FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Counter-attacking from a goal kick (23:29)? With everyone in position?

Nobody in the midfield is available, but rather than pass to a defender and slowly move up the field, he just humps it to the striker. It's Sunday League stuff - you'd accept it as a one-off, but it isn't a one-off.

Here's the beta, on World Class difficulty. Look at the tactics, and then watch how the AI plays. This is all of their attacks, in the opening 14 minutes.

There's tons of examples, but the most similar is this one - 27 secs. Free kick, from their own half. He's got a wing-back next to him, unmarked. A whole midfield unmarked. What does he do? Smashes it 60 yards forward.

(Yeah, the winger he aims for isn't marked well, but trust me - or don't - they are desperate to get the ball forward and they never hit it short.)

It's cleared back to their defence, and the defender heads it 30 yards straight forward, to someone who then kicks it 30 yards straight forward. It's all straight forward. They're DESPERATE (almost rabid) to get the ball forward.

"Simplistic", as you said, is right. It's a huge leap backwards and I can't quite believe it - it feels as though a whole level of code has just been removed.
Doesn't sit well with me. Its almost like they have watched how the "Kids" play FUT online where they just bypass the Midfield at every opportunity and decided "This is good, lets make the AI play like that".... :(

Doesn't sit well with me. Its almost like they have watched how the "Kids" play FUT online where they just bypass the Midfield at every opportunity and decided "This is good, lets make the AI play like that".... :(

It's not surprising, look at their own statements:

We heard from fans who were unhappy that the CPU kept possession for too long, leading to them just passing it back and holding on to the ball. Now, the CPU will play more directly while the player should have more of the ball. When the player has the more of the ball, they're having more fun.

https://www.easports.com/fifa/news/2016/fifa-17-active-intelligence-system

Can you blame them? Not even having a go at EA here as the simple fact is they are serving the fanbase who invest the most into the product. Konami do the same. They both are actually doing the right thing for the good of their games, and have been doing so for years now.

We need to take more accountability for the choices we make, instead of saying these developers and publishers are doing wrong by us.They simply aren't in the grander scheme of things, so the question everyone should ask themselves is "why am I doing this to myself?" as opposed to "why are EA/Konami doing this to me?"

I arsed myself to put together a post about this on the official FIFA forums. Here it is.

And here's a response I've just had.

Esrvqe2.png

FIFA will always be for kids, and PES will always have the world's most boring career modes.

Please kill me. Put me out of my misery.

I arsed myself to put together a post about this on the official FIFA forums. Here it is.

And here's a response I've just had.

Esrvqe2.png

FIFA will always be for kids, and PES will always have the world's most boring career modes.

Please kill me. Put me out of my misery.
Yeah I'm between games as well,since Pes is f....g us XVB1 players properly this year,so I'll guess I have to go FIFA this year,that's a first since -16
Verdict doesn't sound good on 18 Chris?

What are you guys smoking? How does this look good. A penalty in the first seconds of the match, which also looks so out of hand. Then Bale just moments later scores a goal where the guy is even shocked, didn't even realize it, no excitement. Then I closed it. But hey I love that camera.

Soooo only new thing in career mode is negotiations animations (with generic manager and no voice-overs) which all players will skip after a few days?!

Damn...
Why do players look like they are suffering when they have the ball?.
The best thing when you are actually playing football is to have the ball in your preferred foot. Yet in FIFA, it looks like players do not want to have it!

And, I know this has been mentioned before but... the size of the ball. I just can't get it out of my head. Anytime I watch a FIFA video it's so off-putting! How could that get past EVERY ONE working on the game?-

I doubt of a fully fledged fifa street mode in FIFA. It's probably 1 venue during journey mode. It'll be a good tease for the possible FIFA Street 5 release next year.

I wonder if Konami would make a PES Street, how would it play...

Damn...
Why do players look like they are suffering when they have the ball?.
The best thing when you are actually playing football is to have the ball in your preferred foot. Yet in FIFA, it looks like players do not want to have it!

And, I know this has been mentioned before but... the size of the ball. I just can't get it out of my head. Anytime I watch a FIFA video it's so off-putting! How could that get past EVERY ONE working on the game?-

Glad it wasn't just me who found it off. FIFA 18 has yet to impress me at all this year just like FIFA 17 last year. And we still haven't had the demo yet to find out that Skybet League 2 teams will play just as good as Real Madrid yet which will be the icing of the cake.

Put me out of my misery.
Kudos the posting on that forum. I was glad to see a few reasonable responses sharing your concern.

Perhaps the problem you have noticed could be partially mitigated by an AI 'directness' or 'use of long ball' slider? I know that is not an ideal substitute for teams naturally playing differently as themselves. But the Run Frequency slider does a lot to adjust the speed of AI attacks in FIFA 16 and earlier.

I think it's the perspective of the camera, I personally don't like the default camera I played the beta on Coop zoomed in a bit and it looked good
Can't be.

Cause when I zoom in using orbit camera/ or any cutscene showing the ball, in FiFA 17, the ball looks too small.

I read earlier that the AI lobs it forward all the time , I just watch man u v Chelsea and saw no evidence of that

I read earlier that the AI lobs it forward all the time , I just watch man u v Chelsea and saw no evidence of that
It's more that they bypass the midfield and only ever want to pass forwards, mate - I posted the Tottenham video to try and demonstrate what I mean. The demo will help (one way or another)...

Back
Top Bottom