FIFA 19 Demo Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying these opinions don't have some degree of truth at their core, but for a site of "discerning football gamers" it can seem like people can't wait to jump to conclusions that are clouded by their experiences and loyalties to one game or the other rather than give each a real chance.

Once again it's about opinions and if i recall you mentioned 'Haters' My opinion is i feel there are a a lot of 'discerning football gamers' here and i'm one of them. But for only two credible Football games on this planet we could and should expect more given the resources the one company has. If a company like Sky sports put their resources
behind sports sims then who knows what we could have. I did say that i hadn't played the beta i had on normal but on slow so it would seem faster, in fact i have never played it on 'Normal' we all have our opinions and we are all entitled to question them too. A lot of people have complained of it being 'Too fast' so maybe it is.

Just tried it.

I don't know, for me it's still so much and too much FIFA, not really far away from 18. Really like tactical innovations as well as 50/50 battles. I guess these two would be my top improvements. Bells and whistles, presentation great as usual, even though I'm not a fan of that cinematic look EA always uses, as if it's not a real football game, but more of a kind of CL intro. Color palette is a bit better, but still, outside of CL you would get the same bland look as last year. Other things.. as a purely offline/exhibition player I honestly don't see anything that it does better than PES2019. Maybe shooting and AI, but again, Bayern played a perfect tiki taka at lightning speed in my own third that I could't stop anyhow (on Professional!). Yes, it's also very fast. Ball physics, player models are so much worse than it's competitor. As I would say feeling of football (and satisfaction) in general.

Will keep it in my drive for now, but not impressed so far.

tried it on PS4 I have played worse FIFAs over the years I really like the passing on this one and overall game speed when you are in control of the ball (the AI speed it up when they have it) the player models and faces are pretty ugly but the graphics are a bit better than the horrific 18 ones at least

I’ve always said flipping between the 2 games is a bad idea. You never seem to be happy with either by doing this. In an ideal world there would be a game with the best of both and you’re trying to find that by swapping between both.
I find it’s best to pick one and stick with it until you really dislike it and have tried everything then give the other one a try and do the same.
If you’re not happy after extended time with both then it just means you’ll never really be happy with either.
Good job we had four weeks to do so this year :BOP:

Fantastic goal, amazing atmosphere and celebrations, and the crowd finally look really good, not some 2d pixels, only criticism would be you cut out the replay which I really wanted to see either behind the goal or behind the player shooting, wanted to see the movement on the ball! :)

Thanks. Where exactly do you add the code? Tried at the top but still greyed out

Yes, same here. I have tried pasting those lines in several different places in the locale.ini but the speed option is still greyed out. Can anybody please share their locale.ini with these settings? Thank you

It will still show the same speed/time as before but it will be slower and longer.

Bayern played a perfect tiki taka at lightning speed in my own third that I could't stop anyhow (on Professional!).
So I'm not the only one that saw it.
Just played two BVB vs. Bayern matches and Bayern did the same to me in both games: suddenly they'd start this very fast tiki-taka (but like more than one pass per second, every single one of them being first-touch, every single one of them being inch-perfect) which you have little to no chance to stop, and...
Boom, they're in front of the keeper 100% of the time.

What I need to add is that I had the "interception assist" (again, my game is in Italian so I don't know whether this is the right name in English) turned off, so my players just stared there watching Bayern doing that thing without even thinking of trying to stick their leg out and intercept the passes.
By the way, World Class here (I don't know if it's the right naming for it, just a step below Legendary anyway) and also for me they've been absolutely unstoppable.

I think Bayern are the worst offenders of suddenly switching to "hyper-fast" mode. Everything looks normal until the AI suddenly decides to string five passes together at the speed of light. It looks ridiculous. The ball looks like it's been shot out of a gun.

Had the most enjoyable games playing Dortmund so far. They seem to be the most human of the teams I've played against.

HOW FAST THIS GAME IS?!?!?!?! Beautiful game presentation, fantastic stadium atmoshpere, all those things "behind the scene", but gameplay itself is even more ARCADISH than never before. NORMAL speed game seems to be like FAST on previous FIFA. Ping-pong game and I won't touch it till we are able to changed the game speed to SLOW again. Then I'll test it up properly.

Terryfing how people might same the game speed is ALRIGHT and this game is a football simulation..
But that depends on how you are actually playing the game.

Fifa 18 for me on medium speed was perfect if I played with full manual controls, with slightly reduced passing speed and higher first touch error. With ten minute halves, the game felt fantastic. However, playing with assisted controls, almost every football game will feel aracdey (i'm not saying you are btw). With the demo being 4 minute halves, I have played more with assisted controls and it doesn't feel that bad. It feels better than I expected. Manual controls seems easier than other years, and I think that is because the inertia between the ball and the pitch is stronger, so it is harder to over-hit passes.

I think it's actually superb.

For those moaning about Fifa being too fast and arcadey, just learn manual controls. Makes the game so much more sim like.

First and most important point of the day:
One of the producers is asking for your feedback on Twitter (and he replies to people).

Guys, get on it. If you can send him one succinct tweet, particularly if you have video evidence to attach, do it. He's a guy more likely to listen than the social media guys.

The reason I'm saying this with such urgency, is that there are a lot of comments out there saying that the game is too slow...

Played a bit again today, and the demo seems to suffer from the same thing fifa 18 did last year. Game speed is OK for the first few matches, but just speeds up after you've played for a while. I remember matt having to do the exhibition match on startup to get the game into a level pace. Really weird thing. I've been playing on the broadcast cam today, seems to make the game a bit more challenging, and it feels quite nice too. Try it!

Played a bit again today, and the demo seems to suffer from the same thing fifa 18 did last year. Game speed is OK for the first few matches, but just speeds up after you've played for a while.
I felt that from the word "go" with FIFA 18 - some matches being "normal", then the next match (against similar opposition) being crazy-fast - but when I recorded them and watched them back (and posted them on here), you couldn't really see the difference. Which was infuriating...

I'd love someone to post some videos of the crazy AI first-time-pass tiki-taka (the stuff Bayern are doing - ON PROFESSIONAL, never mind Legendary) and provide it to that guy on Twitter in the post I've just made above. They respond to evidence.

The thing is - given the tactical importance, and the player attributes coming into play, and some great moments in-front of goal that I've seen (the goalkeeper making saves with every part of his body) - I know that on slow and with sliders, it'll be a fantastic game.

I also think that another human being would struggle to do the insane psychic tiki-taka that the AI does, so online might actually be enjoyable too (although obviously, I doubt it - especially if people start nailing the double-tap finishing).

But on its default settings I just can't play it, I played 5-6 games on the demo and felt like I was getting motion sickness.

There's no denying that PES is a million miles better on the ball - but terrible in every other gameplay department (especially AI, every game is the same - something that definitely isn't the case in this).

Last edited:
There's no denying that PES is a million miles better on the ball - but terrible in every other gameplay department (especially AI, every game is the same - something that definitely isn't the case in this).

Chris, not saying it's wrong, but it also highly depends on your settings. Play for example against Tottenham and then against Watford, both equipped with Klashman's tactics, and you will have two completely different games. Good versions of PES are beautiful when you set them up correctly and I think 2019 is one of those. With FIFA though, even best versions, like 2016, produced pretty similar experience not depending which team you play against.

I personally don't have an issue with the general pace of the game.

To me, and this is just my opinion, certain aspects of the AI do give an impression that the game play is too fast. There are certainly phases in the game where the "ping-pong" passing is overpowered and far to accurate which creates a speed up in play. Personally this needs balancing out as it's overkill.

It has the makings of a being a good football sim, but plenty of areas to address.

Graphically, the presentation is spot on. I can see past the ugly player modelling if I am to get a good game of football.

If they are Fifa fans when they say better they mean more like faster likely. Fifa fans love insane speed! edit: just watched video yeah very fast speed.

why is the ball so small in Fifa games. The ball is size 4 ball not 5.

So I downloaded the demo last night and had a game, Man Utd vs Juventus.

First off, I have always been a PES fan at heart, ISS Pro, then PES etc., loved PES from a young age, but then PES went downhill big time, so I reluctantly gave Fifa a try, the licenses were always a nice feature, but gameplay was never quite there. Then Fifa's gameplay started to improve, maybe around 2010 time, felt slower, more tactical. Anyway as Fifa improved PES got worse, but then around about 2015 the shift started happening, Fifa was getting more and more arcadey, and PES was starting to get good again. I have since bought PES 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019. In terms of Fifa I bought Fifa from 2010 up to 2017, I didnt buy 2018 as for the most part, I was happy with PES 18.

So here we are, I have PES19, and in many ways I really like it, graphically it's great, passing and shooting feels very good, you still have them 'only in PES' moments and it feels like a good game of football. However I am mainly playing Master League at the minute, with the online issues, and the AI in attack is ridiculous. It is ruining the game, the pass crosses is a joke, and the keepers not coming off the line doesn't help... oh and long shots? What are they? Thankfully the gameplay MOD (V2) has really improved the game and resolved a lot of these, but obviously it isn't perfect.

So I gave Fifa 19 demo a go... I turned it off after one game.

First things first, the presentation, fantastic. The players look great, not sure if they are as good as PES players, but the detail is great, tattoos etc., but PES probably looks more 'real'. But the crowd etc., fantastic. Commentary, whilst definitely 500x better than PES, wasn't as good as expected, the commentary felt quite slow and robotic to me? I think I heard they have different commentary for different modes, so others may be better.

When the game starts though, the grass looks a little flat compared to PES, definitely think PES looks better on the pitch.
Anyway, I am mainly about the gameplay - It is just too fast and perfect. Yes the AI misplaced the odd pass which was nice, but 90% of the time it was a perfect touch and little dribble then a pass hit at at supersonic speed to the next man, all within about 1 second. Then when the ball was near the box, boom the ball is in the back of the net with inch perfect precision. 2 goals from outside the box.

It just felt like I was playing the game after have 10 lines and 15 cans of redbull. Manic.

Their is no doubt some good features in the game... people have mentioned teams and players personality in the game, which I love the sound of, but I didn't notice it, because my eyeballs didn't get chance to notice it. If it was all slowed down everything wasn't so perfect, it would probably be pretty good... and I know with sliders you can adjust it, but I like playing online so I am not a fan of changing game-speed and such as I know it wont be like that when playing online.

I maybe should give it a few more games, but I couldn't wait to load PES back up.

This is £44.86 on ShopTo. Wish I was still living in UK :(

I have a PS4 Pro and regular PS4 at home so have to buy digitally from now on. £59.99 very pricey but managed to find a code from CDKEYS where you get £45 for £40. Got 2 of those so still got £30 credit left.

Technically, Fifa 19 has cost me £50 as a result which isn't bad for digital.

Only had a couple of matches but still some positives,
-I got a penalty seconds into my 2nd match (haven't had one on PES since 2017)
-on the default passing assistance, the passes go in the direction of the player I intended to pass to, every single time. Whereas I can't play on PA1 in PES as it will always fuck me over a few times in a match

Was shattered last night so went to bed early but this morning I was up early to play the demo.

Loving it so far. Changed tactics to hug touchline and so at any point, I could flip the ball over to the far side and attack from there. Learned about pressing R3 when the ball comes to you high, player chests the ball and you can get a good volley opportunity from that.

At one point, I saw Neymar make a run beyond the defence so used chip to send the ball over. As the ball got close, I pressed R3 and he tried to chest it on the move and then hit L2 shoot to volley it. Went well wide but just the move impressed me so much.

I've got a lot to learn in this game but that's a good sign. Cannot wait to not have to do 4 minute games!

I have a PS4 Pro and regular PS4 at home so have to buy digitally from now on. £59.99 very pricey but managed to find a code from CDKEYS where you get £45 for £40. Got 2 of those so still got £30 credit left.

Technically, Fifa 19 has cost me £50 as a result which isn't bad for digital.
Never used cd keys will check that out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom