FIFA 18 (Console Versions)

Does anyone think we will see 2K soccer ?
I think it's a big thing for us and 2K.
2K always outdoes EA in sports games, this could be revenge for the EA NFL exclusive license.
Be great to have 3 titles to choose from. I hope the fans can get 2K to do it. Would improve all 3 titles as competition would become stiff.

I think we can all agree that everyone's 'reality' is different. If I was a kid, and I saw this video, id steer clear... and go for what looks and plays more realistic. Pes 2018 videos (apart from some of the ways people play this game), looks much better this year. Fifa needs better player physics, better running animations (pes used to be bad but they seem so much improved this year), and of course bigger balls!!! A part of the 'package' is the 'realism', not just presentation and licencing. In 'reality', if I was a kid (still am), an average football gamer (I consider myself much more than this), id go for pes 2018.. and am!!! Will I play both demo's?? yes...but my mind is already made up.
i'm just talking about what the average kid sees in these games. I watched lots of videos and they got excited about these things. And hated PES because of lack of them. Licensing, animations, presentation.

i still think PES has a better penalty kick system

Last edited:
Having spent some time with the beta on pro clubs and FUT I feel FIFA has gone backwards overall the defending to control is very ...strange

I love football games where it takes skill to master defending its been a long time since it felt a challenge in a video game but i class it as broken in 18 it feels like the attackers have a huge advantage this year online and it doesnt help cbs auto run away to mark a player before you can switch leaving big gaps i guess the pace difference is welcome you can really skin slow defenders

so easy to score goals, but animations are still superior to PES.
10:47 you'll never see that shooting animation in PES.

Funny he says, i might get banned from EA for recording this, but i'm a fuckin savage! so i'll keep doing it until i get banned !

i love this kids loyalty to the video footballers.....

Last edited:
Well hes not doing any money from this, he cant. So yeah i appriciate the upload.

@Chris F***. What we gonna play then? Without good cpu FIFA worth nothing to me. I wanted FIFA to be my safety net if PES not appeals to me.

After watching those videos, it has become crystal clear to me that FIFA is aiming directly at kids/teenagers.
Everything about the gameplay (and graphics too) screams that.

I thought you can't judge football games by watching videos? :LOL:

I have played FIFA 18 and it's definitely a good evolution. Passing is crisper, dribbling is more responsive, game tempo is more realistic, it all feels a bit more PES like. Long passes are much more satisfying and actually useful. Defensively I was able to be quite compact if I made a few tactical tweaks, although it is hard to win the ball back as some people have pointed out. And yes the ball is too small, but after one match I kind of forgot about it.

You really can't judge FIFA based on videos this year. If you get two people that understand football it's a totally different experience to what some of these videos suggest. If I were to rate FIFA based on these videos I would give it a 3.5/10, in my games I played I'd give it an 8.5/10. That is how much difference there is. Changing to Coop cam also made it feel a lot better.

Also I don't understand people who obsess about how the game looks up close or in replays, yes it looks cartoony and PES has better faces, who cares? From gameplay cam FIFA still looks better largely because of the turfs and dynamic pitch wear. Given the pitch, i.e. that big green thing, is the thing you see most in a football game it's strange that Konami don't put more focus on it.

Right now I'm slightly more hyped about FIFA just because of the shooting.

Last edited:
The biggest problem for FIFA since FIFA 15 had been the linear scripted AI and it seems the same this year from everyone I have heard. So I will give it a pass.

I thought you can't judge football games by watching videos? :LOL:

You can't.
You can't judge whether the gameplay is good or bad. Or whether the game feels nice.
But you can see that it looks cartoonish and player models like kinda Frankensteinish, shoulders look like cold water is being poured on players backs, their torso is always toto straight, and their arms move weird.

Also I absolutely disagree about graphics from gameplay cam. PES 2018 pitches look far better, even if they don't have dynamic pitch wear or pitch getting scratched. Colors are very important in how real life football gets depicted in a game and how that makes us is perceived by our brains, making it more or less believable - When I watch a FIFA (any version of it) video, I just can't get immersed in it because it just looks off in this aspect.

Of course I will get FIFA 18 demo as soon as it's out and try it myself. I hope I'm wrong about. I actually would love to be wrong. I want to love it.

PES 2018 pitches look far better, even if they don't have dynamic pitch wear or pitch getting scratched. Colors are very important in how real life football gets depicted in a game and how that makes us is perceived by our brains, making it more or less believable - When I watch a FIFA (any version of it) video, I just can't get immersed in it because it just looks off in this aspect.

The night lighting in FIFA is poor, I think everyone knows that, but the pitches aren't really a contest. PES looks like one of those 3G pitches:

https://twitter.com/PesWarrior72/status/899003978654076929

Honestly, in my honest opinion, I am loving FiFA 18 grass more than PES ones. Not just because of details, but how low contrast the mow patterns are in PES. Looks almost bland. It was okay in PES 17 Ps4, why they reduced the contrast for no good reason?

Edit: Oh another important thing. Player LODS are far better on PES during gameplay cam. We can see the cloth creases moving in Pes durin gameplay. Default gameplay LODS of FiFA are still horrible. Thanks to Fidel, it was possible on FiFA 17 to have max lods. Who knows what will happen for FiFA 18.

PES turf and lightning looks much more realistic especially at night. FIFA for me only has better presentation and better career mode this year than PES. Shame PES didn't really work in Master League cause there are so many things that can be improved.

Shame PES didn't really work in Master League cause there are so many things that can be improved.
About 10 years ago, I'd play FIFA for the career mode because the ML never changed, and even though the gameplay was second-best, it was decent enough to get me through the decisions I'd made in my career to see if I'd made the right ones or not, and to see if my story would be a positive one. If I became a hero or a villain.

As much as I disliked the 18 beta (and feel that, from an AI perspective, it is a massive step backwards), going from the Premier League to the MLS gave two entirely different styles of gameplay. 100mph to 10mph, unrealistic precision to less accuracy.

The thought of a career spanning genuinely different styles - especially if player individuality can be brought out a little more by the tweaks the data editors are being asked to make (see @Scorpio's earlier post) - fills me with more excitement than that same bloody Master League. If (like me) you want to do more than just play the matches, it's an empty experience.

Now we've got career mode cut-scenes too, for everything from transfers to key player comparisons. A lot will find it annoying/repetitive, but a lot will find them engaging and that the immersion becomes deeper, giving the feeling that you're involved in an actual world of football, like SWOS used to do back in the day (dealing with transfers, contracts and thousands of other teams around the world for the first time).

There's one thing from the ML I'd like to see in FIFA, and that's the "team spirit" factor. Something that, ironically, Konami nicked from FIFA's Ultimate Team - yet FIFA have never considered putting it into the career mode, so that it doesn't become as simple as "buy all the best players, win all the games".

But I think it says so much, that the ML does a single thing better. Gameplay is so important - and I'm worried that the AI in FIFA 18 will destroy it for me (given my experience with the beta). But if it doesn't, this might be a return to those times.

I just hope that what EA do with the career modes this year really makes Konami sit up and take notice.

In other (i.e. actual) news... A new FIFA 18 gameplay trailer is due for release within the next two hours. EA are releasing their Gamescom content and a new gameplay trailer has been promised.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom