.

Assistance doesn't override attributes. Assistance only helps you target, then attributes are applied along with contextual error.

And the reason why it feels like player attributes matter less when playing manual is because user input plays a larger role in the equation. A bigger role for user input equals a lesser role for attributes.

For anyone that's interested, here's the recounting from reddit of how a developer explained the way passing works:
Sam explains that the game reads your input first and checks the aim and power of your pass. The game “draws a line” towards your manual target, and then the game searches for the closest player to that target.

Once the target is acquired, the in game player’s attributes are applied, along with physics calculation. The game then determines the margin of error for the pass and releases the ball.

Interestingly, Kantcho points out the vision attribute. Players with high vision have a better tactical understanding of the game, it’s like they have eyes in the back of their head and can see behind them. This makes sense in a football context, as quality midfielders are constantly swiveling their heads around to survey their surroundings.

Anyway, players with a mix of good passing attributes and good vision will be able to pull of riskier passes. Meanwhile, a lower rated player would have to complete a full turn if you want to pass at an awkward angle, and the margin for error on their pass is much higher.​

It is literally nothing like that.

If you play once, you don't see the variation from playing one team to another, you don't see how tactics make a difference depending on the tactics of the team you're facing. You're only seeing one scenario. What if your first game is a high-pressing tiki-taka team against another? You'd come away with a completely false impression.

What you're suggesting is more like judging a book based on page one. Which is mental.

But given the tone of your posts, you're not going to be happy until you've said "it's shit" a thousand times.

FYI, we get it. You don't like it. Don't try to force that opinion on everyone like a fanboy.

^^This. And that's why it's ridiculous to hear people denounce either game after only a short go with it, let alone people who talk about playing one game or not even that and turning it off, claiming it's rubbish.

Play FIFA enough and PES feels horribly unresponsive, unintuitive, and sluggish. Push through to the point when PES is the new norm or baseline and then you can really appreciate what it gets right.

It's the same with FIFA. Boot up FIFA after PES and the game feels and looks gross. It feels hyper-responsive, way too fast, etc. Give it time and it becomes the new norm and you can begin to see what it does really well.

It's not that first impressions are entirely inaccurate but they're not complete. Play enough of one game and that style becomes normal so of course the other game is going to feel off. But give each game enough time and you get used to things. Again, not saying FIFA isn't too fast or the animations, physics, and body models are as good as they are in PES, but if you give the game enough of a chance I find you can get used to some of this.

What’s the best way of receiving a pass real close? I’m used to pressing close control but in fifa I use protect the ball sometimes.
Played 2 matches with the demo (need to up the difficulty). The presentation is so lovely. Oh boy.
Players feel much lighter. The power bar could fill faster (fuma), maybe I’m just not used to it. Headers are to fast or powerful for my liking.
The audio is so lovely too. Gfx are ok/nice.
Wish I had more play time with each halve.

That is a crazy way of doing things in life you should never force yourself to like something you don't like. I have been a Fifa fan more than PES since PES 2008 / Fifa 08 and after playing this years games I don't need to force myself to play Fifa as much as PES 2019 just to try and like it as much. I think you give bad advice.

What is this?
When you listen to a song, it plays the same notes, chords, and melodies every time you hear it .You play one game of football for less than 5 minutes and declare it inferior even though it plays differently literally every single time!?

This is inaccurate. Assistance does not override anything, it's just one variable that goes into the equation that results in the output.

It's a variable, yes, and that variable effects other variables, and it invariably overrides something. Otherwise what is it doing?

It's quite simple really. You have three variables that go into every pass or shot: user input (with or without assistance), contextual elements (physics, body position, ball bounce, etc.), and player attributes.

No, you just described manual passing.

You literally left out the variable that you just mentioned - assistance!

Assistance doesn't override attributes. Assistance only helps you target, then attributes are applied along with contextual error.

"helps you target" is just another way of saying "overrides user input".

This is literally described in the quote you brought up:

Sam explains that the game reads your input first and checks the aim and power of your pass. The game “draws a line” towards your manual target, and then the game searches for the closest player to that target.

Once the target is acquired, the in game player’s attributes are applied, along with physics calculation. The game then determines the margin of error for the pass and releases the ball.

The bolded is the exact moment the assistance overrides user input: You aim, and then the game's assistance searches out what it interprets to be your intended target, and it overrides where you were aiming to enforce that interpreted decision.

This is why, for example, you cannot pass into space with assisted controls like you can in manual controls. Because the game always presumes that you want to pass into the feet of the receiving player. If you do not want to do pass to feet, and want to instead pass to space, then you cannot do that, because the assistance will override your aim.

- RIP PES.

I just played my first two games and, so far, regarding speed i couldn’t agree more. I was expecting it to be super fast but not for me although i also would not complain if it was even slightly slower.

I love the physical battles. There is one bit that i recorded when Kane took a player out accidently and he missed his kick so Kane took advantage and got to the loose ball. I may upload it later.

My only gripe so far is why ‘Spurs’ and not ‘Tottenham’. I know it’s always been this way but i cant understand that.

I just played my first two games and, so far, regarding speed i couldn’t agree more. I was expecting it to be super fast but not for me although i also would not complain if it was even slightly slower.

I love the physical battles. There is one bit that i recorded when Kane took a player out accidently and he missed his kick so Kane took advantage and got to the loose ball. I may upload it later.

My only gripe so far is why ‘Spurs’ and not ‘Tottenham’. I know it’s always been this way but i cant understand that.

If your only gripe is Spurs instead of Tottenham then maybe we have a PES 5/6 killer on our hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom