FIFA 19 Demo Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the mods and tweaks that can be applied to FIFA - from increasing the AI pressure to slowing the game down considerably or improving the turf texture to something far better - I have no doubt in my mind that this FIFA can go to FIFA-16-levels-of-epic. All the basis and fundamentals are there already. Something far better and more complete than anything I could have imagined a year ago. I'm not worried about the 3 annoyances I'm having right now, all of that can be fixed on PC and it won't take very long after release.

I'm not saying this to start a fight between Consoles and PC, I am truly not. But I feel sorry for the guys on consoles. Because PES is impossible to be fixed unless Konami decides to step the hell up and fix it via official updates, and you can't apply FIFA mods on those platforms, so you're also stuck with whatever EA decides is right for their weekly screwed up updates.

I'm considering that premium origin whatever to get it a week early too.
I have to start informing myself about it now. Is any of you going to get it that way?.

For those saying your players pass and shoot too accurately, try the new setting where you can set the difficulty of your AI team mates at the start of a match. By default it is legendary. I find on Pro or World Class they miss plenty if they are off balance in the slightest.

Problem is I don't think this is an option in CM. Just in kick-off.

I'd love someone to post some videos of the crazy AI first-time-pass tiki-taka (the stuff Bayern are doing - ON PROFESSIONAL, never mind Legendary) and provide it to that guy on Twitter in the post I've just made above. They respond to evidence.

Can't really say that I've noticed this to be an issue this year. I'll pay attention when I play again but I'd hate to give the impression to the devs that the AI needs to be toned down because I'm still finding the demo to be way too easy even Legendary, both in defending and attack.

I reckon the speed setting and sliders have been disabled so EA can filter out the feedback off the demo. Otherwise, with the amount of messages they get, the input on Social Media would be crazy. Impossible for them to tell where the threshold's at.
This way, if out of 100 fans, 80 are saying the game is too slow, 10 are saying the game is perfect and 10 are saying it's too fast... they'll know what to do.

I'm wondering if they dumbed down the AI for the demo. In my first game today I scored with Dortmund on all of my first three possessions of the ball and I'm seeing some really stupid shit from the AI that I swear I don't remember from the beta.

Super worried about the level of difficulty again in FIFA. PES might be a hot mess but at least it's a challenge.

Can't really say that I've noticed this to be an issue this year. I'll pay attention when I play again but I'd hate to give the impression to the devs that the AI needs to be toned down because I'm still finding the demo to be way too easy even Legendary, both in defending and attack.
You worry me so with your posts

I hated Fifa 18 because it’s too easy

I can’t win a game in this demo on legendary though but that might be because I have an infection on my in grown thumbnail and it’s painful playing too long

Is anyone else finding it too easy?

I can’t win a game in this demo on legendary though but that might be because I have an infection on my in grown thumbnail and it’s painful playing too long

Its neither easy nor hard, i find myself playing out 2-2 draws

Drew my first couple of games against CPU, then lost a game.
Now won a few in a row, including the video I posted where I beat Bayern 4-1.

In my past couple of matches I have beaten the CPU quite comfortably and had no less than 70% possession.

I don't think the AI has changed much since FIFA 18, but it does play really annoying Tika Taka, which once you get used to can be easy to defend against.

Personally it is like all FIFA's once you get used to the way the CPU, you can adapt your game + Plus beating the CPU is helped this year by how overpowering the LB+Cross button is.

Legendary didn't seem particularly hard for me, but I was using a couple of assists.

quite liked the pace of the game, passing and shooting physics felt nice. tactical defending i swear i will never understand how to use contain... game doesn't seem as ice skaty as i always remember FIFA to be

I don't think the AI has changed much since FIFA 18, but it does play really annoying Tika Taka, which once you get used to can be easy to defend against.
This is the bit that totally ruins it for me - thankfully not all teams do it, but it's not an excuse. It shouldn't be in the game and without having access to the hardcoded "team styles" (which I'm convinced are still there) I don't think we can fix it with an edit, either.

The one saving grace is, I've just gone to a friend's house in my lunch hour and we've played a few games together, and it was absolutely fantastic. You get to see the best of the game when playing against another human being, because it's simply not possible (not even for the FUT kiddies I reckon*) to hammer the pass button and produce absolutely perfect first-time no-look tiki-taka. Even on fully-assisted default settings (we hit some wildly bad shots).

Thus, without needing to turn the speed down, it is naturally slower - truly spot-on. An even better experience than PES, too. It is 100% the AI that ruins the game.

*There will be other exploits and online will still be a barrel of shit I'm sure, don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot... I don't know that football will ever work online...

We played out two 0-0s, a 1-0 and a 2-0 - and the tactics difference between each team is clear (Tottenham trying to keep possession and keeping players close, Man United prioritising on counter-attacking, Man City constantly closing down).

The game absolutely shone. But then, it does with PES too when you play another person, even though it's a totally different style.

I just can't wait to see what can be achieved with the sliders. I'll hold my hands up, if not for sliders, I 100% wouldn't be buying the game.

So I downloaded the demo last night and had a game, Man Utd vs Juventus.

First off, I have always been a PES fan at heart, ISS Pro, then PES etc., loved PES from a young age, but then PES went downhill big time, so I reluctantly gave Fifa a try, the licenses were always a nice feature, but gameplay was never quite there. Then Fifa's gameplay started to improve, maybe around 2010 time, felt slower, more tactical. Anyway as Fifa improved PES got worse, but then around about 2015 the shift started happening, Fifa was getting more and more arcadey, and PES was starting to get good again. I have since bought PES 2016, 2017, 2018 and now 2019. In terms of Fifa I bought Fifa from 2010 up to 2017, I didnt buy 2018 as for the most part, I was happy with PES 18.

So here we are, I have PES19, and in many ways I really like it, graphically it's great, passing and shooting feels very good, you still have them 'only in PES' moments and it feels like a good game of football. However I am mainly playing Master League at the minute, with the online issues, and the AI in attack is ridiculous. It is ruining the game, the pass crosses is a joke, and the keepers not coming off the line doesn't help... oh and long shots? What are they? Thankfully the gameplay MOD (V2) has really improved the game and resolved a lot of these, but obviously it isn't perfect.

So I gave Fifa 19 demo a go... I turned it off after one game.

First things first, the presentation, fantastic. The players look great, not sure if they are as good as PES players, but the detail is great, tattoos etc., but PES probably looks more 'real'. But the crowd etc., fantastic. Commentary, whilst definitely 500x better than PES, wasn't as good as expected, the commentary felt quite slow and robotic to me? I think I heard they have different commentary for different modes, so others may be better.

When the game starts though, the grass looks a little flat compared to PES, definitely think PES looks better on the pitch.
Anyway, I am mainly about the gameplay - It is just too fast and perfect. Yes the AI misplaced the odd pass which was nice, but 90% of the time it was a perfect touch and little dribble then a pass hit at at supersonic speed to the next man, all within about 1 second. Then when the ball was near the box, boom the ball is in the back of the net with inch perfect precision. 2 goals from outside the box.

It just felt like I was playing the game after have 10 lines and 15 cans of redbull. Manic.

Their is no doubt some good features in the game... people have mentioned teams and players personality in the game, which I love the sound of, but I didn't notice it, because my eyeballs didn't get chance to notice it. If it was all slowed down everything wasn't so perfect, it would probably be pretty good... and I know with sliders you can adjust it, but I like playing online so I am not a fan of changing game-speed and such as I know it wont be like that when playing online.

I maybe should give it a few more games, but I couldn't wait to load PES back up.

So you've totally disregarded it after one 5-minute match? If you're going to nail your colours to a mast, I'd suggest giving them both equal play time otherwise it's hard to take opinions like this seriously.

^^ We're gonna need more Human friends then...
Oh I don't think it's acceptable for a game to only be playable with friends, don't get me wrong - I'm not making excuses... PES has always been great with friends, but I'm not buying a football game to use as a party game (like Mario Kart), I'm buying a football game to (primarily) play a season against the AI and be challenged from realistic football.

As I said - if there weren't any sliders and the pace etc. of this demo was all we had, there would be absolutely zero chance of me buying it. Which makes Konami's decision not to implement them in PES even more infuriating - I think we'd all be laughing at FIFA if they did. Seriously.

I'm coming from FIFA 16 to this. Does anyone else think that manual is a lot easier then it used to be? How manual is now I don't really see the need for semi and assisted, they would make the game to easy on any difficulty level I think.

Honestly, each to his own. But when I get with my friends, the last thing we want to do is play games.
We used to do that from 15 to probably 24, before going out, we'd play crazy amount of FIFA or PES games.
But now... we just drink, eat, talk and whatnot. I'm not judgning or anything, I swear. I'm just describing how things changed for us over the years.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, in my world, when I get a football game I want it to be GREAT VS AI first and foremost. Then comes the rest.
And FIFA seems to do a better job at what I need.

However, and I never though I would say this, PES 2019 has a great balance between AI aggressiveness, fouls, etc. FIFA is still a little behind in that regard. I got some fouls on the FIFA 19 demo though but not nearly close as in PES 2019.

This is the bit that totally ruins it for me - thankfully not all teams do it, but it's not an excuse. It shouldn't be in the game and without having access to the hardcoded "team styles" (which I'm convinced are still there) I don't think we can fix it with an edit, either.

The one saving grace is, I've just gone to a friend's house in my lunch hour and we've played a few games together, and it was absolutely fantastic. You get to see the best of the game when playing against another human being, because it's simply not possible (not even for the FUT kiddies I reckon*) to hammer the pass button and produce absolutely perfect first-time no-look tiki-taka. Even on fully-assisted default settings (we hit some wildly bad shots).

Thus, without needing to turn the speed down, it is naturally slower - truly spot-on. An even better experience than PES, too. It is 100% the AI that ruins the game.

*There will be other exploits and online will still be a barrel of shit I'm sure, don't get me wrong, I'm not an idiot... I don't know that football will ever work online...

We played out two 0-0s, a 1-0 and a 2-0 - and the tactics difference between each team is clear (Tottenham trying to keep possession and keeping players close, Man United prioritising on counter-attacking, Man City constantly closing down).

The game absolutely shone. But then, it does with PES too when you play another person, even though it's a totally different style.

I just can't wait to see what can be achieved with the sliders. I'll hold my hands up, if not for sliders, I 100% wouldn't be buying the game.

You should post some videos of this terrible AI that is ruining it for you 'cause I'm not seeing what you're talking about. For me it's night and day from PES in terms of AI.

Speaking specifically of defending against tiki taka, while both games have it, I'm finding it a pretty rare occurrence in the FIFA demo. But the biggest difference is that in PES you can't do anything about it because of all the space but I'm never feeling cheated or abused by the AI now in FIFA and I can almost get in a tackle. Which is probably why it's also too easy lol.

I find it odd that people aren't seeing fouls when I've seen two AI players sent off already - one of them being an absolutely ludicrous decision by the referee in all honesty (a Tottenham player flew in with a slide tackle in the penalty area, and missed the ball, but it was a badly timed tackle - not a horror tackle).

The second was similar to this, and I absolutely love that these "tackles" are red cards now (and that they don't have to be "proper" sliding tackles to count as a red card offence)...

Reddit: Very Impressed With The Referee Decision

You should post some videos of this terrible AI that is ruining it for you 'cause I'm not seeing what you're talking about. For me it's night and day from PES in terms of AI.
Will do. Perhaps when looking at them in video form, like the "sped-up games" in FIFA 18 (which feel so obviously sped up), it won't look so bad.

But I find the AI's alien-speed decision-making / desire to tiki-taka in the final third spoils the game.

I find it odd that people aren't seeing fouls

Bare in mind I only had the chance to play 4 games, and I've had 1 foul per game. So there are fouls in there, definitely. But I've had up to 9 fouls in one game on PES 2019 which made me get very happy.

I just watched a TrueBrit video of him playing the demo.

I like him, he says it how it is and can be quite critical of PES, and rightly so with the way the AI plays.

Anyway the way he plays it makes it look much better than the game I had! I think mainly because he didn't tiki taka the whole game, he got the ball down, dribbled a bit then passed. Which made it a much better game, but still the fact you can tika taka so easily and fast is a major downside for me.
I did notice some nice features though, the presentation really has to be applauded, and some of the animations and the way players collide and have them 50/50 battles, even off the ball, looks great.

Main gripe for me is the speed and accuracy of the passing, it's like the pitch is made of ice rather than grass.

Based on playing both demos, PES feels a bit better on the ball. Other than that though, this is better in just about every way, to me.

I play all manual and for me it's not easy, to be completely frank I have no interest in anyone's opinion on difficulty unless they're playing all manual, simply because semi/assisted = arcade and of course it will be easy.

Oh I see. So basically just add those lines anywhere in the.locale.ini then? Thanks, I'll try it later today

In theory yes :)

simply because semi/assisted = arcade
Oh Placebo, no no no, please don't start this... It doesn't equal arcade, it equals simulation based on attributes whereas manual equals every player is essentially the same generic player...

And if I play on manual, the AI continues to "play on assisted" (i.e. they don't misplace any passes and put tiki-taka together that is literally impossible on manual no matter how good you are), and I don't see that handicapping yourself is realistic...

But either way, that's my opinion, as is your opinion, neither is a fact!

I play all manual and for me it's not easy, to be completely frank I have no interest in anyone's opinion on difficulty unless they're playing all manual, simply because semi/assisted = arcade and of course it will be easy.

Well fair enough since we play with different settings but I strongly disagree that assisted must equal arcade and too easy. I play on default assistance with PES and I find Superstar quite tough, so I don't see why FIFA can't be the same.

But the other thing is that passing is only one component. Even if I play on manual, it's still too easy to defend against the CPU and it's still too easy to beat the CPU on the dribble. Neither of those issues have anything to do with manual.

whereas manual equals every player is essentially the same generic player...

Except that's not true, manual isn't completely manual and never really has been, manual passes with a good player stand out from manual passes with a bad player, I've played more than enough Fifa over the years to see that. Vision stat especially plays a bit part in it.

Well fair enough since we play with different settings but I strongly disagree that assisted must equal arcade and too easy.

Obviously it's my own feeling for the game, I want to win or lose on my own merits and that's the feeling I have when playing all manual in contrast to assisted or semi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom